• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Sword and Shield anime speculation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I doubt we will see the old companions, they will do similar stories each region just with other characters.
Just prediction.
I mean it was with i choose you, and powe of us movie the same right?
This might not be the same, considering the existence and success of Pokemon Masters.

Apparently, the anime is still mainly set in Galar according to the blurb, but it will also feature all the other regions.

""The new "Pocket Monsters" series that was announced today will of course be set in the Galar region from the video games "Pocket Monsters Sword/Shield", which will be released November 15th, but also in all the other regions that have appeared in the video games so far, including the Kanto region from the original "Red/Green" games and the Jouto region from the sequels "Gold/Silver"."
So it will start with Galar, then will go to the past seven Gens. Perhaps the Gen 4 Remake will be featured along with when they will focus on Sinnoh.

Wow...I'm not excited about this at all.

I usually try and be pretty positive, but I'm just not confident that this show can pull this off. They seem to struggle focusing on just one region at a time; I'm having a hard time even imagining how they're going to focus on 8+.

I also can't help but to fear that Galar is now going to get the short end of the stick. Whether people personally liked their individual series or not, each region got an entire series to themselves. And some have gotten more than one (looking at you, Kanto!) Now Galar has to share with all the others? That seems pretty weak.

But my biggest fear is Ash getting dropped off the show completely (yes, we exist). He's been my favorite character since the anime first started, and I honestly think seeing him replaced after 20+ years would just be jarring at this point, especially when we all know he'd just be replaced by some other kid with a Pikachu. And then what happens with Team Rocket? They might not always be my favorites, but I still cannot imagine the anime without them.

This is just my stream of consciousness at this point, and I'm trying to not get too disappointed since we still have such a long time to wait for more information, but it's not easy when they try to make this whole "announcement" (and I use that term very loosely) as a big hype up...and then make you wait an entire month for more information on what sounds to be a pretty radical change to a show that's remained mostly consistent for 20+ years.

The one thing I can say is that the date does seem to line up with what would likely be the end of the Alola League. Some of the suggestions here along the lines of Ash winning the league and then travelling as a champion or to further his goal of becoming a Pokemon Master could explain why they're holding out so long on giving out more concrete information on the next series...they don't want to give anything away before the league actually concludes. So that does make sense to me...but perhaps too much sense. It honestly sounds too good to be true.

Today was just the reminder to stop getting my hopes up about this series (which I, for some reason, seem to forget constantly even though it happens over and over again.)

Am I the only one sane enough here to not believe this whole "They're doing a Pokémon Master anime to replace the old one! AHHHHH!" nonsense? 'Cause, all of a sudden, it really feels like the forums have been overtaken by way to much negative hysteria.

Let's all just take a long breath and look at an undeniable fact. The fact that they've never done a full-fledged anime series for any of the other spin-off games. Not for the Stadium games or Colosseum and XD, which were quite popular. Not for Detective Pikachu, an easy-to-adapt story driven game that was gaining a lot of attention. Not for the Ranger games or the Mystery Dungeons ones or Pokémon Snap, with the closest we've ever gotten to something like an anime series based on these games being a few specials based on some these games or characters form them appearing in the main anime.

Not even Pokémon GO received this kind of (hypothetical) attention. And that game was arguably the biggest Pokémon event of Gen 7, which continues to make millions of dollars to this day, with many considering it to be the start of Pokémania 2.0. Heck, in fact, nothing form GO has even been referenced or adapted in the anime.

So why would they suddenly decide to base an entire series on a recent mobile game (one that wasn't even released at the time they were working on this new series)?

Last edited:
Am I the only one sane enough here to not believe this whole "They're doing a Pokémon Master anime to replace the old one! AHHHHH!" nonsense? 'Cause, all of a sudden, it really feels like the forums have been overtaken by way to much negative hysteria.

Let's all just take a long breath and look at an undeniable fact. The fact that they've never done a full-fledged anime series for any of the other spin-off games. Not for the Stadium games or Colosseum and XD, which were quite popular. Not for Detective Pikachu, an easy-to-adapt story driven game that was gaining a lot of attention. Not for the Ranger games or the Mystery Dungeons ones or Pokémon Snap, with the closest we've ever gotten to something like an anime series based on these games being a few specials based on some these games or characters form them appearing in the main anime.

Not even Pokémon GO received this kind of (hypothetical) attention. And that game was arguably the biggest Pokémon event of Gen 7, which continues to make millions of dollars to this day, with many considering it to be the start of Pokémania 2.0. Heck, in fact, nothing form GO has even been referenced or adapted in the anime. So why would they base an entire series on a recent mobile game (one that wasn't even released at the time they were working on this new series)?
cough Meltan cough Melmetal cough

They have shown the Pokemon Go pokemon in Sun and Moon, and even Ash has one.

Also, from what we could imagine is Ash given an endorsement to compete in the Pokemon World Championship, where he has to travel to each Region to win a badge there, with the finals taking place either in Galar or Pasio.

cough Meltan cough Melmetal cough

They have shown the Pokemon Go pokemon in Sun and Moon, and even Ash has one.

Also, from what we could imagine is Ash given an endorsement to compete in the Pokemon World Championship, where he has to travel to each Region to win a badge there, with the finals taking place either in Galar or Pasio.
I don't think that they'll do that unless they're literally going to end the entire franchise.

Not even Pokémon GO received this kind of (hypothetical) attention. And that game was arguably the biggest Pokémon event of Gen 7, which continues to make millions of dollars to this day, with many considering it to be the start of Pokémania 2.0. Heck, in fact, nothing form GO has even been referenced or adapted in the anime. So why would they base an entire series on a recent mobile game (one that wasn't even released at the time they were working on this new series)?
Game freak made a game for GO as well even the anime puts some elements of GO as well.
And gacha games makes extremly amount of money, it doesn't even need to be a popular game.
Games like FGO for example don't come near of the popularity of Pokemons console games but made way way more profit than all of the console games pokemon made.
Thats why TPC is going to the gacha mobile game road.

Game freak made a game for GO as well even the anime puts some elements of GO as well.
And gacha games makes extremly amount of money, it doesn't even need to be a popular game.
Games like FGO for example don't come near of the popularity of Pokemons console games but made way way more profit than all of the console games pokemon made.
Pokemon Go made more revenue in 2 years than the entire series had in it's over 20 year existence.

I've seen the future, it's egg shaped and something hideous is about to hatch from it.

Citation needed. Badly. 'Cause, outside of Meltan/Melmetal (which, again, are tied more to Let's Go than to GO), they haven't put anything from GO into the anime. And when I say GO, I literally mean GO. Not LGPE, which are still mainline Pokémon games that use some gameplay elements from GO.

Pokémon candies don't appear in the anime. Nor do Poké Stops. Or GO-exclusive items, like the Sinnoh Stone or the Golden/Silver berries. Or GO-exclusive characters, like Professor Willow. Nothing from GO.

And how does this relate to the new series? Last I checked, TPC doesn't make the anime.

Not to mention that the idea that the mobile games will overtake the main Pokémon games is still kind of absurd. Considering the flak GF got for the whole Natinal Dex debacle, I find it very hard to believe that they'll incorporate gatch mechanics into their games, considering how hated these are,

Citation needed. Badly. 'Cause, outside of Meltan/Melmetal (which, again, are tied more to Let's Go than to GO), they haven't put anything from GO into the anime. And when I say GO, I literally mean GO. Not LGPE, which are still mainline Pokémon games that use some gameplay elements from GO.

Pokémon candies don't appear in the anime. Nor do Poké Stops. Or GO-exclusive items, like the Sinnoh Stone or the Golden/Silver berries. Or GO-exclusive characters, like Professor Willow. Nothing from GO.

And how does this relate to the new series? Last I checked, TPC doesn't make the anime.

Not to mention that the idea that the mobile games will overtake the main Pokémon games is still kind of absurd. Considering the flak GF got for the whole Natinal Dex debacle, I find it very hard to believe that they'll incorporate gatch mechanics into their games, considering how hated these are,
Masters on the otherhand is a completely different beast entirely when it comes to microtransactions. Unlike Go, Masters is a Gacha Game, and they are HUGE in Japan at the moment, in popularity, in money, in simplicity, in story. This is every evil team's dream come true, and TPC is no different at this point.

It's obvious to see that GF is trying to make the games more like the mobile games, when mobile gaming is already winning out. Now with this new anime coming out, it'll end up becoming just that to promote Masters more with SwSh pushed onto the sidelines, an afterthought.

Can someone clarify what this means please?

''The anime is to be set in all regions featured so far and feature Pokémon from each of the regions''

Instead of Sword and Shield being set in Galar, it will feature all the regions or is this something unrelated

And some have gotten more than one (looking at you, Kanto!)
Not really (the Battle Frontier saga only showcased Pallet, Pewter and "Saffron"), not to mention that the real Kanto saga was only 80 episodes long.

But my biggest fear is Ash getting dropped off the show completely (yes, we exist).
At most he'll be replaced with the AU version, who is barely different. Continuity has never mattered since DP ended.

The one thing I can say is that the date does seem to line up with what would likely be the end of the Alola League. Some of the suggestions here along the lines of Ash winning the league and then travelling as a champion or to further his goal of becoming a Pokemon Master could explain why they're holding out so long on giving out more concrete information on the next series...they don't want to give anything away before the league actually concludes. So that does make sense to me...but perhaps too much sense. It honestly sounds too good to be true.
The league will end in two weeks, so there is a a two-week gap between the events. Besides, I don't see why they would suddenly use the Pocket Monsters logo from Movie 20 for the original Ash. They dropped it for Movie 22.

Pulsaro23 said:
Not even Pokémon GO received this kind of (hypothetical) attention. And that game was arguably the biggest Pokémon event of Gen 7, which continues to make millions of dollars to this day, with many considering it to be the start of Pokémania 2.0. Heck, in fact, nothing form GO has even been referenced or adapted in the anime.

So why would they suddenly decide to base an entire series on a recent mobile game (one that wasn't even released at the time they were working on this new series)?
  1. Go takes place in the real world. That would change the premise of the anime too much.
  2. Masters has been planned for 2-3 years.
  3. The anime doesn't need to bother with Pasio or the Masters-exclusive elements. But the fact of the matter is that it will feature the older regions, and it's hard to believe that this is unrelated to Masters. It makes sense to promote older characters to get kids invested in Masters.

I don't really see the point of an anime series that's meant to act more as Pokemon Masters promo than Shield & Sword promo. Pokemon Masters is a completely pointless side game with money-grabbing micro transactions and much like Pokemon Go, I can't see its popularity lasting for too long; it seems like it'll be a quick fad before fizzling out within a few months at best imo. Meanwhile Shield & Sword are core games, so you'd think that the new series would focus exclusively on Galar related stuff instead of pandering to a fad in-the-making. I dunno, maybe I'm just sleep deprived and can't think straight, but that's my thought process.

I don't really see the point of an anime series that's meant to act more as Pokemon Masters promo than Shield & Sword promo. Pokemon Masters is a completely pointless side game with money-grabbing micro transactions and much like Pokemon Go, I can't see its popularity lasting for too long; it seems like it'll be a quick fad before fizzling out within a few months at best imo. Meanwhile Shield & Sword are core games, so you'd think that the new series would focus exclusively on Galar related stuff instead of pandering to a fad in-the-making. I dunno, maybe I'm just sleep deprived and can't think straight, but that's my thought process.
But unlike Pokemon Go, Pokemon Masters is a Gacha Game. where it's based on something similar to gambling. It's illegal for children to gamble, but now they've found a way around it. Now the governments are trying to crack down on it, with the gaming companies trying to foil it every step of the way. If they keep this up, then we will end up seeing a worldwide video game crash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom