• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Sword and Shield anime speculation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe I've misunderstood what they mean by the next series being set in all the regions featured, the idea has potential if each region gets the right amount of screen time and focus, different main characters for each region which will hopefully allow some Pokemon more focus

Well that was disappointing. I'm not sure if it would have been worse if we didn't have the information leaked a few days ahead of time. The panic might have been more intense at least.

Needless to say, this was not really worthy of a world exclusive announcement. It was indeed an announcement for an announcement, which is just lame. Knowing that we have to wait nearly a whole month before getting any actual information on the new series is just so annoying and disappointing. I was hoping to get at least some more solid information than that. I'd honestly be surprised if they do end up going with the reboot route. It made sense to do that with the movies, but I'm not sure if the main series really needs a full reboot. Even though all of the series have been set within the same continuity, they're all pretty stand alone series. You don't need to watch any of the previous series to follow SM and Ash's characterization can change significantly from one series to another. So I don't know why they'd want to do a reboot now. It just seems kind of unnecessary when we're even lucky to get any meaningful reference to previous series nowadays.

Now having the anime showcase different regions and Pokemon could be interesting, although hopefully the bulk of the attention will be on the Galar region and the new Pokemon. I really don't know if they'd want to have the series be influenced by Pokemon Masters. It has already gotten quite a bit of attention for a mobile game, but making a series more focused on that as opposed to Sword/Shield just seems kind of weird.

The worst part for me is definitely all of the panic doom and gloom reactions for the franchise and how that will take over the thread for another month. It just seems a bit much to me to assume the worst based on such little information. More speculation over who the companions will be is also a bit tiresome for me, but at least I figured that the chances of finding out who the new cast would be weren't too high. I'm still hoping that whatever information we get on the 29th will be worthwhile, but the wait to get any meaningful information to speculate on the next series is definitely going to be annoying.

Well that was disappointing. I'm not sure if it would have been worse if we didn't have the information leaked a few days ahead of time. The panic might have been more intense at least.

Needless to say, this was not really worthy of a world exclusive announcement. It was indeed an announcement for an announcement, which is just lame. Knowing that we have to wait nearly a whole month before getting any actual information on the new series is just so annoying and disappointing. I was hoping to get at least some more solid information than that. I'd honestly be surprised if they do end up going with the reboot route. It made sense to do that with the movies, but I'm not sure if the main series really needs a full reboot. Even though all of the series have been set within the same continuity, they're all pretty stand alone series. You don't need to watch any of the previous series to follow SM and Ash's characterization can change significantly from one series to another. So I don't know why they'd want to do a reboot now. It just seems kind of unnecessary when we're even lucky to get any meaningful reference to previous series nowadays.

Now having the anime showcase different regions and Pokemon could be interesting, although hopefully the bulk of the attention will be on the Galar region and the new Pokemon. I really don't know if they'd want to have the series be influenced by Pokemon Masters. It has already gotten quite a bit of attention for a mobile game, but making a series more focused on that as opposed to Sword/Shield just seems kind of weird.

The worst part for me is definitely all of the panic doom and gloom reactions for the franchise and how that will take over the thread for another month. It just seems a bit much to me to assume the worst based on such little information. More speculation over who the companions will be is also a bit tiresome for me, but at least I figured that the chances of finding out who the new cast would be weren't too high. I'm still hoping that whatever information we get on the 29th will be worthwhile, but the wait to get any meaningful information to speculate on the next series is definitely going to be annoying.

I feel the idea has potential, Kanto gym battles could be way better then they originally were, underused Pokemon could get more focus and we would have a wide variety

I don't really see the point of an anime series that's meant to act more as Pokemon Masters promo than Shield & Sword promo. Pokemon Masters is a completely pointless side game with money-grabbing micro transactions and much like Pokemon Go, I can't see its popularity lasting for too long; it seems like it'll be a quick fad before fizzling out within a few months at best imo. Meanwhile Shield & Sword are core games, so you'd think that the new series would focus exclusively on Galar related stuff instead of pandering to a fad in-the-making. I dunno, maybe I'm just sleep deprived and can't think straight, but that's my thought process.

I don't see what the issue here is since they are promoting SS.

1. Go takes place in the real world. That would change the premise of the anime too much.
  2. Masters has been planned for 2-3 years.
  3. The anime doesn't need to bother with Pasio or the Masters-exclusive elements. But the fact of the matter is that it will feature the older regions, and it's hard to believe that this is unrelated to Masters. It makes sense to promote older characters to get kids invested in Masters.

1. Not exactly. Willow specializing in the distribution of Pokémon around the globe would still make sense within the anime, even if it's not related to the real world. Golden Razz Berries and Silver Pinap Berries could've still appeared in the anime, with the explanation being that they come from a special/rare subspecies of Razz/Pinap Berry bushes or that they're some kind of hybrid fruits. The Raid Battles and GO's version of gyms could've still been adapted into a Team CTF tournament or something. It being based on the real world didn't and wouldn't stop them form adapting elements (such as items or characters, at the very least) from it

2. So? It's still a spin-off game. And it having been in development for some time doesn't change that.

3. We don't know how they'll handle the visiting of the past regions. So we can't say for certain that the premise is based on or even inspired by Masters.

What people think will happen:

Same Ash as OS-SM
Return of Past Companions
Main Focus on Galar
Nicely Paced Gym Battles in each Region

What will actually happen:

Ash from AU - M20 & M21
Zero References even to M20 & M21
No Companions
Kanto Pandering
Fast Paced Gym Battles like we saw in Origins and Generations

Citation needed. Badly. 'Cause, outside of Meltan/Melmetal (which, again, are tied more to Let's Go than to GO), they haven't put anything from GO into the anime. And when I say GO, I literally mean GO. Not LGPE, which are still mainline Pokémon games that use some gameplay elements from GO.

Pokémon candies don't appear in the anime. Nor do Poké Stops. Or GO-exclusive items, like the Sinnoh Stone or the Golden/Silver berries. Or GO-exclusive characters, like Professor Willow. Nothing from GO.

And how does this relate to the new series? Last I checked, TPC doesn't make the anime.

Not to mention that the idea that the mobile games will overtake the main Pokémon games is still kind of absurd. Considering the flak GF got for the whole Natinal Dex debacle, I find it very hard to believe that they'll incorporate gatch mechanics into their games, considering how hated these are,
Well game freak had bringing the ideas in LGPE from GO though and i don't think the main games will die as well.
As long as nintendo consoles need the main games it will be alive.
I don't personally think sword and shield are bad games they look actually awesome and i do think game freak will do make good game in future.
The problem is though TPC don't see the main games profitable at all anymore, and you see the main games getting less importance at least for TPC.
And thats why i think we will see less adv for the main games in anime, but it wont surely completely ignored.
Because TPC still needs Game Freak for creating new pokemons and charas for merchandising

@Pulsaro23

1. So they didn't promote the grand total of four exclusive characters. Kids don't care about berries, and Raid Battles would have clashed with Alola's style too much for little gain. They were also added late to Go.

2. Are you arguing that they'd only agree to promote the game months after its release? Based on what precedent, exactly? Even Rangers' anime promotion started before the games' release.

3. So you think that it's only about nostalgia. Kind of a silly reason to argue when Masters is so nostalgia-driven.

Pardon my french, but what the fuck is going on right now? Okay, first I want to say that I would have rather they told us nothing until September 29th, that "announcement for an announcement" crap was just pointless and unnecessary. Second, there's now there's probably going to be an exhausting month of drama all over this potentially being a reboot, and I'm not sure if I'm prepared to see that because that means I'm going to be nervous af to want to post here on this thread which mind you I've been enjoying up until recently. I'm sorry, I'm just mad and needed to vent some frustrations out.

So the new series is going to be a muti-region reboot/ anthology series? Never thought i'd ever be more excited for an upcoming Pokemon series than i am for the upcoming main game.

So basically all 100+ Pages of speculation in the past few months are basically a waste now since the Anime is going to be vastly different.

Well, I understand the announcement as saying "a series focused on all 8 regions will be announced" not as "the next series of the Pokemon anime will focus on all 8 regions..."

I'm sure I'll be angry and upset at whatever is announced, but I'm letting myself be open minded to the idea that there could be an alternate / additional anime in conjunction with Ash and Pikachu's adventures.

And if the main anime series is indeed ending in some form, I would only be angry at the fact it ended with the dumpster fire SM anime.

The blurb simply states that it will take place in Galar along with the other regions, not mainly Galar.
I think a possibility we're all ignoring is that it could be an attempt to adapt Pokemon Special/Adventure one region at a time, which is the best case scenario imo - Ash really needs a break.

1. So they didn't promote the grand total of four exclusive characters. Kids don't care about berries, and Raid Battles would have clashed with Alola's style too much for little gain. They were also added late to Go.

Since when does it matter how many characters are in a game in order for it to be promoted by the anime? Last I check, Pokémon Snap had only one original character and yet, that one character still appeared in the anime. Not to mention that Pokémon Rangers was promoted by the inclusion of exactly 4 rangers in the anime.

Whether kids would care about it or not doesn't change the fact that these berries are important resources within the game that could've been used to, at least, allude to it.

As for Raid Battles not matching Alola's atmosphere... isn't Ash in a school? Meaning that, if they wanted to promote GO, they could've organised a school trip to another region that hosts Raid Battle-like tournaments (like they did for the Kanto pandering 20th anniversary)?

2. Are you arguing that they'd only agree to promote the game months after its release? Based on what precedent, exactly? Even Rangers' anime promotion started before the games' release.

No, I was questioning the importance of the fact that Masters' been in development for the past 3 years. The way you worded it made it sound like that's somehow an explanation as to why it's supposedly getting its own anime series.

3. So you think that it's only about nostalgia. Kind of a silly reason to argue when Masters is so nostalgia-driven.

I think that we should wait for some concrete info to pop up before we start spreading the idea that some kind of Pokémon Masters-induced fever has taken over everyone that's working on anything related to Pokémon.

I don't see what the issue here is since they are promoting SS.

I said "meant to act more as Pokemon Masters promo than Shield & Sword promo" because all the core regions will supposedly be featured, which will obviously cut into Galar's screentime and make the saga into a collage of regions that won't focus exclusively on Gen 8. ShSw promo is going to be rather minimal imo if it has to compete with 7 other Gens.

If AU Ash is the main character, I wonder what his team will look like. Pikachu is given, but would they really go all out on nostalgia and have his team Kanto heavy?

I think that we should wait for some concrete info to pop up before we start spreading the idea that some kind of Pokémon Masters-induced fever has taken over everyone that's working on anything related to Pokémon.
For the record, I don't think that there is a Masters fever. I just think that it has something to do with the change in direction, and that the new series will incorporate the general idea of a Masters League (which really started with the PWT, but the anime refused to truly incorporate it) with lots of notable characters, instead of just Ash and two notable rivals (and fodder).

game3524 said:
Pikachu is given, but would they really go all out on nostalgia and have his team Kanto heavy?
1-2 Pokemon per region would be my bet.

Last edited:
So basically all 100+ Pages of speculation in the past few months are basically a waste now since the Anime is going to be vastly different.

To be fair the discussions have mainly been circular and redundant for several months now and people like Champion Cynthia have kept things going by repeating themselves often and posting every few minutes, so it wasn't hard to reach 100+ pages. And frankly some of the predictions that people made might still come true like which new Starter Ash might get since I can't see the writers resisting the urge to promote them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom