• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

pokemon that are Just Some Guy

Reaction score
there's over 900 pokemon, and as we all know they are.. very much not created equal. some are sick as hell, others are infamously mundane, and most of them have some little quirk that makes them noteworthy, for better or for worse. but of course, some mons are just kind of.. "oh yeah, that one exists". so which pokemon would you say just never get mentioned in any kind of conversation?

numel.png

i'd say numel is a pretty big contender looking at it now, like i was talking about pokemon go (more specifically how numel is like the only ground type spawning at the moment), and i realized "fuck dude, when's the last time anyone ever talked about numel?" and here i am now making this thread.

like it's not outright mundane like say, pidgey for instance, but there's not much to really talk about either. the most noteworthy thing i can think of about it is that as a kid there was this one AG dvd that had some eps on it and one of them was about numel.

swalot.png

breloom.png

gen 3 has a lot of kind of forgettable pokemon, actually. when's the last time you thought about breloom? or swalot? it's not like i just don't have experience with gen 3 i've played oras multiple times and imo they're quite possibly some of the best games in the series, there's just a lot of pokemon that are just. oh yeah they sure do exist.

before i just start listing off gen 3 pokemon dubiously honorable mentions to delcatty, tropius, and exploud

900px-874Stonjourner.png
900px-672Skiddo.png
for some more recent ones, i'm gonna say skiddo and gogoat and to a lesser extent stonjourner. the first two are honestly probably just like this because they haven't been in a regional dex since their debut and they're not even in go yet either so they're pretty much only in XY i think? so ouch, it's kind of a shame since they do look neat, but alas. stonjourner my brain just hasn't entirely registered yet i haven't seen it enough for my brain to completely go "oh yeah that pokemon". i also have barely heard about gossifleur since it's initial announcement so yeah.

211Qwilfish-Hisui.png

on a more positive note, however, a genuinely honorable mention for qwilfish and the comeback it's made in legends arceus! i remember when i was a kid for a good while i had no idea qwilfish even existed, and here it is now getting a regional form and an evolution. whether you like qwilfish or not, you gotta respect how far it's come.

For me, Pincurchin takes the title. In three years it hasn't done anything to convince me it's more than just dex filler, it barely has appeared in the anime and the games. Other generations also have examples, though:
  • Kanto: Spearow, Fearow, Mankey, Venomoth, Dugtrio, Shellder, Seaking.
  • Johto: Mareep, Hoppip family, Murkrow, Slugma, Magkargo.
  • Hoenn: Silcoon, Cascoon, Nincada, Ninjask, Spoink, Grumpig, Cacturne, Lileep, Cradily, Spheal, Sealeo, Wailrein.
  • Sinnoh: Starly, Staravia, Burmy, Wormadam, Mothim, Cherrim, Glameow.
  • Unova: Patrat, Watchog, Purrloin, Liepard, Lillipup, Herdier, Pidove, Tranquill, Unfezant, Blitzle, Zebstrika, Swoobat, Drillbur, Throh, Sawk, Cotonee, Maractus, Tirtouga, Carracosta, Gothita, Gothorita, Gotithelle, Solosis, Duosion, Ducklett, Sawsbuck, Karrablast, Ferroseed, Tynamo, Eelectrik, Shellmet, Accelgor, Bouffalant, Heatmor, Durant.
  • Kalos: Scatterbug, Spewpa, Furfrou, Skrelp, Dragalge, Clauncher, Clawitzer, Carbink, Volcanion.
  • Alola: Pikipek, Trumbeak, Toucannon, Yungoos, Gumshoos, Mudbray, Fomantis, Bounsweet, Komala, Comfey.
  • Galar: Rookidee, Corvisuire, Blipbug, Gossifleur, Eldegoss, Carkol, Silicobra, Sandaconda, Barraskewda, Sizzlipede.

For me, Pincurchin takes the title. In three years it hasn't done anything to convince me it's more than just dex filler, it barely has appeared in the anime and the games. Other generations also have examples, though:
  • Kanto: Spearow, Fearow, Mankey, Venomoth, Dugtrio, Shellder, Seaking.
  • Johto: Mareep, Hoppip family, Murkrow, Slugma, Magkargo.
  • Hoenn: Silcoon, Cascoon, Nincada, Ninjask, Spoink, Grumpig, Cacturne, Lileep, Cradily, Spheal, Sealeo, Wailrein.
  • Sinnoh: Starly, Staravia, Burmy, Wormadam, Mothim, Cherrim, Glameow.
  • Unova: Patrat, Watchog, Purrloin, Liepard, Lillipup, Herdier, Pidove, Tranquill, Unfezant, Blitzle, Zebstrika, Swoobat, Drillbur, Throh, Sawk, Cotonee, Maractus, Tirtouga, Carracosta, Gothita, Gothorita, Gotithelle, Solosis, Duosion, Ducklett, Sawsbuck, Karrablast, Ferroseed, Tynamo, Eelectrik, Shellmet, Accelgor, Bouffalant, Heatmor, Durant.
  • Kalos: Scatterbug, Spewpa, Furfrou, Skrelp, Dragalge, Clauncher, Clawitzer, Carbink, Volcanion.
  • Alola: Pikipek, Trumbeak, Toucannon, Yungoos, Gumshoos, Mudbray, Fomantis, Bounsweet, Komala, Comfey.
  • Galar: Rookidee, Corvisuire, Blipbug, Gossifleur, Eldegoss, Carkol, Silicobra, Sandaconda, Barraskewda, Sizzlipede.
i mean tbf a lot of the ones you listed do have things that make them noteworthy, or atleast in the case of a few are pre-evos to REALLY good mons. you can't have a corviknight without rookidee and corvisquire, you know, and i know i mentioned numel but there's a reason i made sure to mainly stick to fully evolved mons (or in the case of skiddo and gogoat the whole line). also maractus, clawitzer, and sandaconda did NOT deserve that </3 you're totally right about komala though it's always felt kind of off to me, i think mainly because for some reason it not having any evolutions just feels really weird.

thinking on it, i've seen maractus mentioned a lot when it comes to forgettable mons but i feel like at worst it's in a similar category to finneon and lumineon which, as mentioned in an earlier post here, are noteworthy for how forgettable they are. at best, maractus is a genuinely pretty neat pokemon that just suffers from being hard to find but not particularly hyped up

Everyone has already mentioned almost every underrepresented mons, even I would like to mention a Pokemon which hasn't been underrepresented totally but still it has been distorted poorly by its pre evo. Surely you might have got some idea at this point, yeah it's Raichu. I know that there are plenty of Pokemon which doesn't even get a grain of focus. I'm also aware that it has got an Regional Variant and I'm not saying that it barely gets focus or it's forgettable. I'm just trying to say that it has been overshadowed by Pikachu. Like Why did Raichu got excluded from Pokemon Unite? Or Why Raichu always gets his ass kicked by Pikachu in the Anime? It's really unfair. The idea of this thread might not go well with this, but imo Raichu is one of the Pokemon which doesn't get proper representation by the franchise. It is just like Lone Elder brother watching his cute looking younger brother surrounded by girls pinching cheeks. Sigh
raichu-faint.gif

Last edited:
Pokemon that I truly tend to forget exist... guys like Paras/Parasect, Surskit/Masquerain, Tyrogue and Barboach fit the bill, even though Tyrogue and Barboach have memorable evolutions -- up until just now, I'd totally forgotten Whiscash isn't a single-stage Pokemon.
I've never seen anyone talk about Clamperl, either, or Morelull and Shiinotic in a casual conversation.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom