• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Sword and Shield anime speculation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
but will also see him travelling to past regions like in SM with Kanto, to see mainly his old companions and how they're doing. Other characters would either be mentioned, cameo and/or flash backed, although a few characters like Cynthia will might appear in this new series.

Once again, you're pulling things out of thin air. That 'new' summary that was translated (which is virtually the same as the one that Dephender/Adamant translated a week ago anyway) mentions what we already knew; that the saga will take place in Galar and showcase other regions as well as the Pokemon found in said regions. It says nothing about Ash meeting his old friends or characters from the past in general, yet you keep pushing that narrative as if it's confirmed. This gives some folks here false hope and is just spreading misinformation overall.

Once again, you're pulling things out of thin air. That 'new' summary that was translated (which is virtually the same as the one that Dephender/Adamant translated a week ago anyway) mentions what we already knew; that the saga will take place in Galar and showcase other regions as well as the Pokemon found in said regions. It says nothing about Ash meeting his old friends or characters from the past in general, yet you keep pushing that narrative as if it's confirmed. This gives some folks here false hope and is just spreading misinformation overall.
  1. Need I remind you that that tweet was from It's Official Pokemon Anime Twitter Page.
  2. It said that it's the Seventh Work in the Series. If it was a complete reboot or re-imagining, it would've said so, and would say ''it's the first of an entirely new series.''
  3. M20 had an early idea of having all the companions together, meaning that they might still do so.
  4. It's just ideas and speculations for what it could likely be for the new series.

1. Need I remind you that that tweet was from It's Official Pokemon Anime Twitter Page.
  2. It said that it's the Seventh Work in the Series. If it was a complete reboot or re-imagining, it would've said so, and would say ''it's the first of an entirely new series.''
  3. M20 had an early idea of having all the companions together, meaning that they might still do so.
  4. It's just ideas and speculations for what it could be for the new series.
It's not confirmed that all the old companions are coming back, so please do not get your hopes up.

It's not confirmed that all the old companions are coming back, so please do not get your hopes up.
I'm not, I'm just saying that it's likely. Why else would you think these old companions are not coming back if all 7 Regions are going to be featured in this new series? What about SM with Kanto, Misty and Brock? Why would they bother adding them into the series? Unless, apart from representing and celebrating Pokemon's 20th Anniversary, they were doing so to test the waters, and now with them being a success, they could do so in the anime. It's not too hard to put 2 and 2 together you know. Plus there's GF's 30th Anniversary this year.

If I didn't know better, I'd say you hate the idea of having the old companions back? For me, I wouldn't care either way.

I'm not, I'm just saying that it's likely. Why else would you think these old companions are not coming back if all 7 Regions are going to be featured in this new series? What about SM with Kanto, Misty and Brock? Why would they bother adding them into the series? Unless, apart from representing and celebrating Pokemon's 20th Anniversary, they were doing so to test the waters, and now with them being a success, they could do so in the anime. It's not too hard to put 2 and 2 together you know. Plus there's GF's 30th Anniversary this year.

If I didn't know better, I'd say you hate the idea of having the old companions back? For me, I wouldn't care either way
I don't hate having old companions coming back. I just think that all of them returning is highly unlikely, so stop treating this like it's absolutely confirmed information.

I don't hate having old companions coming back. I just think that all of them returning is highly unlikely, so stop treating this like it's absolutely confirmed information.
Then why do you think it's unlikely? I'm just stating the evidence from what I've dug up?

I do think that we may see some old companions returning, but not all of them.
It's not as if they are all coming together like the scrapped idea for M20. Just because it's scrapped doesn't mean that it can't be recycled. Perhaps for the final arc for the anime they might come together, but for the Regions, we just focus on the companions to each...

Misty and Brock when in Kanto and Johto...
May and Max when in Hoenn...
Dawn when in Sinnoh...
Iris and Cilan when in Unova...
Serena, Clemont and Bonnie when in Kalos...
Lillie, Lana, Mallow, Kiawe and Sophocles when in Alola...
New Companions when in Galar...

I don't see how it'll be hard to bring all of them back, unless you're talking about voice actresses like May's, since they can be replaced. It's not like every character is going to appear in the anime. Just the Main Companions and a few major characters.

It's not as if they are all coming together like the scrapped idea for M20. Just because it's scrapped doesn't mean that it can't be recycled. Perhaps for the final arc for the anime they might come together, but for the Regions, we just focus on the companions to each...

Misty and Brock in Kanto and Johto...
May and Max in Hoenn...
Dawn in Sinnoh...
Iris and Cilan in Unova...
Serena, Clemont and Bonnie in Kalos...
Lillie, Lanal, Mallow, Kiawe and Sophocles in Alola

I don't see how it'll be hard to bring all of them back, unless you're talking about voice actresses like May's, since they can be replaced. It's not like every character is going to appear in the anime. Just the Main Companions and a few major characters.
Except the costs of having to bring back all their VAs on top of contracting the VAs for the main Galar cast and supporting Galar characters (such as rivals), it would just be too much money they would have to pay the VAs. And, that would also lead to a loss in budget.

Except the costs of having to bring back all their VAs on top of contracting the VAs for the main Galar cast and supporting Galar characters (such as rivals), it would just be too much money they would have to pay the VAs. And, that would also lead to a loss in budget.
You're talking about a multi-billion dollar empire here! I'm sure they have more than enough to hire them in Japan. As for the English Dub department, you do understand that most voice actors/actresses do multiple characters and Pokemon.

Anything is possible when it comes to TPCi. Don't underestimate what they can do.

Oh, here we go. Okay fine, I'll clarify in a way that makes my point blatantly clear this time:

Need I remind you that that tweet was from It's Official Pokemon Anime Twitter Page.

...What does that have to do with anything that I previously said? I never said nor implied that the tweet was unofficial or not trustworthy; my whole point is that nothing in said tweet mentioned Ash's old buddies returning in this series, yet you keep trying to reason that that will happen even though there's nothing there that confirms your character return theory.

It said that it's the Seventh Work in the Series. If it was a complete reboot or re-imagining, it would've said so, and would say ''it's the first of an entirely new series.''

Again, how is this relevant to what I said in my last post? I didn't mention a reboot in that post nor did I imply anything of the sort. I was talking specifically about the odds of old characters showing up, which reboot or not, don't look as good to me as they do to you apparently. I'm not saying that a few characters can't possibly return, just that it's not confirmed right now and we won't know for sure until the end of the month most likely when we get the official trailer for this series.

M20 had an early idea of having all the companions together, meaning that they might still do so.

Do you have a trustworthy source for this? Because I've only ever read your comments about this but I've never seen anyone else mention it, so I'm genuinely curious.

But even assuming that this is a fact, what does a scrapped idea for a movie have to do with the ShSw series? If you're trying to say that that idea will be used as a basis for potential character comebacks in ShSw, then I think that's reaching a bit since having all the companions returning would be a lot of hard work for the studio that produces the show since they'd have to pay the old VAs to return and some of them might have conflicting schedules or other commitments. I sorta touched on this a few days ago when we discussed KAORI (May's Japanese VA). The logistics involved in having all those old characters return is just more trouble than it's worth in my opinion.

It's just ideas and speculations for what it could likely be for the new series.

I feel like I've said this before and I'm not trying to be rude, it's just that you don't draw a clear distinction between your personal expectations and facts. They just kinda blur together so it's very difficult to tell when you're discussing your own theories and when you're talking about confirmed information.

Last edited:
Oh, here we go. Okay fine, I'll clarify in a way that makes me point blatantly clear this time:

...What does that have to do with anything that I previously said? I never said nor implied that the tweet was unofficial or not trustworthy; my whole point is that nothing in said tweet mentioned Ash's old buddies returning in this series, yet you keep trying to reason that that will happen even though there's nothing there that confirms your character return theory.

Again, how is this relevant to what I said in my last post? I didn't mention a reboot in that post nor did I imply anything of the sort. I was talking specifically about the odds of old characters showing up, which reboot or not, don't look as good to me as they do to you apparently. I'm not denying that a few characters can't return, just that it's not confirmed right now and we won't know for sure until the end of the month most likely when we get the official trailer for this series.

Do you have a trustworthy source for this? Because I've only ever read your comments about this but I've never seen anyone else mention it, so I'm genuinely curious.

But even assuming that this is a fact, what does a scrapped idea for a movie have to do with the ShSw series? If you're trying to say that that idea will be used as a basis for potential character comebacks in ShSw, then I think that's reaching a bit since having all the companions returning would be a lot of hard work for the studio that produces the show since they'd have to pay the old VAs to return and some of them might have conflicting schedules or other commitments. I sorta touched on this a few days ago when we discussed KAORI (May's Japanese VA). The logistics involved in having all those old characters return is just more trouble than it's worth in my opinion.

I feel like I've said this before and I'm not trying to be rude, it's just that you don't draw a clear distinction between your personal expectations and facts. They just kinda blur together so it's very difficult to tell when you're discussing your own theories and when you're talking about confirmed information.

Here's some sources to where the M20 scrapped idea came from.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iXpf6cfGh8

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWtridJ6Gbg

I believe there was an interview with the director(?) of M20 where he said something along the lines of that was one possible idea they were exploring for that film, but idk if it was anything more than an early idea.

Also, remember how we all thought it was likely that Kasumi and Takeshi would be traveling companions in M20? Or that it was likely Satoshi was going to win the Kalos league? Or that it was likely SwSh would be a traditional one-region series? Things being “likely” don’t mean anything and I really wish people would stop talking about things as if they were confirmed. I’ve seen plenty of backlash and drama over these “likely” things turning out to not be true (and I admittedly had been part of it countless times before) and I can tell that a lot of people in this thread will be very disappointed if their pipe dreams don’t happen.

I believe there was an interview with the director(?) of M20 where he said something along the lines of that was one possible idea they were exploring for that film, but idk if it was anything more than an early idea.

Also, remember how we all thought it was likely that Kasumi and Takeshi would be traveling companions in M20? Or that it was likely Satoshi was going to win the Kalos league? Or that it was likely SwSh would be a traditional one-region series? Things being “likely” don’t mean anything and I really wish people would stop talking about things as if they were confirmed. I’ve seen plenty of backlash and drama over these “likely” things turning out to not be true (and I admittedly had been part of it countless times before) and I can tell that a lot of people in this thread will be very disappointed if their pipe dreams don’t happen.
I'm not expecting or having high hopes, I'm only following clues to what we might get, although they might do a 180 or a red herring on us, these guys can be very crafty.

I'm not expecting or having high hopes, I'm only following clues to what we might get, although they might do a 180 or a red herring on us, these guys can be very crafty.
I doubt they'll try to do anything more to piss off fans. They've already had a taste of it with stock drops after XY final... and the ongoing Dexit controversy. This "all region, all Pokemon" seems like a way of soothing the Dexit issue but they'll have to tread carefully lest they just add gasoline to the flames.

I think saying that EVERY companion is returning might be a confusing statement. I think it would be more accurate to say that every companion CAN return. Like I've said, I don't believe this will be a 3 year series. I think this is the start of an ongoing series that will continue through all future generations, hence returning to the generic name "Pocket Monsters" and not "Sword and Shield". In turn, this will eliminate many of the restrictions that the previous series have had (staying in one region, using only current gen Pokemon, pretending previous adventures never happened). I'm guessing it will be more like Diamond and Pearl, where the writers were allowed to reference older generations and characters whenever they were relevant.

I really don't expect every old character to be shoved into the story at the exact same time, but rather to appear when it makes sense for them to. Let's say Ash returns to Sinnoh, the first thing he is going to do is call up Dawn because it wouldn't make sense to the fans if he didn't acknowledge his old friend. Ash would never have returned to Kanto without Brock and Misty appearing.

I think saying that EVERY companion is returning might be a confusing statement. I think it would be more accurate to say that every companion CAN return. Like I've said, I don't believe this will be a 3 year series. I think this is the start of an ongoing series that will continue through all future generations, hence returning to the generic name "Pocket Monsters" and not "Sword and Shield". In turn, this will eliminate many of the restrictions that the previous series have had (staying in one region, using only current gen Pokemon, pretending previous adventures never happened). I'm guessing it will be more like Diamond and Pearl, where the writers were allowed to reference older generations and characters whenever they were relevant.

I really don't expect every old character to be shoved into the story at the exact same time, but rather to appear when it makes sense for them to. Let's say Ash returns to Sinnoh, the first thing he is going to do is call up Dawn because it wouldn't make sense to the fans if he didn't acknowledge his old friend. Ash would never have returned to Kanto without Brock and Misty appearing.
There's going to be a LOT of things to resolve in order for this idea to work. I'm sure they have the idea, but we'll see on the 29th.

Do you guys think this means anything for the New Anime?

View: https://twitter.com/SergiRomero/status/1170825926344695813?s=19

I fear that the new anime will have a cartoon style just like that animation.

So what we have for this new anime is Ash travelling through Galar with his new companions for the most part, but will also see him travelling to past regions like in SM with Kanto, to see mainly his old companions and how they're doing

If that's the case, then why they just don't call the new series Sword&Shield if Galar gets the most spotlight and all the other regions getting a couple of episodes each. SM also had trips to other regions and they still called the series Sun and Moon and even if the next anime does more regulary, it still could and should be called Sword&Shield. I mean if they already call it "Pocket Monsters" only, then I asume they want to milk out Kanto and all the other regions out.

I fear that the new anime will have a cartoon style just like that animation.

If that's the case, then why they just don't call the new series Sword&Shield if Galar gets the most spotlight and all the other regions getting a couple of episodes each. SM also had trips to other regions and they still called the series Sun and Moon and even if the next anime does more regulary, it still could and should be called Sword&Shield. I mean if they already call it "Pocket Monsters" only, then I asume they want to milk out Kanto and all the other regions out.
Perhaps in the west they'll call it Sword and Shield for little kids to understand of what it is. It happened with Best Wishes that became Black and White. But since we're in this Nostalgia Craze, they'll probably give us the Pokemon title.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom