• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Sword and Shield anime speculation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
This. Even if Gloria appears in the anime, she's just as likely to own Sobble or Scorbunny as she is to own Grookey, and that's assuming that she'd own a starter Pokemon at all.

Also, I don't get that "It's likely Gloria would be in the game based on the Calender 2020 cover" part of one of the previous posts; we already know that she's in the game, but what does an anime calendar have to do with Gloria's in-game self?
3 theories of why...

1. The Colors - May and Serena both wore red, yet in the anime they both had Fire Type Starters, Torchic and Fennekin. Dawn, though wearing pink and black, had blue hair and had a Water Type Starter, Piplup. Gloria (Similar to Dawn) wears pink and grey, but has a green Tam O' Shanter and socks, plus dark brown hair, boots and bag, matching colors for a Grass Type Starter, Grookey. Honestly, I would think they would pick any other Starter if their Pokemon were not revealed, but yet it seems like they're chosen to suite their colors, and with Grookey in the calendar alongside Lillie's Snowy, Serena's Sylveon and Mallow's Shaymin in the background, that only adds more to this curious theory.

By comparison, Hilda, Rosa and Selene don't have that kind of theme to their character, meaning that Gloria must have been tailor made for that role as companion. Just as Serena mirrors May (ORAS), so does Gloria with Dawn, especially with the Gen 4 Remake most likely coming out next year.

2. The New Consoles - Since AG, it seems like every time a new console Pokemon game comes out, Ash would have a Female Trainer Companion...

GBA = May
DS = Dawn
3DS = Serena
Switch = Gloria

Hilda, Rosa and Selene were not made Ash's companions because their main games for Gen 5 and Gen 7 were on the same consoles as Dawn and Serena's main games, which were the very first for the consoles, Gen 4 for DS and Gen 6 for 3DS.

3. The Remakes - Could also be in relation to the Remakes (not including Let's Go)

GBA = Gen 1 Remake
DS = Gen 2 Remake
3DS = Gen 3 Remake
Switch = Gen 4 Remake

Last edited:
I mean, given Rica Matsumoto's recent comments that seem to heavily imply that Ash's journey will continue one way or another, I think it's pretty much expected that Ash will have to give the Champion title to someone else if he's gonna be traveling around a lot and won't be able to fulfill his duties in Alola on a frequent basis. Kukui's the only person who I could see gaining the Champion title from Ash at this point, unless y'all want Gladion to become the new Champion because he was the runner-up... ?
I haven't actually seen it, but I keep hearing about a statement by the creator clarifying that winning a league doesn't mean Ashes journey is over. In retrospect, this was obviously done to let fans know that Ash could win AND continue his adventure. And perhaps the "champion duties" are going to be downplayed in the anime. more of a hall of fame type thing, similar to his title as orange league champion. And if it's not downplayed, we already know that Alola will be featured in the new series, so returning to face challenges seems like the perfect setup for him to go back.

Yeah, I don't think the blurb said anything about Galar being the main setting.

Speaking of which, if they do go the reboot route, I hope they nationalize the Pokemon league. Instead of regional leagues, we have just one giant one and the championship location rotates every year from region to region (like the Olympics does in real life). IMO, it would make the league feel larger then life and would make it quite the spectacle.

Why are most people in this forum already talking like Galar is the Main Setting when we don't even know about that yet?

Why wouldn't it be the main setting? We already know that it'll be featured and since Shield & Sword will be the newest core games that'll need promo, it makes sense to me that Galar would be the main region that'll be explored. Or do you think that the writers will split screentime between all 8 regions equally? Because imo, it's not realistic to assume that they would; much like how they handle certain Pokemon, they're bound to showcase certain regions more than others and Galar being the new kid on the block just seems like an indication to me that it'll get more screentime than the other regions.

Given how popular Gloria seems to be... I can believe that she'll appear as a companion.
This Anime has been development way before Pokemon Sword and Shield were properly announced. Anime production isn't a reactive process that accounts for immediate fan reactions. Pokemon even less so since it's notorious for its huge production buffer.
Why wouldn't it be the main setting? We already know that it'll be featured and since Shield & Sword will be the newest core games that'll need promo, it makes sense to me that Galar would be the main region that'll be explored. Or do you think that the writers will split screentime between all 8 regions equally? Because imo, it's not realistic to assume that they would; much like how they handle certain Pokemon, they're bound to showcase certain regions more than others and Galar being the new kid on the block just seems like an indication to me that it'll get more screentime than the other regions.
The thing is, they have already announced Pokemon from every Region featuring and mind you, this also includes Mythicals and Legendaries, and some almost definitely showing up randomly like they do in the Current Series. Taking place in all regions means they can drop any semblance of plot and just advertise merch 24/7.

View: https://twitter.com/anipoke_PR/status/1170894617652260865

anybody feel confident ash staying after rica matsumoto's interview

You already let us know many many many times in the past and as recently as six hours ago that you were sure that Ash would stay, so why do you need even more validation for your theory? To answer your question however, yes. I never obsessed over whether he'd leave or not, but it's looking like he might stay which I guess is what you wanted to hear.

Wait... wasn't there a poster about the Sword and Shield anime announced with Gloria and Ash on a poster some time ago? Or have I seen a fake one?? It's not confirmed?????

You already let us know many many many times in the past and as recently as six hours ago that you were sure that Ash would stay, so why do you need even more validation for your theory? To answer your question however, yes. I never obsessed over whether he'd leave or not, but it's looking like he might stay which I guess is what you wanted to hear.
oof
Wait... wasn't there a poster about the Sword and Shield anime announced with Gloria and Ash on a poster some time ago? Or have I seen a fake one?? It's not confirmed?????
That was Fanart.

So the poster was a fake? Wat a pity. To be honest, I don't know if I would like to have Ash again in the next anime season.

Why are most people in this forum already talking like Galar is the Main Setting when we don't even know about that yet?
Yeah, I don't think the blurb said anything about Galar being the main setting.

Speaking of which, if they do go the reboot route, I hope they nationalize the Pokemon league. Instead of regional leagues, we have just one giant one and the championship location rotates every year from region to region (like the Olympics does in real life). IMO, it would make the league feel larger then life and would make it quite the spectacle.

This Anime has been development way before Pokemon Sword and Shield were properly announced. Anime production isn't a reactive process that accounts for immediate fan reactions. Pokemon even less so since it's notorious for its huge production buffer.

The thing is, they have already announced Pokemon from every Region featuring and mind you, this also includes Mythicals and Legendaries, and some almost definitely showing up randomly like they do in the Current Series. Taking place in all regions means they can drop any semblance of plot and just advertise merch 24/7.

View: https://twitter.com/anipoke_PR/status/1170894617652260865

By translation to their last week tweets, it stated that although Galar will be the stage, it will also be set in the other past Regions. Also, this week tweet showed the Galar starters as well as mentioning about discovering the new Pokemon in Galar. So from those statements, it looks as if the new series, just like SM handled Kanto, would have Ash travelling throughnot just Galar, but also visiting the other past regions.

View: https://twitter.com/anipoke_PR/status/1173431329595129861

Although the next series implies all regions will be explored, including Alola which we recently left, I hope it will show the main characters travelling around Alola instead of staying in one place which would be an improvement

By translation to their last week tweets, it stated that although Galar will be the stage, it will also be set in the other past Regions. Also, this week tweet showed the Galar starters as well as mentioning about discovering the new Pokemon in Galar. So from those statements, it looks as if the new series, just like SM handled Kanto, would have Ash travelling throughnot just Galar, but also visiting the other past regions.

View: https://twitter.com/anipoke_PR/status/1173431329595129861

I am not a native speaker, so someone who is can correct me. But what you posted last week, actually doesn't say "main stage", but the stage. And other translators don't even mention stage, but that Galar will be featured in addition to the other 7 regions.

3 theories of why...

1. The Colors - May and Serena both wore red, yet in the anime they both had Fire Type Starters, Torchic and Fennekin. Dawn, though wearing pink and black, had blue hair and had a Water Type Starter, Piplup. Gloria (Similar to Dawn) wears pink and grey, but has a green Tam O' Shanter and socks, plus dark brown hair, boots and bag, matching colors for a Grass Type Starter, Grookey. Honestly, I would think they would pick any other Starter if their Pokemon were not revealed, but yet it seems like they're chosen to suite their colors, and with Grookey in the calendar alongside Lillie's Snowy, Serena's Sylveon and Mallow's Shaymin in the background, that only adds more to this curious theory.

By comparison, Hilda, Rosa and Selene don't have that kind of theme to their character, meaning that Gloria must have been tailor made for that role as companion. Just as Serena mirrors May (ORAS), so does Gloria with Dawn, especially with the Gen 4 Remake most likely coming out next year.

2. The New Consoles - Since AG, it seems like every time a new console Pokemon game comes out, Ash would have a Female Trainer Companion...

GBA = May
DS = Dawn
3DS = Serena
Switch = Gloria

Hilda, Rosa and Selene were not made Ash's companions because their main games for Gen 5 and Gen 7 were on the same consoles as Dawn and Serena's main games, which were the very first for the consoles, Gen 4 for DS and Gen 6 for 3DS.

3. The Remakes - Could also be in relation to the Remakes (not including Let's Go)

GBA = Gen 1 Remake
DS = Gen 2 Remake
3DS = Gen 3 Remake
Switch = Gen 4 Remake

Really, I can't understand how those theories based on colors, or consoles make more sense to you than a theory based on the lore of the games themselves. It makes more sense to choose someone who exists in the games (with a background which the anime can adapt instead of doing something from scratch) as one of Ash's companion and who both players and anime spectators can relate to, than just choosing a character because he/she is the ambassador of a console.

But it still is interesting patterns to notice.

Really, I can't understand how those theories based on colors, or consoles make more sense to you than a theory based on the lore of the games themselves. It makes more sense to choose someone who exists in the games (with a background which the anime can adapt instead of doing something from scratch) as one of Ash's companion and who both players and anime spectators can relate to, than just choosing a character because he/she is the ambassador of a console.

But it still is interesting patterns to notice.
I just look at how the anime does it, not the games. It is the Anime series after all. In Diamond and Pearl, Dawn does little else but act as Professor Rowan's Assistant if playing as Lucas. May and Serena are the only ones that act as the player's Rivals. Gloria may not be in the game, she can be if playing as her in the Wild Area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom