• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Sword and Shield anime speculation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll be kind of bummed if the new character does turn out to be a guy just because watching people lose their minds over a non-traditional looking female companion has been hilarious.
Why? We'd still have a non-traditional looking male companion, no?

I'd have to disagree, shading seems to be more reserved to ambient occlusion, the shapes are more round (not only talking about the hair) and the eyes are more triangular (but the iris to sclera ratio is similar to XY), the eye size is probably the closest thing to XY's style tbh, but that's about it.
Still, it's closest in style to XY. In fact, it's closer to XY style than XY Ash ever was.

I guess they're doing this not just to refresh the series to a new direction, but also because Japan has a tendency for Eras, since the Hensei era that had Pokemon's start ended this year, and the beginning of Reiwa.

If it's Ash and a Male Companion, then I can see the formula working like this...

Kanto and Johto: Ash, Male Companion, Misty
Hoenn: Ash, Male Companion, May
Sinnoh: Ash, Male Companion, Dawn
Unova: Ash, Male Companion, Iris
Kalos: Ash, Male Companion, Serena
Alola: Ash, Male Companion, Lillie
Galar: Ash, Male Companion, Female Companion

I guess that wish for the Heisei style series is over for a UK based Region. It's just surprising how things change rapidly in just 10 years. If getting rid of Edward and Henry in Thomas the Tank Engine and replacing them with new Female Characters and revamping the series to Big World Big Adventures is an insult to the original, then I do not know if I could say the same with the opposite for this new revamp to Pokemon.

I'm sorry, there's just so many changes that it's hard to cope with it all. Especially when you are disabled. (And Big World Big Adventures's episode ''Forever and Ever'' only made expectations worse.) This change wasn't gradual like a new building project, but a massive natural disaster in comparison. Since May, Pokemon have been giving me disappointment after disappointment, and this is from someone hoping for it to be good and for them to succeed. Now it feels as if I can never belong with them, like this is an exclusive club that doesn't allow anyone in. Mainly made up of Japanese since this is a Japanese product first and foremost.

So hopefully you understand to where I'm coming from. 10 years of waiting with hope and expectations... wasted.

Last edited:
so idk if anyone said this yet but the reason this was leaked was because a staff member did so by accident and that staff member usually works on one piece and he confirmed that the character we think is a girl is actually a boy

Looks like Pokemon is going to suffer without a female main character.

...Did Sun and Moon have too much eye candy?

..Does anyone remember when an art director basically gave that as the reason for rotating the female companions? Pokebeach interview

boys need a new piece of eye candy to look at every once in a while

Who is the actor that voices the boy?
Change isn't always so bad.

Daiki Yamashita

They're basically alienating half their audience. I don't think that they would want Pokemon to be seen as something that only boys should like, although they're doing a good job at that.

And I see what they're doing. Just as having female companions is a way to attract eye candy for the boys, now it's the girl's turn.

Daiki Yamashita

And I see what they're doing. Just as having female companions is a way to attract eye candy for the boys, now it's the girl's turn.
That's Masamitsu Hidaka who said that, and as far as I know he doesn't work on the anime anymore. Not having a female companion is a horrible business mistake that will cost them in the end, as young girls tune out and once people start saying that Pokemon is only for boys it would be harder for girls to get into the franchise. I don't think that Pokemon can survive appealing to just one gender.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom