• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Sword and Shield anime speculation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found it unlikely that the whole franchise would become a massive nostalgia-fest, but here we. The mainline games are the only aspect of the series actually looking forward, and they're definitely not the biggest money makers at this point, so it makes sense that the anime would follow suit. I'm sure Galar is going to get plenty of love at the start, but because this isn't the Sword & Shield anime, I expect it to shift focus before long to advertise other aspects of the franchise.
Expect the Sinnoh Arc for next year to commemorate the Gen 4 Remakes

Except that might not even happen.
Pokeshopper has proof to this with a lot of Sinnoh Merchandising coming out next year, so there's high chance that there might. He's going to make a video discussing this at a later date.

Tbh I'm beginning to hope that this saga/series will be an actual reboot because at least then it would lessen all the 'old cast members will return' theories. But I'm struggling to decide whether a rebooted series should include an AU Ash or a brand new protagonist, because I feel like there'd be a downside to either option.

don't think that would happen. The nostalgia at the moment is too strong.

They did this for movie 20 and 21 and they both did pretty well at the box office. You don't need to shove every character Ash is friends with into a new series to play on nostalgia.

Last edited:
They did this for movie 20 and 21 and they both did pretty well at the box office. You don't need to shove every character Ash is friends with into a new series to play on nostalgia.
Not all characters shall be present, just mainly Ash's old companions and a few like Cynthia.

And again, they don't need them to play up nostalgia.
Unless it is a reboot (I don't think it is), there's no way Ash would return to previous regions without meeting up with old traveling companions. Gym Leaders and CODs are a bit of a stretch though.

Unless it is a reboot (I don't think it is), there's no way Ash would return to previous regions without meeting up with old traveling companions. Gym Leaders and CODs are a bit of a stretch though.
Only a few non companion characters will appear like Lusamine, Kukui, Steven, Diantha and such. Cynthia mostly because of Gen 4 Remake. (And some probably mentions, cameos or flashbacks). But mostly it will be his old companions.

He absolutely can. Some of them might not even appear at all, such as May.

They did plan of having M20 with ALL past companions together. So what's to stop them from using that similar concept for each region for the new anime series?

Last edited:
As for May, excluding her wouldn't be a creative decision. It would be done out of necessity, and if that did happen they would surely have to come up with an in-universe reason for why she isn't present. And they could get a new voice actress if they really wanted to. The fact that they brought back Brock and Misty while promoting Kanto means that they clearly understand the appeal of bringing back older characters along with their regions. Don't forget, this new series is advertising itself on being able to "appeal to fans who started watching the series on any generation."

As for May, excluding her wouldn't be a creative decision. It would be done out of necessity, and if that did happen they would surely have to come up with an in-universe reason for why she isn't present. And they could get a new voice actress if they really wanted to. The fact that they brought back Brock and Misty while promoting Kanto means that they clearly understand the appeal of bringing back older characters along with their regions. Don't forget, this new series is advertising itself on being able to "appeal to fans who started watching the series on any generation."

But I don't see why May would have to be the de facto Hoenn representation character. I mean there are tons of Hoenn characters that could appear if Ash goes to Hoenn for a few episodes, maybe even some that have never appeared in the main anime series like Wally, Lisia or Zinnia. And that whole 'they can just get a new voice actress for May' thing doesn't seem plausible to me; if it were that easy to replace KAORI permanently, they would've done that ages ago and had May return with a new voice as recently as XY so she could've been used for extra ORAS promo imo.

But I don't see why May would have to be the de facto Hoenn representation character. I mean there are tons of Hoenn characters that could appear if Ash goes to Hoenn for a few episodes, maybe even some that have never appeared in the main anime series like Wally, Lisia or Zinnia. And that whole 'they can just get a new voice actress for May' thing doesn't seem plausible to me; if it were that easy to replace KAORI permanently, they would've done that ages ago and had May return with a new voice as recently as XY so she could've been used for extra ORAS promo imo.
And, they also have Max who doesn't have any issues with his Japanese VA (he does have issues with his English VA, but those are easier to replace).

nothing said about it being a reboot.

Well duh, but that's because they barely said anything about this series/saga at all. All that we really got were a couple of sentences telling us that the new series/saga would take place in Galar and all the other regions from the past in turn. But they didn't outright deny that it could be a reboot series, so you can't say that it isn't until we have more facts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom