• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon that you were told existed but didn't

Shinx3000

Reaction score
This might have came up before, but in pokemon games were you told that pokemon existed, but they never did? Few I recall are:

Mewthree
Pikablu

A pokemon that appeared if you took all three Kanto legendary birds and used a special "rainbow" stone on them, they evolved into a "rainbow" pokemon. Guess that ended up being Ho-oh, but it was a seperate pokemon, not the hybrid I was told about.

Houndevil - I think this one might have actually going to be true but it was scrapped, the final evolution of Houndoor after Houndoom.

So does anyone else know any pokemon like this they were told about?

Pikagreen
Pikared
There where some supposed Venusaur, Charizard and Blastoise evolutions
Mewthree
Does Missigno. count?

To be fair though, Pikablu does exist, just under the name "Marill."

Does Missigno. count?

Missingno. does exist, but is no pokémon. Look carefully ay my sentence for a secret message. Too hard? Only read the bolded words. Now I'll just wait untill a "certain person" comes by for a nice discussion.

Hmmm. Let's see:
Yoshi - Take a Dragonite into Cerulean Cave, and evolve it with a water stone.
Mew - Under the truck.
Nidogod - You could find it in a secret town. And it was a god.
Zapdos in armor - Supposed to be what Missing No. really was.
Togepi - in Bill's secret garden.
Pikablue - in Bill's secret garden.

I think there was also supposed to be a Mr.Mime evolution and Splash did damage once in a million times and just general stuff. Red and Blue were great for rumors.

(had to convince a friend of mine Mewthree doesn't exist)

Sorta... I was told you could catch seven of each legendary bird in GSC.

Missingno. does exist, but is no pokémon. Look carefully ay my sentence for a secret message. Too hard? Only read the bolded words. Now I'll just wait untill a "certain person" comes by for a nice discussion.

Some would disagree. There are those who would say that if you can catch it without a GameShark or Action Replay, it's a Pokémon.

Me...I try to stay neutral on the matter.

On-topic. I was once told that "Houou" (Ho-Oh) could be captured in Blue Version (and possibly Red as well). The guy made up this elaborate scheme to get it, and I thought it was the honest-to-Arceus (who didn't exist at the time) truth until someone pointed out a link that explained the trick as an April Fools' joke.

I was so embarrassed...

I was also told once that Professor Oak could be captured and trained as a Pokémon in Generation I.

And then, of course, there's the infamous Venustoise...

Some would disagree. There are those who would say that if you can catch it without a GameShark or Action Replay, it's a Pokémon.

Me...I try to stay neutral on the matter.

On-topic. I was once told that "Houou" (Ho-Oh) could be captured in Blue Version (and possibly Red as well). The guy made up this elaborate scheme to get it, and I thought it was the honest-to-Arceus (who didn't exist at the time) truth until someone pointed out a link that explained the trick as an April Fools' joke.

I was so embarrassed...

I was also told once that Professor Oak could be captured and trained as a Pokémon in Generation I.

And then, of course, there's the infamous Venustoise...

May I redirect you to something relating to that called "This page?"

Oh, and for myself, I've never really believed in stuff like that, but I did think that some Pokemon that actually did exist didn't, say, Tyrouge.

My brother told me that you encountered Mewthree (not sure about the name, was something with Mew. Was it Mewman?), which is an evolved form from Steelix, at level 40, after encountering 1000 Pokémon in GSC's Victory Road. I never really believed it. He made it all up himself, of coarse.

I've only recently heard of Pikablu and never heard of Venustoise.

I am sure I've heard of this Grass-Flying legendary bird with a long name I can't remember... I thought it was just me but I found more people did as well. Strangelly (or maybe not) it was right before Crystal was released... Probably it was just some confusion with Celebi.

I was told if you named your Charmander Mew that it would evolve into it instead of a Charmeleon, being a naive little kid I tried over and over again.

Last edited:
I remember that there was supposed to be some special Nido Pokemon if you bred Nidoqueen and Nidoking in GSC. It was supposed to be the most powerful pokemon ever.

Mewthree was also something that got thrown around a lot.

And even recently, I remember that there was supposed to be an unlockable Sandstorm forme for Castform in RSE. I'm not sure if this would count though.

Mewthree and Pikablu. Oh and slightly deviating, I was told you could get Togepi in red, but you couldn't and i spent ages trying to get one.

I was told if you named your Charmander Mew that it would evolve into it instead of a Charmeleon, being a naive little kid I tried over and over again.

ah, I heard that one. I didn't believe it though, since another friend told me it was false.

I was told by a friend tht in the remakes of GS (This was in 2006) That you'd be able to make every Pokeyman evolve.

Naturally, I was like this: "EVEN ENTEI??????"

He nodded. How stupid I was to believe that.

I was told by a friend tht in the remakes of GS (This was in 2006) That you'd be able to make every Pokeyman evolve.

Naturally, I was like this: "EVEN ENTEI??????"

He nodded. How stupid I was to believe that.

well, good luck GF on that, because every evolution that appeared would also have to evolve... wow, that'd be a nightmare.

I was told there was a water Pokémon named "Manutaku" or something, and guess how you got it? You did the Missingno. cheat.
I didn't know it was Missingno., but thats how I discovered him.

I remember once being told that you'd get the "Bellflower" pokemon if you bred a vileplume and a bellossom in GSC, it was supposed to have the petals of vileplume with a flower on each side of its head like belossom and the "leaf skirt" it as too.

Aaaahhh... All these rumored Pokemon sure do bring me back. There were so many crazy rumor-tricks to get so many things that didn't exist in those days when I was still running around in the playground. <3 I even got to that truck... Then felt ripped off when nothing happened. XD

- Tyros

the only one i really remember was "Pikablu" which I was told was available even in generation I. After awhile the story changed to it would be a generation II pokemon, this is when the maril picture started to be used. Well even after Generation II came out i still believed that "maril" was part of a pikachu evolution line. Obviously the theory was eventually completely wrong

that was the only fake pokemon i really remember and it wasn't even completely fake

Please note: The thread is from 15 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom