• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

EVERYONE: Pokemon: The Celestial Stage

Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. She/Her
(rated E10+ for fantasy stage violence and frightening images)

This is set in a modern offshoot (meaning that the group is performing the types of plays we might perform and see in the real world) of my anime theaterverse, so it is its own story separate from the main theaterverse.

Episode 1: The Debut of the Sol Troupe

It is no secret that Paldea has a long and proud history onstage. So when Ash, Misty, Brock, Serena, May, Dawn, Liko, and Roy, alongside Juliana and Nemona, discovered an abandoned yet pristine theater in Mesagoza's west district, Nemona wondered why such a beautiful theater had been abandoned, and yet it was untouched by time.

Imagine the group's surprise when Ash's Meloetta Melody appeared to them, saying that the spirits of the stage kept the theater in its pristine state--and they were waiting for a new company to give the theater a name--and performances--once more.

Juliana suggested naming the theater the Celestial Theater, and almost immediately, light returned to the old theater--the lobby reopened to welcome theater fans of all ages, programs for an unspecified play were printed, an unseen crew was checking to be sure that all the lights, sound and effects were in order, an unseen orchestra was tuning in the pit--all that remained were some performers to put on a play.

Liko then brought up an important point--while ten actors was plenty for some plays, others would require a cast of hundreds, if not thousands--so where would they get those other actors?

Nemona assured Liko that she had an idea--and rallied the theater departments of both Naranja and Uva academies to come help form a company. The teachers loved Nemona's idea, and sent over some of their best students to help out.

Before long, the group had enough actors and crew from both academies--and some excited volunteers from Paldea and elsewhere--to form nine troupes. The group, some of their best friends, Nemona, and Juliana would be part of the Sol Troupe, with the other troupes being the Gaia Troupe, the Mars Troupe, the Venus Troupe, the Neptune Troupe, the Mercury Troupe, the Jupiter Troupe, the Saturn Troupe, and the Luna Troupe, in keeping with the "celestial" theme.

What wonders and surprises meet Ash and the gang, and their new friends in the Sol Troupe as they work to perform some of the best shows in the Pokeworld? Can they make their new theater one of the best in the Pokeworld?

Applause filled the Celestial Theater as Brock--now in a majestic purple, red, and gold minstrel's costume--arrived on the stage as the orchestra finished the overture for a play. "On one warm summer's morning in a far away land, a little tailor--we'll call him Tomlin--was sitting by the window, happily sewing as he always did." he began. "Though the pay he earned wasn't much, it was enough to get by from day to day."

He smiled at the excited audience. "It helped that Tomlin enjoyed his work." He let that hang as the lights came up on the set of a simple fantasy house, where Ash--now in a simple dull red commoner's costume--was pantomiming sewing a jacket.

"Fresh berries!" Juliana called from offstage. "Fresh berries, picked with love from the vine! Come buy! Come buy!"

Ash snapped to attention. "Cherida's here! Let's go see what berries and treats she's brought this week!"

After setting the prop jacket aside, he hurried offstage. He returned a few moments later with a few jars of jelly, marmalade, and other spreads. "Okay--Rawst jam and Oran marmalade go in the cupboard for tomorrow..." he mused as she placed some of the prop jars in a cupboard on the set.

A stomach growl got his attention. "I see no harm in getting into the Grepa jelly now..." he smiled as he got some bread from the cupboard.

He noticed the jacket as he spread some of the Grepa jelly on the bread. "But this jacket's just about done...I should finish it first, then have a snack."

He set the bread on a plate, then returned to his work. After a few moments of quiet, the sound effect of Venonats buzzing played, annoying Ash from his pretend work. "Hey! Who invited you?" he asked, swatting at the imagined Venonats while the audience laughed.

Finally, Ash got a glass from the cupboard, and clomped it down hard on the table. When he counted how many feigned Vanonats he had killed, his face lit up. "Wow! I managed to kill seven with one blow...the whole town will know of this!"

"Tomlin eagerly set to work making a suit of cloth armor, with a huge number 7 embroidered in red on the torso." Brock narrated as the lights went down, save for the ruffling and thumping of Ash pretending to work.

The orchestra played a 'ta-da!' stinger as the lights revealed the large red 7 on Ash's new nicer blue and white with gold trim costume. "Why stop at just the town? The whole world will hear of it!" he smiled, to some light applause.

The orchestra started an excited interlude. "Tomlin eagerly packed a few weeks' worth of supplies for his journey, and set out the next morning." Brock narrated at the lights went down...

----------

The next morning, Nemona smiled as she saw the newspaper's review of the play. "Okay! Reviews are in for our production of 'The Brave Little Tailor'..."

"What did the critics think of it?" Misty wondered as the group hurried in to hear Nemona's analysis of the reviews in the newspaper, on the radio, on TV, and online.

"The overall consensus is that while the show rises above its flaws, there's still room to improve." Nemona explained. "Ash, of course, stole the show as Tomlin."

"Aw, thanks..." Ash smiled, flattered that the Paldean press and reviews around the world generally liked his performance. "I was just doing what you said to do and tried to play the tailor as energetic, while trying not to come across as annoying."

"You can do annoying when the role requires it!" Misty interjected, a grin assuring Ash she was just kidding.

A swirl of green musical symbols and light got the group's attention before Ash could fire back a retort. "Melody?" he gasped as a tiny sprite Pokemon with music staff-like "hair" materialized in the room.

"What are you doing here?" May asked.

"I came to wish you all a job well done for last night." Melody replied. "While the reviews are a good start, I believe you can be the greatest troupe the world has ever known--the world's treasure. So I come with a challenge for you..."

She flew over to a laptop, which displayed popularity rankings for various theaters around the world and the plays they were currently performing. "If you can make your way to the top of the global stage rankings within one year, I will grant you all the title of Celestial Actors, and this theater will know the popularity it has always longed for for ages to come."

"Challenge accepted!" Ash replied as the others cheered in agreement.

"The way there may not be easy, but we can reach the number one spot!" Brock vowed before turning to the laptop. "So where are we now?"

Melody scrolled all the way to the 500s in the ranking, where the Sol Troupe was ranked #542. "There you are...not a terrible start, but you still have a way to go to reach the goal I have set for you. I will check in with you after the review for a play has been published, and again when a play's run ends. So for tonight, reflect on last night's performance, and think about how you all could do better. Then put that effort into tomorrow's performance. I will see you all again at the end of the week."

"Bye, Melody!" Ash smiled as Melody disappeared in a burst of ethereal music notes. "We'll all do our part to make our new company the best company ever to grace any stage!"

Last edited:
Really nice stuff so far! I wish I could say more about it, but the quality speaks for itself here :bulbaLove:

• Staff
Episode 2: Reflecting on the Debut

"Now then...what are some things we could do better for tomorrow's performance?" Misty asked as the group contemplated what Melody had said.

"Work on being enthusiastic without being annoying." Ash replied. "I'd like to think I'm on the right track about that, though."

"Okay...what else?" Misty asked.

"Can we just make the giants offstage voices?" Nemona suggested. "I talked to the puppeteers, and they say those puppets were troublesome to operate..."

"All right...ask the puppet crew to rework the giant puppets..." Misty mused. "For now, they can be offstage voices, but we could, in the future, have them be digital projections that the puppeteers can voice."

When no one else said anything, Misty addressed the group. "If no one else has any concerns or suggestions, let's get going with rehearsal for tomorrow!"

---------

The next night, the audience watched as the orchestra started a quiet interlude to signal Act 2 was beginning. "Tomlin went on his way, following where the wind led him." Brock narrated from his nook. "After he had walked for a long time, he came to the courtyard of a royal palace. As he was very tired, he lay down on the grass and fell asleep." He let that hang as the lights came up on Ash "sleeping" under a tree.

After a few tense moments, a crowd of extras and some of the group arrived in the scene. "Wow! Look at the size of that 7!" May gasped as she led the way on the stage.

"I wonder what that 7 means..." Serena agreed.

"Maybe it's the number of warriors he has defeated?" Roy asked.

"If this is in fact the case, then what is a great warrior doing here in a time of peace?" Misty asked.

"Maybe he must be a great lord of a far away land!" a male extra suggested. "We must inform Her Majesty!" The others cheered in agreement as the lights went down.

They came up on a majestic throne room set as Nemona--now in beautiful royal garb that evoked a Paldea of old--came out to meet the crowd, with Liko--now in a teal, blue, and gold costume-- not far behind. "Oh my...this must be a grave concern if so many of you have come..."

"We have seen the oddest thing, Your Grace..." the male extra explained as the throng bowed before Nemona. "There is a traveler dozing on the hill outside the royal city. The strange thing is, a large red 7 is emblazoned on his clothes."

"That is strange..." Nemona mused. "Do any of you have an idea as to what the large red 7 means?"

"We believe him to be a great hero who has slain seven evils." Serena suggested. "Perhaps he updates the number when he kills a new evil lord or monster, to warn away those that would do evil. So the large 7 is a warning--if you battle him, you may be slain opponent number 8." Nervous giggles went up in agreement.

"What the townsfolk have said is true, milady." Liko assured Nemona, conjuring an image of Ash "sleeping" for Nemona to see. "If war ever broke out, this would be a good person to have in the royal ranks."

Nemona nodded. "Very well, Aslin. Will you go to this hero and offer him service in the royal court?"

"Right away, Your Grace." Liko gave Nemona a little bow, then hurried off as the lights went down.

They came up again on the hill set. Liko arrived just as Ash woke up from his feigned nap. "Oh! Are you maybe one of the residents of the city?" he asked.

Liko nodded. "I am Lady Aslin of Beltany, envoy and chief advisor to Her Majesty Queen Leila of Beltany."

"A royal envoy?" Ash gasped as he scrambled to his feet. "What message does Her Majesty have for me?"

"The townsfolk are in awe that you managed to kill seven evils." Liko explained. "Whether you killed them all at once, or one by one, I don't know, but Her Majesty is well pleased with your bravery and valor. She wishes to offer you a place in the royal court, and an honored resident of the royal city."

Ash smiled. "That's why I came here. I would be more than honored to enter Her Majesty's service."

The orchestra started a majestic melody as Brock narrated "Tomlin was honorably received, and he was well loved and well liked by commoner and nobility alike. The other soldiers, however, were unsure that Tomlin was even worthy of being at court. They knew well if they argued with him, and it came to blows, seven of them would fall at every blow. So they came to the queen, and asked her to find a way for Tomlin to prove his courage and wits..."

The lights came up on Ash bowing before Nemona on the throne room set. "Tomlin...you have proven yourself a fine resident of the royal city, and many can vouch for your courage, your wit, and joyous heart." Nemona explained. "But there are some who don't believe in your skill. So I propose to you three challenges. If you can successfully complete them all, I will give you my only daughter, Princess Natalie, as a bride for you, and half the kingdom as a wedding gift."

"That would be a wonderful thing for someone like me!" Ash smiled. "It's not every day one is offered a beautiful princess and half a kingdom! Name your challenges, and I will do it, even if I have to go to the very ends of the world and slay a thousand Hydreigons!"

Even Nemona could help but smile at Ash's enthusiasm. "All right, here is the first challenge...in a certain forest live two giants, who cause great terror with their robbing, murdering, plundering, and burning. No one can approach them without putting themselves in danger. Should it happen that you need help, a hundred soldiers will go with you."

"I will soon subdue the giants, and do not require any help to do it." Ash grinned. "He who can hit seven in one blow, has no need to be afraid of two."

Excited chatter filled the theater as the orchestra started an adventurous theme. "And so, Tomlin went forth, and the hundred soldiers followed him." Brock narrated as the lights came up on Ruby and a crowd of a hundred extras in prop royal armor arriving on a forest set.

The audience watched as Ash told his entourage of extras "Wait here, I will soon finish off the giants."

He then bounded off into another part of the forest set, where he clambored into a tree, where he could see the imagined giants. It was probably for the best we had the giants be offstage voices... Misty thought as she watched Ash drop a rock from his perch from backstage. People on top of each other would look silly...

Some offstage dialogue alerted her the rock had hit its target. "Did you push me?"

"I did not!"

"Then who did?"

"I never touched you!"

"Oh, yes you did!"

"I did not!"

"Did too!"

"Did not!"

"Did too!"

The audience roared with laughter at the whirling cloud of dust on the stage near Ash's perch. "It is a lucky thing that they did not tear up the tree I was sitting in, or I would have had to jump onto another like a Pachirisu." Ash noted to the audience as the cloud of dust whirled about, complete with fighting noises. "But we tailors are nimble enough."

Once the dust had settled, he tiptoed up to the large sand bags standing in for the giants, made a few gashes on them with a prop sword, then returned to the waiting crowd of extras at the other end of the stage.

"Well?" one extra asked as Ash returned.

"Are the giants slain?" another one asked.

"The battle is over." Ash smiled. "I have given both of them their final blow, but it was hard work! They tore up trees to use as weapons, but all that is to no avail when someone like myself comes, who can kill seven in one blow."

"But are you not wounded?" a third extra asked.

"You need not worry about that. They have not harmed one hair of mine." Ash assured the extra.

"Will you allow us to see what you have claimed for ourselves?" another extra asked.

"Gladly. I have nothing to hide." Ash replied as the group of extras ventured to the dark part of the stage.

They returned a few moments later in shock. "By Arceus...what the tailor said was true!" one extra gasped. "He has more than passed the first challenge!"

The orchestra played a victorious theme as the lights went down, then came up on Ash and Nemona in the throne room again. "The soldiers confirmed that you have completed the first challenge--well done." Nemona smiled.

"What must I do now, Your Grace?" Ash asked.

"The second challenge is this--in the forest roams a wild Beast which does great harm, and you must catch him first." Nemona replied.

"I fear one Beast still less than two giants. Seven in one blow, is my kind of affair." Ash grinned over his character's triumphant trumpet motif.

"Tomlin took a rope and a bow with him, went into the forest, and bade those who were sent with him to wait outside." Brock narrated as Ash entered another forest set.

After a few tense moments, a majestic Raikou puppet "ran" on the stage. But Ash waited until the majestic Pokémon was close, shot an arrow with a rope around it into the tree, then leaped like a Sawbuck behind the tree. The Raikou puppet was easily tangled in the rope, and struggled mightily to get out, to the delight of the audience as the lights went down.

When the lights came up on the throne room again, Ash proudly gestured to the "stuck" puppet. "Here is the Beast--he will not harm again!"

"That is a clever way to catch a Raikou..." Nemona smiled. "Now for your third and final challenge--I want you to catch a certain wild Emboar that wreaks great havoc in the forest. Some of the royal rangers will give you their help."

"Willingly--that is child's play!" Ash smiled as the lights went down.

The orchestra played an interlude as Ash and a crowd of extras playing rangers arrived on a third forest set. "This is where the Emboar was last spotted?" Ash asked.

"It is." one extra replied. "If you need help, we stand ready to lend our bows to your aid."

"Okay--if I need you guys, I'll just whistle!" Ash smiled as the lights went down.

After a few tense moments, Ash arrived in a more woodsy forest set. He gasped when he saw an Emboar puppet charging at him, but then spotted the entrance of an abandoned shrine close by. "SAY..."

He hurried into the shrine, and went in and out the window. The Emboar puppet ran in after Ash, but Ash ran around outside and shut the door behind it, trapping the puppet inside.

Once satisfied with his handiwork, Ash whistled, spurring the ranger extras to arrive with their prop bows drawn. "Stand down--I caught the Emboar." Ash assured the rangers. He made a grand gesture to the trapped puppet as the orchestra started a victorious theme and the lights went down.

When they came up on the throne room again, Dawn--now in a beautiful pale lavender princess dress--was with Nemona and Ash in the scene. "You have passed the three challenges I gave you with aplomb." Nemona smiled. "My royal word is my bond--as promised, here is Princess Natalie. You will have half of the kingdom now, and the whole of it when I join Arceus in heaven."

"Aw"s went up in the theater as Ash and Dawn hugged. "Tomlin and Princess Natalie were married within the year." Brock concluded as the curtains closed on the heartwarming scene. "The wedding was held with great magnificence and equally great joy, and out of a tailor a king was made."

Wild applause rang through the theater as the orchestra started a joyous song for the curtain call...

Great work as usual :bulbaLove:, I assume you have an affinity for theater and the like? How'd this likeness form? (I wouldn't say I'm a theater person myself, but I still have a liking for the genre)

• Staff
@Catz

As the show has progressed, we've seen that Ash and the gang are actually quite capable performers and actors, both in universe and on various OSTs. The theaterverse is a what if exploration as to what would happen if Ash and the gang were pro actors in an ancient form of Wakunese (Poke-Japan, for the curious) theater that is basically Chinese opera, Japanese kabuki, a dash of the Takarazuka Revue (and shows inspired by it, such as Revue Starlight, Kageki Shoujo!!, and the new World Dai Stars), and martial arts movies, TV shows, and novels ran through a blender.

In addition to that, many European countries also have grand theater traditions (so it makes sense the Europan tours start in Paldea)--and it's just great fun seeing the Pokemon cast as actors!

Last edited:
  • Staff
@Catz

Episode 3: The Faithful Fair Warrior

Nemona balked in surprise at Juliana's request. "What? You want me to play the Faithful Fair One?"

Juliana nodded. "I know it's not something you typically play, but Señora Dorada believes you can give her a quiet strength and sell her authority."

"Besides, it'd be a little something out of your comfort zone!" Ash agreed as he joined Juliana and a woman with short brownish red hair in the room.

"Yes, and it's good to try out different kinds of roles." Señora Dorada agreed. "It's been a struggle to cast the Faithful Fair One, so will you try to play her?"

Nemona thought for a moment. "Okay...I'll try playing the Faithful Fair One."

Cheers filled the room at this. "Besides, if you don't enjoy the role, you don't have to play any other roles like it!" Ash assured Nemona as he led the way into a changing area to get ready for acting practice...

---------

"Now, at the court was a young man who was well loved and well liked by nobility and commoner alike." the narrator explained, gesturing to Brock--how in a majestic green suit and black leggings in a spotlight near stage left. "His charms and his ready wit earned him his name of Avenant. Everybody liked him, except those who were jealous that the king showed him his favor and made him his daily confidant."

With that, the lights came up on the throne room set again, spurring Brock to look around at all the activity. "Never have I seen so much hustle and bustle in the castle before--the ambassador His Majesty sent has probably returned..."

"...and without the Faithful Fair One, sad to say." a boy playing a lord sighed. "His Majesty wept all night after hearing the Faithful Fair One's refusal."

"Maybe, if the king had sent me to the Faithful Fair One, I am sure she would come back with me." Brock smiled as he started towards stage right.

Some other extras noticed Brock approaching. "Why does Your Majesty waste your time with that green rogue?" one asked the boy playing the king. "Do you not know he is a rascal?"

"Leave me alone. I want to listen." the boy playing the king replied, shooing away the actors playing naysayers.

He next addressed Brock, who had bowed on one knee before the beautiful prop throne. "Avenant, is what you say about bringing back the Faithful Fair One true?"

"It is true, Your Majesty, that I would have made her realize your good qualities." Brock replied. "I'm sure she would not refuse her consent. In saying what I said, I did not intend to displease you."

The boy playing the king smiled. "Your words prove to me that you are a man of your word. Rise--I wish to personally invite you to the royal table this evening."

"I would be honored to join you for dinner, milord." Brock replied as the lights went down.

After a moment or two, the lights came up on an elegant royal dining room set, where the boy playing the king and Brock were enjoying various prop food. "Avenant, I am still in love with the Faithful Fair One, but I don't know what to do to gain her consent." the boy playing the king explained. "I would like to send you to her court."

Brock signaled to an extra playing a servant he was ready for the dessert course, then told the boy "I stand ready to do whatever you ask of me, milord. "If you so choose, I can depart as soon as tomorrow."

"Aw"s filled the theater as Brock and the boy playing the king embraced. "A toast!" the boy playing the king announced. "To Avenant's successful journey!"

"To Avenant's successful journey!" the extras playing guests chorused, to cheers as glasses clinked together and the lights went down over a festive interlude.

"True to his word, Avenant departed early the next morning." the narrator explained. "He thought long and hard about how he could persuade the Faithful Fair One to marry the king. But try as he might, no good ideas came to him."

The lights came up on a sunny grove set, where Brock emerged deep in thought. After pacing the set for a few moments, an inspired look formed on his face. "I'd better write this down, lest I forget it later." he smiled as he settled under a tree and took out an elegant prop notebook and a pen.

After quickly writing something, he put the notebook and the pen away, then stretched out to relax under the tree.

Misty's sniffles and soft cries in the distance snapped Brock to attention. When he crossed the stage to see what the crying was, the lights revealed Misty--now in costume as a Sobble--feigning crying by the riverbank. "Oh...a Sobble." Brock mused. "I don't know why you cry, little one, but may I at least put you back in the water?"

Misty nodded yes through her feigned tears, then laid down, allowing Brock to carefully pick her up and set her down in the pool standing in for the stream. "There." Brock smiled. "I'm sure your friends and family are worried about you."

"Avenant, thank you for your kindness." Misty smiled, her feigned tears shining with happiness. "Because you have done so much for me, one day I'll do something good for you in return."

With that, she plunged into the water, making some in the audience laugh at Brock's shocked face.

---------

"A Sobble spoke to me in the words of men..." Brock mused as he arrived on a hilly set. "Then again, the court wizard always said that Pokemon speak to those who are brave, true, and unselfish."

The orchestra started an exciting melody, spurring Brock to watch as a spotlight appeared on Juliana--now in costume as a Fletchling--climbing through some rock and leaping across the hills to evade a Braviary puppet. Try as she might to fire her own shots at the huge puppet, her arrows went wide left or wide right.

"That poor Fletchling will be the Braviary's dinner if I don't do something, and fast!" Brock mused before finding his own bow--a beautiful green bow with laurel leaf inlaywork and emeralds embedded inside.

The audience held their breaths as Brock fired...hitting the Braviary in a target where its heart would be.

Juliana put away her own bow and climbed down to the stage to meet Brock. "Avenant, thank you for coming to the aid of a humble Fletchling like me." she explained. "But I am not ungrateful. Just as you saved my life, one day I'll save yours."

"My pleasure." Brock replied as he embraced Juliana. "Fly safe!" he called as Juliana "flew" offstage.

---------

The lights next came up on a sunny forest set. "It's so peaceful out here..." Brock mused as he walked across the set.

He balked when he found Dawn--now in costume as a Riolu--struggling to get free from a rope trap attached to a tree. "That poor Riolu...it doesn't deserve to be a tamer's pet."

He approached Dawn with a prop knife. "Peace--I only want to get you out." he explained as Dawn reared back in feigned alarm. "Hold still, and I'll have you out of those ropes shortly."

With that, he went to work carefully cutting Dawn free. "Avenant, thank you for releasing me." Dawn smiled as she stepped out of the ropes and tossed them away. "I have a grateful heart, and I will do something good for you one day."

With that, the orchestra started an interlude as Dawn dashed offstage, Brock waving goodbye as the lights went down...

"Wow"s and awed chatter filled the theater as the lights came up on a majestic castle gate set. Brock arrived soon afterward, now wearing a fine emerald and silver outfit, with white feathers in the matching hat. Ash--now wearing a glittering gold ninja outfit with mum trim, Pikachu ears on the hood, a cheek facemask, and the male Pikachu's iconic thunderbolt tail--was not far behind Brock.

"Hail, traveler--what business do you have here?" a guard extra asked.

"I am Sir Avenant of Celesia, here to see the lady Aurelia, the Faithful Fair One." Brock replied.

"Very well, we will inform Her Ladyship you wish to see her." At this, the guard extra triggered the castle gate to open.

Over in a majestic bedroom set at stage left, the other guard addressed Nemona--now in a beautiful gold and orange royal gown. "Milady, Sir Avenant of Celesia is here to see you."

Nemona smiled at the name as the guard extra departed. "Avenant...that name has a pleasant sound. I'm sure he is handsome, and that everybody likes him."

She looked over at a group of extras with instruments. "Play softly, so our guest feels welcome."

"Yes milady." one of the extras replied.

The musician extras started a soft melody with the orchestra as the lights went down...

---------

"Avenant was led to the audience chamber, where he stood so dazzled with admiration that he could not speak." the narrator went on over the music as the lights came up on Brock bowing before Nemona on a beautiful throne room set.

This small seed of love is in bloom... Brock sang over the music.
And it reaches out towards the stars...
From a little spark from deep within the heart
Someone's love has brought me here.

I will not back down, I will not give up
I will lead you home--come and take my hand!
I will fight for you, I would die for you,
As we travel to the promised land.

My master longs for you!
He would welcome you as his own
And once again, the bonds of the stars
They will bring a miracle!

Applause filled the air as the orchestra played a majestic swell. "Wow...no matter how many times Brock sings, it never gets old." Dawn raved from backstage.

Nemona just smiled as the song ended. "Gentle Avenant, all the reasons you have given me are excellent, and I assure you that I would do more for you than for any other. But now I have a vexing problem on my hands..."

"What sort of problem?" Brock asked.

"A month ago I was in a boat on the river with all my ladies." Nemona explained. "As they were serving me lunch, I lost a ring in the river. It was more precious to me than my kingdom. I vowed never to listen to any proposal of marriage until the one who brings it finds my ring."

Giggles went up at Brock's shocked expression. "Okay...but will you at least accept this golden Pikachu as a token of good will?" He gestured to Ash, who waved hello.

"I appreciate the thought, but I will have no gifts until my ring is found." Nemona replied. She let that hang as the lights went down...

---------

"Avenant returned to his own house, where he went to bed without dinner." the narrator went on. "His faithful Pikachu Orage did not eat anything either, and came and lay down beside him. All night Avenant thought about how to retrieve the ring."

The lights came up on Brock and Ash in a bedroom. "You could fish it out like a Magikarp..." Brock mused. "Or look to see if it caught on a rock..."

He collapsed on the bed. "How could I find a ring that fell into a river a month ago? It could be anywhere within the waters."

"My friend, I beg you not to be so hard on yourself." Ash assured Brock. "You are too good not to be happy. Let's go as soon as it is dawn to the riverside." He let that hang as the orchestra started a hopeful interlude...

• Staff
@Catz

Episode 4: The Hero and Kitsune

"Well! We've moved up the ranking a bit after my performance of The Faithful Fair One!" Nemona smiled as she checked the troupe rankings. "But I think you and Serena in the leads for our next play will take us even higher."

"That, and 'Kitsune in the Trap' being a lesser known story should help." Juliana agreed.

"My only qualm is the prop trap..." Serena interjected. "How are we going to make something that won't actually hurt to struggle in, and easy for Ash to let me out?"

"We'll think of something!" Juliana assured Serena as she and Nemona started towards the hall leading to the writer's room, and the prop team's nook. "We'll talk to the prop team right now, so we should have at least a prototype in time for today's rehearsal!"

---------

"...he had nothing to leave him but the three traps he had often used for hunting." Brock narrated over the orchestra's sad melody. "His last request for Brian was simple--go into the forest and set the traps. If he found a wild Pokemon caught in any of them, he was to set it free, and keep it as a companion."

He went on "Not long after this, the father joined Arceus in heaven. True to his father's final request, Brian took the traps, traveled to the forest, and set them in a place where his father often had good luck hunting. When he came to check them later that day, two of the traps were empty, but something amazing was in the third trap..."

With that, the curtains opened on the set of a forest, where Ash--in costume in typical fantasy boy's garb--came to inspect the two visible prop traps on the stage. "Nothing in this trap..." he mused after looking over the first prop trap. "Nothing in this one, either..." he mused after inspecting the second prop trap.

The orchestra played a majestic stinger as the lights revealed Serena--in a familiar red-orange robe, prop Delphox ears, and a prop Delphox tail peeking from the robe--"struggling" to get free from the third trap at stage left! "By Arceus...how did His divine envoy, Kitsune, get caught in my trap? A divine Delphox shouldn't be left to struggle like a common Fenniken!"

With that, he carefully released Serena from the prop trap. "A thousand pardons, milady--forgive me for trapping you like that."

"It's nothing!" Serena smiled back as she gingerly stood up. "In fact, Arceus sent me to help you find your way in the world, at your father's request."

"My father..." Ash mused as an aside. "Thank you, Lord Arceus, for sending Your divine envoy to assist me in my hour of need."

Juliana motioned for the orchestra to stop playing before addressing Ash and Serena on the stage. "Okay! My only request is for Ash to not be in full panic mode when he finds Serena in the trap. Of course you want to be surprised you found Kitsune, of all Pokemon, in your trap, but not utterly terrified."

"Surprised, but not terrified...right!" Ash smiled back. "Should we run through this scene again, or keep going?"

"Let's keep going--our goal is to get through as much of the play as we can for today." Juliana replied. "Once we finish the full run through of the play, we'll go back and run through scenes that are still giving people trouble. We have two more rehearsals like this, and then the dress rehearsals."

She motioned to the orchestra. "Brock, if you would start at Scene 2 of Act 1?"

Brock nodded as the orchestra started a prayerful melody. "And so, Brian led Kitsune homeward, where she became his closest companion. She helped him with the chores, provided him with food and money, and visited with him when the work was done for the day. But one night, Kitsune noticed Brian was in a glum mood..."

The lights came up on a bedroom of a fantasy house, where Ash was looking out a window at a starry sky set, a look of feigned sadness on his face. "Sir Brian?" Serena asked as she arrived on the stage. "Is everything okay? You haven't said a word all night!"

Ash sighed. "My parents have joined Arceus in heaven...I have no siblings..."

The orchestra started a hopeful interlude. "So even though I have you, I wonder...am I destined to be alone in the world?"

"Alone?" Serena gasped in feigned shock. “That’s no way for a young man to talk! You could get married, for one! Then you wouldn’t feel lonely!”

“Married?” Ash asked, a note of confusion in his voice. “How can I get married? I can’t marry a poor girl, because I'm poor myself...and a rich girl would laugh at me before she'd marry me.”

“How do you know this, if you don't try?” Serena asked with a smile. “You’re a fine young man, and you’re kind and gentle. What more could a princess ask for?”

Ash burst out in feigned laughter at this. "Me, marry a princess? That only works in minstrel's tales, and bedtime stories!"

“Just hear me out, okay?” Serena assured Ash. “Take our own Princess Mina, for example. What would you think of marrying her?”

Ash thought for a moment. “I have heard that she is the most beautiful princess in the world! Any hero would be happy to marry her!”

“Very well...” Serena smiled, “if you'll trust me, I will see to it that you are seen worthy of Princess Mina's hand in His Majesty's eyes.”

A weak feigned smile formed on Ash's face. "Okay...I trust you, Lady Kitsune."

Juliana smiled as Ash and Serena hugged on the stage, but motioned for the orchestra to stop again so she could give feedback on the scene. "Very good, both of you! I especially liked how you delivered the 'me, marry a princess?' line, Ash!"...

Last edited:
Man I'm a little late, but great stuff here as always, Topaz. I wish I had more to say about it, but I'm not the best at in depth commentary

@Catz

Episode 5: The Hero and Kitsune Debut Together

"Ready to go?" Serena asked as she met Ash--now in a dull red fantasy boy's costume with matching leggings--in the wings in her preferred Kitsune costume--a red-orange robe, costume Delphox ears, and a costume Delphox tail peeking out from the back of the robe.

"As I'll ever be." Ash smiled as he watched the audience slowly fill up as people took their seats, while also mentally reminding himself of Juliana's advice. "You do well playing Kitsune, so I'll do my best to play Brian--remembering what Juliana said to do, of course."

"You'll do fine." Serena assured Ash as she watched Juliana arrive onstage to welcome the audience and introduce the play. "Just remember what we all practiced, and Juliana's advice." She let that hang as the audience applauded Juliana's exit...

---------

The audience in the Celestial Theater watched and listened as Brock--now in a majestic green storyteller's outfit--appeared in a spotlight at stage right, just as the orchestra's triumphant overture tapered off into a sad melody. "There was once a young man named Brian who was alone in the world. His mother had died when he was very little, and his father clung to life for some years after this. As they were poor, he had nothing to leave him but the three traps he had often used for hunting." Brock narrated over the orchestra's sad melody. "His last request for Brian was simple--go into the forest and set the traps. If he found a wild Pokemon caught in any of them, he was to set it free, and keep it as a companion."

He went on "Not long after this, the father joined Arceus in heaven. True to his father's final request, Brian took the traps, traveled to the forest, and set them in a place where his father often had good luck hunting. When he came to check them later that day, two of the traps were empty, but something amazing was in the third trap..."

With that, the curtains opened on the set of a forest, where Ash--in costume in typical fantasy boy's garb--came to inspect the two visible prop traps on the stage. "Nothing in this trap..." he mused after looking over the first prop trap. "Nothing in this one, either..." he mused after inspecting the second prop trap.

The orchestra played a majestic stinger as the lights revealed Serena "struggling" to get free from the third trap at stage left! "By Arceus...how did His divine envoy, Kitsune, get caught in my trap? A divine Delphox shouldn't be left to struggle like a common Fenniken!"

With that, he carefully released Serena from the prop trap. "A thousand pardons, milady--forgive me for trapping you like that."

"It's nothing!" Serena smiled back as she gingerly stood up. "In fact, Arceus sent me to help you find your way in the world, at your father's request."

"My father..." Ash mused as an aside. "Thank you, Lord Arceus, for sending Your divine envoy to assist me in my hour of need."

The orchestra started a prayerful melody. "And so, Brian led Kitsune homeward, where she became his closest companion." Brock narrated from his nook. She helped him with the chores, provided him with food and money, and visited with him when the work was done for the day. But one night, Kitsune noticed Brian was in a glum mood..."

The lights came up on a bedroom of a fantasy house, where Ash was looking out a window at a starry sky set, a look of feigned sadness on his face. "Sir Brian?" Serena asked as she arrived on the stage. "Is everything okay? You haven't said a word all night!"

Ash sighed. "My parents have joined Arceus in heaven...I have no siblings..."

The orchestra started a hopeful interlude. "So even though I have you, I wonder...am I destined to be alone in the world?"

"Alone?" Serena gasped in feigned shock. “That’s no way for a young man to talk! You could get married, for one! Then you wouldn’t feel lonely!”

“Married?” Ash asked, a note of confusion in his voice. “How can I get married? I can’t marry a poor girl, because I'm poor myself...and a rich girl would laugh at me before she'd marry me.”

“How do you know this, if you don't try?” Serena asked with a smile. “You’re a fine young man, and you’re kind and gentle. What more could a princess ask for?”

Ash burst out in feigned laughter at this. "Me, marry a princess? That only works in minstrel's tales, and bedtime stories!" The audience giggled at this.

“Just hear me out, okay?” Serena assured Ash. “Take our own Princess Mina, for example. What would you think of marrying her?”

Ash thought for a moment. “I have heard that she is the most beautiful princess in the world! Any hero would be happy to marry her!”

“Very well...” Serena smiled, “if you'll trust me, I will see to it that you are seen worthy of Princess Mina's hand in His Majesty's eyes.”

A weak feigned smile formed on Ash's face. "Okay...I trust you, Lady Kitsune."

"Aw"s filled the theater over Ash and Serena's embrace as the lights went down. "And so, Kitsune departed for the royal capital early the next morning." Brock narrated from his nook, smiling a little at Serena dancing across the stage in a spotlight in time to the orchestra's playful melody. "She arrived in the capital around noon, when she knew the king would be hearing requests and petitions."

The orchestra's song turned majestic as Serena arrived on a beautiful fantasy throne room set, where a male extra in a colorful king's outfit awaited her. "Well! It's not every day the holy Delphox arrives at the castle. Name what you wish, Lady Kitsune, and it is yours."

"Well, I only have a simple request on behalf of my master, Sir Brian." Serena explained. "He is about to depart on a journey to find a worthy bride, but before he departs to a distant land, I have assured him he can find a worthy bride in Princess Mina. But he is not sure what sort of tribute would be enough for the lady Mina's hand."

The male extra snapped, sending some more extras hurrying on with a large prop bucket. "This is one of the biggest buckets in the royal storage..." the male extra playing the king explained. "If your master can fill this bucket with gold, I will invite him to the castle to see Princess Mina. If she favors him as much as he favors her, I will give my blessings on the marriage..."

@Catz

Episode 6: Kitsune Outwits the Wyrm

The orchestra started a playful melody as Serena skipped across the dark stage, picking up coins all the while. "With the large bucket in paw, Kitsune tracked down all sorts of little out of the way nooks and crannies where people dropped coins and jewels." Brock narrated over the music. "She found a gold piece here and a jewel or two there until the bucket was overflowing."

The lights came up on the throne room set again, where the male extra playing the king balked at the bucket full of prop coins and jewels. “My master sends you thanks, milord, for the use of your great bucket."

"I see...your master must be quite wealthy to fill the largest bucket in the royal storehouse." the male extra smiled. “I would like to meet your master..."

Giggles filled the theater as Serena paused for a moment. “I thank your Majesty for the kind invitation, but I fear my master can’t accept it just yet." she explained. "He wants to get married soon, and we are about to set off on a long journey to visit a number of princesses in far away lands.”

“Milady, please ask your master to pay me a visit before he starts out on his travels!"

More laughter went up as Serena blushed in feigned embarrassment. “Your Majesty, forgive my frankness. To be honest, you are not rich enough to entertain my master and your castle isn’t big enough to house the immense retinue that always attends him.”

The laughter in the theater intensified as the male extra playing the king hung his head. “My dear Kitsune, I’ll give you anything in the world--even heaven itself--if you will ask your master to visit me! Couldn’t you ask him to travel with a modest retinue this time?”

Serena shook her head. “No. His rule is either to travel with a great retinue, or to go on foot disguised as a poor woodcutter, attended only by me.”

“Couldn’t you ask him to come to me disguised as a woodcutter?” the male extra playing the king begged. “Once he was here, I could place fine clothes at his disposal.”

More laughter went up as Serena shook her head again. “I fear Your Majesty’s wardrobe doesn’t contain the kind of clothes my master is accustomed to.”

“I assure you I’ve got some very good clothes.” the male extra assured Serena. “Come with me to the royal closet. We’ll go through the clothes, and I’m sure you’ll find some that your master could wear.”

The lights blinked back to Brock in his nook. "So they went to the royal closet. The king ordered his attendants to bring the clothes down one by one, and let Kitsune see them."

The lights came up on a set of a royal hallway, where some extras playing servants showed Serena some simple clothes. “Good enough for most people, but not for my master.” Serena mused.

The extras next brought out some nicer clothes. "Getting there, but it's still not nice enough."

"Okay--bring out the finest clothes currently in the royal closet!" the male extra playing the king called.

Awed murmurs filled the theater as Serena studied some beautiful male outfits. "These will do just perfectly! They are not what he is accustomed to wearing, but I will say this for him: he is not proud.”

The male extra playing the king smiled. “Very well, Lady Kitsune, I’ll have the guest chambers prepared for your master’s visit and I’ll have all these, some of my finest clothes, laid out for him. You won’t disappoint me, will you?”

“I’ll do my best.” Serena grinned as the lights went down.

"The next day, as Princess Mina was watching the sunrise out of an upper window of the castle, she spotted a young woodcutter approaching, accompanied by Kitsune." Brock narrated from his nook as Dawn--now in a beautiful lavender and pale blue princess gown with pearl decor--spotted Ash and Serena arriving from a balcony at stage right.

Dawn smiled as the lights expanded to include May--now in a sky blue lady's gown with sapphire trim. “I think I could fall in love with that young man, even if he really was just a humble woodcutter!”

"Well, sometimes fairy tales do come true, milady." May smiled as the lights went down again.

The lights came up on the throne room set again, where Serena bowed before the male extra playing the king. "Milord, my master is a man of few words and quick judgment. He bids me tell you that your daughter, Princess Mina, pleases him very much, and is prepared to do anything you may ask of him for her hand."

“But, Lady Kitsune—” the male extra started.

“Just think the matter over carefully and give me your decision--whether it be for a test or a wedding--in the morning.” Serena assured the male extra.

The orchestra started a tense interlude as the lights came up on the male extra playing the king, Dawn, May, and a few more extras playing advisors in a room somewhere in the castle. "That evening, the king called a royal meeting to discuss Kitsune's command." Brock narrated. "The advisors all seemed to like Brian, and Princess Mina was more than willing to marry him right then. But some of the advisors wanted Brian to undergo a test of courage to see if he really was worthy of Princess Mina's hand." He let that hang as Serena and the male extra reunited on the throne room set.

"Well?" Serena asked. "What are we to do now?"

"While many in my court believe Brian would be a worthy husband for Mina, there are some that want to see his courage tested." the male extra explained. "So we agreed on this challenge: A few days’ journey from here, there is a very gorgeous castle belonging to a wicked old dragon who is known as the Wyrm. If your master can slay the Wyrm, the castle and Princess Mina will be his.”

"All right--I will inform my master of your challenge." Serena replied before departing.

The lights went down and came up again on a castle guest room set, where Ash emerged in a nicer red, orange, and gold costume that evoked a phoenix. "So His Majesty fancies me a dragon slayer...." he mused. "So how am I supposed to slay the Wyrm?"

“I've brought you this far, so just trust me.” Serena assured Ash. “Tomorrow morning, ask that the king give you the best sword, bow, and armor in the royal armory. Then lead the king and his knights along the main road until you reach a crossroads..."

@Catz

Episode 7: The Ballad, Live Onstage

Juliana smiled as she saw the troupe's ranking a few weeks later. "Well done, everyone! Both 'Kitsune in the Trap' and 'The Twelve Birthstones' have put us almost to the 400's in the ranking."

"Part of that was probably 'The Twelve Birthstones' being a twist on 'Cinderella', and a little more of an adventurous plot than just ending it on the unkind sister being frozen to death." Misty smiled. "But I know what we should do for our next play!"

She grinned at Brock improvising a familiar melody on a well loved gold acoustic guitar. "What would you think of turning 'Brian and Epona' into a play?'

"If you'll write the script and direct it, I'll be happy to narrate it, with my narration based on my song." Brock replied as he played with the chords to the rousing song's chorus."

"You're on!" Misty smiled before hurrying off to the writer's room, passing Ash in the hall along the way.

"What was that all about?" Ash wondered, confused.

"Misty offered to turn my ballad version of 'Brian and Epona' into a script." Brock explained, his improvisation around the song now an improvised melody in D major. "I believe you and Serena would be a perfect Brian and Epona based on you two's performance in 'Kitsune in the Trap'..."

"It would be a great play--and I will do everything I can to win the audition, and play the incarnation of Brian you made famous in your song!" Ash vowed before hurrying off to notify the rest of the troupe about the new play...

---------

Some weeks later, Misty watched as Brock read the play's opening narration. "Once upon a time, in a land far away from here, there lived a king and a queen that had twin sons. The elder son--whose name was Brian--had been given the holy steed Epona as a gift when he was born, and so the two of them were nigh on inseparable."

"Aw"s went up from the crew watching in the audience at this. "The years passed, and Brian came of age." Brock continued. "He longed to go out into the world and seek adventures of his own. So with his parents' and brother's blessing, they set out early the next morning."

"Okay--that's good!" Misty smiled before motioning Brock offstage. "Ash, Serena, you're up!"

She smiled as Ash arrived wearing a red cape as a stand in for a costume, and Serena arrived wearing a blue cape and a Ponyta ear headband. "Let's start from where Serena's opened the way into the cave...so for the moment, just pretend you're inside a beautiful glittering rainbow cave, okay?"

Ash nodded, and looked around in awe for a moment. "This place is beautiful...I almost don't want to leave you, Lady Epona."

"But for the moment, leave me you must." Serena explained. "This place is nearby the royal capital--you are not to divulge its location to anyone."

"May Arceus judge me if I ever reveal this sacred place to someone unworthy!" Ash vowed.

Serena smiled at this. "Now then--you are to travel to the royal capital in disguise as a poor boy, seeking work. Be careful you do not reveal to anyone your true nature as a prince!"

"I promise..." Ash assured Serena. "But what happens once the king hires me? What if something happens and I need your divine power?"

"If you ever need anything, no matter what it is, come to the rock, sing 'Jao wiisha nes chiel com yutuul...', and the rock will open to you." Serena assured Ash.

Ash smiled back. "Epona knows what she's doing, so of course I'll do as she says."

"And scene!" Misty called. "Serena, my only suggestion would be to add some sadness to your 'leave me you must' line. Just as Brian doesn't want to leave you, you don't want to leave him. Be careful not to have the line sound snarky or bored."

"Right!" Serena made a note in her script.

"Will I have a full costume change for the rest of the play, or will I just have something over my prince outfit?" Ash wondered.

"Confession time--I thought about a costume change for you, but decided it would be much better actually seeing Brian present himself to the king rather than being told about it--show, don't tell."

"That is an important scene, so I'd want to see it too." Brock agreed as he retrieved his script from his nook. "Are we going over Brian and Epona's parting again, or are we going on to the Brian at court scene?"

"Let's go over the parting one more time for now..." Misty replied before motioning for Ash and Serena to return to the stage. "Remember, this is a solemn parting. Neither of you want to leave, but you know you have to." she reminded them before signalling Ash's cue from her seat in the audience.

Ash looked around in awe for a moment. "This place is beautiful...I almost don't want to leave you, Lady Epona."

"But for the moment, leave me you must." Serena gently explained. "This place is nearby the royal capital--you are not to divulge its location to anyone."

"May Arceus judge me if I ever reveal this sacred place to someone unworthy!" Ash vowed.

Serena smiled at this. "Now then--you are to travel to the royal capital in disguise as a poor boy, seeking work. Be careful you do not reveal to anyone your true nature as a prince!"

"I promise..." Ash assured Serena. "But what happens once the king hires me? What if something happens and I need your divine power?"

"If you ever need anything, no matter what it is, come to the rock, sing 'Jao wiisha nes chiel com yutuul...', and the rock will open to you." Serena assured Ash.

Ash smiled back. "Epona knows what she's doing, so of course I'll do as she says..."

@Catz

Episode 8: The Ballad Becomes a Play

In the main theater, Misty watched as onstage, Ash met an older actor playing the king picking at some prop food. "Milord, is there something wrong?" Ash asked. "You've been picking at your royal breakfast all morning!"

The actor playing the king sighed as the orchestra started a sad melody. "There is something horribly wrong in the land, Sir Brian--something that brings great pain to my royal heart."

He went on "You see, some time before you came,three Hydreigons came flying through the area and landed on a great rock near the royal city. They soon laid waste to the country, devouring Pokemon and killing people. Before long, the city was in a state of siege."

Ash balked in feigned shock at this. "Oh no! What did you do to defend the city?"

"To keep them away, the people placed all the food they had outside the gates." the actor playing the king replied. "It was not long before they themselves were starving. In desperation, I had an old wise woman called to court. Once she came, I asked her if there was any way to drive out these monsters from the land. Unfortunately, the only way was to promise the Hydreigons my beautiful daughters when they came of age."

Ash froze in feigned horror over a stinger from the orchestra. "Then that means Orla, Ariana, and Christina are now in grave danger!"

The actor playing the king nodded yes. "Now, at that time, the girls were only about eight or nine years old, and I naively believed that many things might happen before they grew up. So, to relieve my stricken land, I promised the Hydreigons my daughters."

"WHAT???" Ash almost screamed, to a smile of approval from Misty.

"My beloved wife Melinda died of a broken heart weeks later, but the girls grew up knowing nothing of their fate." the actor playing the king continued. "As soon as I made the bargain, the Hydreigons flew away, and until yesterday. were never heard from again. Then last night, a shepherd, beside himself with terror, brought the news that the Hydreigons were once again settled in their old rock and sending out fearful roars, and that the time had come for the promised sacrifice."

"Is there anything I can do to save the princesses from such a horrible fate?" Ash asked.

"Unless you know of a hero that can slay the Hydreigons, or are brave enough to do the deed yourself, there isn't much you can do." the actor playing the king sighed. "If you do decide to attempt to slay the Hydreigons, I will reward you well, and allow you to chose one of the girls as a bride."

Ash nodded. "Don't worry, Your Highness--I will find a way to save the princesses, or die trying!"

"Okay, and scene!" Misty called. "First of all, I loved that shocked 'WHAT' when you learn what the king did. My only suggestion would be to turn down the volume on that just a bit--of course you want to sell Brian's shock at this turn of events, but we don't wanna make the audience jump."

"Okay--turn down the volume on the shocked 'what', but still convey Brian's shock about what the king has done." Ash mused as he made a note in his script.

"Now then...let's jump to the part where Brian returns to Epona, and they begin formulating a plan to rescue the princesses." Misty suggested as she watched some of e crew move a familiar large rock and an underground set into place.

After flipping a few pages in his script, Brock found the start of the scene in question. "That night, Brian hurried secretly out of the city and across the field to the rock where the holy Ponyta Epona was stabled."

The lights dimmed a little to mimic nighttime, giving Ash and the red cape he wore to stand in for a costume a ghostly blue glow. After looking around to be sure he had not been followed, he laid his right hand on the prop rock. Jao wiisha nes chiel com yutuul...

Misty smiled as the rock rumbled out of the way, revealing the underground hideaway set. Thank Arceus the rock works! The problem wasn't so much Ash singing the magic words, but getting the rock to move on cue!

She watched as Ash met Serena on the underground hideaway set. "Good evening, Sir Brian--what troubles you tonight?" Serena asked.

"Princess Orla, Princess Ariana, and Princess Christina are all in grave danger." Ash explained. "The king told me that to keep a gaggle of three Hydreigons from destroying the royal city, he promised the princesses to them. And now the promised day of sacrifice is upon us. Is there a way to save the princesses? My heart breaks for His Highness...he has already lost his wife the queen, and he shouldn't have to lose his daughters too!"

A smile formed on Serena's face as the orchestra's song turned hopeful. "I know all about the Hydreigons you speak of. This was exactly why I brought you here to begin with--so you could save His Highness from more heartbreak, and make yourself known as a hero!"

"REALLY???" Ash gasped. "What must I do to save the princesses?"

"Get some rest for tonight, then return here in the morning." Serena replied. "I will have a plan to rescue the princesses by then."

"Okay..." Ash smiled as he hugged Serena. "You have brought me this far, and I trust your plan will be a sound one. No matter how far you tell me to go, and how many dangers you tell me to face, I will face them all for my lord's sake and for the sake of the people."

He turned to leave the underground set. "I'll see you in the morning, Lady Epona..."

@Catz

Episode 9: The Ballad Debuts Onstage

"...So please enjoy the tale of 'Brian the Hero'." Misty concluded her introduction for the play a few weeks later.

Applause filled the air as Misty departed the stage, and the orchestra began a heroic overture, signaling the adventurous tale that was about to follow. "Ready to go?" Serena asked as Ash--now in a majestic prince's costume--joined her in the wings.

"As I'll ever be...Lady Epona." he smiled as he admired Serena's beautiful blue, white, and silver costume for a moment while waiting for Brock to give his cue.

Brock--now in a regal green, white and gold fantasy outfit--appeared in a spotlight at stage right some moments later. "Once upon a time, in a land far away from here, there lived a king and a queen that had twin sons." he began. "The elder son--whose name was Brian--had been given the holy steed Epona as a gift when he was born, and so the two of them were nigh on inseparable."

"Aw"s went up from the audience at this. "The years passed, and Brian came of age." Brock continued. "He longed to go out into the world and seek adventures of his own. So with his parents' and brother's blessing, they set out early the next morning..."

Awed murmurs filled the air as the lights came up on a glittering jeweled cave set. "...and here we are!" Serena smiled as she led Ash into the set. "This is where I will stay while you find your fortune in the city."

Ash looked around the colorful set in awe for a moment. "This place is beautiful...I almost don't want to leave you, Lady Epona."

"But for the moment, leave me you must." Serena gently explained. "This place is nearby the royal capital--you are not to divulge its location to anyone."

Ash smiled back. "Epona knows what she's doing, so of course I'll do as she says..."

---------

Later, the lights came up on the set of a royal dining room. After a few tense seconds, Ash met an older actor playing the king picking at some prop food. "Milord, is there something wrong?" Ash asked. "You've been picking at your royal breakfast all morning!"

The actor playing the king sighed as the orchestra started a sad melody. "There is something horribly wrong in the land, Sir Brian--something that brings great pain to my royal heart."

He went on "You see, some time before you came, three Hydreigons came flying through the area and landed on a great rock near the royal city. They soon laid waste to the country, devouring Pokemon and killing people. Before long, the city was in a state of siege."

Ash balked in feigned shock at this. "Oh no! What did you do to defend the city?"

"To keep them away, the people placed all the food they had outside the gates." the actor playing the king replied. "It was not long before they themselves were starving. In desperation, I had an old wise woman called to court. Once she came, I asked her if there was any way to drive out these monsters from the land. Unfortunately, the only way was to promise the Hydreigons my beautiful daughters when they came of age."

Ash froze in feigned horror over a stinger from the orchestra. "Then that means Orla, Ariana, and Christina are now in grave danger!"

The actor playing the king nodded yes. "Now, at that time, the girls were only about eight or nine years old, and I naively believed that many things might happen before they grew up. So, to relieve my stricken land, I promised the Hydreigons my daughters."

"WHAT???" Ash almost screamed, spurring worried murmurs and whispers in the audience.

"My beloved wife Melinda died of a broken heart weeks later, but the girls grew up knowing nothing of their fate." the actor playing the king continued. "As soon as I made the bargain, the Hydreigons flew away, and until yesterday. were never heard from again. Then last night, a shepherd, beside himself with terror, brought the news that the Hydreigons were once again settled in their old rock and sending out fearful roars, and that the time had come for the promised sacrifice."

"Is there anything I can do to save the princesses from such a horrible fate?" Ash asked.

"Unless you know of a hero that can slay the Hydreigons, or are brave enough to do the deed yourself, there isn't much you can do." the actor playing the king sighed. "If you do decide to attempt to slay the Hydreigons, I will reward you well, and allow you to chose one of the girls as a bride."

Ash nodded. "Don't worry, Your Highness--I will find a way to save the princesses, or die trying!" He hurried offstage as the lights went down.

"That night, Brian hurried secretly out of the city and across the field to the rock where the holy Ponyta Epona was stabled." Brock narrated from his nook as Ash ran across the stage in a spotlight, hiding the crew moving the set for next scene in position.

The lights dimmed a little to mimic nighttime, giving the red cape on Ash's costume a ghostly blue glow. After looking around to be sure he had not been followed, he laid his right hand on the prop rock. Jao wiisha nes chiel com yutuul...

Cheers filled the theater as the rock rumbled out of the way, revealing the underground hideaway set. "Good evening, Sir Brian--what troubles you tonight?" Serena asked as Ash met her onstage.

"Princess Orla, Princess Ariana, and Princess Christina are all in grave danger." Ash explained. "The king told me that to keep a gaggle of three Hydreigons from destroying the royal city, he promised the princesses to them. And now the promised day of sacrifice is upon us. Is there a way to save the princesses? My heart breaks for His Highness...he has already lost his wife the queen, and he shouldn't have to lose his daughters too!"

A smile formed on Serena's face as the orchestra's song turned hopeful. "I know all about the Hydreigons you speak of. This was exactly why I brought you here to begin with--so you could save His Highness from more heartbreak, and make yourself known as a hero!"

"REALLY???" Ash gasped. "What must I do to save the princesses?"

"Get some rest for tonight, then return here in the morning." Serena replied. "I will have a plan to rescue the princesses by then."

"Okay..." Ash smiled as he hugged Serena. "You have brought me this far, and I trust your plan will be a sound one. No matter how far you tell me to go, and how many dangers you tell me to face, I will face them all for my lord's sake, and for the sake of the people."

He turned to leave the underground set. "I'll see you in the morning, Lady Epona..."

It's been a little busy for me recently, so I'm glad I could find the time to pop in with a quick comment.

So far it's looking really good, I like the way the story is progressing so far, and the acting team seem to be naturals at this, providing a believable performance all around. Keep up the great stuff, Topaz!

Well that makes enough sense. After all, no story is very interesting without character development. With enough practice, they'll be stars in no time ✨

@Catz

Episode 10: The Rise of the Musketeers

"It was a great idea to do 'The Three Musketeers' for our next play!" Juliana smiled as the group got together for a readthrough some weeks later. "Melody seemed to like the idea of Ash, Misty, and Brock in the leads, and you directing..."

"Even though this is Kalosian story, it does have a Paldean counterpart." Serena replied as she got the readthrough room in order. "So a lot of Paldeans are familiar with it, thanks to 'The Queen's Knights'."

She noticed Nemona had arrived with her script some moments later. "You're not mad at me casting you as a bad guy for this play, are you?"

"Not at all--Lilliane sounds like a fun villain to play." Nemona assured Serena as she studied her script. "I'll do my best to make her witty and scary!"

Serena smiled as one by one, the rest of the troupe arrived. "Just have a seat anywhere." she assured one of the performers.

Once all those that had gotten speaking roles, the performers, and the crew were present, she began "Good afternoon, all--and thank you for helping to bring a Kalosian treasure to life--'The Three Musketeers'

She went on "Now...since I've read the original story; I'll first explain to everyone the differences between this adaptation and the original. For everyone's reference, we're doing a popular family friendly adaptation written by a Kalosian playwright--Nina Chéron ring any bells?"

Cheers filled the air at this--Nina Chéron was well regarded around the world for her family friendly adaptations of well known stories that captured the spirit of the original, even if they weren't 100% accurate. "Okay...while she has done some more mature work, Nina's primary audience is families." Serena went on. "So anyone want to guess what the first big difference is?"

"No d'Artagnan!" a boy guessed.

"Yes!" Serena smiled. "Nina felt it would be more powerful to see the Athos, Porthos, and Aramis counterparts rising to become musketeers, before they met d'Artagnan."

"So if my character is the bad guy's main lackey, who's the bad guy?" Nemona asked.

"I'm not going to give away too much, but the bad guy is a treacherous captain--complete with his own 'Milady'--your role." Serena assured Nemona. "His plot is different is well--use the ruse of a new play to take over the throne."

She addressed the crowd. "The adaptation goes something like this..."

The ruffling of paper filled the air as the others in the troupe opened their scripts. "Our story begins in the slums of a great city of a Kalos that never was. There, three friends struggle to survive among the rogues, troublemakers, and thieves. We have chosen to name them Rowan, Brenna, and Eliwood. Of the three, Eliwood is the only one that can work to support a family or friends. One day, he encounters the Royal Musketeers when thieves threaten to take the roast he planned to give Rowan and Brenna as a gift. But he ends up with another gift--a musketeer hat."

Ash smiled as he read the scene in question. I can't wait to see the audience's reaction when the hat doesn't fit me at first, then fits me perfectly in the first scene of Act 1...

"The years pass, and our heroes manage to find work in the castle as servants." Serena explained. "They hope to catch the attention of the captain of the Royal Musketeers, Captain Vernet. They do not know of his plot to take over the kingdom."

So, when do they figure it out? Nemona wondered as she tried oh-so-hard not to laugh over Act 1's first comical scene.

"After a series of mishaps, Captain Vernet vows that Rowan, Brenna, and Eliwood will never become musketeers." Serena continued. "But this only strengthens their resolve. Meanwhile, Princess Caliste summons Captain Vernet, and demands him to give her a unit of musketeers as bodyguards. This gives Captain Vernet an idea--why not make our heroes musketeers, then trap them with the princess and her lady so he can take over unopposed?"

"I'll admit that is a clever idea..." Misty mused as she continued highlighting her lines with an electric blue highlighter...

---------

The next day, the cast and crew eagerly arrived to get measured for their costumes and begin blocking. Misty was already in the process of getting measured, Brock waited his turn, and another member of the costume crew noted Ash's measurements. Serena was with the set crew, showing them some pictures of Kalosian buildings from the era they were supposed to evoke with their fantasy Kalos.

"Next!" the chief of the costume crew called, spurring Dawn to step forward to be measured for her costume. Those that were done being measured were being walked through their first scenes. Ash, Misty, and Brock were already blocking the prologue scene in the slums alongside one of the assistant directors.

Once she had left her pictures with the set crew to study and discuss, Serena located Ash, Misty, Brock, and the assistant by stage right. "You can take a break for now--I'll take over from here." she assured the assistant.

She next addressed Brock. "Okay...let's start from when Liko finishes narrating, please..."

"Great news, guys--I earned just enough to buy us a proper meal today..." Brock told Ash and Misty as he set a prop roast on top of the box that served as their table.

"Remember--this is not just any meal where you can slam it down." Serena reminded Brock. "Your character worked hard to earn the roast, so to a group of friends in the slums, such a thing is a gift."

Brock nodded, then tried his line again. "Great news, guys--I earned just enough to buy us a proper meal today..." The director smiled in approval as he gently set the prop roast on top of the box.

"Yay!" Misty cheered.

"Thank Arceus!" Ash agreed, abandoning the Oran peel he had been attempting to slice.

"It wasn't easy getting it back here in one piece, what with all the rogues around here..." Brock grumbled as he pantomimed carving the prop roast.

"This peel was once a berry, but someone stole it while you were away!" Ash explained, gesturing to the peel...

---------

"Okay, I need the princess and Nicole here!" Serena called some time later, spurring May and Dawn to join her at center stage.

She led May to a spot at stage right. "A bed will be here--this is where you are watching Caliste as she paces the floor."

"Right!" May smiled.

"Dawn--you don't want to stomp around or rush as you are pacing." Serena explained. "Try to walk at a slow and even tempo--this way, you still retain some royal grace as you pace the floor."

"I'll do my best." Dawn smiled.

"Stop your pacing when you ask Nichole how you can marry someone you never loved." Serena went on. "When you reach the line about your dream prince being a mirage, it's okay to sit and reflect for a moment before you say your next line."

Some of the set crew brought on a stool and a bench to stand in for the bed. "May, come over here to the bench, and we'll practice the scene with the blocking."

"Coming!" May smiled as she hurried into position to block hers' and Dawn's first scene...

Please note: The thread is from 8 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom