• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon The Series: XY Season 2 - Be a Hero English Dub Opening

PokeDot517

Reaction score
What are your thoughts on the new English dub opening theme song "Be a Hero"

Personally, I overall didn't like the opening I did like the beginning lyrics but when he starts singing Be a Hero...meh the lyrics get too generic and the Mega Volt opening was edited to fit the song poorly.

Maybe the should've stuck with Pokémon theme (Version XY) after all its still The Series XY just season 2 of it.

Or maybe they should just do remixed versions of older Pokémon theme songs. Maybe a 30 second remixed version of I'm Unbeatable from Season 8 or somethin else.

Score: 6/10

Last edited:
I personally loved it. The opening itself looked awesome and I think the last few clips they chose fit in perfectly. For the song itself, it was less about generic happy friendship and more back along the lines of trying to be somebody, or, a hero in this instance. Took me back to "I Want to Be a Hero" from Advanced. More about the journey than just friendship, which I appreciate.

I personally find these ah-so-heroic themes super lame and Be a Hero wasn't any different from that. It started out quite well and catchy, but the chorus just didn't work for me at all. Also the singers hoarse voice was a bit... I dunno, it just didn't sound very good. The footage was alright I think, much better than for example BW Rival Destinies one, where the footage and cuts didn't sync with the music at all D:<. Overall, I really preferred the previous theme, both music and the footage, but this is okay. Not awful, but I'd have really liked to see them doing remixes of old themes :D.

I'd like to agree with Tsutarja and I also think that the song is cool but the choice of footage is rather poor. Instead of using unique scenes from the Anime which have already become old by now, they should use more general footage that can always be watched, no matter how many episodes have already aired.
What I like though, is the last scene where you see Ash's hand held high into the sky and and the singer sings "The world is in your hands". That's quite impressive if you ask me

What I like though, is the last scene where you see Ash's hand held high into the sky and and the singer sings "The world is in your hands". That's quite impressive if you ask me

That's Serena's hand, actually, from the 3rd(?) variant of Mega Volt

I appreciate that they created an original song instead of just remixing one of the old ones, so I can't criticize it that badly.

With that said, after hearing it several times, I find that the word mediocre best describes this opening.

The lyrics themselves were good, pretty much any string of uplifting cliques will suffice for the lyrics to a Pokémon opening, so I have no qualms with that. The footage worked. I personally would have preferred scenes more similar to the footage from the first XY opening or the scenes like those from Getta Banban, but what was used lines up fine. What gets me the most was the actual music itself. It starts off with that alternating syncopated time accompanied by that weird chromatic build, and just as soon as I start getting the feel of the introduction, it switches to the "Be a hero" chorus. Besides that, the vocals I wasn't too fond of either. The Sad Truth did a good job with their rendition of the Pokémon Theme, but their recording of this opening just seemed to be lacking a certain something for me; it just felt a little too rushed.

Overall, "Be a Hero" does not make my top ten of dub themes. It's a good song, don't get me wrong, but it's not "Unbeatable" or "Pokémon Johto" by any means. They did it least try something new though and maybe in time it will grow on me the way some of the other themes did. For now though, it falls just one notch below "We Will Carry On" on my list.

Personally, I thought the song was okay. There didn't seem to be enough space in 30 seconds for all the song wanted to do, however-perhaps a full version will have more room for progression.

As I said in the other thread, I liked the song. I just wished they would have used more footage from the recent Japanese intro.

WELL, given the fact that Froakie evolves next episode, and the fact that in a few episodes Serena will have shorter hair, the current opening would be outdated fairly quickly, so I honestly believe that after, say, XY061, they'll update the opening with Mad-Paced Getter scenes.

Anyways, I liked the song compared to the other dub songs. However, the other dub songs are mostly meh-tier, so it's not really saying much.

I didn't like it until the hero part kicked in so eh

After listening to it several times, I actually really like the song a lot. Certainly a refreshing change of pace from the usual songs about friendship. The footage is mostly just okay; nothing better or worse than usual when it comes to using random scenes for the edited English openings. Except of course for that last scene, which actually did match the lyrics at the right moment perfectly.

Personally, I didn't liked the opening, sounded terrible, I had to turn down the volume on my TV, for me it was that bad. Hopefully the next opening won't be too bad.
1 out of 10.

my thoughts summed up in 4 seconds

[video=youtube;Va5_rn3vG3A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Va5_rn3vG3A[/video]

I like the song. I actually have an idea for a music video using it but I need to get an mp3 file of it.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom