• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon: The Nightmare War (Chapter 3 up now!)

Re: Pokemon: The Nightmare War (Chapter 2 up now!)

I'm indeed interested in how this fic will continue - what with the rescue of Darkrai and all, and how Darkrai repays the (boy? girl?) for (his? her?) deed.

Couldn't find any gender hints besides the "labour" reference, which seems to imply that the protagonist is a girl. But then, reading it again, it doesn't refer to that kind of labour.

I'm indeed interested in how this fic will continue - what with the rescue of Darkrai and all, and how Darkrai repays the (boy? girl?) for (his? her?) deed.

Couldn't find any gender hints besides the "labour" reference, which seems to imply that the protagonist is a girl. But then, reading it again, it doesn't refer to that kind of labour.

It's a boy, by the way. Also, the sentence I used "Labor" in was just to show how tired the main character was at that point, as if they had been pulling around something heavy all day, etc. I didn't mean it in the way you probably thought at first. I can post my fist sprite of the character here, if you want.

Anyways, expect the next chapter soon, everyone!

I'm liking this fic. You've done Darkrai's character quite well. You see, I know of two different interpretations of the guy. There's the "official" interpretation, where he's simply a misunderstood creature. And then there's the other interpretation, which I personally would've liked to have seen in official Pokemon games, where Darkrai is just plain evil.

You, however, did something different. This interpretation of Darkrai pictures him as a creature who finds amusement in what he probably views as mortal affairs, and likes to mess with people's heads and cause mayhem. He's not malevolent, he just views humans as beings that are inherently below him. At least, those are the vibes I'm getting from his dialogue in the second chapter.

Evil Darkrai's in PMD2. He's also easily the best incarnation of Canon!Darkrai out there.

Okay, everyone, I think I've kept you waiting long enough. Here's chapter 3!

(By the way, everyone, I ran out of ideas for the title of this chapter. That's why it's not so good)

Chapter 3: Breaking and entering?
I started to awaken.

At first, I couldn’t really tell. Somehow, despite Darkrai normally causing nightmares, I had been having pleasant dreams. Well, now that I think about it, I don’t think you could really call it a dream at all. It was more like just a pleasant nothingness, filled with relaxation and happy thoughts.

Anyways, once I woke up, everything started coming right back to me. I realized that I had just met Darkrai in my dreams or something, or maybe it just used my dreams to transport me to that island. Either way, I was back in that strange one-room house that smelled of mold and decay.

I found myself back in that disgusting bed in the corner. There were several small mushrooms growing in the corner of the house. Eww.

Either way, I really needed to get out of this house and go home. I stood up, throwing the moldy blankets off of my body. They fell to the floor, and I set out towards the door.

Once I arrived at the door, I checked, and it was surprisingly unlocked. I exited the house and breathed in the cool, crisp air of Canalave City.

It was still somewhat dark, and a small amount of fog had set in, obscuring everything on the other side of the river. The sun was beginning to rise in the east, and I supposed it was somewhere around dawn.

I remembered the Darkrai had said that it would give me new Pokemon, so checked my belt. Sure enough, I had an all new set of Poke-Balls. They were all Dusk Balls, obviously. In my actual team, I had only had one Pokemon in a Dusk Ball, my Graveler.

I pulled the first one off of my belt, and weighed it in my hand. It felt no different from a normal Dusk Ball, but seemed to have a bit of a malevolent aura around it. Then again, what did I expect from the lord of nightmares?

I threw the Poke-Ball into the air, and the normal red light sprung out from it. Within a few seconds, a Houndoom had appeared in front of me, growling and baring its teeth. A dark type. Of course.

Next, I grabbed the second Poke-Ball. Once again, the same red light and malevolent aura. This time, an Umbreon appeared. It also seemed just as aggressive as Houndoom, constantly sheathing and unsheathing its claws. The Umbreon padded over to Houndoom, and began to lick its paws.

The next Dusk Ball contained a Honchkrow. It stood, stretched its wings, and glared at me. Its beak seemed razor sharp, and as I watched the Honchkrow opened and closed its beak in a silent yawn. It flew over to the three others.

The fourth ball was exactly the same as the others. I began to wonder what Pokemon would be inside it. Most likely, it would be a Dark type. Man, my team would be completely destroyed by a fighting-type.

This time, the Dusk Ball contained a Spiritomb. It stared at me with that creepy face, and I could almost feel the evil spirits trapped inside the stone shifting around. The Spiritomb cackled evilly and floated over to the three others.

Two Pokemon left. I wondered who they would be. There was only one way to find out, but this time I was too impatient to release them one at a time. Instead I gripped one Dusk Ball in each hand, and threw them both into the air at the same time.

The feeling of evil was almost too much to bear as they both opened, and I actually felt myself taking a few steps back. One of the lights from the Poke-Ball stretched farther into the air, ending in the river. A Sharpedo emerged from the waves, snapping its jaws hungrily, then went back under. I figured it was looking for something to eat down there, under the water.

The second light ended at the normal point, and a Driftblim floated around eerily, staring at me with those soulless eyes. It seemed to take an interest in the Honchkrow, and drifted over to its side. Honchkrow looked indifferently at Driftblim.

I decided to return them all to their Poke-Balls and get home before my parents noticed my absence. I gathered up all the Dusk Balls, and clicked the buttons in the middle of each. After six red flashes, all of the Pokemon were back in their respective Poke-Balls.

I jogged along the cobblestones of Canalave city, a cold wind cutting through the town. I knew I was on the right side of the canal, mainly because I recognized the building I had been in as the Canalave Inn. It had been empty for years, but there was a legend of Dakrai living in it. Figures.

I finally arrived at my house. To my horror, the lights were on in the entry room, and I couldn’t get in through the front door without being caught. Luckily, there was a window on the other side of the house that was relatively low to the ground. It seemed luck was, erm, siding with me on this side of the house. The window was unlocked, and the lights were off. I might just be able to get back into my bed and act like I had never left.

I quietly opened the window and climbed inside, welcoming the heating inside the house. The stairs were to my left, but the lights were on. On the other side was the laundry room. There was a laundry chute leading upstairs in that room, but it went straight up, with nothing to grab onto. However, the lights were off in that room, implying that no one had or was in there.

I decided to chance the stairs, because I didn’t think it was really physically possible to climb up the laundry chute. I crept through the room, keeping against the wall until I reached the stairs. Now I could see the shadows of my mom and dad in the other room. They were talking to each other, but I wasn’t particularly interested in what they said, so I went upstairs.

My plan might’ve worked if it wasn’t for Darkrai’s “gift.” I was in my room, preparing to get into bed, when the Houndoom randomly escaped from its Dusk Ball. It roared, sending a column of flames towards the window. It shattered, but didn’t make too much noise. I was hoping against hope that my parents hadn’t heard.

That’s when the burglar alarm went off.

Evil Darkrai's in PMD2. He's also easily the best incarnation of Canon!Darkrai out there.

Oh, did I say "in official Pokemon games"? What I meant to get across was the mainstream Pokemon games, such as Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, etc.

Anyways, about the next chapter. I think you've chose the team quite nicely. I can easily imagine that Honchkrow showing some stubbornness later on.

Once again, Darkrai's "gift" perfectly goes along with my description of how you've identified him as a character. He probably wasn't feeling generous, he was just messing with the main character's everyday life, and seeing how he'll react. I can't wait for the reveal of the second thing that Darkrai gave him, although I do have my suspicions. I also can't wait for the other incidents his Pokemon will get him into. Good work.

Those are some awesome pokémon for Darkrai to give. I'd love that team. However, a Dark/Fighting type would destroy it.

Fortunately for him, I'm assuming that Generation V Pokemon aren't in this fic. However, since Lucario can know Dark Pulse, a good Lucario could devastate that team.

But who cares, it's Darkrai. Did anyone honestly expect the guy to give him any Pokemon of any other typings?

No, except for maybe a Drowzee/drowzee* or Hypno/hypno*. Those two always struck me as the kind of pokémon that would serve Darkrai.

*choose whichever you think is correct

No, except for maybe a Drowzee/drowzee* or Hypno/hypno*. Those two always struck me as the kind of pokémon that would serve Darkrai.

*choose whichever you think is correct

The Creepypasta thread has ruined my image of them forever, plus, I wanted to make it all dark types. I always pictured Gengars serving Darkrai, but got rid of it for Spiritomb.

Gah, I was hoping this wouldn't happen... you're just having Darkrai throwing the guy out with a new team, and nothing else.

But after that little part, what happened next was alright. Burglar alarm indeed.

I'm so sorry about not updating, everyone! I was on vacation without access to the internet. I'll have the next chapter up within the next few days, hopefully. I'm having a bit of writer's block, though.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom