• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Sword and Shield anime speculation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
For travelling to Kalos, if it's main focus will be on Galar, they could have their own version of the Channel Tunnel.

There's been so many great ideas thrown around in this thread that I would 100% be happy with and enjoy watching...which naturally means the actual anime will go in the exact opposite direction :rolleyes:

I do find it interesting that the blurb posted on the last page states that this is going to be a series that "can be enjoyed by all generations." Something I have never understood is why the show doesn't make more of an effort to feature former characters. For example, Brock and Misty are my favorite companions, and a big reason why is because that is the group I grew up with. They were my first experience with the anime. But what about the kids who grew up with AG, DP, BW, etc? They very likely have the same connection with May, Max, Dawn, etc. I totally understand wanting to promote the newest games, but if they intertwined it with former characters who people are familiar with, they'd probably be able to draw more people in.

So, you go to Galar, you get some new companions who kids of today will grow up with and be most familiar with, but you can also throw in episodes where they (or even just Ash) travel to the other regions and get to meet up with the older characters. Not only will that introduce those characters to younger viewers, but it will also bring in older viewers as well. I remember when the Brock and Misty episodes of SM were first happening; I saw so many tweets from people who admitted they hadn't watched the anime in years get excited about it and even intending to watch those particular episodes. I don't have any problem with nostalgia (in fact, I'll admit to being pretty into it) but I don't think that should get in the way of advancing the series either.

I did have a similar thought to @kantoskies that perhaps those Brock and Misty episodes really were a test drive for the new series and how they might incorporate former companions into a series totally unfamiliar to them. That type of thing would definitely interest me, and I think it'd be great for the series as a whole.

Testing waters is right, just like they did with the Alola Forms. So we could expect another formula similar to SM, only without too much of the slice of life thing.

Last edited:
when you think about it they can't really get rid of ash since his Japanese name is the same as pokemons creator

What does the name have to do with anything? The real Satoshi doesn't have any connection to the anime other than sharing his name with the protagonist and given how uninvolved he is when it comes to the development of even the games these days, he most likely wouldn't give a crap if Ash got written off. He's too busy CEO'ing and collecting his millions.

Famitsu article on the new series (translation credit goes to Dephender)

Thus far, the series has changed its title every time a new video game has been released, but the new series title is going to be the same one it had when it debuted in 1997, "Pocket Monsters".

As this title indicates, while the story will of course be set in the Galar region, the setting of the new "Pocket Monsters" video games "Pocket Monsters Sword/Shield", it will also take place in all the other regions that have appeared in video games so far, including the Kanto region from "Pocket Monsters Red/Green" and the Jouto region from "Pocket Monsters Gold/Silver", and will feature the various Pokémon that live in these regions.

A teaser showing the Pokémon that represents these regions was revealed today as well. It can be seen on the official "Pocket Monsters Sun & Moon" TV Tokyo AniTV website, the official Pokémon Youtube channel, and more!

The "Pocket Monsters" anime made in the Reiwa era is going to be one that can be enjoyed by all generations.

Further details will be revealed during the "Pocket Monsters Sun & Moon" episode that airs on the TV Tokyo Network Sunday September 29th at 6pm! Stay tuned!!
So... After rereading this properly.

It seems like this new series will probably be of Ash and Pikachu travelling to the Galar Region, competing in the Galar League. But whilst there will also take a plane to visit Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, Unova and Alola, and a train to Kalos, meeting old friends there and catching up on many things from the old series past such as OS, AG, DP, BW, XY and SM.

I could see this working as a continuation reboot after SM. You can have for example Serena, Clemont, Bonnie and Ash's Greninja appearing again in Kalos, Ash seeing Dawn and James seeing his Cacnea again in Sinnoh. May and Max in Hoenn, Iris and Cilan in Unova, and all of Ash's classmates from Alola and much much more.

It would make sense to have a PWT in SwSh the game as well to make it all the more meaningful. So, not all can be doom and gloom once you understand this properly. The story will be set in Galar, but will also take place in other Regions as well, just like whilst Sun and Moon's story is set in Alola, it also takes place in Kanto. It also makes sense when you look at the Galarian Forms and Alolan Forms. There's so much to think of for this new series.

It seems like this new series will probably be of Ash and Pikachu travelling to the Galar Region, competing in the Galar League. But whilst there will also take a plane to visit Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, Unova and Alola, and a train to Kalos, meeting old friends there and catching up on many things from the old series past such as OS, AG, DP, BW, XY and SM.

I could see this working as a continuation reboot after SM. You can have for example Serena, Clemont, Bonnie and Ash's Greninja appearing again in Kalos, Ash seeing Dawn and James seeing his Cacnea again in Sinnoh. May and Max in Hoenn, Iris and Cilan in Unova, and all of Ash's classmates from Alola and much much more.

It would make sense to have a PWT in SwSh the game as well to make it all the more meaningful. So, not all can be doom and gloom once you understand this properly. The story will be set in Galar, but will also take place in other Regions as well, just like whilst Sun and Moon's story is set in Alola, it also takes place in Kanto. It also makes sense when you look at the Galarian Forms and Alolan Forms. There's so much to think of for this new series.
May's probably not coming back because of VA issues. If Max returns then he will have to go solo.

Voice actor (or actress). May's Japanese VA had health issues, but she's recovered, although she doesn't do voice work or perfomances anymore. If May ever returns to the series then they will have to give her a Japanese VA.
Can't they give her a replacement? They seemed to have given Gardenia a replacement in Masters, and her original japanese voice actress died of colon cancer 6 years ago.

It's possible they could do that, although hardly anyone in Masters is voiced by their anime VAs.
If they can replace the voice actor for Professor Oak, then surely they can do so for other characters as well. However finding the right voice can be tricky and hard to get used to. I still couldn't get used to hearing Nancy Cartwright voicing Chuckie in the Rugrats without hearing Bart Simpson.

What does the name have to do with anything? The real Satoshi doesn't have any connection to the anime other than sharing his name with the protagonist and given how uninvolved he is when it comes to the development of even the games these days, he most likely wouldn't give a crap if Ash got written off. He's too busy CEO'ing and collecting his millions.
he probably does care and there's no reason to write it off and be a dick about it

Meh, I don't know.

I think the alternate timeline makes the most sense given the limited evidence. The premise they gave us really lines up with the Master league from Pokemon Masters. Heck, in the game you even travel with Brock and Misty as your coaches lol.

PZlp2nk.jpg

View: https://twitter.com/anipoke_PR/status/1168357906049142784

Google's translation seems pretty accurate:

The anime series started in 1997 is the 23rd year this year, and has been broadcast more than 1000 times! The title of the work has changed several times so far, but the title of the new series will be reborn as a new title since the start of "Pocket Monster"!

The anime as we know it is over.

but the title of the new series will be reborn as a new title

Underlined point doesn't exactly emphasize anything other than the title's graphical aspect.

Also, BW had a different looking title... they even tried to make it a reboot but it didn't exactly work out and hence they had to connect it to the rest of the series (Dawn, Cynthia, Clair cameos .etc.).

PZlp2nk.jpg

The anime series started in 1997 is the 23rd year this year, and has been broadcast more than 1000 times! The title of the work has changed several times so far, but the title of the new series will be reborn as a new title since the start of "Pocket Monster"!

I was prepared for trouble, but not for this :cry:

PZlp2nk.jpg

I'm feeling the same way, tbh. Using the phrase "reborn as a new title" to me makes it sound more and more like this will truly be a new beginning.

And if this is the case, those tweets from that staff member implying major changes kind of make more sense.

If this truly is a complete overhaul of the franchise as we know it, I really hope we finally get a full, official release of the BW, XY, and SM soundtracks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom