• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

News Pokémon: The Origin!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought it might be fake when I just saw the single scan posted right at first, once I saw it and the rest of the scans come out quickly I realized it was authentic. Also, if you're gonna say stuff like that, might I point out that I was correct in my assertion despite everyone else doubting it that "Newtwo" was authentic when we first saw it.

Not sure why you have to bring up one mistake I made and use it to somehow prove I'm wrong when my interpretation of the situation here is based on all the facts and evidence we've seen so far. It's pretty obvious looking at the combination of the trailer and website that this is going to just be a special that tells an abridged version of Red and Blue mainly focusing on Red's and Blue's battling, with a few other scenes in between.

I love how they're taking a step in this direction! This is an absolutely wonderful idea and I hope it turns out well. They definitely pandered to the fanbase here. Will Leaf/ Blue/ Female PC also show up? How about the local legendaries?

Did anybody else do a double take when they saw Oak and Brock in a different style? What studio is doing this series?

Sadly people are saying the Pokemon Company Japan's website is claiming this is merely a half-hour special (the actual link has yet to be provided to the source in question by anyone: I want to see it myself).

EDIT: Here is the source, people, confirming that it is indeed a special.

『赤・緑』の世界が蘇る! TVアニメ『ポケットモンスター ジ・オリジン』、10月2日(水)に特別番組として放送決定! |ポケットモンスターオフィシャルサイト

I myself also feel it is a wonderful idea, and it looks like a solid effort. From what FANG-TAN told me, it's OLM with XEBEC.

You sure it's a 1/2 hour special instead of a miniseries? Kind of hard to cram even the basic outline of the Gen I games into half an hour.

I agree, and it doesn't make sense to me, either. ANN said it was to be an anime series but then TPC JPN's website says that it's a "special broadcast program."

It looks like ANN jumped the gun on this one.

ANN tends to exaggerate and twist crap. I dislike it as a source. Still mad at that article doing the VA change that said that pikachu changed VAs even tho pikachu's VA is japanese and her voice as pikachu stays the same in english.

I'm not really the nostalgic type, but I can't lie this looks pretty exciting. If it does turn out to be a half hour special it'll probably focus on Red's final battle with Blue for the champion title, with some events from the games as a series of flashback montages.

The art style is kinda ugly, but judging from the studios involved I'm expecting some pretty sweet animation.

Like I said, we only got ONE trailer that proves this special animation will indeed air. Any other details will probably cone out if we wait a few weeks or so. There's still time till October, so no need to rush into conclusions.

I'm in love with the art and animation especially now that I found our that production I.G. is also working on this OVA, I love their beautiful style. As for the very content, count me in? I don't care if this is short or anything, I just wanna watch this and enjoy it.

I love how at when Charmander is released, we don't see it actually come out of it's Poke Ball just like in the games. Love how they are mashing up Generation I and III. Gen III character styles but still have Gen I Pokedex and all.

I like Lance's character design more than the one in the ongoing series. ;D

He looks like a true champion with those eyes.

This looks really cool and amazing ;_; I've wanted to see a game-based anime ever since we saw those short BW anime "shorts"... The animation is beautiful and more natural than before (especially in the Charizard and Blastoise parts!). If this is just one special episode, then I hope they make more for the other gens in the future.

I really dig the music in the trailer, hopefully the episode(s) will have even more remixed game music!

I really dig the music in the trailer, hopefully the episode(s) will have even more remixed game music!
I kind of want them to use Burning Battlefield. It's been a long time since that track was used.

That being said, I hope Red is given a Pikachu aside from his Hitokage starter. I can't imagine a version of Red without a Pikachu, except for Zensho where Satoshi's Pikachu evolved into a Raichu.

Last edited:
My reaction is pretty mild being too little, too late at this point.
If this was announced around 2004/2005 perhaps i would be more enthusiastic about whole thing. But 8 years later it gives out impression of being doine solely with attempt of trying to boost up pokemon popularity and reputation by alluring nostalgic first gen fans back into whole thing. Something which could be done with more prominent results if chronicles were continued or past characters became relevant within main series again expanding on their adventures.

Now don't get me wrong. I am too interested in seeing Red(Ash) and Green(Gary) in animated form relieving my childhood days when i started playing games. How their adversary will play out, quest and way they will deal in battling gym leaders, E4 etc. Seeing Lance, Brock, hopefully other Kanto gym leaders too in different light and universe displaying their game personalities, battle skills and relevance to plot might catch my attention too.

But do i really care that much for close adaptation of games transfered on big screen? Not really because i care much more about anime Brock, Gary, Ash or anyone else for that matter.
Given how they are more explored, deeper and explored as characters dugging more into their stories.

I do like games and im sure many will be extactic over Red being showcased through anime. But myself personally prefer when anime is treated more as its own media not being replica of games with writers having free hands to add some of originality and their own imagination in whole thing treating it like actual story.

Im not going to be party breaker giving chance to whole thing before i form judgment. But am i excited myself that much about this? Not really.

I don't think that's the case. If that were true, they would have used Gen I designs instead of Gen III designs. That, and the games are as popular as ever in Japan, and this seems to appeal to the game-playing fanbase. This project is most definitely independent of the true anime series and will mostly likely be headed by the game's scenario writers (or at least given input).

I, myself, speculate that Pocket Monsters The Origin is prelude to certain roles that will be played in XY. Not just an attempt to boost the franchise's popularity.

Initial reaction: "Haha, what? That's pretty cool!"
I'm looking forward to this.

Last edited:
Oh my goodness, another stab in the childhood. Retconning the Original series out of existence.

I really don't understand posters who say that this is somehow done to win old fans back, it really won't. To me personally it's a little insulting to me as a viewer that they think I will just forget that Ash is the anime version of Red, sorry TV Tokyo I haven't forgotten the GS Ball either.

If they want to win old fans back, bring old characters back, Misty, Tracey, Gary (no not Green!!!) and maybe revisit Kanto and Johto again in the real anime. Decolora islands does a good job with flashbacks and references to the past that gets the nostalgia flowing.

I think it's obvious that this Origin thing will be more than 1 episode, (battle against Lance and Champion Green are seen) but I doubt it will be more than 1 series. (After all Red was not in Johto (apart from the battle on Mt Silver), and I doubt they will do the Orange or Sevii Islands)

Not sure it will even come to the West or they will have to recolour Green to wear Blue.

Man, I'm really late on this (dammit timezone!) but this looks pretty cool....

I love the artstyle! Great! All in all, I'm pretty excited. Though I do wonder how they're gonna squeeze Red's full journey from start to finish in one special...

Last edited:
Well, I'm definitly going to check this one out. Yes, the animation designs of the characters are not something I am used to, but they are indeed close to the games. However, I am a part of the target audience for this special, as this special was made for those who played Pokemon Red and Green (or Blue outside of Japan). They even say so in the trailer. So I will go and watch this thing for sure. It's just too nostalgic for me to miss this. Still, I have a hard time imaging how they will fit even the basic plot of the original games into 20 to 30 minutes. If they only show the most important ones, they will need at least 60 to 90 minutes, and even then much will have to be cut. I will just have to wait and see.

And I'm especially interested in one thing: As Charmander could not learn Metal Claw before Generation III I think, I want to see just how Red will win against Brock. In contrast to FR/LG, players in Generation I had major problems against Brock if they chose Charmander for exactly this reason. I still remember how I had to level up my Charmander to at least level 16 or something like this in Red to not be knocked out in one hit by his Onix. And even with support by Butterfree (which learns Confusion at level 12 in Red), the fight against Brock was still not a walk in the park, not even with a full team of six. Yes, the animators could give Charmander Metal Claw as it can learn this move in FR/LG, but that would defeat the purpose of going back to the original games. Well, looks like I have to wait and see how this plays out.

And I'm especially interested in one thing: As Charmander could not learn Metal Claw before Generation III I think, I want to see just how Red will win against Brock. In contrast to FR/LG, players in Generation I had major problems against Brock if they chose Charmander for exactly this reason. I still remember how I had to level up my Charmander to at least level 16 or something like this in Red to not be knocked out in one hit by his Onix. And even with support by Butterfree (which learns Confusion at level 12 in Red), the fight against Brock was still not a walk in the park, not even with a full team of six. Yes, the animators could give Charmander Metal Claw as it can learn this move in FR/LG, but that would defeat the purpose of going back to the original games. Well, looks like I have to wait and see how this plays out.
I doubt that they won't use any of the newer moves. Red's design is based on FRLG, and more importantly, there is strong evidence that Charizard will undergo Mega Evolution.

I expect Origin to be faithful to the original games, with the required differences to promote XY. FRLG-exclusive elements shouldn't be excluded, either.

Ehhh, looks somewhat interesting in my opinion. I played RBY and it was my first set of games but I'm not that nostalgic for them compared to other people so I'd honestly have preferred something about XY or even just a special showing brief scenes about every protag to date.

The fights seem like they'll be good.

Oh my goodness, another stab in the childhood. Retconning the Original series out of existence.

As soon as you saw the gameboy at the start of the trailer you could tell that isn't what they're going for. It's a big misunderstanding on your part.

Here's me not looking forward to the fandom reaction to this. It'll be like with the B2W2 commercial, but worse. Oh lord...

It's already starting.... taken directly from YouTube:

Ash is an everstoneholding immortal weak g*ylord who never evolves his Pokémon and hasnt even beat the Pokémon league after almost twenty years. His Pokémon are weak, his pikachu after all these years haven't even caused team rocket a serious injury yet. Only little kids like ash. Red FTW!!!

And that is just one reaction. Expect to see more.

Meh... I'm still excited for this special though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom