• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon that you wish were special attackers rather thank physical (or vice versa)

Wumbo

Reaction score
Roggenrola, Boldore and Gigalith are a few of my favourite new Pokemon, but I was rather disappointed that they were unable to make good use of their special moves Power Gem and Flash Cannon (along with others that would be well suited to crystal formations such as Earth Power or Solarbeam) What annoyed me more was Ash's Roggenrola using Flash Cannon to great effect, which looked really cool!

My ideal solution is having their stats influenced much more by training eg. The more the pokemon uses physical or special moves, the more its attack or special attack increases, respectively. And the more a single move is used, the stronger and more accurate the move becomes.

So are there any other Pokemon that you wish were special attackers rather than physical, or at least had the potentail to be both? Another one I can think of is Absol.

Re: Pokemon that you wish were special attackers rather thank physical (or vice versa

Gyarados is probably one of the best examples of this. I`m not complaining about its awesome physical prowess, but any potential in its wide and varied special movepool is just wasted by that crap Special Attack stat. Oh well I suppose.

Re: Pokemon that you wish were special attackers rather thank physical (or vice versa

Sceptile should be physical, and Gorlurk should be a mix.

Sceptile isn't physical? Woops.

I'd like to see Dragonite as a Special Attacker, just for the Rain Dance + Hurricane + Thunder combo.

Unfezant. I like it's male design, but it really got shafted with it's moves. Swap it's Physical/Special attack, and it's at least usable.

Sceptile isn't physical? Woops.

I'd like to see Dragonite as a Special Attacker, just for the Rain Dance + Hurricane + Thunder combo.

Dragonite is a mixed attacker, just like Salamence.

Volcarona has a decent physical movepool, but its Attack stat is quite low. Also, it would be great if Bastiodon had a higher Sp. Attack stat.

I think Aggron can make do with mixed Attacking stats. Make the benefits of Aggron up for its cursed type combination. I also think that Torterra could be mixed too. Also, Unfezant should be a Special Attacker instead of an attacker like someone else had said, since Unfezant is better suited for using Air Slash, and doesn't have Brave Bird.

Volcarona has a decent physical movepool, but its Attack stat is quite low.

For some strange reason, Larvesta is a Physical attacker! Its Attack is higher than its Special Attack, and the Attack is good for a basic Pokemon too (Base 85).

Thanks for reading.

That's the whole point behind Larvesta/Volcarona, if you want a decent Volcarona you will have to train a Larvesta up to that level with a +SPA nature SPA Ev's, which is horribly painful for the little bug. It's the Magikarp of Gen V.

That's the whole point behind Larvesta/Volcarona, if you want a decent Volcarona you will have to train a Larvesta up to that level with a +SPA nature SPA Ev's, which is horribly painful for the little bug. It's the Magikarp of Gen V.
Except while Magikarp stays messed up for only 20 levels, Larvesta stays that way for 59 levels.

I sometimes wonder about Game Freak's logic.

Unova's just got a lot of late evolutions going on. I think for Larvesta, the idea is more effort = bigger pay off. Volcarona's a beast, in game it's treated almost as a Legendary. That's why they make it a pain to train up a good one, they want you to EARN your flaming sun bug. Also, there's a good chance that Game Freak are filled with a healthy dose of venomous, spiteful hatred.

Sceptile to be physical.

He's got such a wide physical movepool (Leaf Blade, Earthquake, Rock Slide, Dragon Claw, Night Slash, X-Scissor, Brick Break, Acrobatics...)

Sceptile should definitely be a physical attacker with his movepool.

In fact, as I mentioned, I had no idea he wasn't. It just makes so much sense, his signature move is physical for crying out loud!

^It was special before the Gen4 split.

Wailord seems to have a higher Atk. than Sp.Atk, which bugs me.

Poor Empoleon. He begged for a higher Attack stat, but GameFreak chose to give Empoleon a higher Sp. Attack stat.

Klinklang. Look at its movepool.
The low variety of move types is bad enough, but most of the damaging ones are Special attacks, when SP. ATK's its second lowest stat.

...Or would that make it too similar to Magnezone?

The Dratini/Dragonair/Dragonite line could make better use of that really good special movepool, but they've been given good enough physical moves, and at least they are viable for mixed sweepers.

Deino and Zweilous are also physical attackers while Hydreigon is a special. I think Pikachu family would profit from higher Attack stat since they got quite a movepool lately.

^ Name me one moveset that's good for Pikachu (even though it still needs Ice Punch before my approval).

Poor Empoleon. He begged for a higher Attack stat, but GameFreak chose to give Empoleon a higher Sp. Attack stat.

To be honest, it being special based isn't all a bad choice since Surf/Ice Beam/Grass Knot/Agility makes him beast.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom