• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon that disappointed you on playthroughs

I will go by Generation here.

Kanto: All stink but Charmander-Charizard, the legends, Kabutops, Aerodactyl, Electabuzz, Fearow, Arbok, Lapras, and Victreebel. Why: Either not too useful or whatnot.

Johto: Chikorita-Meganium, Marill-Azumarill, and Unown A-! Why: Chika-Line is GARBAGE, same with Marill Line, and Unown is obvious.

Hoenn: SO MUCH FAIL begins here... ALL stink but Mudkip-Swampert, Ralts-Gardevoir, Absol, Tropius, Lunatone, Bagon-Salamence, Zigzagoon-Linoone, Roselia, Cacnea-Cacturne, Mawile, Aron-Aggron, Skitty-Delcatty, Plusle, Minun, the game star legends, Jirachi, Taillow-Swellow, Armaldo, and Milotic. Why: Hoenn has always been my LEAST favorite Gen. SO MUCH FAIL.

Sinnoh: ALL stink but Torterra, Luxray, Garchomp, Skuntank, all the new evos but Lickillicky and Tangrowth, Palkia, Giratina, Darkrai, Shaymin, Mothim, Vespiquen, Rotom, Cherrim, Rampardos, Purugly, Mesprit, Azelf, Drapion, Spiritomb, the blue Shellos line, and Floatzel. Why: Again, this Gen is BAD...

Unova: Tepig-Emboar, Oshawott-Samurott, Blitzle-Zebstrika, Stunfisk, Heatmor, Simipour, Sewaddle-Leavanny, Cofagrigius, Alomomola, Jellicent, Basculin, Amoongus, Klink-Klinklang, Beartic, Garbodor, Accelgor, Escavalier, Hydreigon, Druddigon, Musharna, Reniculous Line, Golett Line, Timburr Line, Throh, Beheeyem Line, Zekrom, Stoutland, Vullaby Line, Braviary Line, and Black Kyurem. Why: All were either PAINFULLY hard to get and/or weak.

I perhaps have more patience than is good for me when it concerns pokémon, but I did lose my temper with Cryogonal. I really didn't want to raise a Cubchoo (It's the snot ...) however cool (Hurhur) Beartic looks. The cursed thing was just too fragile in the end

People above saying that Infernape and Empoleon are bad , seriously??. I had all three starters on my playthrough in Pearl and both Empoleon and Infernape were my main sweepers and they never fainted, even Empoleon OHKO'ed Cynthia's Garchomp with a Ice Beam after surviving an Earthquake and Empoleon was level 63.

I think Empoleon is a complicated Pokémon to get used to, since it is quite slow, but it certainly isn't a bad Pokémon nor it is the worst Water-type starter as CynthiaLover claimed (It is definitely better than Blastoise, Samurott and on par with Feraligatr imo). I love its bulkiness and high special attack (although I wish it was physically oriented :/). I used Empoleon in most of my Platinum playthroughs and it never disappointed me. I also have one in my PWT team and the thing is a beast. :3 As far as Sinnoh starters are concerned, it is better than Torterra and not as good as Infernape. I dunno why people hate it so much.
The Hoenn and Sinnoh starters are so far the set of starters didn't dissapointing and i loved using them, the other set of starters from others regions there's at least one that dissaponted me. A starter that dissapointed me greatly was Meganium, it's just bad in competitive battling and to use during a normal playthrough.

Togetic disappointed me in Crystal. Metronome's fun, but aside from that, the thing had a terrible movepool; I didn't bother teaching it Fire Blast because it was incredibly tedious to get and I had Typhlosion anyway. I'm glad it got better moves in later games.

The only Pokemon that has ever disappointed me was Castform. I really like the thing, but it's stats are absolute garbage. Not to mention that you'll probably want to use it when the weather is rainy/snowing/warm, and that takes a turn up.

Odd enough though, I've used almost all the Pokemon people have mentioned, and haven't found any of them bad. :\

The one who definitely disappointed me the most was Ditto. I'd spent so much effort catching one, then it didn't even hold its own weight up.

Purrloin: I planned on using one during my White playthrough, but it proved to be difficult to train since it always seemed to have poorer moves than a Lillipup or a Patrat of the same level.

Oh, and I forgot about Kenhalow. I love the regional birds and I always have them on my team, but Kenhalow was so pain to have. Not worth the team spot. Doesn't learn anything decent and it just sucks...sadly :(

Diglett/Dugtrio- Ugh, the Diglett line cannot take a single hit. I used one up until Victory Road in FireRed, but boxed it for a Marowak because Dugtrio fainted whenever it got hit by something. Very disappointing.

Gastly/Haunter/Gengar- Boxed it in SoulSilver after it still had Lick/Night Shade as its STAB at the fourth gym. It was falling behind the other Pokemon too.

Machop/Machoke/Machamp- Its level up moves consist of Fighting moves and random status moves. It's also a bit too slow for my tastes.

Onix/Steelix- Not much offensive power and defensive play is not really my thing, and it's SO. FREAKING. SLOW!

Mine was my Weezing in White 2. Didn't realize its move pool was so lackluster, got itself KO'd quite a bit. Thankfully I still got it to a relatively high level for the Elite Four.

Samurott. I used one in White 2. It was fine up to Dewott, but it the low stats really began to show around Mistralton. I dragged it all the way to the E4 as I always use my starter there, but I think it would prefer getting boxed with the kind of beatings it received.

Zebstrika - so difficult to use without seeing it faint constantly.
I never used Blitzle at all, as my husband said outright that his sucked horribly. He's called it the worst Electric type in existence. So yeah, I avoided it like the plague.
Drifblim - disappointing to use with its weak Shadow Ball and poor defensive capabilities. I had to switch it out for another Ghost that could Fly, so I picked Golurk. Never looked back.
Well, who could look back when you're riding high on the back of a ceramic ghost-robot? XD All joking aside, I tried Drifloon in my run on Pearl and it was seriously disappointing. It's cute and all but it's so weak. Mine couldn't hold its own so it got evolved and boxed.

Pansear was a serious disappointment on Black. Even over-leveled, it kept getting getting nailed by ineffective attacks that would kill it. So I pitched it in the PC and left it there.

Elekid to Electabuzz can be a real downer, too. Elekid is insanely fragile; look at it wrong and it faints. Thankfully, I stuck with Loki and got a true brawler when I evolved him into Electivire. If you can tough it out that long, you get the reward. The problem is toughing it out, believe me. (There were times I was so tempted to box my Elekid but I forced myself to keep training him!)

Drifblim - disappointing to use with its weak Shadow Ball and poor defensive capabilities. I had to switch it out for another Ghost that could Fly, so I picked Golurk. Never looked back.
Well, who could look back when you're riding high on the back of a ceramic ghost-robot? XD All joking aside, I tried Drifloon in my run on Pearl and it was seriously disappointing. It's cute and all but it's so weak. Mine couldn't hold its own so it got evolved and boxed.
:( Drifblim was one of my 4 main pokemon on Platinum version! I love him!

I never used Blitzle at all, as my husband said outright that his sucked horribly. He's called it the worst Electric type in existence. So yeah, I avoided it like the plague.

I loved my Zebstrika in Black. =(

I'm not a competitive player, and am only talking about in-game, but I really never saw how it was a bad Pokemon. It worked just fine for me.

I loved my Zebstrika in Black. =(

I'm not a competitive player, and am only talking about in-game, but I really never saw how it was a bad Pokemon. It worked just fine for me.
Therein lies the problem. My hubby was simply using his in-game. No matter what he tried, he couldn't keep it alive. I don't think I've heard him swear so much as when he tried to train his Blitzle. Every few moments, he was reviving it before he finally said forget it. That pretty much nailed it for me and I ran with Joltik. Blitzle just sounded way too frail for me.

Biggest disappointment: Scolipede.

I know Scolipede aren't supposed to be strong, but before B/W was released I was totally pumped to use one because I love(d) its design and it seemed somewhat strong. It did okay up to some point, its Speed came in handy but later in the game it was just defeated with one hit time after time. Then I replaced it with Volcarona (which is one of the best Pokémon I have ever used).

Others which have disappointed me are Samurott, Beartic, Raichu and Donphan. And probably a couple of others. I know Zoroark isn't that strong and it isn't always useful all the time because it is defeated quite fast, but I just can't get to hate it ;_; I love it so much.

Galvantula, Unfezant and Bibareal. I thought they would be awesome but ended up turning out rubbish.

Eelektross in White. Too slow.

And Samurott in White 2. He wasn't as bad as Eelektross, but he should have been better.

From the top of my head:

Serperior, Emboar, Samurott & Purrloin.

The starters were good for in-game, but there are better choices than them, a problem I don't recall having in previous
generations.

& I tried using Purrloin, but it was just too weak for my liking...
Disappointing, as I love cats...

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom