• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

'Pokémon the Series: XY' to start Jan. 18: Mewtwo Strikes Back digitally remastered,

Status
Not open for further replies.

BulbaBot

Dreams of electric Bulbasaur
Reaction score
'Pokémon the Series: XY' to start Jan. 18: Mewtwo Strikes Back digitally remastered, Mewtwo ...

Cartoon Network to air Pokémon the Series: XY, Mewtwo — Prologue to Awakening and digitally remastered version of Mewtwo Strikes Back this January.

Read more on Bulbanews

Re: 'Pokémon the Series: XY' to start Jan. 18: Mewtwo Strikes Back digitally remaster

Finally a date for the series to start too bad we going to have wait until February to see a new episode sine they will be showing the first two episodes a week after the other. I am guessing America was getting too close to Japan that we had to have this delay.

Re: 'Pokémon the Series: XY' to start Jan. 18: Mewtwo Strikes Back digitally remaster

...so they're airing the prologue to Mewtwo's awakening nearly three months after the movie it's serving as a lead-in to debuts in the U.S.?

Yeah, that totally makes sense.

Also I guess Japan's handed over their HD remasters of the movies? Or is this going to be something that TPCI does themselves?

Pokemon The Series: XY Trailer
[video=youtube;hIXdyRpuSLc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIXdyRpuSLc[/video]

Man am I looking forward to this, if I can handle the wait this long I can wait a little longer I guessXD

THAT'S the theme song?! While the original Gen I Theme was a true Gem, i'm not really sure what to think about this remix. I flat-out hated the remix used in the first movie, but this version? I dunno. I think i'll need to listen to it more in full and without a narrator talking over it.

and digitally remastered version of Mewtwo Strikes Back this January.
Can this please finally lead to a Blu-Ray release?

THAT'S the theme song?! While the original Gen I Theme was a true Gem, i'm not really sure what to think about this remix. I flat-out hated the remix used in the first movie, but this version? I dunno. I think i'll need to listen to it more in full and without a narrator talking over it.

I would venture a guess that it's probably a place holder theme. Seems to me that it's unlikely they'll reuse the original.

That said, the remix used in season 4 was pretty good...

I cannot wait.

and digitally remastered version of Mewtwo Strikes Back this January.
Can this please finally lead to a Blu-Ray release?

It's hard to believe they would go through the trouble to restore the film and not put it out for commercial sale. Of course, it's been out of print in the US since 2009, so any new showing of it is pretty significant.

TPCI most likely isn't the one restoring the film. They're probably just taking the HD remaster that was released on Blu-ray in Japan a little over a year ago and swapping out the Japanese title screen / end credits with the English ones.

Considering how TPCi still hasn't released any of the current movies on blu-ray yet (despite them being released on blu-ray since the Victini pair), I do wonder if they'd bother releasing the first movie on the format. Blu-Ray sales for the Genesect and the Legend Awakened will probably be higher than Mewtwo Strikes Back.

TPCI most likely isn't the one restoring the film. They're probably just taking the HD remaster that was released on Blu-ray in Japan a little over a year ago and swapping out the Japanese title screen / end credits with the English ones.

They certainly wouldn't be doing it themselves. There are a number of companies that do this kind of work. I wouldn't be surprised if what you say is the case, but it's also possible that the original English version was restored as well.

Joshawott said:
Considering how TPCi still hasn't released any of the current movies on blu-ray yet (despite them being released on blu-ray since the Victini pair), I do wonder if they'd bother releasing the first movie on the format. Blu-Ray sales for the Genesect and the Legend Awakened will probably be higher than Mewtwo Strikes Back.

Maybe, but Miramax seems to be doing just fine with their 4-7 Blu-Ray. I can only assume one based on the first three movies would do even better.

They certainly wouldn't be doing it themselves. There are a number of companies that do this kind of work. I wouldn't be surprised if what you say is the case, but it's also possible that the original English version was restored as well.
If a HD master is already available somewhere in the world, it would simply be a waste of money for TPCi to do their own remaster, when all they need to do is acquire the recent Japanese one and resync the audio and other fine-tuning.

Joshawott said:

Maybe, but Miramax seems to be doing just fine with their 4-7 Blu-Ray. I can only assume one based on the first three movies would do even better.
Possibly, but I'm still waiting on them to release a new movie on blu-ray.

If a HD master is already available somewhere in the world, it would simply be a waste of money for TPCi to do their own remaster, when all they need to do is acquire the recent Japanese one and resync the audio and other fine-tuning.

We don't really know who's footing the bill for the remaster (most likely whoever stands to gain the most from it financially). It could be Warner Bros. or Viz.

Well, for movies 12-15, you can import the ones from Australia-they're marked region B but play just fine on region A players (aside from potential 50hz issues).

We don't really know who's footing the bill for the remaster (most likely whoever stands to gain the most from it financially). It could be Warner Bros. or Viz.
Considering that a HD remaster of the first Pokémon movie aired on Japanese TV back in May, it's very likely that TV Tokyo (or whoever pays for the Japanese production if not them) footed the bill.

I imagine that TPCi is doing exactly what Anime Limited in the UK are doing with their upcoming remastered Outlaw Star release - they're taking the original audio from the original release and re-syncing it to the remastered footage.

Well, for movies 12-15, you can import the ones from Australia-they're marked region B but play just fine on region A players (aside from potential 50hz issues).
[/quote]
*Sits here in my Region B region chuckling* Importing is expensive though. Not sure I like the movies enough to pay import costs xD

Considering that a HD remaster of the first Pokémon movie aired on Japanese TV back in May, it's very likely that TV Tokyo (or whoever pays for the Japanese production if not them) footed the bill.

The HD version of the first movie had already been out for about six months by the time TV-Tokyo got around to airing it.

The HD version of the first movie had already been out for about six months by the time TV-Tokyo got around to airing it.
Ah, so even earlier then I thought then. Then there's absolutely no reason to believe that the remaster wouldn't have been available to TPCi, especially considering how early they receive the TV episodes.

I wonder if Pikachu's Vacation will air with Mewtwo Strikes Back like it previously did. (I mean, if they didn't release the shorts with the movies since Movie 3's 2001 DVD, and both MSB and PV are on separate discs in the Blu-ray set, would TPCi be sent separate HD masters of both?) Also, is this likely to happen with The Power of One and Spell of the Unown?

Last edited:

I wonder if Pikachu's Vacation will air with Mewtwo Strikes Back like it previously did. (I mean, if they didn't release the shorts with the movies since Movie 3's 2001 DVD, and both MSB and PV are on separate discs in the Blu-ray set, would TPCi be sent separate HD masters of both?) Also, is this likely to happen with The Power of One and Spell of the Unown?

Last I saw, the time slot was two hours long, meaning it probably has the short.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom