• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Sword and Shield anime speculation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
This argument doesn't make sense to me.

They wouldn't be throwing away Infernape's development. This wouldn't be like what Star Wars did to their expanded universe by de-canonizing the it. OS-SM would still be just as canon as a potential AU, it would just be a separate timeline.
What exactly would the point of a separate timeline be if it's still going to be continued from the current timeline? For that matter, what would the point of making the current canon into 'potential' AU be?

It only mattered during the Diamond & Pearl saga when it was relevant

I have to agree. I mean when was the last time that Infernape even did anything noteworthy? Sinnoh? His development was definitely a major plot point in DP and despite him attention ****ing for about two years from the moment that Ash caught him as a Chimchar, I still thought that his backstory was really deep and complex. But even so, I can't say that him disappearing via an AU situation would bother me. Same goes for even some of my favorite reserve Pokemon like Buizel and Snivy. Their time was over years ago and it's hard to feel bad about their situation when they haven't been relevant in such a long time (and probably never will be again).

What exactly would the point of a separate timeline be if it's still going to be continued from the current timeline? For that matter, what would the point of making the current canon into 'potential' AU be?

I think you are missing my point.

The timelines would be separate, but both timelines would be "canon". Like how the old movies are just as canon as the new ones.

I think you are missing my point.

The timelines would be separate, but both timelines would be "canon". Like how the old movies are just as canon as the new ones.
Now you're the one who's not making sense to me. I quite understand what you're coming from, however going down that path would only erase all the effort that Ash went through till now. TV Ash, reguardless to how bad he is to people's eyes, made more sense in his 23 year run than AU Ash's 2 year movie run.

Now you're the one who's not making sense to me. I quite understand what you're coming from, however going down that path would only erase all the effort that Ash went through till now. TV Ash, reguardless to how bad he is to people's eyes, made more sense in his 23 year run than AU Ash's 2 year movie run.

For goodness sake, you aren't erasing Ash's prior adventures. This reboot (if they choose to do it) wouldn't de-canonized the timeline we are currently in. This would not be what Star Wars did to their EU after the announcements of the sequel trilogy. This would likely be more like how Sonic has various different shows that timelines don't match up.

For goodness sake, you aren't erasing Ash's prior adventures. This reboot (if they choose to do it) wouldn't de-canonized the timeline we are currently in. This would not be what Star Wars did to their EU after the announcements of the sequel trilogy. This would likely be more like how Sonic has various different shows that timelines don't match up.
I see what you're getting at. We'll see. However we'll more than likely have a similar reboot to BW, XY and SM.

If they want to revist older regions, they don't need Ash for that in a main role. They have some characters in place already: Kanto has Samurai, Johto has Casey, Hoenn has Max/Morrison (We never saw Morrisons journey), Sinnoh has Barry/Conway, Kalos has Tierno/Trevor/Greninja dude and Alvin (The dude that fought Clemont at the end of the saga) and Alola potentially has Hau and Illima (They can make Illima flashbacks and then let it tie into Kalos as well if they don't wanna use Kalos characters). Ash then can do the occasional cameo in those regions.

If they want to revist older regions, they don't need Ash for that in a main role. They have some characters in place already: Kanto has Samurai, Johto has Casey, Hoenn has Max/Morrison (We never saw Morrisons journey), Sinnoh has Barry/Conway, Kalos has Tierno/Trevor/Greninja dude and Alvin (The dude that fought Clemont at the end of the saga) and Alola potentially has Hau and Illima (They can make Illima flashbacks and then let it tie into Kalos as well if they don't wanna use Kalos characters). Ash then can do the occasional cameo in those regions.
If we've seen Kanto, Misty and Brock in SM, then we can already picture of where they will take the new series.

Ash would probably get to Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, Unova and Alola via plane. However getting to Kalos, if to reflect the real world, he would go by train via an underwater tunnel.

I don't see what implies this. It might be a marketing stunt, but they want us to think that this series is different than the rest.
That's Pokemon Anime in a nutshell for you. We might want one thing (No Ash/AU Ash), only to be given something else (TV Ash).

You seem to want TV Ash, so...
If you would've read the posts a page or two ago, the idea of an AU Ash has shown many problems such as his Pokemon he keeps with Professor Oak that had resolved stories, old companions and such. By starting from scratch, it not only be time delaying, but would be unfair for the Galar Region.

If you would've read the posts a page or two ago, the idea of an AU Ash has shown many problems such as his Pokemon he keeps with Professor Oak that had resolved stories, old companions and such. By starting from scratch, it not only be time delaying, but would be unfair for the Galar Region.
It's not like any of those things are guaranteed to appear anyways.

I'm starting to think that we're overthinking this whole main series Ash vs. AU Ash thing. Seeing as how most of the movies aren't canon, it's very unlikely that this new series will be a continuation of M20/21's story. That said, I can't ignore all the M20 references circulating around the recent reveal trailer (M20 logo/Type:Wild ending). I theorize that main series Ash will simply become what we know as AU Ash (as in adopt his design), while the new series adopts the M20/21 art style. Neither of these films will be considered canon, so you can think of them more as an early secret reveal as to what this new series will look like. The story will continue from SM, just with a drastic art-style change, similar to what we got with Black & White (or Sun & Moon).

To me, the sequence in the current anime ending with all the previous hat logos flashing by with the M20 hat finally landing on Pikachu's head implies that current Ash is simply going to change his design into the M20 design. Notice how it's put at the end of the sequence, implying continuity.

It's funny because before this new series was revealed, many fans were speculating/hoping that the next series would use the M20/21 art style, and now I'm thinking that that's exactly what's going to happen. We think of the logo appearing in the series teaser as the "M20 logo", but perhaps it was just an early preview of the "Pocket Monsters" logo all along.

I'm starting to think that we're overthinking this whole main series Ash vs. AU Ash thing. Seeing as how most of the movies aren't canon, it's very unlikely that this new series will be a continuation of M20/21's story. That said, I can't ignore all the M20 references circulating around the recent reveal trailer (M20 logo/Type:Wild ending). I theorize that main series Ash will simply become what we know as AU Ash (as in adopt his design), while the new series adopts the M20/21 art style. Neither of these films will be considered canon, so you can think of them more as an early secret reveal as to what this new series will look like. The story will continue from SM, just with a drastic art-style change, similar to what we got with Black & White (or Sun & Moon).

To me, the sequence in the current anime ending with all the previous hat logos flashing by with the M20 hat finally landing on Pikachu's head implies that current Ash is simply going to change his design into the M20 design. Notice how it's put at the end of the sequence, implying continuity.

It's funny because before this new series was revealed, many fans were speculating/hoping that the next series would use the M20/21 art style, and now I'm thinking that that's exactly what's going to happen. We think of the logo appearing in the series teaser as the "M20 logo", but perhaps it was just an early preview of the "Pocket Monsters" logo all along.
I thought it was the SM hat that Pikachu was wearing, implying all the hats Ash has warn so far, getting everyone ready for what’s to come.

View: https://twitter.com/SergiRomero/status/1170825926344695813?s=19

Last edited:
Do we know were the image came from?
Magazine scans of SM140.

u7UvX2h.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom