• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Sword and Shield anime speculation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I more meant that I don't think the creators put a lot of care into the playable characters anymore because they know that players are just going to customize them anyway. As for Serena, the character customization was pretty minor in X&Y compared to this, and her initial design was at least strong enough to include her as a character in the story if you weren't playing as her. I guess it's just a hunch, but I really doubt that the PC you don't choose will show up in this story at all considering how many unique characters they've already shown off.
We’ve already discussed this a while back, having a female player being Ash’s companion has nothing to do with what role she plays in the game, whether rival or assistant. They might not have Gloria customised in the anime. Maybe small changes like Serena but not completely overboard. The animators won’t do that.

Last edited:
Just look at the scenario we have with Alola. It made sense to have a Pokemon School in Sun and Moon due to there not having an official Pokemon League. Why there are no Gyms, nor Pokemon League until near the end. You just see Alola planning, constructing and starting the Regions first Pokemon League.

Galar meanwhile is an already established League that seems to theme on the Football/Soccor Leagues, Just like the first 6, you collect the 8 badges before taking on the League and the Champion. The Elite Four are yet to be revealed, just as past E4s were not revealed until the games release.

With the Champions Cup, what if that is for an international League, like the League of Champions, where all Pokemon Champions around the world come to compete. Wouldn't it make sense for Ash to take part in that after becoming Alola's first Champion?

But until 29th, it is obvious that it won't be School this time because one of the animators that worked on SM tweeted that the new series will not be like the SM anime.
I also don't see them doing that unless it is literally the end of the entire franchise.

I also don't see them doing that unless it is literally the end of the entire franchise.
You don’t know that, we’re only speculating at this point,
speaking of M20, I saw these lights in the streets in Ash’s dream when chasing Pikachu. I honestly thought they were concepts for art and construction projects, such as this one in my hometown but... well, you learn something new every day.

Last edited:
Not really, SM only showed that he failed to do any of that.

Then how does that count as a reboot at all?

A reboot is a complete disregard for prior continuity and a recreation of a characters backstory, relationships etc. It doesn't have to be a retelling of what they did in a different continuity (it can be, but it is not a requirement).

Last edited:
A reboot is when the writers start fresh with the continuity and ignore everything that came before. It doesn't have to be a retelling of the previously existing story, but it can.
Reboot as in a new series like before, then yes. Rewriting from scratch, then no.

A reboot is a complete disregard for prior continuity and a recreation of a characters backstory, relationships etc. It doesn't have to be a retelling of what they did in a different continuity (it can be, but it is not a requirement).
If you're talking about an AU Ash travelling with AU versions of his previous companions to win a league, this is basically what a retelling is.

If you're talking about an AU Ash travelling with AU versions of his previous companions to win a league, this is basically what a retelling is.

All I am saying is that in a reboot, they don't have to retell stories from a prior continuity with a different spin. AU Ash doesn't have to meet AU versions of Brock, Misty, Dawn etc. He doesn't have to compete in a Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh league etc. He doesn't even have to catch the same Pokemon. The story can be very different. I mean just look at the rebooted Batman films from the 2000s and compare them to the films from the 90s, the story is much different.

All I am saying is that in a reboot, they don't have to retell stories from a prior continuity with a different spin. AU Ash doesn't have to meet AU versions of Brock, Misty, Dawn etc. He doesn't have to compete in a Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh league etc. He doesn't even have to catch the same Pokemon. The story can be very different. I mean just look at the rebooted Batman films from the 2000s and compare them to the films from the 90s, the story is much different.
It can be just AU Ash starting his new adventures in Galar, but along the way will also travel to past regions to see his past companions, and seeing them will be like he had already met them before, as in a tribute to coincide with past series. I mean the past companions were shown as cameos in the credit scene at the end of M20, so I can see it easily work like that.

I'd still count that as a retelling, but I understand what you mean.

1567779836528.jpg

Pokemon Calendar 2020 has been revealed
Ash's Pikachu
Serena's Sylveon
Mallow's Shaymin
Lillie's Snowy

Possibility with this picture... Gloria's Grookey, Ash's Scorbunny and Sobble.

So it will be Ash travelling with new companions in Galar, but also him travelling to old regions revisiting the old companions.

Serena, Mao and Lilie are confirmed as companions for SwSh anime.
It'll be all the old companions within each past region.

Urgh I really hope that isn't the case.

Afraid so, it's a tribute to the anime's existence. SM was the testing of waters with Kanto, now with this new series, it is all the way.

It'll be all the old companions within each past region.

Afraid so, it's a tribute to the anime's existence. SM was the testing of waters with Kanto, now with this new series, it is all the way.

I mean... I don't mind Lillie and/or Mallow coming but... Serena returning? That seems like a bit much in my opinion and seems to shove Galar to the side. I'd like the region to stand on it's own with it's own characters, you know? But maybe Lillie, Mallow and Serena will get better development?

I mean... I don't mind Lillie and/or Mallow coming but... Serena returning? That seems like a bit much in my opinion and seems to shove Galar to the side. I'd like the region to stand on it's own with it's own characters, you know? But maybe Lillie, Mallow and Serena will get better development?
Galar will have it's own companions and will be the main story focus. But it will also have Ash travelling to the other old regions. It'll be no different to the SM episodes where Ash went to Kanto to see Brock and Misty. Sinnoh with Dawn will likely be shown in late 2020.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom