• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Sword and Shield anime speculation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice one! With the 2020 calender one, we may know who will go to Galar region! Let's say Ash's Pikachu is still there and we may say Ash is not going anywhere. In the past calender, those pokemon represent which human characters will appear in the anime and how story will develop.
I've already guessed Grookey will be Gloria's since if you look at the female players, there's a theme connected by their colors. May and Serena (Red), Dawn (Blue) Gloria (Green)

Except Gloria might not even be a companion, there's still that possibility.
If there is a Morpeko in the calender, then I could see Marnie being a companion. But since it isn't, then it's more than likely Gloria. There isn't any female character that fits the usual mold to Ash's companion degree if you catch my drift?

If there is a Morpeko in the calender, then I could see Marnie being a companion. But since it isn't, then it's more than likely Gloria. There isn't any female character that fits the usual mold to Ash's companion degree if you catch my drift?
There's still Bea, as well as an unrevealed character. I find Nessa highly unlikely anyways.

There's still Bea, as well as an unrevealed character. I find Nessa highly unlikely anyways.
Bea yes, whether or not they'll give her shoes will be seen. As for unrevealed character? tbh, we would've seen the new companions for Ash by now. We saw Iris, Cilan, Clemont, Lillie, Mallow, Sophocles, Kiawe and Lana been revealed before their anime's reveal of BW, XY and SM.

As for male Gym Leaders, for popular demands, I can only see a tie between Milo and Allister.

Last edited:
Bea yes, whether or not they'll give her shoes will be seen. As for unrevealed character? tbh, we would've seen the new companions for Ash by now. We saw Iris, Cilan, Clemont, Lillie, Mallow, Sophocles, Kiawe and Lana been revealed before their anime's reveal of BW, XY and SM.

As for male Gym Leaders, for popular demands, I can only see a tie between Milo and Allister.
Between the two of them, I think that Allister would be a companion.

Between the two of them, I think that Allister would be a companion.
And would probably get Sobble if that's true. For some odd reason, the anime and movies often and always prefer the second version (Green/Blue and others) over the first (Red and others).

Last edited:
Since we're revisiting every other region, I wonder if we'll see the return of recurring characters too. It'd be great to see Shigeru and Hiroshi in Kanto, Nanako and Sakura in Jouto, Masamune, Takao and, who knows, Hazuki in Hoenn, Naoshi, Urara, Kengo, Shinji and Jun in Shin'ou, Cabernet, Langley, Kenyan, Belle, Shooty and Kotetsu in Isshu and Shouta, Millefeui, Nene, Tierno, Sana, Trova and Alan in Kalos.

Also Kanto gym leaders should make a comeback too, since most of them were pretty much portrayed as COTDs. I'd like to see Erika and Natsume the most, especially the latter.

Since we're revisiting every other region, I wonder if we'll see the return of recurring characters too. It'd be great to see Shigeru and Hiroshi in Kanto, Nanako and Sakura in Jouto, Masamune, Takao and, who knows, Hazuki in Hoenn, Naoshi, Urara, Kengo, Shinji and Jun in Shin'ou, Cabernet, Langley, Kenyan, Belle, Shooty and Kotetsu in Isshu and Shouta, Millefeui, Nene, Tierno, Sana, Trova and Alan in Kalos.

Also Kanto gym leaders should make a comeback too, since most of them were pretty much portrayed as COTDs. I'd like to see Erika and Natsume the most, especially the latter.
Perhaps James will see Gardenia/Natane and check on how Cacnea is doing. Also, you've forgotten to add Zoey/Nozomi in the list

Oh yeah the released Pokemon too, completely forgot about them xD Maybe they'll let us see at least one of those.

Imagine if we get to see Butterfree, Pidgeon and Okorizaru again, after over 20 years? Really doubt it but one can dream xD

Oh yeah the released Pokemon too, completely forgot about them xD Maybe they'll let us see at least one of those.

Imagine if we get to see Butterfree, Pidgeon and Okorizaru again, after over 20 years? Really doubt it but one can dream xD
Greninja will probably return after accomplishing it's mission.

That's asking for a lot imo. I think people are taking the whole "other regions will be present" blurb (I'm paraphrasing) way too literally and acting like it means that Ash will be traveling through the past regions on a weekly basis despite the fact that the plot outline that we have also mentioned that Galar is going to be featured (and Galar promotion will probably be the biggest chunk of the saga anyway since the core games need the exposure). To me that implies that the next saga will be kinda like SuMo in the sense that it'll focus on the new region while having Ash visit different places during field trips every once in a while.

I think people are overestimating the writers; if they couldn't be bothered to show folks like Sabrina, Erika and the other Kanto gym leaders during the BF saga when they had Ash travel through Kanto for more than a year in real time, it seems even less likely to me that they'd have those characters return in the next saga given that the writing staff will have to juggle the main Galar plot and then the 7 other regions sporadically. They're bound to **** this up imo.

I think people are overestimating the writers; if they couldn't be bothered to show folks like Sabrina, Erika and the other Kanto gym leaders during the BF saga when they had Ash travel through Kanto for more than a year in real time, it seems even less likely to me that they'd have those characters return in the next saga given that the writing staff will have to juggle the main Galar plot and then the 7 other regions sporadically. They're bound to **** this up imo.

I've been having this exact thought since they made the announcement (of the announcement) and didn't know how to put it into words...this pretty much sums it up.

I was worried enough when they revealed the SM cast just because it was so big. The writers did better with it than I thought they would...but it still wasn't great. This whole "spanning different regions" concept kind of gives me a headache just thinking about it. It could be great...but the precedent doesn't exactly make me confident.

Also funny that people are mentioning bringing back old rivals and gym leaders and the like. I'd love it, but it would never happen. I just finished rewatching AG and thought "how awesome would it be if they brought back all of May's rivals?" But there hasn't been much proof of them even being able to handle former main characters well, so I honestly can't even imagine it happening with secondary characters.

The change of the series to the title "Pocket Monsters" signifies that the anime is finally diverging from the games. Saying that the series will take place in "every region" just means that the we won't be trapped in Galar for 3 years. We need to get out of the mindset that every region will just be shoehorned into this series over a 3 year air time simply for the sake of inclusion. The 3 year format is dead. Expect the series to open with a Galar arc to promote the games, but after that the story will be free to take place in any region the writers want. This will allow the anime to promote the whole franchise a lot more fluidly, like having an entire arc take place in Sinnoh to promote the upcoming Gen 4 remakes.

Actually I'm sort of expecting the series to begin in Alola. This close to SM's finale, there sure are a lot of loose ends, and that calendar suggests that Lillie's search for her father/trying to wake up that thing in her closet, as well as Mao's adventure with Shaymin will probably carry over into the new series. To those saying the calendar doesn't prove anything, TPC would have to be actually trolling us for those Pokemon to just be "SOME OTHER Alolan Vulpix/Shaymin/Sylveon". Two of those Pokemon belong to characters in the show right now. That would be like Using Piplup and Croagunk to promote Black & White. If they wanted to just put random Pokemon on the calendar, they would at least put Galarian Pokemon on the cover instead. Sorry, I don't buy that for a second.

A more off-the-wall theory would be that main series Ash and AU ash are trading places. That is, AU Ash will take over the main series and Sun & Moon Ash will continue into the films. This is backed up by the M20 logo used in the show teaser, and clearly an SM-art style Pikachu in the 2020 film teaser. I'm not sure I'd buy that, but an interesting thought at least.

Last edited:
Yeah, I realise I exaggerated a lot. However I was going more into what I desire than to what's bound to happen. I know that all those recurring characters + Gym Leaders + released Pokemon are not returning, or have a slightly chance of doing so (since Ibuki returned in BW, there might be a chance of some other Gym Leader to do the same)

The change of the series to the title "Pocket Monsters" signifies that the anime is finally diverging from the games. Saying that the series will take place in "every region" just means that the we won't be trapped in Galar for 3 years. We need to get out of the mindset that every region will just be shoehorned into this series over a 3 year air time simply for the sake of inclusion. The 3 year format is dead. Expect the series to open with a Galar arc to promote the games, but after that the story will be free to take place in any region the writers want. This will allow the anime to promote the whole franchise a lot more fluidly, like having an entire arc take place in Sinnoh to promote the upcoming Gen 4 remakes.

Actually I'm sort of expecting the series to begin in Alola. This close to SM's finale, there sure are a lot of loose ends, and that calendar suggests that Lillie's search for her father/trying to wake up that thing in her closet, as well as Mao's adventure with Shaymin will probably carry over into the new series. To those saying the calendar doesn't prove anything, TPC would have to be actually trolling us for those Pokemon to just be "SOME OTHER Alolan Vulpix/Shaymin/Sylveon". Two of those Pokemon belong to characters in the show right now. That would be like Using Piplup and Croagunk to promote Black & White. If they wanted to just put random Pokemon on the calendar, they would at least put Galarian Pokemon on the cover instead. Sorry, I don't buy that for a second.

A more off-the-wall theory would be that main series Ash and AU ash are trading places. That is, AU Ash will take over the main series and Sun & Moon Ash will continue into the films. This is backed up by the M20 logo used in the show teaser, and clearly an SM-art style Pikachu in the 2020 film teaser. I'm not sure I'd buy that, but an interesting thought at least.
Or the AU/remake thing was just to celibate the series 20th anniversary throughout Gen 7, hence the lack of anything Gen 8 in them. And now that they know how to restructure the movies properly would revert back to the old movie formula, but with these changes within them. The AU logo is just a revamping of the old logo, it doesn't mean it'll be of AU Ash. They'll find ways to juggle the old regions within the Galar anime. After all, they'll probably get 2 - 6 episodes each, which'll be a max of 36 to 42 episodes in all (36 for Kanto and Johto together), leaving over 100 to spare for Galar.

Last edited:
I find it unlikely that this series would be a massive nostalgia-fest.
I found it unlikely that the whole franchise would become a massive nostalgia-fest, but here we are. The mainline games are the only aspect of the series actually looking forward, and they're definitely not the biggest money makers at this point, so it makes sense that the anime would follow suit. I'm sure Galar is going to get plenty of love at the start, but because this isn't the Sword & Shield anime, I expect it to shift focus before long to advertise other aspects of the franchise.

Last edited:
What? It doesn't take much time to change the logo and the movies had been in production for a while. They made that logo different to emphasize that the movies were in a separate continuity from the main stream saga.

Using it while staying in the old continuity just doesn't make much sense IMO.
Yeah, I don't know why they don't use the same logo as the gen 8 games - it combines elements from the original Japanese logo and the English franchise logo, so you'd expect that to be the Japanese franchise logo going forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom