• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon that Ash may never have

Srebak

Reaction score
Barring the obvious legendary pokemon, what Pokemon are never likely to be in Ash's care?

The series seems to be against him having a ghost-type or psychic-type (at least till the very end), as well as him having a fully evolved dragon-type. Come to think of it, he never seems to have more than one large pokemon on hand at the time. The only really big ones i can remember are Charizard, Kingler (but not by much), Lapras, Bayleaf (but not by much also), Sceptile and Torterra. Why are all of his pokemon so small?

Also, just a thought, would it be unlikely for him to, instead of evolving Pikachu, simply capture a Raichu?

It definitely be unlikely for him to get a Raichu or any other electric type since he always has Pikachu. It would be more likely that one of Ash's companions gets one but I still won't hold my breath for it since the region's pikaclone always has to be around so Raichu would be redundant unless they want a very specific character dynamic between the other 2 electric types.

On another note other Pokemon Ash will not have. Obviously he won't have anything that will cause problems in writing battles or logistics like a Wailord that would be even worse than Snorlax. He probably won't get a pure dark type. I know he had a Krookodile and a Scraggy but they didn't show the unique things a dark typing can do instead showing more of what their other type does and the same will probably happen when he gets a Greninja.

Last edited:
He did sort of have a Haunter in the original series but it was never a legitimate capture. It was also left in the care of Sabrina. So that's that. Regarding him never having a psychic-type that is true but he does have Noctowl. Which is capable of using physic moves.

Ash did have a Goodra that he evolved from a Goomy but it suffered a similar fate as Bulbasaur. It's not a total loss since his Noibat will evolve into Noivern during the XY & Z series.

Most of his pokemon tend to be small because of his battling methods. Ash relies heavily on speed and mobility. That doesn't mean none of his larger pokemon are quick on their feet. Bayleef, Kingler, Sceptile, and Snorlax have shown to be just as quick when they need to.

Finding a Raichu isn't easy. Since they require a thunder stone in order to evolve. If he did find one it most likely already has a trainer. Anyways Pikachu has defeated multiple Raichus before so he has no need to evolve Pikachu or capture a Raichu.

Regarding your question it's obvious that he well never have pokemon that obstructs his battling methods too much. So pretty much very large ones(ironic since he has a Snorlax, Torterra) or pokemon that need a specific environment in order to perform(Goldeen, Sharpedo, Seaking).

Last edited:
If anything, its definitely Electric types. Because he has Pikachu, they'll never give him another Electric type. Pikachu is all he needs for Electric. The writes have been oddly keeping Psychic and Ghost types away from him also. I don't see a reason why he can't have either.

Well, as others have stated, he'll never obtain another Electric Mon. Pikachu fills that slot, and since he's on a permanent basis, there's no chance at another Electric type getting in the mix. And, also as others have stated, Ghost and Psychic Mons seem to be off-limits to him for some odd reason (yet TRio have had at least four), discounting the unofficial Haunter. And so far Fairy-types haven't made it to his team yet, either (although I know it's a fairly new type to him, still seems odd that he hasn't at least gotten interested in catching one by now), so it makes me wonder if he'll ever get a Fairy-type. And last but not least, Water-types that are not amphibious (fish Pokemon, in short) won't make it on his team in any situation (as evident by Misty's Goldeen, which had very few appearances where there wasn't any pond, lake, river, etc around).

He definitely will never have Jynx. Controversy reasons.
I don't even think the anime will show Jynx anymore.

-Riolu/Lucario, that ship has sailed.
-Wobbuffet, Meowth, Ditto, Unown, or other gimmick or mascot Pokemon.
-Fish Pokemon, unless is for some special arc.
-Overly girly Pokemon.

All the fierce-looking ones that are generally used by the villains' bosses.
E.g. Nidoking, Nidoqueen, Rhydon, Gyarados, Houndoom, Camerupt, Sharpedo, Salamence, Drapion, Hydreigon, etc.

All the signature pokemons used by the champions.
E.g. Dragonite, Metagross, Milotic, Garchomp, Volcarona, Gardevoir, etc.

All the signature pokemons used by the significant in-game NPCs.
E.g. Gallade, Riolu/Lucario, Happiny/Chansey/Blissey, Arcanine, Altaria, Klinklang (and possibly its evolution line as well), etc

All the excessively large size pokemons.
E.g. Onix/Steelix, Wailord, Avalugg. But cannot say for sure if the anime wanted to "size-down" these pokemons for the sake of it.

And then for some personal reasons, I don't expect Ash will have these pokemons, probably because it just doesn't matches his personality and characteristics.
Vulpix/Ninetales
Growlithe/Arcanine (repeated)
Tentacool/Tentacruel
Kangaskhan + Mega
Scyther/Scizor
Ditto
Eevee + all its evolutions
Porygon + all its evolution (this one is just obvious)
Unown (this one is also obvious)
Teddiursa/Ursaring (Because of Paul?)
Bellossom
Tyranitar (I knew he had an unofficial Larvitar before, but that has nothing to do with this)
All the pokemons used by TRio
All the psychic types (sorry to say, but somehow I really can't associate Ash's character to hold any psychic pokemons)
All the pokemons used by his friends (but his friends may catches pokemons he used before, and also except trades)
Aron/Lairon/Aggron + Mega
Zangoose
Castform
Absol + Mega
All the fossil pokemons + Relicanth
Buneary/Lopunny
Chatot
Rotom
Zorua/Zoroark
Sigilyph
Cryogonal
Flabebe/Floette/Florges
Furfrou

Speaking of that, other than psychic and ghost type (bar Haunter), steel type is also one type he never had pokemon before.

I believe that the Raichu Ash temporarily battled with in the Sinnoh summer school arc was basically there to throw a bone to the people who always wanted Ash to have Raichu. That's certainly the closest he'll ever get to owning one.

I also agree with Nicolas721 about Riolu/Lucario. People always get so excited whenever there's a perceived prospect of Ash owning one, but I think it's pretty clear by now that the anime's interests are elsewhere.

Last edited:
I'm honestly not sure at this point. For the longest time I remember fans saying that he'd never get a Dragon type, or a Dark type, but they've happened. He's also gotten Pokemon like Gliscor, Muk, Krookodile, or Glalie that don't really "suit" his heroic standing, but they worked around that with cute personality quirks. Greninja is bucking the trend of unevolved Water Pokemon. Goodra was his first pseudo. etc. I wouldn't rule out anything other than Legendaries.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom