• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon that you wish had different evolutions

Cerberuswaltz

Reaction score
I don't know if this has been done before but I was talking with my brother and realized there are quite a few Pokemon I like that I would use if they never, ever evolved. Does anyone else share this?

I like Trubbish and think (despite many opinions) that he's ultra cute. However, he evolves and I think "Oh, my God what happened to you?"
The same goes with Swirlix. When leaks of Gen VI came out I was so excited and wanted to use him. Why not? He's a cute little ball of cotton candy
that is just dandy. He was part of my original team, especially being a new type.... until I saw Slurpuff. I don't know why but he's just ugly to me? I wish, in fact, that he never had that hideous evolution. The shiny is a little cuter when it looks like flan but otherwise... meh. I feel this about Cincinno too since I don't like the ultra fur mode. Even Arcanine is kinda ugly to me. So, anyone have any mid/later evolutions that you can't stand?

Or maybe you have an early evolution you don't like seeing?

Zigzagoon, Electabuzz, Makuhita, Magneton.

Electivire and Magnezone just look dumb and goofy like most Gen IV Pokemon. Linoone is really boring (and not cute :c) compared to Zigzagoon. And I just vastly prefer Makuhita over Hariyama - it has a much more interesting design.

Edit: Oh and Spritzee. Aromatisse has grown on me a fair bit, but it's still not what I wanted from Spritzee :/

Trubbish. It has a good design but Garbodor is just disgusting looking and makes me feel sick looking at it, does it have worms and toilet roll innards in it?! Ew!

Hmm, a lot of the ones I was going to say have already been said...

So another one's tangela, which I didn't really like anyway, but tangrowth is just an abomination. Seriously, it's hideous. They could have done at least a slightly better job than that.

Oh, and magmar, which I'm also not a huge fan of, but magmortar's just ugly like electivire. I notice Gen 4's copping it pretty badly here, but honestly, bad evolutions are one of its main features, admittedly among a lot of good things as well. But yeah, most the evolutions were just bad. I think the other ones I was going to mention have already been brought up.

To be honest, this may not go down so well, but I really don't like blastoise. It just seems sort of slightly over the top, a bit ugly, and also it seems kind of brutish and that, to me at least. Also, do not get me started on its mega evolution - seriously, do not. Hmm. I really like wartortle, though.

Since linoone was mentioned, I'd like to say I don't actually mind it at all. Maybe partly because mine in Alpha Sapphire was ludicrously powerful, and I suspect was a distant relative of Giratina, but I've definitely warmed to it. That being said, zigzagoon is just so much nicer. Zigzagoon's unquestionably my favourite normal type, for just being such a funny little creature. So naturally, this doesn't reflect too well on linoone.

In terms of earlier evolutions, I'm not a huge fan of baby pokemon in general, but I can appreciate them from a biological point of view - it doesn't make a whole lot of sense for some pokemon to hatch at their normal sizes. One thing to mention though is that I do get annoyed by the happiness evolution thing. I would personally prefer most baby pokemon to just evolve at very early levels, to better suit their role as a very early growing stage.

I'm not particularly keen on swablu. Altaria's so pretty and adorable, definitely one of my absolute favourites, but swablu doesn't seem to have any of its charm really to me. Maybe like with zigzagoon and linoone, it's just the contrast between one of my unquestionable favourites and something which doesn't quite live up to the same level, but anyway, swablu's kind of boring to me. Altaria's the best, though. We love you, altaria!

The same goes with Swirlix. When leaks of Gen VI came out I was so excited and wanted to use him. Why not? He's a cute little ball of cotton candy
that is just dandy. He was part of my original team, especially being a new type.... until I saw Slurpuff. I don't know why but he's just ugly to me? I wish, in fact, that he never had that hideous evolution.

This makes me so sad ;-;

Lanturn always felt a bit awkward coming from Chinchou. Chinchou is very clean and appears mobile on land, but Lanturn's weird, asymmetrical antennae and lack of legs seems like an odd jump. Also not a huge fan of Chesnaught. It's ok, but I wish it had kept the color scheme from Quilladin and/or been less fluffy. I still wish Tepig had remained on all fours when it evolved, and I especially wish it wasn't another Fighting type, but I've kind of made peace with Emboar.

While I love Electivire, I'm not too keen on Magmortar. Granted, I am indifferent to Magmar (he's okay), but they really could have done better than that. Same thing with Rhyperior. I don't remember who said it, but Rhyperior does look like a spitting image of George Washington!

Gen IV had some hit-and-miss stuff: along with Electivire, I also liked the designs of Yanmega, Togekiss, Gliscor, Gallade, and Mamoswine. Then you have the terribleness that is Magmortar, Rhyperior, Lickilicky, Tangrowth, Probopass, and Ambipom. They had a chance with these Pokemon, and blew it.

Gen IV had some hit-and-miss stuff: along with Electivire, I also liked the designs of Yanmega, Togekiss, Gliscor, Gallade, and Mamoswine. Then you have the terribleness that is Magmortar, Rhyperior, Lickilicky, Tangrowth, Probopass, and Ambipom. They had a chance with these Pokemon, and blew it.

There's a couple of Gen IV mons I really like, but on the whole I'd have to agree. I don't know how to explain it, but their style in Gen IV just seems (seemed)... way off their usual and it makes everything looks so goofy and cartoony. Magmortar is one I could have mentioned in my earlier post now that I think about it. Magmar is fairly cool. Same with Ambipom (gross) and Aipom (really cute) and Rhydon (cool) and Rhyperior (dumb). I will admit I love Togekiss though!

Controversial opinion coming up: I never really understood why so many people don't like Rhyperior. Other gen IV pokemon like Tangrowth and Magmortar, i see it. I don't agree but i see it. But i think Rhyrhy looks boss (and not really that much like George Washington - maybe a bit).

Controversial opinion coming up: I never really understood why so many people don't like Rhyperior. Other gen IV pokemon like Tangrowth and Magmortar, i see it. I don't agree but i see it. But i think Rhyrhy looks boss (and not really that much like George Washington - maybe a bit).

Same here, I don't really mind rhyperior, especially compared to the other Gen IV evolutions. I'm not generally a fan of most of them, to be honest, but rhyperior just looks tough to me. Okay, so to go through all of them:

Roserade - Quite a nice, pretty and stylish design, and my favourite of its line.
Ambipom - Looks a bit silly, and the tail-hands are overdone. Maybe if they were more like actual hands or paws, it'd be better. Not a fan.
Mismagius - Creepy and awesome, enough said.
Honchkrow - I don't entirely like what this did with murkrow's look, and the beard thing looks odd, but otherwise, I'm a fan.
Weavile - A really swish, sleek, sneaky, stylish design. Full approval.
Magnezone - Well, points for doing more than just adding more magnets, but they could still have done much better.
Lickilicky - A hideous evolution of an already-awful pokemon. To say I hate it is an understatement.
Rhyperior - A mighty, brutish beast, done well. Not the best representation of the rest of its line, though.
Tangrowth - No. Just no.
Electivire - Well, they tried. It's still really bad compared to electabuzz, but it shows some attempt.
Magmortar - I think the cannons were a good idea, just attached to an otherwise hideous creature.
Togekiss - At the end of the day, it's just a pillow. With wings.
Yanmega - Great design here and for once, an improvement on the original.
Leafeon - Very stylish and elegant. A good addition to the eevees.
Glaceon - Do we want a beautiful blue creature surpassing all other eevees before or since? Yes, please.
Gliscor - It ruins gligar's cuteness and doesn't compensate with anything else.
Mamoswine - How do you get this from piloswine? Good design, but I feel it should be a separate thing altogether.
Porygon-Z - Nice idea for an optional evolution, and it suits the computer virus idea well.
Gallade - Yes. That is all.
Probopass - Not much of a compass anymore, instead it looks like it's failing to look human. Or like a good design.
Dusknoir - Very nice and ominous, and a good advance on the line.
Froslass - Definitely a pretty one, and the saving grace of an otherwise ridiculous line. I'm worried for her future though, she might get a mega.

So overall, I don't find Gen IV that much of a disappointment. The problem I have is that a lot of them don't really look related or representative of the line they came from - even the good ones like froslass, dusknoir and mamoswine still don't always actually resemble their relatives very much. I used to think froslass was a standalone pokemon for quite a while. Still, I think a lot of the worse evolutions are to be found there, unfortunately.

Last edited:
Dragonair. I just hate that it evolves into a big orange dragon...doesn't make much sense to me. I don't mind Dragonite, though. I just wish Dragonair had an alternate evolution that was more consistent with its design.

Also Braixen. I don't really like Delphox's design that much.

that is just dandy. He was part of my original team, especially being a new type.... until I saw Slurpuff. I don't know why but he's just ugly to me? I wish, in fact, that he never had that hideous evolution.

This makes me so sad ;-;

Lanturn always felt a bit awkward coming from Chinchou. Chinchou is very clean and appears mobile on land, but Lanturn's weird, asymmetrical antennae and lack of legs seems like an odd jump. Also not a huge fan of Chesnaught. It's ok, but I wish it had kept the color scheme from Quilladin and/or been less fluffy. I still wish Tepig had remained on all fours when it evolved, and I especially wish it wasn't another Fighting type, but I've kind of made peace with Emboar.

Agh I'm so sorry! I just think Slurpuff looks super creepy and kinda off. >_>

I'm shocked at how many people don't like Gen IV mons, especially Tangrowth! I actually love the weird little thing!
I actually don't like Cubchoo now that I think of it. Beartic I use but until I evolve him it's frustrating to see this gross bear with snot dangling. Why??

Electivire and Magnezone just look dumb and goofy like most Gen IV Pokemon.
I used to hate Electivire, until I saw the shiny. Once I clapped eyes on the beauty that is shiny Electivire, I fell in love with it. Magnezone looks goofy but straight out of the X-Files goofy, so I can't help but like it.

Ambipom on the other hand.... WTF was Game Freak thinking?! :scared:

When I saw cute, adorable Chespin:

250px-650Chespin.png

Evolve into Quilladin:

250px-651Quilladin.png

My heart broke.

Kind of wished Onix had a different evolution. I don't mind Steelix, but I liked the rock-snake idea they had going which was essentially ruined when it lost the type. Also, aside from the type change, they look like they could be two variations of the same Pokemon. Onix was plain in itself, and Steelix didn't do anything to change that.

I definitely wish Dewott had a different evolution. Since it's debut, I've never liked Samurott's design.

Also kind of wish Togetic had a different evolution. Togekiss is super meh in my opinion and had to grow on me to get to that point. Only one of the Gen IV cross-evos that I dislike, to be honest.

Aromatisse and Slurpuff were also utter failures, in my opinion, though I don't necessarily think they look bad. Spritzee and Swirlix had interesting designs that could have turned out really cool, but nope. :\

When I saw the adorable Fletchling, I wanted to use it on my team. Then I saw Talonflame, and I was disgusted. Screw that thing. Why couldn't it have looked actually good? I think it's the eyes that really get to me.

Hoothoot comes to mind. Between the clock-like aspects, cute rounded shape and habit of standing on one leg, it has a really fun and quirky design that lets it stand out among the other early game birds. Noctowl is literally just a big owl. Boring.

I hate blaziken with a burning (heh.) passion for ruining my first gen 3 playthrough. It's just a shitty, ugly design. Is that long, rigid extension off his head supposed to be hair; a chicken with hair?! And why is it wearing bell-bottoms?! :(

I think I might've liked Ryperior more if it either had been separate from the Ryhorn family or resembled said family more. Its design- the build, the coloring, its method of attacking (rock-launcher palms?)- seemed so different from its preevos that it's kind of off-putting.

I was hoping that Fennekin would evolve into a quadruped fox of some kind. I still really don't like Braixen, but Delphox has actually really grown on me.

I don't really know what I was expecting out of Pidove, but maybe I wanted... I dunno, a larger pigeon-dove, not an ugly pheasant. Doves are not pheasants!

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom