• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

News Pokémon: The Origin!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The question you have to ask with this is why?

If they want to get kids acquainted with the old games, couldn't they just re-run the original series but reanimated like they do in DA for Flashbacks and most importantly keep the same voices as the original had?

I'm just curious when Japan has specials for anime, can it be like the movies where scenes are just made for trailers?

The question you have to ask with this is why?

If they want to get kids acquainted with the old games, couldn't they just re-run the original series but reanimated like they do in DA for Flashbacks and most importantly keep the same voices as the original had?

They re-run old episodes all the time on Smash so its nowhere near as new or exciting material to hype people up with. They're creating new content for new games.

If you really want to see the OS series, just y'know, go and watch it?

In the trailer, they addressed the players of Red and Blue. Which would mostly be the older audience, I think.

The whole text of the trailer is something along the lines of:

"To all who played Pokemon Red/Green... The start of everything, the world of Pokemon Red/Green is brought to life with an original animation! Set to air on TV Tokyo channel at 2/10 (Wed), 7pm."

I think there could be several reasons for why they are doing this. One, fan service for the older audience. Two, show the newer audience how everything started. Not the normal anime per se, but the original idea. This would be the two reasons I can spontaneously think of.

And Mega-Evolutions... If they really want to bring the world of Red/Green to life, I would not be so sure about showing these evos during this special. If they want to promote XY, they should just show some Kalos Pokemon during the normal anime (which they do either way) and run commercials during breaks. In my opinion, Mega Evolutions are not something that should be included in a special about the original games where the developers probably did not even think about anything remotely similar to them.

And regarding specials for anime in Japan, most of the time they are longer episodes, meaning two or more episodes broadcasted at the same day. In western countries (or at least here in Germany), those "double-episodes" or "specials" are usually split. Sometimes, there are also specials where it is shown what characters other than the main cast are doing. Or summaries/outlooks. At least as far as I know.

Last edited:
And Mega-Evolutions... If really want to bring the world of Red/Green to life, I would not be so sure about showing these evos during this special. If they want to promote XY, they should just show some Kalos Pokemon during the normal anime (which they do either way) and run commercials during breaks. In my opinion, Mega Evolutions are not something that should be included in a special about the original games where the developers probably did not even think about anything remotely similar to them.
I would tend to agree, except there are clearly stones next to Charizard and Red. What other purpose could they serve?

I also don't think that the retcon is that big a deal since the in-game Cerulean Cave event is probably not the canon version of the event. Red isn't supposed to catch Mewtwo in the story.

Hm, I don't see any stones. I see Charizard and Red floating somewhere. I only see that Red's right hand is glowing, a flame appears and then the logo follows. Yes, it could be a Mega Evolution, but it could also be something else. Something that shows Red's connection with Charizard shortly before he is defeated and that helps Charizard win. However that does not have to necessarily be a Mega Evolution. At least in my opinion. But meh, I could be biased because I think Mega Evolutions are completely superfluous. But perhaps that's just me... Well, when the special is aired, we will know.

And regarding Mewtwo... Well, to even have the possibility to catch it, you had to clear the league in the original games. So, if the special only shows the game plot until Red becomes champ and does not include any post game events (or better post main story events), then Red won't catch Mewtwo anyway. Under these conditions, retcon regarding Mewtwo is indeed no problem, that's true.

Last edited:
Another note about Red's design for Origins.

http://www.pokemon.co.jp/info/2013/08/images/130817_g01_pic16.jpg
http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/7/75/Ash_DP.png

His pants for Origins are heavily based on his anime version's DP pants (Satoshi's DP outfit was partially based on Red's FRLG outfit, but FRLG Red's pants didn't look like that). Interesting.

You know. I would have preferred it if they did this, since they're using the Gen I Zukan (Pokedex) anyway:

LqrxCTW.png

But that's just me.

Last edited:
Hm, I don't see any stones. I see Charizard and Red floating somewhere. I only see that Red's right hand is glowing, a flame appears and then the logo follows. Yes, it could be a Mega Evolution, but it could also be something else.
They're stones. I highlighted them for you.
Mega.png
And regarding Mewtwo... Well, to even have the possibility to catch it, you had to clear the league in the original games. So, if the special only shows the game plot until Red becomes champ and does not include any post game events (or better post main story events), then Red won't catch Mewtwo anyway. Under these conditions, retcon regarding Mewtwo is indeed no problem, that's true.
Origin is basically confirmed to feature Mewtwo. The official website has a line which is translated as follows: "And, he has a fierce fight with Rocket-Dan Boss Sakaki, after that an unknown Pokémon awaits him." The unknown Pokémon should be Mewtwo. Also note the cave.

What I'm getting at is that there will be an encounter without a capture.

Hm, you might be correct. These big, glowing things could indeed be Mega Stones. Damn. Doesn't change the fact that I don't like the idea of Mega Evolutions. Well, I will just have to deal with it. Doesn't stop me from watching the special. Well, taken together I'd guess that if Charizard undergoes a Mega Evolution it will do so when it means it will meet Mewtwo. I'm interested in how this plays out.

And with an encounter between Red/Charizard and Mewtwo without capture I can live very well.

Wait, so Red and Charizard are in water? What about Charizard's burning tail?

Or will Mega Evolution be used to save Charizard?

I don't think that's the case. If that were true, they would have used Gen I designs instead of Gen III designs. That, and the games are as popular as ever in Japan, and this seems to appeal to the game-playing fanbase. This project is most definitely independent of the true anime series and will mostly likely be headed by the game's scenario writers (or at least given input).

I, myself, speculate that Pocket Monsters The Origin is prelude to certain roles that will be played in XY. Not just an attempt to boost the franchise's popularity.

I understand that, though it still doesn't make much sense to me from game promotion point to do close adaptation of first generation(remade one)8 years later. When they could have just do this special in 2004/2005 when Fire Red Leaf Green just came out being actually relevant and when pokemon chronicles still aired. Serving as material which could have been included there like it was case with Jimmy and Marina.

Games are still going strong thats true, but as far as anime goes its in constant decline with lack of continuity and nonexistence of ties to past sagas and characters, but shallow and inconsistent storyline too causing drop of fan interest.
And through animated special introducing probably most popular game protagonist ever(Red) i can't shake of impression of this being done at least partially to generate higher income of money and restore of popularity by attracting people from older game demographic allured into anime scene.
Something which obviously wont work for fans whose interest is waning of not because Red wasn't in it, but because of aforementioned issues.

My biggest fears of jazz betweern Ash and Red fans becoming even deeper started to realize already. I can't count number of people at youtube, deviantart, tumblr etc starting to actually think how Red "so called pokemon God, savior" is going "to replace Ash and do anime justice". "How this was what anime should have been from start." How Red is epitome of competitive and skilled trainer etc, etc, etc.

Such level of fasnboyism is starting to be annoying honestly for me with many of Red fans being under belief how writers finally listened to them giving on table what they asked for years. I liked Red too, but to draw such unfair parallel between him and Ash who is based on him decrying character value seems exaggerated and in least hand unfair. This quite frankly ruins any enjoyment i might have had for it.

Last edited:
As I said, I speculate that it's not intended to promote FRLG or the Gen I games (though it would sure inspire fans to check the originals out), it's promoting the XY games. Mewtwo is gonna play a role in Gen VI judging by the XY promotions, and Red or Fuji might very well play a role in those games as well due to their connection with Mewtwo alone. The Pokemon Tower arc is confirmed to be adapted in this program and Mr. Fuji's inclusion is a given, further supporting my assumption. We also have the regular anime, focusing on Satoshi in promotions this time around and being given Red's FRLG hat. It's all too perfect to be a coincidence.

Also, "Chronicles" was the English compilation of the side-story episodes aired on Weekly Pokémon Broadcasting Station that did not include Raikou! Legend of Thunder! (this was a seperate hour+ special entirely), which starred the anime versions of the Gen II protagonists named "Kenta" and "Marina". They exist in the regular anime. Origins is an entirely different anime adaptation and is not a side-story to the anime. Airing it as a "Chronicles" episode would cause confusion, as it is not meant to be taken as part of the anime's continuity.

As for the whole stupid Red vs his anime counterpart thing, it has existed for a long time and it annoys me too. I can understand that. I hate the Satoshi bashing. The canon mashing and lack of understanding of canon from fans annoy me, but I've learned to deal with it without it affecting my views on certain characters or stories. Don't let those stupid fanboys sour your view on Origins or your enjoyment of it.

Last edited:
Omg, did anyone notice?

Red commanded Scratch against a Rock type such as Geodude? What a noob. :O

Omg, did anyone notice?

Red commanded Scratch against a Rock type such as Geodude? What a noob. :O
He's probably not gonna evolve his Pikachu either.

Yet it would apparently be more awesome than Satoshi not evolving his Pikachu.

:|

I feel like the only one that is not enthused about this. We've seen this story done a million times in several different media. Nostalgia is not a good reason for anything to me. If it is like the Special manga, even more so because I don't like Special's style of writing. Of course, one could question what it is I want. Honestly, I don't know anymore. This certainly is not it. I'll pass on this one.

is it only a single special episode or a weekly series?

Wait, so Red and Charizard are in water? What about Charizard's burning tail?

Or will Mega Evolution be used to save Charizard?

Charizard's Mega Fire/Water confirmed.

This airing at 7pm should be enough to rule out it having a different target audience to the main anime in terms of maturity.

Naruto is airing in the same time, and it's considerable more "mature" in terms of fandom...

I am just glad Red isn't a freaking bishonen in the new anime.

Yep, he is, instead, moe as fuck:

is it only a single special episode or a weekly series?
As far as we know, it's a special that will air on October 2nd. So this isn't a weekly series, but that doesn't mean that it's necessarily a single special, either. It would make sense to air another special a week later closer to XY's release.

Two 90-minute specials would be akin to 8 episodes of the regular anime. I think that this would suffice for doing the story justice, but I suppose that a 90-minute special could work, too. Anything less than that would be quite meager given the content.

My God! I mean my God! Red looks like a horrible version of K-ON. As I said in the other forum, I don't really understand the point of a special like this that should have been made ages ago. Why now of all times?

Such level of fasnboyism is starting to be annoying honestly for me with many of Red fans being under belief how writers finally listened to them giving on table what they asked for years. I liked Red too, but to draw such unfair parallel between him and Ash who is based on him decrying character value seems exaggerated and in least hand unfair. This quite frankly ruins any enjoyment i might have had for it.

I really do hate to barge into your posts but I personally like Ash and Red equally. I grew up reading the manga special as well as watching the anime. Both have some good fans. The only problem I have with any of this is the moment of this taking place and how the Red character is drawn. I mean he looks horrible. However, I think people used to always praise Red over Ash was because when we read about him he was always more impressive and stronger. But that's just how differently their stores were made. I don't think that's any reason why some are more fan boyish for Red than Ash. It's because we've never seen Red in anime until now and we know little of him as far as in any of the series, so people only judge by what was in the manga. I'm happy they finally are doing a special series but I would have liked to have seen this around the BF where it made more sense than now where everything including "Da" seems a bit off.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom