• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Sword and Shield anime speculation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's good, in that case I wouldn't mind if it was like that? I just worry about the writing.

It seems like a bit of a conclusion to jump to. At least Alola Vulpix and Sylveon could easily be shown due to their own popularity.
Still, it is fun to speculate until we have proper news and sources.

Everything just seems to fit nicely when you think about all this region thing though.

Lillie, Mallow, and Serena aren't going to be companions. I just don't see any way the show promotes "old" characters that heavily over ones who represent the new games.

I'll be perfectly happy if it means they're going to make appearances along with other former characters (that's what I've been hoping for the whole time, after all) but that calendar could very well just be a random assortment of Pokemon chosen based on their popularity who former characters happen to own.

Lillie, Mallow, and Serena aren't going to be companions. I just don't see any way the show promotes "old" characters that heavily over ones who represent the new games.

I'll be perfectly happy if it means they're going to make appearances along with other former characters (that's what I've been hoping for the whole time, after all) but that calendar could very well just be a random assortment of Pokemon chosen based on their popularity who former characters happen to own.
You're right.

Lillie and Mallow (along with Sophocles, Kiawe and Lana) will only be seen when Ash goes to Alola.
Serena (along with Clemont and Bonnie) will only be seen when Ash goes to Kalos.
Iris and Cilan will only be seen when Ash goes to Unova.
Dawn will only be seen when Ash goes to Sinnoh.
May and Max will only be seen when Ash goes to Hoenn.
Misty and Brock will only be seen when Ash travels to Kanto and Johto.

For Galar, Ash will most likely have new companions journeying with him for that Region. Although they might travel with Ash to the past regions. It's all tribute to respect the old as well as present the new.

You're right.

Lillie and Mallow (along with Sophocles, Kiawe and Lana) will only be seen when Ash goes to Alola.
Serena (along with Clemont and Bonnie) will only be seen when Ash goes to Kalos.
Iris and Cilan will only be seen when Ash goes to Unova.
Dawn will only be seen when Ash goes to Sinnoh.
May and Max will only be seen when Ash goes to Hoenn.
Misty and Brock will only be seen when Ash travels to Kanto and Johto.

For Galar, Ash will most likely have new companions journeying with him for that Region. Although they might travel with Ash to the past regions. It's all tribute to respect the old as well as present the new.

I am very skeptical of this. That is a lot of characters to handle.

Kalos and Alola casts when Ash visits those regions.

I get what people were trying to imply, I just find it kinda silly to use a calendar as evidence of that considering that several of the previous calendars have showcased Pokemon that were never caught by the main cast members, so they're not exactly reliable when it comes to foreshadowing which Pokemon we might expect to see in the cast.

I get what people were trying to imply, I just find it kinda silly to use a calendar as evidence of that considering that several of the previous calendars have showcased Pokemon that were never caught by the main cast members, so they're not exactly reliable when it comes to foreshadowing which Pokemon we might expect to see in the cast.
but even though sylveon , shaman, Alolan vulpix are there one thing is for sure since ash's pikachu is on the calendar like before it means ash is going to galar after this

At least it's better than starting all over and reworking your way from Kanto to Galar again, which by then would be too late for Galar.

I don't know why people assume that they would recreate the badge quest from this continuity with the prior regions in a reboot.

I don't know why people assume that they would recreate the badge quest from this continuity with the prior regions in a reboot.
I guess some fans just want a Pokemon series completely like Origins and Chronicles with no Ash whatsoever. Problem here is that Ash has become too much of an anime icon that replacing him would be a very risky move. It's better safe with Ash for the time being.

but even though sylveon , shaman, Alolan vulpix are there one thing is for sure since ash's pikachu is on the calendar like before it means ash is going to galar after this

We can also tell of which starter would belong to whom.

Foreground: Pikachu, Scorbunny and Sobble (Ash's most likely)

Background: Alolan Volpix (Lillie's Snowy), Sylveon (Serena's), Shaymin (Mallow's) and Grookey (most likely Gloria's)

I guess some fans just want a Pokemon series completely like Origins and Chronicles with no Ash whatsoever. Problem here is that Ash has become too much of an anime icon that replacing him would be a very risky move. It's better safe with Ash for the time being.

We can also tell of which starter would belong to whom.

Foreground: Pikachu, Scorbunny and Sobble (Ash's most likely)

Background: Alolan Volpix (Lillie's Snowy), Sylveon (Serena's), Shaymin (Mallow's) and Grookey (most likely Gloria's)

Yeah, I understand what some fans may want. It just seems illogical to me. A bastardized version of the Pokemon Masters League makes the most sense IMO (both with normal Ash and AU Ash).

Yeah, I understand what some fans may want. It just seems illogical to me. A bastardized version of the Pokemon Masters League makes the most sense IMO (both with normal Ash and AU Ash).
The Masters League could be the reason to why Ash would travel to all the past Regions in order to compete in the tournaments of each, before finally competing in the finals in Galar. How the Galar League and the Champion's League would intertwine will have to wait and see. It's just a guess of what would likely be.

And how do you know for certain that it's Ash's Pikachu 100% without a doubt? You tried that same argument when you posted the screen-shot from the upcoming movie teaser trailer despite nothing confirming that that's Ash's Pikachu.

In most cases I wouldn't be doubting it myself, but given the possbility of Ash actually leaving the series for the first time ever, I think it's premature to label any Pikachu that we see on merchandise as Ash's Pikachu when it could easily be the next main character's Pikachu or worse, a rebooted version of Ash's old Pikachu.

And how do you know for certain that it's Ash's Pikachu 100% without a doubt? You tried that same argument when you posted the screen-shot from the upcoming movie teaser trailer despite nothing confirming that that's Ash's Pikachu.
You just tell it's Ash's Pikachu... It's just a feeling you get when it comes to some of these things.

https://forums.bulbagarden.net/proxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2Farchive-media-0.nyafuu.org%2Fvp%2Fimage%2F1567%2F77%2F1567779836528.jpg&hash=a218466d21d1f70a766bda78140c74bb

Also, look at the bottom left and you see it being the same Pokemon logo the new series will be featuring.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81SaF5MSABL._SY606_.jpg

It's similar to the 2019 calender where in the foreground we have Pikachu and Torracat with Ash and Rowlit, whilst in the background you see Lillie and Snowy and Sophocles and Togedamoru. But yet those are already established since 2016 compared with this new 2020 one.

Last edited:
For me it looks like Scorbunny is more on the foreground than Grookey and Sobble, which implies for me that it's Gloria's Pokemon (if she's the companion). Reminds me of some movie poster in the DP anime, where Piplup was more highlighted than the others.

For me it looks like Scorbunny is more on the foreground than Grookey and Sobble, which implies for me that it's Gloria's Pokemon (if she's the companion). Reminds me of some movie poster in the DP anime, where Piplup was more highlighted than the others.
Or it could be Ash's since Scorbunny fits his personality very well, since both of them are very energetic, along with Sobble who's shyness will most likely be part of an overcoming story arc. The only Pokemon I see being Gloria's is Grookey (who's more further back than Sobble in the 2020 calendar picture) since it's described of being filled with boundless curiosities. Just like her when starting her first journey through Galar (and beyond).
Plus you do notice the color of the Female Trainer's being similar to their starter Pokemon's types. May and Serena (Red), Dawn (Blue) and Gloria (Green).

Just as XY had similar starter arrangements as AG, This new series could go the similar arrangement as DP.
AG and XY
DP and New Anime
Treeko (Ash) / Chespin (Clemont)
Turtwig (Ash) / Grookey (Gloria)
Torchic (May) / Fennekin (Serena)
Chimchar (Ash) / Scorbunny (Ash)
Mudkip (Brock) / Froakie (Ash)
Piplup (Dawn) / Sobble (Ash)

There is also that leaked logo for the Osaka Pokemon Center that has Grookey on it alongside Pikachu and Meowth.

Last edited:
I don't think that this calendar is a guarantee that Serena, Lillie, and Mallow will return.
Were you reading the past posts at all?

also... 'I don't think?' I think by now that saying has gotten tiresome.

M20's original idea was to be a Sun and Moon movie with Ash reuniting with his old companions along with the new ones and going on an adventure, which was scrapped in favor to the one we now have. Also in Autumn 2017, there were talks that say that Ash will travel to past Regions, when all we had was Kanto. This scrapped idea was being saved for this new series. Yes, Serena, Mallow and Lillie are coming back, but NOT in Galar. They will be in their own regions of Kalos and Alola.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom