• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Sword and Shield anime speculation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
They are not THAT conservative, the younger generations anyways ... most under the age of 50 probably won't care too much that some anime boy is in a romantic relationship with another male his age. The average Japanese tends to be pretty chill about what's on television, they have bigger things to worry about in real life.

I feel like the new kid might be named Tristian. Just a hunch although some variation of Mathew sounds possible. I hope not but I have a gut feeling its going to be a common name.

Why Tristian?

Most Japanese probably won't care too much that some anime boy is in a romantic relationship with another male his age. Even the more conservative ones would probably just write some mean comments on Twitter and get bored five seconds later.

I feel like the new kid might be named Tristian. Just a hunch although some variation of Mathew sounds possible. I hope not but I have a gut feeling its going to be a common name.

Let us not forget the public and the producers are two different thing. I mean we are in a bit of a tuffle between what the public wants and what Game Freak wants or chooses to do, for example, and we live in a age where, say, Square Enix is surprised people want JRPGs and that they would be successful.

'Sleeper Hits' are a thing, and that includes Pokemon once upon a time, and Splatoon in modern times in the Nintendosphere.

Why Tristian?

I was thinking about names that would likely be used for a major character in Pokemon. Tristan honestly sounds like the sort of name the writers might give to a character. Why? I can't put my finger on it, but something about the name screams Pokemon protagonist.

Although this is pure speculation on my part, don't take as gospel.

Are you guys talking about same-sex-relationships? This is something that Japanese artists have done years before. I can not see why Japan has to catch-up with a concept the American's use now that got inspire day something the Japanese artists have done years before.

....I've heard it said that while they were more open at it, the way that relationships are handled in general makes it seem less up front and serious.

the Japanese aren't as bold about relationships as Westerners are, and that applies to all relationships.

I'm sure someone more familiar with, say, Yuri on Ice can explain it.

....Why are we focusing on that type of thing? This is Pokemon they are fairly focused more on Pokemon, battling and world building opposed to Social Issues. Plus Japan is an incredibly Conservative so I don't think they'll try playing "catch up", as Grass Type Gardenia, says.

I honestly have no idea.

That said, wonder if Ash and his new companion will get their starters at the same type or met up sometime later after one of them gets their starter from Professor Magnolia.

As a gay person myself I’m sitting here laughing at the ignorance some of you guys still have in the year 2019...grow up please and thank you!

On the one hand having gay characters in media is not necessarily “dealing with social issues” because gay people are, surprisingly, normal people but on the other hand this show is so not focused on romance of any kind Serena being the oddity that if anything it would most likely be a same-sex couple COTD.

Kalos confirmed

71113879-2944947282186697-4828700060080406528-n.jpg

I'd laugh really hard if this turns out to be a fake after all.
I'd presume sexuality, but I'd highly doubt that. I call Japan 'Cyber-Alabama' for a reason.
According to most lists I've seen on the net, Japan is barely below USA in gay rights, and it's mostly because of lack of legislation regarding certain things.

Not long now till we get info. Only half an hour,

View: https://twitter.com/anipoke_PR/status/1178217872125882368

Translation from Bing:

"People People People
Today is finally the time to

YYYYYYYYY
Today, at 6 pm (TV Tokyo series)
Pokémon in The Sun & Moon Broadcast
The new anime "Pokemon"
 ✨✨✨✨✨✨✨
Details Details Table!

✨✨✨✨✨✨✨