• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Sword and Shield anime speculation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no idea, I just think it looks awful and I am worried about it, and since I am under the impression SM's art style change was for saving money, that is where some of the concern comes from.
Fortunately it won't be.... that's the good news

The bad news is that we are uncertain whether or not it is a continuation from SM to SwSh? For the placeholder for the title is in the same lyrics as the AU films. Plus there are words that say in translation "History takes you to all the worlds of Pokémon" .

Also, in the anime and even the movie for this year, there haven't been any Pokemon from Gen 8 shown to promote it, unlike the last Gens have. The last example was the Volcanion movie.

Isn't CGI supposed to be more expensive?

Usually.

Anyway, I would be surprised if there was ever a CGI Pokemon series. That is a ton of models they would have to create and that isn't cheap.

I'm assuming that it is, but then I remembered that saying 'you have to spend money to make money'. So perhaps they'd be willing to shell out the cash for a CGI series if it means that more people might tune in to watch the ShSw saga, thereby recuperating their losses.

Fortunately it won't be.... that's the good news

The bad news is that we are uncertain whether or not it is a continuation from SM to SwSh? For the placeholder for the title is in the same lyrics as the AU films. Plus there are words that say in translation "History takes you to all the worlds of Pokémon" .

Also, in the anime and even the movie for this year, there haven't been any Pokemon from Gen 8 shown to promote it, unlike the last Gens have. The last example was the Volcanion movie.
You're right. For these reasons, it is logical that people would be concerned that there won't be a Sword & Shield anime. I myself am, and I am fearing for the future of the franchise if this is the case and we don't get a Sword & Shield anime.

Yeah...I'm still not at all following the "there won't be a SwSh anime" train of thought. The anime literally exists to be advertising for the games; so long as there are console games released for the franchise, there will be an anime series to go along with it. Whether or not mobile gaming is going to overtake console gaming is an entirely different conversation, but for now, SwSh exists, it's going to be on the Switch, and it's going to be shown off in anime form.

They could always take a different format, like they did for SM, but to think there won't be a SwSh anime at all is just something that really doesn't make any sense.

When I first saw Masters revealed back in May, I was already concerned. Especially when they have just revealed Sword and Shield.

How strange that Sword and Shield's logo in Japanese is similar to that of the Pokemon brand and worldwide TV series logo.
Maybe a rebrand? Changing things like the Logo and Name. Since it says "Pokémon" and the Pokémon Anime has always been called "Pocket Monster"...

I'm not spelling doom and gloom to the series, I'm just looking at what we have got from the leak. The placeholder title has the same font style as the AU films, plus it describes "History takes you to all the worlds of Pokemon."
Placeholder title may be a rebrand, "History takes you to all worlds of Pokemon" might be referring to the Pokémon Anime as a whole.

I just hope all this speculation lasts for One Day and we get something tomorrow that shuts this negativity down. But we'll most likely get nothing and just a logo, this will continue for one more month. If it does, then I might have to take a break.

I hope we get info tomorrow (technically today?) for no other reason than it would stop a lot of this negativity. A lot of people here are acting like they know exactly what’s going to happen and that it’s been confirmed, when in reality we literally have what could just be a placeholder logo and a translated blurb (and idk who did the translation so can we even be sure it’s more than a google translate job?)

Just please give us something so we don’t have 125 more pages of the same three talking points...

I still think we'll likely only get a logo (maybe the placeholder one), and a date. Whether the date is going to be for an official announcement/trailer or for the actual series is up for debate.

In curious if we will see anything tonight. My dream is for something that resembles the sinnoh anime, but we're probably going to get something much worse than that. Hopefully I'm proven wrong. Also, please no CG. That would worse than another 3 years of a sun and moon styled anime.

I think it is, but hand-drawn animation, which is what the series currently is, is supposedly more time-consuming (so thus more expensive in the long run). At least that's from what I know though, I'm not too sure (forgive me I am not knowledgable on this. I'm a creative writing major not an art major and my roommate who is the art major is miles away).

___

I am hoping that we at least get a little teaser or some sort of knowledge. Just something so that we know if it's the SwSh anime they are talking about. I am pretty sure it is, and it's unreasonable to think that it wouldn't be, seeing as the anime is there to advertise the games. I want to be able to tell the little Pokemon fans who come into the bookstore I work in that Ash will be going to a new region soon.

Get ready everyone!

As someone who studied animation in Zurich, I can tell you that 2D cost much less but takes also much more time to make. And time is for many studies more valuable than money, which is the reason a lot of them choose CGI as the animation tool.

Also, the new announcement sucks! I hate it when companies do this: An announcement or an announcement.

Last edited:
Big oof. Well, I guess that means another month of speculation. I think it is safe to say though that this was likely just a lead-up thing, and that the next anime is the Sword and Shield anime.

At least now with that little announcement of the announcement out of the way, maybe we might see a visitor from Galar or something in this next month. Who knows though.

I guess we still have (likely) have another game trailer to reveal a character for more companion speculation XD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom