• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Sword and Shield anime speculation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It isn't about popularity anymore, mobile "gacha" games are more profitable even if there are just some thousand players that play it, rather the main games that everytime sells 15mio examples.
It's all about whalers that decide what games will have a future and which not.
And, now I fear that the main series will die and Pokemon would become a mobile only franchise.

@Rath People have had it for a Month already due to VPN and Singapore and Canada getting it earlier on.

@RileyXY1 That is true, maybe SWSH will bring people back and end up toppling Masters; but we'll have to wait and see until than.

@Rath People have had it for a Month already due to VPN and Singapore and Canada getting it earlier on.

@RileyXY1 That is true, maybe SWSH will bring people back and end up toppling Masters; but we'll have to wait and see until than.

Still, with how long it takes to produce anime, Masters release is too recent to have an impact.

Obviously, I am going to wait to see how well this new series is executed, maybe it turns out to be pretty well written after all and doesn't actually feel very much like a reboot of the series...but I can't say I am hopeful. I think that no matter how good this new nostalgia series ends up being, a big part of me will always look at this as a huge missed opportunity. I feel like the first ever Generation on the Switch deserves so much more.

I remember I went through this with the Let's Go games, and everybody was completely crapping on LGPE: "Oh, they're just yet another Kanto remake for nostalgia's sake, it's an obvious cash grab blatantly aimed at families with little kids, yada yada yada" And I too was definitely on the skeptical side myself at first and was leaning towards passing on those games entirely...but in the end I did get Let's Go Eevee since I needed a Christmas present from my grandmother, and in the end I felt the game was nowhere near as bad as I had feared it would be.

But even so, I worry that Gen VIII going to be similar to Gen VI where the Kalos region had a lot of potential (and I do feel that X & Y are definitely underrated games), but yet it was largely overshadowed by ORAS while all the loose ends from the memorable XY anime (Ash-Greninja and Zygarde's Formes) were shoehorned into the original Sun & Moon and felt very out of place. If Gen IV remakes on the Switch in 2020 do in fact end up happening, I truly believe there will be a lot of players who end up liking those games better than Sword & Shield.

Only this time, there won't even be a proper anime series to help us remember the Galar region once Gen IX comes around...

Last edited:
And, now I fear that the main series will die and Pokemon would become a mobile only franchise.
I think as long as Nintendo make consoles, Nintendo will need always a pokemon games for their consoles.
The only thing is TPC will not focus on main games because it's not seem to be profitable enough for them.
Can we say that the mobile games will become main games instead, while game freak maked games become spin off officially?

I think as long as Nintendo make consoles, Nintendo will need always a pokemon games for their consoles.
The only thing is TPC will not focus on main games because it's not seem to be profitable enough for them.
Can we say that the mobile games will become main games instead, while game freak maked games become spin off officially?
I don't think that they would ever change the definition of what constitutes a "main series" game. The success of Masters has also gotten me worried that the main series would add gacha elements in the future.

I don't think that they would ever change the definition of what constitutes a "main series" game. The success of Masters has also gotten me worried that the main series would add gacha elements in the future.

Pokemon GO took a bit to do anything to the main series, and that was a spin offish Let's Go and possibly the Raid battles of Sw SH

One leaker that hinted of Pokemon Masters back before it's official reveal in May, said that the game was worked on around the same time as SwSh back in 2016, so there is still that possibility that the anime will end up focusing more on Masters and less on SwSh.

One leaker that hinted of Pokemon Masters back before it's official reveal in May, said that the game was worked on around the same time as SwSh back in 2016, so there is still that possibility that the anime will end up focusing more on Masters and less on SwSh.
Considering that the announcement said that it would feature all regions, I think that this is the case.

What i'm really curious now is who will be companion of ash?
Will it be the same like in kanto/johto misty brock, hoenn may max brock etc
Or will we get new companions like verity, sorrel or lisa?
And if there will be all regions in "one series", will be the characters age they enter every new region?

I don't know if anyone noticed it in 20 movie ash was 10-11 and in ash's dream where ash goes to school you can see the children don't have uniforms in japan uniforms beginn in middle school.
In 21 movie, lisa is meant to be high schooler and if i see lisa with ash they seem to be have similar heigh and age i really asked in this movie if ash was really in high schooler age in this movie?

Apparently, the anime is still mainly set in Galar according to the blurb, but it will also feature all the other regions.

""The new "Pocket Monsters" series that was announced today will of course be set in the Galar region from the video games "Pocket Monsters Sword/Shield", which will be released November 15th, but also in all the other regions that have appeared in the video games so far, including the Kanto region from the original "Red/Green" games and the Jouto region from the sequels "Gold/Silver"."

I say it will be either new companions or in each region, Ash visits, he will have new ones. Misty and Brock for Kanto and Johto, Serena, Clemont, and Bonnie for Kalos, etc. Either that or he will have for the entire series brand new companions like he had with Tracy during the Orange League. Characters that are not related to the games.

Last edited:
I say it will be either new once, or in each region, he visits he will have new once. Misty and Brock for Kanto and Johto, Serena Clemon and Bonnie for Kalos, etc. Either that or he will have for the entire series brand new companions with Tracy. Characters that are not related to the games.
I doubt we will see the old companions, they will do similar stories each region just with other characters.
Just prediction.
I mean it was with i choose you, and powe of us movie the same right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom