• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Sword and Shield anime speculation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not really (the Battle Frontier saga only showcased Pallet, Pewter and "Saffron"), not to mention that the real Kanto saga was only 80 episodes long.

At most he'll be replaced with the AU version, who is barely different. Continuity has never mattered since DP ended.

The league will end in two weeks, so there is a a two-week gap between the events. Besides, I don't see why they would suddenly use the Pocket Monsters logo from Movie 20 for the original Ash. They dropped it for Movie 22.

I don't disagree on either of those fronts. I actually love Kanto. But you just know them featuring it again is only going to lead to the usual "Kanto pandering" complaints, which is disappointing.

AU Ash might honestly be worse than a total replacement character. I can only imagine the fandom outrage if he wins the Alola League and then they just basically pretend it never happened and reboot with a "different" version of the same character, or if he loses and then they, well, do the same. I know they have a terrible track record with continuity (and I really wish they would work on that) but it still makes such little sense to me. I get it for the movies, since they really have no connection at all to the show, but in my opinion, it's going to feel really cheap in the scope of the show to do that. To just erase 20+ years of time spent on a character (where there is some continuity, as little as it may have become over time) and use a different version of him just seems like a waste.

Really, the worst part of this whole thing is now there's going to be a whole extra month of totally blind speculation. At least before everyone kind of had a template to go off of (travelling companions, gym battles, Pokemon, etc) Now...it's just totally wild guessing. I enjoy speculating with people, but it does start to get exhausting, especially when it gets dragged out like this.

For the record, I don't think that there is a Masters fever. I just think that it has something to do with the change in the direction, and that the new series will incorporate the general idea of a Masters League (which really started with the PWT, but the anime refused to truly incorporate it) with lots of notable characters, instead of just Ash and two notable rivals (and fodder).

1-2 Pokemon per region would be my bet.

Yeah, that may happen.

Granted, signature Pokemon seems to be a thing in Pokemon Masters, and the Pokemon Ash is generally associated with (Pikachu, Charizard etc) are all Kanto based. So it makes me wonder if they would keep the teams of Ash/main cast ( if there is one) regional based.

What annoying bait, I think they really want their fans to be up in arms because I guess bad attention is better than no attention at all?

I really can't understand what using an AU Ash would do for them. They make adjustments to Ash as it is, but if they used an AU Ash then we have next to no history/know nothing about him. In order to character build across 8 regions the anime would be very shallow and rushed, and not have some of the more fun episodes many of us love so much, because all the time would be spent trying to build the main story. Losing the hope of potential returns because the characters don't even exist anymore would be very depressing to me. I'm not ready to say I believe any of that is going to happen, just that I have more doubt now than I had before.

If done right, all 8 regions being involved could actually be an exciting proposition, if they were only minor elements and Galar was the overwhelming main element, but I don't believe they would promote in this way if that were the case. I think we just need to wait and find out at this point, and it will probably be smart to avoid this thread to maintain sanity over the next 4 weeks...

I'm curious to see how the anime turns out, if they dedicate a whole episode to a region and not feature more than 1 region an episode, we could have a nice range of characters and Pokemon and learn hear more actors involved

No so much Team Rocket or Ash

What annoying bait, I think they really want their fans to be up in arms because I guess bad attention is better than no attention at all?

I really can't understand what using an AU Ash would do for them. They make adjustments to Ash as it is, but if they used an AU Ash then we have next to no history/know nothing about him. In order to character build across 8 regions the anime would be very shallow and rushed, and not have some of the more fun episodes many of us love so much, because all the time would be spent trying to build the main story. Losing the hope of potential returns because the characters don't even exist anymore would be very depressing to me. I'm not ready to say I believe any of that is going to happen, just that I have more doubt now than I had before.

If done right, all 8 regions being involved could actually be an exciting proposition, if they were only minor elements and Galar was the overwhelming main element, but I don't believe they would promote in this way if that were the case. I think we just need to wait and find out at this point, and it will probably be smart to avoid this thread to maintain sanity over the next 4 weeks...

Meh, I don't really see this as a problem. The original Ash character pretty much ended after DP. They have been running semi different variations of the character starting in BW, so AU Ash isn't a complete 180.

Meh, I don't really see this as a problem. The original Ash character pretty much ended after DP. They have been running semi different variations of the character starting in BW, so AU Ash isn't a complete 180.
Makes you wonder that the anime should've ended after DP. Then have a reboot of Ash travelling to BW, XY and SM.

This just makes me more sure than ever that Ash is going to win the Alola League. The writers clearly want to "reset" the anime, what with it having gone on for so long, and what better way to do that than to have Ash actually win a Pokemon League for once?

Another issue with shuffling through 8 regions would be the group dynamic. At least for me, the group dynamic of a 3+ year group is a huge deal, some of the dynamics that develop over a long period of time are an integral part of the show. If they showcase spurts of 8 journeys, or even showcase 8 journeys simultaneously, the group dynamics will be much less endearing. One of the benefits of having a show air weekly all year is that these dynamics, team dynamics, Pokemon personalities can all be developed and we can really invest in the group as fans. I would be concerned that such a series like this would first put less emphasis on Pokemon personalities and also have group dynamics that aren't as developed.

The hope at this point is that the series continues as normal, but that we visit the prior 7 regions to see old characters and what they are doing, but I know that is extraordinarily unlikely. I will try to have the restraint to not speculate any further because otherwise it will drive me crazy, I just really wanted to mention the group dynamic because it is a huge huge deal to me.

This just makes me more sure than ever that Ash is going to win the Alola League. The writers clearly want to "reset" the anime, what with it having gone on for so long, and what better way to do that than to have Ash actually win a Pokemon League for once?
That was their original intention back with the OS with Ash winning the Indigo Plateau. It was scrapped because if that would be the case, then there goes their main Mascot and Pikachu.

Group dynamics would only be affected if there is a rotating cast. For all we know, the group set up could be the same as it has always been. The only difference would be the scale. Instead of going city to city, we jump region to region.

Honestly, I am keeping an open mind here. This could be fun if it is done right.

What this will actually end up being is the most advertisement-heavy Pokemon anime series to date. It'll have even more advertisement in it than SM does.

Taking place in "all regions" means they can finally drop all semblance of plot and focus exclusively on advertising whatever products they want to sell.

I think that we could possibly see old characters. Brock, Misty, and Iris were very prominent in Master's hype cycle so I could see them returning.

Masters has nothing to do with this new anime.

What this will actually end up being is the most advertisement-heavy Pokemon anime series to date. It'll have even more advertisement in it than SM does.

Taking place in "all regions" means they can finally drop all semblance of plot and focus exclusively on advertising whatever products they want to sell.

Masters has nothing to do with this new anime.
I think that it will, considering how popular and successful it is, especially in Japan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom