• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon that would have gimmicks if they were made today

Nicolas721

Reaction score
Nowadays, we see a more symbiotic relationship within the Pokemon and its moves and abilities, for example, 27 Pokemon debuting in SWSH have signature moves and 9 can change forms. What Pokémon do you think could get special abilities, moves or form changes if they were remade today? I've thought of two:
-Qwilfish would have "Puffed up" and a "Puffed down" forms. It would start the battle Puffed up and after receving some damage, its enemy would become Poisoned and it would change to Puffed down form, which would have lower defensive stats.
-Shuckle would get a move (let's call it Berry Juice) that would transform the Berry is holding into an attack that would cause Paralysis, Confusion, Sleep, etc. based on the Berry Flavor.

Love this thread idea.

Obvious one is that the two Nidoran wouldn't be separate species.

Part of me wants to say that Slowpoke would require a Shellder to be in your party during level-up in order to evolve into Slowbro, much like Mantyke and Remoraid, but the particulars of the situations are a bit different. Mantyke was introduced right as they took the Remoraid out of Mantine's sprites, turning their relationship into a mechanical one rather than a purely visual one. But with Slowbro, the Shellder actually becomes latched onto it, as opposed to swimming alongside it - and in order to represent that, you'd need to have it be more like Kyurem or Necrozma's fusions. But... maybe there's no reason it couldn't be? The Pokédex, after all, claims that Slowbro can revert back to Slowpoke if the Shellder is removed. So maybe Slowbro and Slowking wouldn't even be conceived of as evolutions if they were made today.

Arbok might have actual, deliberate pattern variants on its chest.

I could imagine Snorlax being a bit more complex. Like, having a "slumbering form" that has an ability like Dowsing and maybe higher defenses, but under certain conditions, it switches to a "grumpy form" where its attack stat goes up, but its defenses go down and it becomes susceptible to status conditions.

Ooh, this is fun!

I think the Spearow line would get some sort of special move or ability to distinguish it from the other Normal/Flying birds, but I don't really have any ideas there.

I could see the Paras line getting a form or ability referencing the parasitic mushroom- maybe even a branching evo if you cleared the mushrooms off.

Not so much a specific species,, but I could see the multimons (Magneton, Dugtrio, Dotrio) getting abilities that let them attack multiple times, at the cost of the attacks being a third of their power. (This would give them better chances at triggering extra effects)

Psyduck line would get the Steelworker equivalent for Psychic-type moves

Porygon would have the Shield form from the anime as well as a Sword Spear Form, which would be activated by Conversion and other factors. Porygon2 wouldn't exist, but Porygon-Z would be an independent species that acts as its corrupted and evil version.

Part of me wants to say that Slowpoke would require a Shellder to be in your party during level-up in order to evolve into Slowbro, much like Mantyke and Remoraid, but the particulars of the situations are a bit different. Mantyke was introduced right as they took the Remoraid out of Mantine's sprites, turning their relationship into a mechanical one rather than a purely visual one. But with Slowbro, the Shellder actually becomes latched onto it, as opposed to swimming alongside it - and in order to represent that, you'd need to have it be more like Kyurem or Necrozma's fusions. But... maybe there's no reason it couldn't be? The Pokédex, after all, claims that Slowbro can revert back to Slowpoke if the Shellder is removed. So maybe Slowbro and Slowking wouldn't even be conceived of as evolutions if they were made today.

I guess there could be two solutions so the player doesn't have to sacrifice a Shellder:
1. Slowpoke has to defeat a wild one in order to evolve.
2. Slowbro and Slowking would be undoable form changes, but Slowpoke would still need a reason to be usable.

Magicarp or Basculine getting a Dragon form change when low on hp similar to Wishiwashi.

Victini getting a fire/fairy form after using V-create.

Shuppet line getting Disquise.

Avalug would get Ice Face

Giraffarig would get a reverse form with that head and low hp could see a normal/psychic turning after 50% hp into a dark/ghost pokemon now. Still could get that ability in a other region without regional form or mega.

Togekiss getting a flying/dark form when using a move.

Politoead would be water/fairy and get Dancer

Pallosand line would get in sandstorm probably Sand Face as counterpart to Ice Face Eisque

Gen 4 and 5 pokemon would get something for sure, taking steel spirit and steel worker
Some would get form changes taking use of moves...

Truant and Uknown would get own Schooling forms

Musharna would get a Dream form when sleeping and probably a type change

Throh or Sawk would get Emergency Exit ability

Leavanny would get Disquise as a bug/grass type

Krokodile would get sandpit ability

Darmanitans zen mode would activate also when using a psychic type move and we would get a priority psychic type move

Maractus would get a grass/water , grass/fire, grass/electric, grass/rock, grass/fairy, grass/psychic type forms depending on weather and terrains

Cofagrigus would have a open Coffin form ability and type change when low on hp, probably ghost/steel turning into ghost/fighting or ghost/dark

Sigilyph would get wandering spirit or a spirit form and change to flying/ghost when below hp

Reuniclus would get maybe a Virus form when below 50% and type change to psychic/poison

Vanilluxe , ice face or ice scales

Sawsbuck would type change by weather and terrain changing its normal typing, by atumn would loose grass typing

Klingklang would get some kind of steel substitute ability

Beheeyem would summon gravity or get a substitute protective ability when activated

Heatmor would get a draning fire tongue move

Muk with Water Proof

Probably Nidoqueen and Vespiqueen with Quenly majesty

Parasect would get shiny mushroom and Dazeling or a Disquise like form that would change its typing maybe to bug/fairy or bug/ghost after 50% hp

I can see Magnemite evolve into a dual Pokémon, a Blue one and Red one based on the Switch controllers or either Minus and Plusle gaining more of their unique colour on their bodies while getting Helping Hand to be Switching Hands.

I figure Girafarig would have an ability that would reflect its two-headedness, such as Parental Bond with a different name. Alternatively, it could have had a form-changingability where it changes which head is facing forward.

I figure Girafarig would have an ability that would reflect its two-headedness, such as Parental Bond with a different name. Alternatively, it could have had a form-changingability where it changes which head is facing forward.
This would have worked so well if we got beta Girafarig instead of the final one.

-Jigglypuff could get a copy of Bad Dreams, inspired by the drawings she does in the anime.
-Ninetales could get a ghost form after it receives a supereffective attack.
-Victreebel gets a signature move that traps the opponent and badly poisons it.
-Exegguttor would have a move consisting of launching a head and boosts its speed.
-Togepi's family would have more egg-based moves and would make eggs hatch faster.
-Corsola heals allies if they are water types because they feed of its coral.
-Delibird would look more Christmas-y and would be more powerful in Hail, its bag would become an sleigh.
-Nosepass and Probopass can't miss an attack unless someone uses an Electric-type move.
-Mawile could decide which how its faces to show, maybe one every other turn like Hunger Switch.
-Absol boosts everyone's secondary effects and critical hit rates so the battle is a real catastrophe.
-Jirachi has its attack and Special attack boosted if it's holding a mail (or a new item created for it called Celebration Note or something).
-Kricketune gets a copy of Instruct.
-Spiritomb has its real form revealed in Fog. Fog would be a Ghost-themed climate in general.
-I feel Stunfisk could be modified to reflect its trap inspiration, something like this: After being hit by a contact attack, it paralyzes the opponent but it lowers Stunfisk's defenses.

dont know but one

fighting type would get substitute like ability (similar to that of eiscue) and work like Counter but without getting damaged
once in battle , Throh

one psychic pokemon would get the oposite with Magic Coat effect, probably Mega Sabley or Diance

a steel or ice pokemon with mirror ability to deflect moves (status and damage dealing ones ) that use eye, glare , beam, light in their names...

Dodrio would get a The Tripple Head ability, that would make it hp be separated in 3 substitutes, each substitute per 20hp(33,3%) or , per 25, making it have 75hp together... making that you would need multistrike moves , sound move , all targetting moves, seismic toss and sky drop (direct body contact) to take it out in one hit..... it could use its heads to take Double Hit, loose two heads and still battle

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom