• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

News Pokémon: The Origin!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Except for the fact that in the United States, where the dub will air, Pokémon Red and Blue WERE the first games. Nobody played Pokémon Green in the US and most did not know about it, especially back then with no internet.
Their "fact" doesn't change the true fact that "Red and GREEN" were where the franchise began, not "Red and Blue" (which were updated re-releases for us, not where the series began, as they claim). "Then" does not equal "now", especially when most people do know about it now.

You don't see Square Enix claiming that Final Fantasy VI is Final Fantasy III anymore, despite no one back then being aware that there were five numbered installments before it - or where the hell the alleged "IV, V, and VI" went when they simply called VII its correct number. It's not that big of a problem, but I find it silly that the localization team for Pokemon refuse to correct their past mistakes.

Not sure where i'll be able to stream these episodes online, but I'm sure i'll find it somewhere :p
It'll be streamed on Nico Nico Live.

It looks a lot more mature and less shonen compared to the main storyline.
? Shounen is a age demographic, not a look nor an art style. The main Pokemon anime is also not a shounen, especially not now.

That said, I don't think mature is an accurate way of describing it. But by no means is it a bad thing.

Last edited:
Their "fact" doesn't change the true fact that "Red and GREEN" were where the franchise began, not "Red and Blue" (which were updated re-releases for us, not where the series began, as they claim). "Then" does not equal "now", especially when most people do know about it now.

You don't see Square Enix claiming that Final Fantasy VI is Final Fantasy III anymore, despite no one back then being aware that there were five numbered installments before it - or where the hell the alleged "IV, V, and VI" went when they simply called VII its correct number. It's not that big of a problem, but I find it silly that the localization team for Pokemon refuse to correct their past mistakes.

Not sure where i'll be able to stream these episodes online, but I'm sure i'll find it somewhere :p
It'll be streamed on Nico Nico Live.

It looks a lot more mature and less shonen compared to the main storyline.
? Shounen is a age demographic, not a look nor an art style. The main Pokemon anime is also not a shounen, especially not now.

That said, I don't think mature is an accurate way of describing it. But by no means is it a bad thing.

Do you reckon it will have english subs? I generally watch most of my anime on nwanime.com Maybe it'll show up there as well?

But they didn't release Green and call it 'Blue' like the comparison with just ignoring other versions in the Final Fantasy series - they released a translated Blue version and called it Blue. Considering those watching the dub grew up with Red/Blue and nostalgia is just about the only point this special has, I don't see a problem considering the history in the context of the US/Global market.

Unfortunately, there's not much we can about the Green/Blue name swap, even if there are many older fans who know quite well about it...
But HECK! Why are they always obscuring Blue/Leaf?! She deserves some loving and screentime as well!

NOTE: I'm not a Blue/Leaf fan, I just don't like her being put in the shadow of all other Player Characters...
She didn't even get to have a story as NPC in FrLg if you were to choose Red as PC... But May did have...

But they didn't release Green and call it 'Blue' like the comparison with just ignoring other versions in the Final Fantasy series - they released a translated Blue version and called it Blue.
Actually, no. Both Red and Blue were updated re-releases of Red and Green using Blue's graphics and final dungeon layout for both.

They could have easily appealed to the global market by saying "the original 151, where it all began" or "Generation I, where it all began". That being said, I personally value correctness over marketability. Could have done both. Again, not that big of a deal. Especially since I don't watch the dub. It's just a minor gripe.

But HECK! Why are they always obscuring Blue/Leaf?! She deserves some loving and screentime as well!.
You speak the truth, man. You speak the truth.

Do you reckon it will have english subs? I generally watch most of my anime on [illegal anime stream site] Maybe it'll show up there as well?
The one that will be streamed on Nico Nico Live is an official stream, and they announced an English dub so it's highly unlikely that it'll have official English subtitles (something Pokemon has never received in its whole entire life). Unofficial sub groups will definitely pick it up some days after the special has been broadcasted on Japanese television and "finds" its way online. It happens with every modern anime. Meaning it's unlikely for you to catch it at the earliest without not understanding a thing, unfortunately.

Last edited:
Clarification

Gen 1 Japanese Pokemon Games were Red and GREEN.

I don't know why, but the US decided to release a BLUE version. There is no official BLUE version in Japanese. Also, the remakes were FireRED and LeafGREEN. There was nothing about a BLUE game in Japan.

And, Pokemon is from Japan, if any of you have forgotten. Please stop considering the US versions have anything to do with the plot or any technical stuff when it's Japan who makes everything. The US contribute nothing in the whole creating process.

The US are only translating them so it'll be easier for the US audience to understand (hence, renaming the Rival). And that's about it.

Everything is based on the Japanese Red and Green version.

I don't know why, but the US decided to release a BLUE version. There is no official BLUE version in Japanese. Also, the remakes were FireRED and LeafGREEN. There was nothing about a BLUE game in Japan.
There was a Blue version in Japanese. It was the third version of the series, and "fixed" the graphics of the Red and Green versions (such as the artwork); a new layout for the final dungeon and some glitch fixes included. The international "Red and Blue" versions are localizations of "Red and Green" containing Japanese Blue's graphical updates and final dungeon layout. We never actually got Blue version, though, or the original releases of Red and Green for that matter if you take all of that into account.

Yellow is the fourth version. Generation I is only one that had two non-sequel additions to the main paired versions.

Last edited:
Clarification

And, Pokemon is from Japan, if any of you have forgotten. Please stop considering the US versions have anything to do with the plot or any technical stuff when it's Japan who makes everything. The US contribute nothing in the whole creating process.

The US are only translating them so it'll be easier for the US audience to understand (hence, renaming the Rival). And that's about it.

You should start checking stuff on Bulbapedia, I'm sure you'll be surprised with the amount of things you still seem to need to learn.

There was a Blue version in Japanese. It was the third version of the series, and "fixed" the graphics of the Red and Green versions (such as the artwork); a new layout for the final dungeon and some glitch fixes included. The "Red and Blue" versions are localizations of "Red and Green" containing Japanese Blue's graphical updates and final dungeon layout. We never actually got Blue version, though, or the original releases of Red and Green for that matter if you take all of that into account.
As such, I certainly don't think it's a mistake that needs correction to call something based on the Blue Version, 'Blue'. And because they did, I think Red and Blue as the paired version outside Japan is a perfectly fine way of saying where it 'began' for a dub audience.

An even more pedantic difference would be that there was never a "Pokemon" Green Version, only a "Pocket Monsters" Green - so the statement that Pokemon Red and Pokemon Blue were the first Pokemon games is true.

As such, I certainly don't think it's a mistake that needs correction to call something based on the Blue Version, 'Blue'.
Using that logic, they should have called them both Blue version.

They weren't "based" on Blue. Well, OK, they were. But they only used the graphics, final dungeon layout, and the script. Everything else otherwise resembled Red and Green.

And because they did, I think Red and Blue as the paired version outside Japan is a perfectly fine way of saying where it 'began' for a dub audience.
? It's still incorrect. The 4Kids dub of the original anime would be where it all began for the dub audience.

An even more pedantic difference would be that there was never a "Pokemon" Green Version, only a "Pocket Monsters" Green - so the statement that Pokemon Red and Pokemon Blue were the first Pokemon games is true.
Pokemon is a shortened form of the title Pocket Monsters, which the Japanese also use (as is "WataMote" for "Watashi ga Motenai no wa dō Kangaetemo Omaera ga Warui!"). It's hardly a change semantically. Also, what they said in both versions of the trailer were the colors, not the entire Pokemon/Pocket Monsters name; not to mention that you would be implying that "Pokemon" should be considered a series separate from "Pocket Monsters". I don't see your point.

I might have not had a gripe with it if they were at least consistent. They did call the remakes FireRed and LeafGreen, after all. If they're going to make a change, stick with it or fix it.

~

Regarding Origin's plot, I'm kind of disappointed that I seem to be the only one that even attempted to figure out who this "Reina" character was... People are writing this special off too soon and it bugs me.

Last edited:
Bulbapedia doesn't have any intel on Reina as well... Let us see what name she'll get in the Dub...

Clarification

You should start checking stuff on Bulbapedia, I'm sure you'll be surprised with the amount of things you still seem to need to learn.

Yes, I found that I've had some wrong information regarding the first generation games.

However, my point still stands that any content within the pokemon games and/or anime are solely based on what is made in Japan, and the US don't have anything to do with the story/plot/characters.

They weren't "based" on Blue. Well, OK, they were. But they only used the graphics, final dungeon layout, and the script. Everything else otherwise resembled Red and Green.
That's enough to say it's as much of a 'Blue' as it is Green - that no colour is 'correct' to describe what's essentially a hybrid - the Pokemon games that were adapted for the western audience. The decision I imagine was that Charizard and Blastoise were more marketable vs Venusaur.

? It's still incorrect. The 4Kids dub of the original anime would be where it all began for the dub audience.
In terms of how strange it would be to try and invoke nostalgia for a 'Green' version that never existed outside Japan - It's correct in the context of the games that existed at the time for the audience.

Pokemon is a shortened form of the title Pocket Monsters, which the Japanese also use (as is "WataMote" for "Watashi ga Motenai no wa dō Kangaetemo Omaera ga Warui!"). It's hardly a change semantically. Also, what they said in both versions of the trailer were the colors, not the entire Pokemon/Pocket Monsters name; not to mention that you would be implying that "Pokemon" should be considered a series separate from "Pocket Monsters". I don't see your point.
Because it would odd to say in English that it 'began' with the Pokemon Red and Green versions. The promotion is speaking in English about the memories that people who played the games in English have about the English language release.

Simply put - "where it began" for me and the vast majority of those who will watch the dub of the special by playing the games in English with Pokemon Red and Pokemon Blue.

In terms of how strange it would be to try and invoke nostalgia for a 'Green' version that never existed outside Japan - It's correct in the context of the games that existed at the time for the audience.

Because it would odd to say in English that it 'began' with the Pokemon Red and Green versions. The promotion is speaking in English about the memories that people who played the games in English have about the English language release.

Which is why I suggested they should have used other phrases to get the same point across if they wanted to avoid confusion. "The original 151 Pokemon", "Generation I", etc, would also extend to Yellow version, the first dub of the anime, any of the side games, etc. Again, I prefer correctness over marketability, and they could have done both and invoked nostalgia better.

Bulbapedia doesn't have any intel on Reina as well... Let us see what name she'll get in the Dub...

As a refresher, I personally have my bets on it being that unnamed NPC in Shion Town that lived with Karakara or Fuji's granddaughter.

She was presented in the cast section alongside Mr. Fuji... It's quite the possibility...

I think it's fine that they're calling Blue, "Blue" rather than Green for the dub, since that is his canon name in the U.S. Calling him Green would probably have been strange, especially since this isn't about FRLG (which is odd, considering the outfits).

I don't see how referencing Red and Green as the original games for the English dub of Origins would have made sense. If anything, I think that would have caused confusion seeing as, in the U.S., Red and Blue were released. Of course, we all know about the actual history of Pokemon originated from Red and Green, but I doubt a majority of others who keep up with Pokemon now, especially brats children, will know that. Even people who grew up with Red and Blue would find more nostalgia in referencing those games, not games they didn't get.

People didn't have problem when the game they grew up with as Final Fantasy II suddenly started getting called Final Fantasy IV. Or when Princess Toadstool suddenly started going by the name "Princess Peach." Or any of the other examples I've brought up previously.

What makes Pokemon fans unable to do exactly the same thing that fans of other franchises have done numerous times over the years?

The franchise begqan internationally with Red and Blue, not Red and Green. If a chuld want to search about the first games, he will find out that pokemon Red and Blue were the first games.

Is in Pokemon TV, which means that i expect them in Europe and Australia like in the United States.

I dislike the trailer because one line: "to the fans who played Red and Blue 15 years ago". Only those? And the people who played in 2004? Or children who are fans of Pokemon and want to see everything Pokemon-related? Japanese media does it better by mentioning old and new fans. I don't know if a 5 year old should watch the special (I have to see it) but a 8 year old child can do it without problems.

Unless they are hiding the fact that is +12 for Country A laws or something, there's no reason to not include the current Pokemon audience of XY (and BW, DP) in it.

Japanese media does it better by mentioning old and new fans.
The tagline on the Japanese poster is "To everyone who played Pocket Monsters Red & Green", so I don't see much difference even if the website refers to new fans, as well.

The franchise begqan internationally with Red and Blue, not Red and Green. If a chuld want to search about the first games, he will find out that pokemon Red and Blue were the first games.

Is in Pokemon TV, which means that i expect them in Europe and Australia like in the United States.

I dislike the trailer because one line: "to the fans who played Red and Blue 15 years ago". Only those? And the people who played in 2004? Or children who are fans of Pokemon and want to see everything Pokemon-related? Japanese media does it better by mentioning old and new fans. I don't know if a 5 year old should watch the special (I have to see it) but a 8 year old child can do it without problems.

Unless they are hiding the fact that is +12 for Country A laws or something, there's no reason to not include the current Pokemon audience of XY (and BW, DP) in it.
I'm not exactly understanding your POV, but from what I managed to get, Pokémon: The Origin is a commemorative Anime Special for XY and at the same time is a really nice service to old fans and a reintroduction to the primordials of the franchise to those who may not know about the Classics, it's all a matter of entertainment and advertising.

In Japan, the game series started with Red & Green, internationally it started with Red & Blue, what's the confusion in all that?
International Red & Blue were mainly Red & Green with Blue's patchings (since DLCs had yet to exist), that's all.

Green was renamed Blue internationally to fit with Red & Blue, there's not much that can be done about that...

If you check the english logo of the Special, you'll see that the ORIGINS is colored Red & Blue, while in the japanese logo, Pocket Monster is colored Red & Green, so as to fit the games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom