• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon that disappointed you on playthroughs

Tepig = Useless. Better waiting for Volcarona
Any of the birds normal/flying. pidgey, spearow, etc. Good up until lvl 35 then useless.
Purrloin = Useless. See previous posts for reasons.

Serperior in my Black 2. I mean usually i tend to focus on my starter pokemon, they tend to appeal to me more for most of the game but this was a letdown for me. The reason im more disappointed in him is because he's a starter so I automatically expect good things. After reading hints online, his usefulness improved but not by much. Definitely my least favorite starter out of all the games.

Serperior in my Black 2. I mean usually i tend to focus on my starter pokemon, they tend to appeal to me more for most of the game but this was a letdown for me. The reason im more disappointed in him is because he's a starter so I automatically expect good things. After reading hints online, his usefulness improved but not by much. Definitely my least favorite starter out of all the games.

I started B2 a week or so ago and chose Snivy and am having the same problem. I actually just pulled her out of the box after forgetting she was in there :/ I also boxed my Lucario yesterday in favor of someone more useful/interesting. This may be due to the fact that I'm raising it incorrectly but I don't care. Don't want him lol

Swalot: I don't know what the hell I was thinking when I caught a Gulpin but this Pokémon is SO boring to use.

Medicham: It's not a bad Pokémon, but like Swalot, I found it pretty boring to use.

Golem: That type combination is awful and I don't really like slow Pokémon. I wanted to give it a chance, but it just didn't do it for me.

Butterfree: It has a good moveset (it learns all powder moves early on) but its awful typing and frail defenses were just too much.

Beedrill: It just looks good, but it's awful and its moveset sucks.

Voltorb: It only learns freaking Normal moves and one or two Electric moves!! Plus, I found kind of hard to train.

Simisear: I didn't even want to catch it; I was going to wait for Litwick to appear, but I needed a Fire-type to beat Cilan and his stupid Pansage. Simisear is boring, it isn't even strong, and it's fragile.

There are more, but I don't really remember all of them...

Last edited:
I don't get why everyone says Samurott, I found Samurott to be the best Unova water type... or maybe I'm just biased. Anyway, don't try Golbat in Red or Blue. I am currently using it (I never dump a team member), and it is so bad. It shines after it evolves for a little while, but that is about it. Also, I don't see why everyone thinks Lucario in Black 2 and White 2 is so useful; maybe its just because its only STAB is Force Palm (for a while) and I had an attack lowering nature, but this guy couldn't kill things fast enough before it went down, not even against Black Kyurem, which it seems most people one-shot with Lucario.

I take back my claim about Serperior. He just saved my life in a battle with my friend's annoying Blissey who kept using Toxic/Softboiled/Heal Pulse/Defense Curl and Leftovers with like 700 HP. I had him set up with Leech Seed/Giga Drain/Calm Mind/Dragon Tail.

The only pokémon that really disappointed me was Unown, the third movie made me think he was some kind of Arceus-like legendary.

Today, I learned Flabebe is horrible. It never did enough damage to do anything, and it was falling behind, only earning XP through the Exp. Share. Eventually, I boxed it.

Purloin as previously mentioned by everyone.
Blitzle- I used it up until I could get Galvantula in Black version
Serperior. I still like it, but benched it befor the Elite four in Black 2.
Umbreon. It's still my favorite Pokemon, but I had no space for it in the Hoenn-sized ocean of power houses that inhabit Kalos.

Conkeldurr: It started to suck at lvl 76 or something. It was so slow and had bad defenses so it could not take a hit without getting KOed or taking serious damage.
Emboar: Same as Conkeldurr.
Keldeo: It is still good and useful but its moveset is one epic fail.

Heliolisk was a bit of a let down. Not only was Helioptile incredibly frustrating to train, but even once evolved it just didn't hit as hard as I expected it to in spite of its good coverage. If it couldn't one shot an opponent, chances are it would get one-shotted in return.

Not having any good special Normal moves made the Normal typing more of a hindrance than a help as well.

I was pretty dissapointed with zebstrika maybe it was just because i got a nature that butchered it's already pitiful defense and it just got steamrolled out there i didnt like it lol

Pidgeot - The moves that it gets just aren't that great, and she's outclassed by a lot of other flying types.

Serperior - Base attack was ridiculously low; I boxed this starter as soon as I could.

Pangoro - Dark types just don't seem to be getting much love anymore, and having the Fighting/Dark typing is practically a death sentence as of lately.

Gourgeist - Not really disappointing completely, though I was hoping it would get Stockpile via breeding, alas, it did not.

Zebstrika in BW...I ditched him as a Flash Slave and used a Bisharp instead.
Pangoro in BW...I didn't like him anymore, so I used Korrina's Lucario instead.

Honchkrow - This thing was good for putting out damage, but it was terrible for taking damage.
Clefable - In Platinum, I thought I'd go for a change and use this thing, but it seemed like it didn't do the damage I expected it too.
Golduck - Golduck... Golduck just sucks.
Ralts -> Kirlia - I thought Ralts was a good Pokemon back in the RSE days, but XY just seemed to emphasize how frail it was. It was weak and was often killed off first, and outdone by my Espurr a lot, so I just boxed it.
Meowstic - This one's a bit of a stretch, it was pretty helpful, but looking at its moveset (and its design sort of) it's really just a weaker Espeon.

Gengar/Mega Gengar. Great for attacking, but can't take a hit. IV bred too. Been having bad luck with it in Battle Maison. It seems like all the opponent's Pokemon have Sucker Punch to OHKO it and they ALL gang up on Mega Gengar to take it out first :B

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom