• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Sword and Shield anime speculation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ash is not going to be replaced for one simple reason: He is the face of the franchise, with Pikachu and TRio. If you replace Ash, you also need to replace TRio, since they cannot go without Ash (And the reverse as well). So its 5 characters that need to be replaced, not 1. And considering Pikachu is the mascot, the new 'protag' will also have a Pikachu (So whats the point?)
The new anime will probably be no different than the AU films of M20 and M21 I reckon. What it would be is a retelling of Ash travelling through the regions, collecting Gym Badges, battle the League, with Galar being the last stop, which by then would be 3-4 years too late, and would be when Gen 9 comes out.

He will most likely be featured in both series, but as two slightly different characters.

1. SwSh: A straightforward adaptation of SwSh using the SM art style (hence the movie animation).

2. Masters: AU Ash collects a badge from each of the 8 regions (we saw a glimpse of the Erika battle in the movie) and then goes to Pasio for the PML. A fast-paced series meant to boost interest in Masters and related merchandise.

And possible Gen 4 Remake since Cynthia is playing a sort of big role in Pokemon Masters.

Although in anime logic, if I would pic where the anime should've ended, is after Sinnoh because 1. The Region focuses on the creation of the universe. and 2. Sinnoh, along with Hoenn were originally supposed to be part of Kanto and Johto in the original Gen 2 Gold and Silver, so would perfect sense, since these four Gens took place on Japan to end there. Somehow the series just worked well in Japan, as the next 3, now 4 Gens outside Japan don't seem to. Not as much.

This is a major reason why I am not a big fan of the Unova region despite being American myself (although I know I'm in the minority on this board). While I liked what they did with the story involving N & Team Plasma, Gen V in general felt like a reboot of the franchise aimed at teenagers. I thought GameFreak fell too much into that misconception that NYC = America. NYC might be America's largest city, but it might as well be its own state it's so different from Upstate NY & New England (let alone the South or the West Coast). Heck, maybe even its own planet. As a B-type personality from the West Coast myself, I did not really enjoy visiting NYC proper as much as the rest of the northeast.

Kalos & Alola were definitely guilty of this as well, mind you, but I liked them somewhat more because I felt like they fit my personality better. But even so, one of the things that I liked about the first four regions is that they felt a lot more like Japan through the eyes of a real 10-year-old kid who lives there, rather than a foreign country through the eyes of a tourist. Kind of like how the Harry Potter series portrayed the UK.

And now...one of my fears since the day Pokémon Sword & Shield were revealed is that they'll make the same mistake with the Galar region and play every single British stereotype (well, except for all the pub & drinking stuff, for obvious reasons) completely straight. In fact I'm already getting kind of a Middle Earth vibe from the Galar region in many ways...

This is a major reason why I am not a big fan of the Unova region despite being American myself (although I know I'm in the minority on this board). While I liked what they did with the story involving N & Team Plasma, Gen V in general felt like a reboot of the franchise aimed at teenagers. I thought GameFreak fell too much into that misconception that NYC = America. NYC might be America's largest city, but it might as well be its own state it's so different from Upstate NY & New England (let alone the South or the West Coast). Heck, maybe even its own planet. As a B-type personality from the West Coast myself, I did not really enjoy visiting NYC proper as much as the rest of the northeast.

Kalos & Alola were definitely guilty of this as well, mind you, but I liked them somewhat more because I felt like they fit my personality better. But even so, one of the things that I liked about the first four regions is that they felt a lot more like Japan through the eyes of a real 10-year-old kid who lives there, rather than a foreign country through the eyes of a tourist. Kind of like how the Harry Potter series portrayed the UK.

And now...one of my fears since the day Pokémon Sword & Shield were revealed is that they'll make the same mistake with the Galar region and play every single British stereotype (well, except for all the pub & drinking stuff, for obvious reasons) completely straight. In fact I'm already getting kind of a Middle Earth vibe from the Galar region in many ways...
To me as a Brit myself, I do not like the idea of Galar's League being portrayed like it's the FIFA Football/Soccer World Championship, and have themes based on British Rock Music. Come on GF, there's more to the UK than just those two things? You have James Turner helping you, he can at least help you with understanding the UK better. I as a Brit can even recognise on the Galar map of which place is which, like Blackpool, Sherwood Forest, Peak District, Lake District, Liverpool, Kilburn, Manchester, Birmingham, London, etc.

Bottom line, Pokemon suits Japan better because that's the creator's home ground. They know their country far more than they know of the USA, France and the UK. With similar happening to all of us.

Wait I'm confused, where was it confirmed that we're getting two different series?
Not confirmed, but I've yet to see a better explanation that doesn't involve assuming that the teaser is grossly misleading.

The two series thing was just coined up by someone in case the trailer for the Sword and Shield anime does come out on Sunday. But after seeing this leak that would probably be expected to be revealed at that time, it's starting to become hardly likely.

Or they could make an actual announcement followed by a teaser, instead of just treating the latter like a big deal and making kids wait a full month for actual news. That Japanese magazine didn't necessarily leak everything; the leak happened by mistake.

What stereotypes they give a region in game and how the creators view a country can sometimes fun though. :D
And i don't think they always do a region with stereotypes, i think for example kalos is meant to be france but i don't think the regions meant to be that much serious and accurate.
I mean there is a ninja pokemon and ninja village(anime version). xD

Or they could make an actual announcement followed by a teaser, instead of just treating the latter like a big deal and making kids wait a full month for actual news. That Japanese magazine didn't necessarily leak everything; the leak happened by mistake.
I'm just hoping that it could be Pokemon Sword and Shield the anime, but with some of the old characters returning in Galar.

To me as a Brit myself, I do not like the idea of Galar's League being portrayed like it's the FIFA Football/Soccer World Championship, and have themes based on British Rock Music. Come on GF, there's more to the UK than just those two things?

Yeah, I am definitely much more of a nerd than a jock, so the whole football/soccer stuff with the Galar League, I'm not really digging either.

By the way, I'm currently in the middle of (slowly, as we learn more info about SwSh) writing a fanfiction on this board in which my Joseph Pokémon Trainer (from Sinnoh) meets and slowly starts to "ship" with a girl named Alice from the Kalos region. She is loosely based on Alice from Alice in Wonderland, but her personality is closer to Wally or Lillie. She mentions at one point that she probably would not have had any desire to take the Gym Challenge had she been born & raised in Galar, because she feels like it does not suit her. She is more of a shy type who enjoys art & books & bonding with her Pokémon during her journey, rather than winning & becoming popular & basking in the glory of being in the spotlight in front of 25,000 screaming fans in the various Stadiums throughout Galar.

Yeah, I am definitely much more of a nerd than a jock, so the whole football/soccer stuff with the Galar League, I'm not really digging either.

By the way, I'm currently in the middle of (slowly, as we learn more info about SwSh) writing a fanfiction on this board in which my Joseph Pokémon Trainer (from Sinnoh) meets and slowly starts to "ship" with a girl named Alice from the Kalos region. She is loosely based on Alice from Alice in Wonderland, but her personality is closer to Wally or Lillie. She mentions at one point that she probably would not have had any desire to take the Gym Challenge had she been born & raised in Galar, because she feels like it does not suit her. She is more of a shy type who enjoys art & books & bonding with her Pokémon during her journey, rather than winning & becoming popular & basking in the glory of being in the spotlight in front of 25,000 screaming fans in the various Stadiums throughout Galar.
Nice, and I see what you mean. I never like too many people tbt.

I too am also working on a fanzine Graphic Novel based on the anime. A Pokemon Chronicles type of story, to which I hope to release in November. Am already almost 50 Pages in since April, and what it'll be about is what is in my signature below...

Last edited:
Im not certain it's Ash's, buuuut if the new MC got Pikachu it would essentially just be Ash with a new coat of paint and what would even be the point

I'm not sure how you could judge what the hypothetical new!Ash would be like based on the possibility that he'd also own a Pikachu. Do we usually judge new characters based on their ace Pokemon... ?

I think OS,Advanced Generation,DP,BW,XY,SM are actually paralell universes, ash remembers character's from previous series because, i think the world are somehow connected to it ,but for example ash, misty and brock from sm arent the same from os even if they have similar memories.
The ash from movie 20 and 21 i feel is totally different ash he doesn't have any connection and his world as well, because he never befriend with misty brock or other companions from the other series, i think its totally different world.
But what i want to say now is if they want really make a totally new ash and let him travel through every region in this one series, and giving him companions like verity sorrel and lisa i really wish they would age they enter every new region and feel a little bit more development of characters and story.
I personally dont like the idea dont give much attention to galar region, but maybe this would also be also good opportunity.

I think OS,Advanced Generation,DP,BW,XY,SM are actually paralell universes, ash remembers character's from previous series because, i think the world are somehow connected to it ,but for example ash, misty and brock from sm arent the same from os even if they have similar memories.
The ash from movie 20 and 21 i feel is totally different ash he doesn't have any connection and his world as well, because he never befriend with misty brock or other companions from the other series, i think its totally different world.
But what i want to say now is if they want really make a totally new ash and let him travel through every region in this one series, and giving him companions like verity sorrel and lisa i really wish they would age they enter every new region and feel a little bit more development of characters and story.
I personally dont like the idea dont give much attention to galar region, but maybe this would also be also good opportunity.
They'll probably base Ash on the protagonist of Pokemon Masters instead.

But I still think Sword and Shield by the time they get to it will have been moved on. Not a very good marketing program. They might as well end Pokemon with Gen 7 and call it a day with this new anime.

...Arguably they've been doing very bad marketing recently, but that's Dexit and I'm sure you don't want 20 pages on Double Kick again.
2019 has been ups and downs for TPC lately. If this keeps up, then Gen 8 would probably be it's last.

last for mainline consoles, leaving it open for mobile gaming.

....Erm, look, I know that mobile gaming is a bit of a infestation, but I am very, very doubtful that Nintendo will just let them walk off their systems for big games. Nintendo has influence on where the titles go lest we forget: there is a reason there is no Playstation Vita/PSP Pokemon after all.

....Erm, look, I know that mobile gaming is a bit of a infestation, but I am very, very doubtful that Nintendo will just let them walk off their systems for big games. Nintendo has influence on where the titles go lest we forget: there is a reason there is no Playstation Vita/PSP Pokemon after all.
Plus I heard Mario Run isn't doing well due to the pricings within the microtransactions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom