• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Sword and Shield anime speculation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
But it's also possible that the writers think that "1997 Ash" has overstayed his welcome and that kids will like him better if their see his beginning and his progression through multiple regions. And sadly the logo seems to hint more towards the latter...
I just don't get how this would be endearing. If they try to rush 8 regions into 3 years they are going to be missing huge parts of character development of both Pokemon, AU Ash, and any companions, which will make the characters far, far less endearing to the audience. Not to mention the less time for what people like to bash, "fillers", which have amazing amounts of character development and show the characters having fun. Origins was okay, but the characters had very little personality and we didn't know the Pokemon at all, we didn't see any struggles, progression, fun being had, etc. Obviously that was only 4 episodes, so there would be more time than that, but I just don't think this route would be one that would create lifelong fans, it would just be a more of a flash in the pan level of entertainment.

Its kind of funny that two of the more commonly considered outcomes based on the vague message are one that many of us long term anime fans would love (series with revisits old companions) or one that many of us would really not like at all (AU reboot).

I just don't get how this would be endearing. If they try to rush 8 regions into 3 years they are going to be missing huge parts of character development of both Pokemon, AU Ash, and any companions, which will make the characters far, far less endearing to the audience.
Are you assuming that Ash would have a team and set of companions per region? 1-2 Pokemon per region and 3-5 companions overall wouldn't present screentime issues, at least no more than in certain series (Kanto and BW for Pokemon; SM for companions). It's also possible that the generation will last 4 years this time around.

It is way too early to say it would be rushed. For all we know, they aren't going to travel through each region fully. They could just travel to a spot here or there in each of the eight regions. Also, I don't see how this would impact character development and interactions. There will likely be more then enough "filler" episodes since this show has to last three years.

Are you assuming that Ash would have a team and set of companions per region? 1-2 Pokemon per region and 3-5 companions overall wouldn't present screentime issues, at least no more than in certain series (Kanto and BW for Pokemon; SM for companions). It's also possible that the generation will last 4 years this time around.
Well if you have the same companions for all 8 regions, they are going to be more tote bags than ever before. If you thought Brock wasn't necessary in Sinnoh, lets have 2 people that just follow this guy around through 8 regions well he gets badges, what are they going to be doing? Where would there be any secondary focus on companions and their goals? Are you thinking he would just get a couple badges per region? Doesn't really make much sense. A series where Ash is the only one with a goal doesn't appeal to me at all (tbh we have been somewhat close to that before), but I'm sure some people wouldn't mind it.

I was more thinking they would either show bits from prior regions but focus most on Galar journey, or rush through them all, but still have them be full journeys, or have multiple protags and flash to each one, but I don't like any of those scenarios, and all of them will give us less characterization than we get presently. I do mean to stop speculating on this crap, since we have so little info to go on, its just hard to leave it alone for some reason.

And I seriously doubt the 4 year cycle will return, there is way to much money to be made rushing the games.

I've heard people say there are gonna be one or two new protagonists for each region and the series constantly switching between regions/characters. That would be such a huge mess, that I find it to be unlikely and unimaginable even for the most unexperienced writer. But looking back, I think they don't mind it ending up being a shitty series.

They should make it that way that Galar is taking the most episodes and about 30-40 episodes dedicated to the other regions. I think that should be enough for all past companions to get a proper closure/showoff. For the rest, I want either Victor or Gloria doing the gyms in Galar and ending up meeting Ash during their journey.

I don't think that switching protagonists around would work either, which is partially why I think that the AU Ash scenario would be better because we'd have someone permanent as the main character instead of having a new protagonist in every region that will be showcased in this series. I still really hate the idea of a reboot though. Like, in the past I used to think that Ash had overstayed his welcome, but the idea of him actually getting replaced or rebooted soon feels wrong to me.

I don't think that switching protagonists around would work either, which is partially why I think that the AU Ash scenario would be better because we'd have someone permanent as the main character instead of having a new protagonist in every region that will be showcased in this series. I still really hate the idea of a reboot though. Like, in the past I used to think that Ash had overstayed his welcome, but the idea of him actually getting replaced or rebooted soon feels wrong to me.
Especially considering that SM would be a bad time to end Ash's story.

I don't believe they'd just end Ash regardless, but only having him for Galar wouldn't make a lot of sense either since it clearly would take up all the attention. The best option is a retelling of the past regions and they are ALL Ash.

If this is the end of Ash, I must ask, why now? Galar will still be the new hotness, so it will still get all the attention.

I don't believe they'd just end Ash regardless, but only having him for Galar wouldn't make a lot of sense either since it clearly would take up all the attention. The best option is a retelling of the past regions and they are ALL Ash.

If this is the end of Ash, I must ask, why now? Galar will still be the new hotness, so it will still get all the attention.
I don't think that would work unless they have an AU version of Ash travel all the regions sequentially.

I don't think that would work unless they have an AU version of Ash travel all the regions sequentially.
This is what I mean by "retelling". Yes, it would have to be like the movies and an alternate version of Ash. I don't feel it needs to be sequential, although if it is, why would they make us wait the entire generation to get to the current generation? By then, they're promoting the next generation already, so it would be pointless. I think we're only seeing small snippets of each region at a time. One day, we're in one region, and the next, we're in another.

I’m just concerned for how SwSh has been handled lately, they might as well not make it and just have the 7 if that’s how The company treats their franchise.

We don't even know how it's "been handled lately". The anime hasn't come out yet (same goes for the games) and we know the bare minimum in terms of their approach to it.

I'd be more understanding if we actually had some concrete info regarding the plot/synopsis, characters, art style and approach to the series as a whole, but at this point... this just all feels like an overreaction blow way out of proportion.

Well if you have the same companions for all 8 regions, they are going to be more tote bags than ever before.
That's a function of time rather than the number of regions. If Kanto-Sinnoh had been squeezed into 3 years, I doubt Brock would have felt as stagnant as he did by the end of DP (after 13 years).

Where would there be any secondary focus on companions and their goals?
A Coordinator-like quest is more possible with the older regions, actually.

Are you thinking he would just get a couple badges per region? Doesn't really make much sense.
He certainly isn't going to get 64 badges. Either he'll only get one badge per old region (because the Galar League is more like the PWT than a regional league), or he's just going to those places as sidequests to meet more Pokemon.

A series where Ash is the only one with a goal doesn't appeal to me at all (tbh we have been somewhat close to that before), but I'm sure some people wouldn't mind it.
That's pretty much the case right now in terms of a clear direction. If you're fine with SM, I don't how see how similar development couldn't be executed with a lot more traveling involved. Personally, I don't want another Coordinator or an imitation.

but still have them be full journeys, or have multiple protags and flash to each one, but I don't like any of those scenarios,
It can't be full journeys, even if they're rushed to cover all the highlights. I think it would be quite acceptable to dedicate 5-10 episodes per old region (or longer depending on the generation), have Ash and/or a companion catch a Pokemon, battle someone notable (not necessarily for a badge), and maybe meet a legendary.

And I seriously doubt the 4 year cycle will return, there is way to much money to be made rushing the games.
True, but there might be development constraints.

He ( AU Ash ) could collect all Badges and participate in all Leagues if the Battles are paced like they were in the Origins and Generations.
Which really spoils the charm to what the Pokemon anime was in terms of uniqueness. It seems like they don't care anymore. All they care about is money. Too much for money and less on effort, like do they deserve it?

I know people are going to watch it regardless, so it doesn't matter what I think about it. I just don't understand what they want to do. All options point to unstable viewership, that is not a good idea. I don't hate it, I disagree with it's logic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom