• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Sword and Shield anime speculation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The fact that this saga/series is supposed to promote all the regions and generations of Pokemon when we have Dexit going on is actually one of the things that confuses me. Why did the producers decide that now would be a good time to pander to previous generations when the games will have a limited amount of Pokemon?

It seems like they're trying to downplay the significance of the main series games to their pokemon empire. Making the new series cross regions makes a lot of sense really. The main series games are not the only things that have to be promoted now.

Attempted damage control?

I’m not sure this is the case. We didn’t know about the National Dex thing until E3, and by that point this series had already began production. The main cast, basic series structure, etc would have already been decided by then. Maybe they already knew it would be controversial before June and already knew they had to do something, but I doubt it. Also I firmly believe we won’t be seeing any Pokémon that aren’t available in the games outside of brief cameos.

One of the reasons the reboot/AU idea is nonsense. Not only will it be redundant to go through the same journey all over again (regardless of small changes here and there) but it's pointless too.

I feel like this could be interesting if the focus is put on the companions instead as opposed to Ash.

I'll just add this: The main reason to opt for an AU is so that the older regions feel new, from the perspective of an Ash that hasn't been to them yet (and really, he only saw Pallet in the movie and then a bunch of made up locations). Kids are supposed to relate to him, after all.

I can't even think of a good reason for the current Ash to go back to Alola so soon. His typical self would want to stay in Galar.

I'll just add this: The main reason to opt for an AU is so that the older regions feel new, from the perspective of an Ash that hasn't been to them yet (and really, he only saw Pallet in the movie and then a bunch of made up locations). Kids are supposed to relate to him, after all.

I can't even think of a good reason for the current Ash to go back to Alola so soon. His typical self would want to stay in Galar.
He’ll probably save the more recent Regions till last if Ash is travelling through Galar and visiting older Regions.

Now that Ash became the Alolan champion, maybe Gary became the Kantonian champion off-screen.

One of the reasons the reboot/AU idea is nonsense. Not only will it be redundant to go through the same journey all over again (regardless of small changes here and there) but it's pointless too. The only way older regions could work is in the same vein that Kanto was in the SM season, as in revisiting old friends or for some sort of task/quest. Or it could also work if there's something akin to an inter-regional tournament/competition akin to UEFA CL.

Who is to say they would retell the same journey? You don't have to do that for a reboot, it is not a requirement. Movie 21 is essentially an AU and yet the story is completely original. Some anti-AU fans have this black/white view on this and assume they would just retell stories from previous sagas.

Who is to say they would retell the same journey? You don't have to do that for a reboot, it is not a requirement. Movie 21 is essentially an AU and yet the story is completely original. Some anti-AU fans have this black/white view on this and assume they would just retell stories from previous sagas.
The reason why the AU movies have worked (to some extent) are because they're small snippets/pockets of story. I can guarantee you that a full scale AU won't work at all and if it did then it'll mostly feel like a repeat of what has come.

The reason why the AU movies have worked (to some extent) are because they're small snippets/pockets of story. I can guarantee you that a full scale AU won't work at all and if it did then it'll mostly feel like a repeat of what has come.

How do you know that?

It is bizarre you are making such a definitive statement without any evidence.

How do you know that?

It is bizarre you are making such a definitive statement without any evidence.
The new series could start in Galar, but will be like M21 with completely new and original cast of companions for the series, original story that loosely follows SwSh but with it being an international event with the other regions, rather than a Galar League.

Now that Ash became the Alolan champion, maybe Gary became the Kantonian champion off-screen.

He's trying to become a professor now, so I doubt he even participates in tournaments anymore. Besides his rivalry with Ash is over, so I'm not sure what the point of him also becoming a Champion would be.

Alright, so they are officially calling next weeks episode Final Battle! Ash Vs Kukui! So, I still believe that this further supports reboot

Alright, so they are officially calling next weeks episode Final Battle! Ash Vs Kukui! So, I still believe that this further supports reboot
Not as much of a reboot as being like M21, with Ash in the Galar Region with original anime exclusive companions, but instead of this being the Galar League would be an International League.

I think it means the final main battle of this region/series but even I'm not sure until next week confirms all.

Ash vs Kukui would probably be a two parter SM141-SM142. Since we have 2 episodes left, It looks like the series will end in a way where people would watch the beginning of the SM series. Nothing Galar related. Not even the films this year, which makes me think the anime would start just like M21 with Ash being in Galar with no rhyme or reason but to be a part of soMe International League.

Last edited:
Ash vs Kukui would probably be a two parter SM141-SM142. It looks like the series will end in a way where people would watch the beginning of the SM series. Nothing Galar related. Not even the films this year, which makes me think the anime would start just like M21 with Ash being in Galar with no rhyme nor reason but to be a part of soMe International League.
I don't see them doing an International League storyline unless they plan on ending the anime entirely, or at least Ash's journey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom