• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Sword and Shield anime speculation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do like the idea of using some episodes to showcase what former traveling companions are doing in other regions every few episodes. I really don't think that they could handle a multiple casts covering different regions, but if the main focus was still on Ash's journey in Galar and episodes set in other regions were more like side stories akin to Chronicles, that might work. I don't know if they'll actually focus on all of the previous traveling companions, but that would be a neat way to showcase the different regions, as well as potentially giving everyone a chance to shine without forcing them to show up in Galar.

I'm also reminded of the reactions when the first SM poster showed up and a lot of people were worried that the series would become completely focused on Ash's attempts to graduate. While SM does have a slice of life vibe to it, the school has ultimately been just a background and an excuse of Ash to stay in one place for most of SM. The point is that we might think that focusing on different regions could be some huge change like a reboot, but it might be just a gimmick or at least nothing as major as I think a lot of fans think it is.

Since we have 8 regions: Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, Unova, Kalos, Alola and Galar, and the gym count in the games are also 8, maybe that means that the sport stadium gyms of the Galar region are featured in this upcoming anime across the whole world, meaning Ash has to visit all regions to battle one gym leader in each stadium.

Last edited:
Surprising news. It's hard to know what to expect for now.

Best case scenario for me would be: Ash gets sponsored at the end of SM after beating the league and travels to Galar where he learns about the World Championships. The whole show will be based in Galar, but with a heavy emphasis on travel. Basically he will fly to each region for 5-7 episodes and have a mini-arc where he competes in that region's championship tournament and then returns to Galar to prepare for his next match. Maybe he will collect Galar badges on the side. He won't have any set travelling companions, but will meet up with his old friends in each region. In every region he will cycle through ALL his Pokemon depending on his opponent (much like the Sinnoh League).

But like others have said, WAY too good to be true. More likely it will be a long-form Pokemon Generations, but with heavy montage treatment like Origins and with AU Ash being the protagonist. It's a shame because with Generations and Origins we basically got all of this, and after the slice-of-life heavy SM a battle heavy series like the imaginary one I mentioned would be awesome. TPC has always said (incorrectly of course) that Ash's story would be over when he won a Pokemon League, so it makes sense that they would go full reboot. If they were going to end his journey, they might as well have just ended on XY&Z and pleased all their fans. sigh...

Last edited:
I think @Lover's profile picture sums up my reaction to seeing today's announcement being an announcement of an announcement. And Beatsy Ray you beat me to my idea!

Anyways it's hard for me to talk about what I think will happen based on what I think makes sense because that clearly doesn't apply here. I do think people are jumping the gun with the idea of this being an AU or a reboot because, while that does seem possible, I don't think it's set in stone or even the most likely outcome. One theory I have is similar to the approach I thought SM was going to take back in 2017. When the Kasumi/Takeshi episodes were being advertised they mentioned the possibilities of taking trips to other previous regions so I had thought we would see other previous companions in other regions.

With SwSh (though I guess we can't call it that now?) I'm thinking Satoshi will still go to Galar and compete in that league but will travel to other regions for some reason. Whether that is a Championship League-type thing or something else I'm not sure. I would love for him to have a new set of permanent companions with stories/goals of their own while still revisiting old companions here and there. Maybe the Kasumi/Takeshi episodes in Sun&Moon were testing the waters for what's to come?

I've spoken at great lengths about why I don't think Satoshi would be replaced as a main character, but I will say that having a full series with him revisiting old companions, tying in with his previous experiences would probably be an ideal way for his character to conclude it would also give the writers more time to begin even ATTEMPTING to conclude the Rocket trio in a halfway-satisfying way! I'm not saying I think this is the end of Satoshi or anything, but it is interesting.

By the way, how are we going to abbreviate this series? PM001? Will we refer to it as the Pocket Monsters 2019 series? I can see the dub still calling it Pokemon the Series: Sword and Sheild despite the lack of a subtitle in Japan unless it really is a whole freakin' reboot or something and at this point despite everything I've ever said I genuinely do not know what to expect so blease don't hold me accountable when all of my predictions are dead wrong

I don't want to jump the gun with so little information. I was one of the people who thought SM was possibly a reboot based off the early information which turned out false.

It sounds like it might be another attempt at changing the general formula like SM was, but it awaits to be seen exactly how.

I'll be down for the Field Trip to other Regions with the main focus centred around Galar, but since the title is in the style of the AU series, I am uncertain until 29th September.

Perhaps they could do a special Sinnoh Arc to promote the Diamond and Pearl Remake.

Last edited:
All we know is next series will feature all the regions so far and everyone takes it for granted that Ash will be replaced with likely his AU self but it seems too bold to me to be so sure.
Nah I think most of the reasoning is that this is a new era for Japan.

Omg I didn't even realize how well my avatar fits today's disappointing announcement of an announcement; Ariel is literally me futilely reaching out in the hopes of getting an animated preview for the ShSw saga, only to sink back down into despair after being told that we'll have to wait a month for the next batch of info. Life imitates art. :X3:

Omg I didn't even realize how well my avatar fits today's disappointing announcement of an announcement; Ariel is literally me futilely reaching out in the hopes of getting an animated preview for the ShSw saga, only to sink back down into despair after being told that we'll have to wait a month for the next batch of info. Life imitates art. :X3:
Actually it more reminds me of this...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6xszuoSm7M

Although a parody of Disney, you can easily picture it also as being TPC.

All we know is next series will feature all the regions so far and everyone takes it for granted that Ash will be replaced with likely his AU self but it seems too bold to me to be so sure.

They may not do that, but I really don't see how it would be bold. They have sort of already done this in the main series starting in BW and Movies 20 and 21 deal with an AU Ash. Plus, Pokemon wouldn't be the first to do this. Look how many variations of Batman, Sonic, Lupin III etc there are.

And yet, this is supposed to be about Sword and Shield that some I've seen on youtube are not seeing when it comes to this news. How is this anime going to cater to Sword and Shield if the region is going to be at the far back of the series?

They could do a normal Galar journey series with episodes focusing on characters from other regions sprinkled in, or they could do another slice of life school series, but with more field trips to other regions.

What I'm hoping this is: A continuation of the anime that's more aware of its past, and is able to revisit past locations and characters from the anime making it a part of its plot. If they eventually have to reboot the anime or change main characters and whatnot, this is how I'd like the original anime franchise to be sent off.
What we'll get: idk, it could be literally anything.

I do hope the reboot is no different to what we had with SM, where Ash competes in the Galar League and also taking trips to visit the past regions.

They could have something about the history between Kalos and Galar, and as a thought, might even have J return in the Sinnoh arc, and later on be hunting in the Galar Region.

I know it's a stretch, but they're just so many possibilities they cannot pass off.

There's been so many great ideas thrown around in this thread that I would 100% be happy with and enjoy watching...which naturally means the actual anime will go in the exact opposite direction :rolleyes:

I do find it interesting that the blurb posted on the last page states that this is going to be a series that "can be enjoyed by all generations." Something I have never understood is why the show doesn't make more of an effort to feature former characters. For example, Brock and Misty are my favorite companions, and a big reason why is because that is the group I grew up with. They were my first experience with the anime. But what about the kids who grew up with AG, DP, BW, etc? They very likely have the same connection with May, Max, Dawn, etc. I totally understand wanting to promote the newest games, but if they intertwined it with former characters who people are familiar with, they'd probably be able to draw more people in.

So, you go to Galar, you get some new companions who kids of today will grow up with and be most familiar with, but you can also throw in episodes where they (or even just Ash) travel to the other regions and get to meet up with the older characters. Not only will that introduce those characters to younger viewers, but it will also bring in older viewers as well. I remember when the Brock and Misty episodes of SM were first happening; I saw so many tweets from people who admitted they hadn't watched the anime in years get excited about it and even intending to watch those particular episodes. I don't have any problem with nostalgia (in fact, I'll admit to being pretty into it) but I don't think that should get in the way of advancing the series either.

I did have a similar thought to @kantoskies that perhaps those Brock and Misty episodes really were a test drive for the new series and how they might incorporate former companions into a series totally unfamiliar to them. That type of thing would definitely interest me, and I think it'd be great for the series as a whole.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom