• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon That You Think Could Be Related?

Infinity Storm

Summoner of Lightning
Reaction score
The title says it all: what Pokemon do you think could easily be related to each other. Obviously this excludes already-canon relations (like Abra - Kadabra - Alakazam), but I'd love to hear what everyone else has to say on the matter. Just tell which Pokemon, and try to explain why you think they could be related (biologically/symbiotically/ect).

To start this off, I think that Mega Beedrill really looks like it could easily be a male counterpart to Vespiqueen. While it's hard to put into exact words, the two follow a similar design style. Plus there's the obvious statement that they're both based off of the same root concept, though the exact specimen differs. What do you guys think?

Luvdisc + Alomomola
Dedenne + Raichu
Venonat + Butterfree

/thread

Carracosta and Blastoise: Both are based of sea turtles, focus on durability and with Carracosta's ancient nature I can see Blastoise being its modern day counterpart.

Pidgey and Pidove: They're more similar to each other than other early birds. Both being based on pigeons helps.

Pikachu and its many clones and Marill: The clones are obvious but I for some reason always saw Marill as a water Pikachu. Probably from hearing Pikablu rumors when I was little.

Tyrantrum and Tyranitar: Similar names, basis, strong bite, rock types, dragon like traits and short tempers. Like Blastoise and Carracosta Tyranitar could be a modern day equivalent to Tyrantrum.

Well, anything in the same egg group must be closely related since they can interbreed.

Well, anything in the same egg group must be closely related since they can interbreed.

I'd say that Egg Groups would constitute some relation but not necessarily close relations, since this would just mean that Egg Groups would effectively denote species, under the definition of a species as a group of interbreeding organisms. But to be honest, this is still a really interesting thought because that would mean that with 719+ Pokemon, there's only 14 actual different species amongst them (15 if counting Undiscovered).

*insert obligatory Skitty on Wailord action joke*

I've always thought that Glameow and Purrloin look a lot alike, as though they could be light and dark counterparts or something.

Stating the obvious ones before anyone else does just to get them out of the way:
Shellder + Slowbro/Slowking
Remoraid + Mantyke/Mantine

Exeggcute + Chansey/Blissey
Glalie + Cryogonal
Tauros + Miltank + Bouffalant
Mime Jr./Mr. Mime + Smoochum/Jynx ??
Pinsir/Heracross
Ralts line + Goth line
Beldum line + Magnemite line
Shuppet + Misdreavus
Castform + Rotom (form and type changers)
Unown + Sigilyph ??

Gogoat and Cobalion.
Stantler and Sawsbuck.
Aggron and Bastiodon.
Sharpedo and Garchomp.
Heatran and Volcanion.
Toxicroak and Greninja.

Emboar and Infernape

Both are based off of some characters of The Monkey King

Here are some of mine:

• The Cubone line and Kangaskhan. While I don't think that Cubone are nescessarily baby Kangaskhan that got orphaned, I do think that they shared the same ancestor with the difference being that one line changed from the orphaned example of said common ancestor.
  • I'd like to think of Lapras as the modern-day equivalent of Carracosta.
  • The Pikaclones, Pikachu, and Marril seem to have an obvious relation, so I'd like some sort of fossil or legendary Pokemon to tie them together one day.
  • The obvious Luvdisc + Almomola connection, as well as the Tauros-Miltank-Bouffalant link, definitely deserve a mention.
  • I also use to think that some sort of rare evolutionary-mutation thing happens with special Togetic, causing them to transform into Latios (from male Togetic)/Latias (from female Togetic) instead of Togekiss, kind of like the link between Carbink and Diancie. Of course, the whole Fairy-type put a damper on this, but it doesn't necessarily rule it out entirely.

That's all, folks!

Butterfree and Venonat (also Caterpie, Metapod, and Venomoth are pretty similar)

Clefable and Wigglytuff - for some reason I used to always get these two confused. both are pink with pointy ears. They look like they could be related, plus they both evolve with a moonstone.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom