• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

EVERYONE: Pokemon: The Shimmering Stage (on hiatus; reworking in a new form)

Episode 18: The Blessing of Six Spirits

"That festival was so much fun!" Serena raved as the caravan got back on the road a few days later. "And thank you for winning me a Braixen doll in the ring toss." she told Ash before hugging a Braixen plushie sitting by her on the couch in the common room.

"Aw, it was nothin'..." Ash grinned as he invited his faithful Pikachu Tintri on his shoulder.

"Well, from here, we're off to Reedy Field Station, where we will perform 'Princess Yumi Subdues the Demon'." Brock explained. "It sounds like an interesting Zelda-esque adventure..."

"Anyone got a copy of the script this time?" Serena asked.

"It's a public domain script, so it's easily findable online." Misty assured Serena as she perused the script on her PokeNav.

A bling on Serena's PokeNav got Serena's attention. "Oh, thanks for sending me the link to the script!"

"Anytime!" Misty smiled before sending out a flurry of text messages. "Let me give everyone a copy of the link to the script, so we all can study it together."

Once Dawn had opened the link to the script, she perused the cast list. "From what I hear, every girl in the troupe is trying out for Princess Yumi...

"Be warned, this is not an excuse to wear elaborate kimonos or Europan princess dresses..." Brock cautioned as he perused the play's production notes. "As her name suggests, Princess Yumi is well versed at the bow, and must have good athletic and acrobatic skills, in addition to a good voice..."

"What part should the one playing Yumi sing?" Serena wondered.

"The script explicitly asks that a good soprano play Princess Yumi, although a mezzo soprano on the soprano side might be able to do it with some practice." Brock replied. "So Misty's out of the question for that role..."

"Yeah, Princess Yumi would be a little too high for me." Misty agreed as she listened to a MIDI version of one of the play's songs on her PokeNav.

"Noelle might be able to do it..." Dawn remembered. "She's always had a good voice..."

"I'll try out for Princess Yumi, but my voice might be a little too sweet for her..." May admitted.

"I'll try out for her too, but I might be a little too powerful for her..." Dawn agreed. "It would likely be neck and neck between Noelle and Serena..."

"Well, no matter what role I get, I'll still give it my all, like I do every play." Serena smiled. "Although I've heard a lot about Noelle, Dawn--if she ends up playing the lead in this play, I will happily give her some tips, as the troupe's eiyuna."

"Aw, that's sweet of you..." Dawn smiled before a shrine in the distance got her attention. "I wonder which Legendary that shrine is dedicated to..."

"Actually, this is the Shrine of the Six Spirits." Brock explained. "Want to stop and pay our respects?"

"Yeah!" May replied. "Maybe I can ask Jade Beautifly to watch over my next role!"

---------

The ringing of a sacred bell filled the shrine grounds as the group left offerings, wishes, and prayers at the shrine some moments later. Please, Ruby Phoenix, grant me your courage and joy for our shows... Ash prayed.

After finishing his prayer, he met Serena near the wishing tree. "What fortune did we get?"

"We got a lucky fortune!" Serena smiled. "Basically said that the results of our hard work will pay off many times over, so I had to put it on the wishing tree."

Inspired, Ash motioned for the miko. "Can you show us which fortune is ours?"

"It's this one right here..." the miko replied, pointing out a fortune tied to a flowering branch with a yellow ribbon. "Your companion asked to tie it with a yellow ribbon for extra luck."

Ash nodded. "Thanks."

The miko smiled. "Arceus' and the Six Spirits' blessings upon you."

---------

"Well, I got Cerulean Frost, like I tried out for..." Misty mused as the group got together in May and Dawn's wagon a few days later. "Who got Princess Yumi?"

"It was a very tough call, Rona said, but Noelle just barely edged Serena for the part." Dawn replied. "Serena was actually Rona's second choice..."

Serena smiled. "Tell Noelle I said congratulations, and I will be happy to give her any help and advice she might need for her first lead role."

"I will." Dawn replied. "I ended up with Pearl Moon, which was my plan B role...

"I got my plan B role too..." May agreed. "Jade Wind."

"I can only imagine what that costume might look like..." Dawn mused, aware of Ash drawing something in his Pikachu patterned sketchbook.

Serena looked over at the beautiful warrior's garb Ash was drawing on a featureless female outline. "Oh, that's beautiful!"

"It's my idea of Jade Wind's costume, based on the production notes." Ash explained as he added some lavender trim to the half colored pale green and gold outfit. "Once I'm done coloring it, I plan to show it to the costume crew."

"Let me see!" May hurried to get a look at the in progress drawing. "Wow! I'd love to wear that costume!"

"I'll tell the costume crew you want this to be your costume." Ash assured May.

"Draw what you think Cerulean Frost's costume would look like next!" Misty suggested.

"We have a while to go before we reach Reedy Field Station, so I may just draw every character's costume based on the production notes." Ash admitted. "Of course, if you have a better idea for your character's costume, tell the costume crew that, as well."

Dawn nodded. "When you get to Princess Yumi's costume, may I give that one to Noelle as a gift?"

"Sure..." Ash grinned as he continued coloring. "I'll even sign it too!"

Episode 19: A Readthrough with a Friend

A few days later, Dawn and an auburn haired girl embraced as the others arrived in the common area for a readthrough of "Princess Yumi Subdues the Demon". "It's not the same as the readthrough room in the theater, but we'll make it work." Dawn assured the girl as the two of them found seats near the right end of the table.

"Good to see you again, Noelle..." May smiled. "Well done on getting the lead!"

"Thanks..." Noelle smiled. "To be honest, I was trying for any role at all. Getting Princess Yumi was a total surprise!"

"Well, if you have any questions about playing the lead, we'll be happy to help." Dawn assured her friend. "Princess Yumi is a big part, but I think you can do it!"

About then, Brock arrived with his copy of the script. "Okay, everyone...has everyone had a chance to read over their scripts?"

When affirmative answers wafted in his direction, Brock next asked. "Does anyone have any questions, concerns, observations, comments on what they have read? You don't have to have read the whole play yet--just tell us about what you have read if that is the case."

"I'm curious as to how they'll make a blizzard for meeting Articuno on the Winter Path towards the end of Act 2..." Ash wondered. "Will they just use Mothim or Frosmoth scales? Glitter? Stage snow? Either one of those would be a pain to clean up once the scene was over..."

"What will probably happen is digital snowfall on 'Blizzard' for the background, then some prop snow-blankets in various sizes to make snow in the foreground." Brock assured Ash. "The snow-blankets are very easy for the stage ninjas to pack up--simply roll up the large blankets and gather up the smaller pieces. The only time you'll see glitter or Pokemon scales is if we need a blast of snow to emphasize how cold it is in the play's world."

"I'm excited to see the Articuno puppet...how does that work?" Noelle was intrigued.

"Well, when we need the Articuno puppet to fly, we have a kite-like puppet." Brock replied. "It's basically a toy kite with a puppet head attached. Two performers in greenscreen suits control it on the ground, and a third performer will perform the puppet in whatever location it lands--in this case, a hollow tree, since those have space to hide the performer."

"Cool!" Noel smiled.

"Can we go over the scene where Princess Yumi meets your character?" Dawn asked, flipping her script back to Act 1.

"Ah yes, following the vina to Verdant Night Pond." Brock remembered as he found the scene in question. "The script doesn't say I have to play anything specific in that scene, so I'll rotate among some of the more beautiful solos in the vina repertoire during the run."

"Okay...so I won't be hearing the same song every performance." Noelle mused. "How should I basically react when I do hear you?"

"If the song is something slow and majestic, you could try approaching with awe." Brock suggested. "If the song is more upbeat, you could try excitedly running to follow the sound."

"So after visiting a little bit and telling you why I'm on my mission, I then find out the vina plays magic when you fight off a kawaguma in the river." Noelle replied as she read over the scene. "That's gonna be exciting!"

"Just like I'm not gonna play the same song when I first appear, what spells I perform to drive off the kawaguma will be different." Brock explained. "So many aspects of this scene will be a surprise every show."

"All the more reason to see the play multiple times!" Noelle agreed.

"I'm looking forward to Princess Yumi's first trial--the cave behind Silver Dawn Falls." Misty smiled. "I'm intrigued by how the dungeon team will incorporate swimming into a dungeon crawl..."

"If Zelda can do it, we can too!" Ash smiled. "That, and we have successfully worked water into dungeon challenges before..."

"How does that work?" Noelle was intrigued. "Wetsuits would ruin the illusion of a Waku that never was."

"You'll get a wetsuit-like costume that resembles your main costume when it's time to go swimming." Serena explained. "To the audience, it appears you've never even changed costumes."

"If you're wondering how we get a pool onstage, we have several that live under the stage for aquatic acts and water based challenges like this." Misty explained. "When we need the water, the pool comes up through a trap door, then goes back down after we're done swimming."

"But what happens when you need to go underwater?" Noelle wondered. "Scuba regulators and air tanks would look weird in a fantasy..."

"Most of the time, we just hold our breaths." Misty assured Noelle. "When we do need to stay underwater for longer than that, we have special air crystals that function like a scuba regulator, without air tanks. This way, we can maintain the illusion of fantasy. But if you need aquatics practice, we have plenty of practice pools back at our theater--and most other theaters will have a practice pool or three, even if they're inside a post station or out in the middle of nowhere."

"Based on my script, I'm gonna have to do a lot of breath holding..." Noelle showed Misty some stage directions for the water trial. "Will you show me how to do that?"

Misty nodded. "The station we're going to does have the means to do aquatics--so I'll give you some breath holding training when we get there!"

Episode 20: The Archer Princess Comes to Life

"Here we are..." Brock smiled as he, Dawn and Noelle emerged onto an archery training range in the post station's theater training complex later that afternoon. "First and foremost, any shooting not for the stage or competition should be done in a wide, open space; or on a training range, like this one."

"Okay..." Noelle replied as she pulled on her bracers.

Once sure Noelle was ready, Brock walked her through the proper shooting stance. "Now--to form the proper stance while standing, you want to stand shoulder-width apart completely sideways to the target, with your toes at a 90 angle to your target."

He observed Noelle trying to mimic his pose, but her feet were too close together. "Almost..."

Noelle quickly readjusted her feet so that her toes were at a 90 degree angle. "Better." Brock smiled. "There shouldn't be any bending at the knees or waist, and no leaning either."

He winced when he saw Noelle slightly slouching. "You want to keep a straight back." he reminded Noelle. "Your head is the only thing that turns toward the target, and your arms are the only body part that moves, okay?"

"Got it!" Noelle replied as she straightened up.

"We'll worry about shooting from a kneeling position once we get standing down, okay?" Brock assured his student before showing Noelle one of his own arrows as a demonstration. "On most arrows, there are three fletchings--two fletchings of the same color and one of them a slightly different shade of the same color. When nocking your arrow, the different color fletching should face away from the bow and towards you. Once your arrow is in position, place the nock of the arrow--that's the split ending at the back of the arrow--on the string of your bow, pushing it in until you hear a subtle click."

Noelle did her best to follow along with what Brock was doing with her own training bow. "Okay!"

"Now, form your stance again." Brock instructed.

He waited for Noelle to get in position, then went on "First of all, that's a much better stance than before. To shoot properly, start by straightening your hand with the bow ahead of you, but keep it flexible with a slight bend in the elbow. Whatever you do, don’t lock up your shoulder."

"Got it!" Noelle smiled.

"You want to hold the bow like you would the handle of a teacup or coffee mug, with three fingers--typically the index, middle and ring--but keep the thumb lowered." Brock explained as he prepared his own shot. "There are several different grips, but you pick the one that's best for you."

Noelle readied her shot, then waited for Brock's instructions. "Moving on...to draw, draw with three fingers around the string below where the arrow is placed." Brock explained. "Try to keep the elbow of your drawing hand in line with the arm that’s holding the bow."

He smiled as Noelle assumed the correct pose. "Very good...now anchor your drawing hand on your face, ideally somewhere in the region of your mouth and cheek just below your eyes or nose so that you can see down the shaft of your arrow."

A few tense seconds went by as Noelle drew her training bow. "When you're ready to shoot, simply relax your drawing hand and follow through with the shot."

Noelle fired a few seconds later, her shot landing on the outer black ring of the target, to Dawn's applause. "One last thing--don’t put down your bow or change your position until your arrow is in its target." Brock explained before observing Noelle's shot. "If this were a competition, you'd get three points for that shot."

"How'd I do?' Noelle wondered.

"You did well following along with my instructions." Brock replied. "It may sound like a lot to remember, but we'll keep practicing so it becomes second nature by the time opening night comes, okay?"

"Okay." Noelle smiled before nocking another arrow. "Is it okay if I try another shot?"

"Go ahead--the prop department has millions of training arrows, so shoot all you like." Brock replied.

Dawn watched as Noelle's second arrow landed on the second white ring. "Remember--relax and focus on the target. Picture it flying to the bullseye."

Noelle nodded. "I'm gonna try and hit the bullseye at least once before the end of the day!"

"That will definitely help with tomorrow's acting training..." Dawn smiled. "We're doing the scene towards the end of Act 1 where Princess Yumi and Fearless Storm face off in a shootout in the Golden Willow Grove--and that scene won't be as exciting if Princess Yumi can't hit the bullseye."

"I know--all the more motivation to try for a bullseye today!" Noel grinned before readying another shot.

Dawn watched Noelle's next shot land on the inner blue ring. "Wow! You're getting close!"

"Above all--relax when you shoot." Brock agreed. "There's a reason archery has long been revered as a sacred tradition in Waku..."

Noelle nodded, took a deep breath to calm herself, then readied another shot, training her eye on the small yellow dot in the center of the target.

After a few tense moments, time seemed to slow down as she fired.

Dawn and Brock watched in amazement as Noelle's arrow elegantly flew into the bullseye! "You did it!" Dawn cried, beaming proudly at the light green arrow inside the bullseye.

Noelle was just as surprised at where her arrow landed. "I DID IT! I DID IT!"

"Well done." Brock agreed as his faithful Dusk Lycanroc Rocky returned Noelle's arrows to her. "Think you can do that again?"

"Yeah!" Noelle smiled before eagerly nocking another arrow.

Brock smiled as Noelle's second bullseye attempt made its mark. "Very good! Remember what it feels like when you do hit the bullseye. This will help keep nerves at bay when you shoot for real."

"Above all, just pretend we're the only ones with you when you do it opening night." Dawn suggested. "Then you'll really wow the audience opening night."

"Thanks..." Noel smiled before preparing another shot. "I think I'm ready to try shooting onstage tomorrow!"

Last edited:
Episode 21: Taking the First Shot Onstage

The station's large and majestic theater hummed with activity as the Niji Troupe convened for rehearsal the next morning. "Remember--focus on your target, and relax." Brock reminded Noelle as the group arrived onstage with their scripts. The weapons crew was nearby, prepping some ornate prop bows for the shootout scene.

"Any suggestions as to how to play Princess Yumi here?" Noelle asked.

"When I played her the last time we put on this play, I chose to play her as the sheltered lady who doesn't know much of the martial world." Dawn explained. "The goal here is some comedy off of your nervousness, so you may choose to play her as book smart, but not as street-smart--a foil to Brock's character."

"As opposed to Princess Yumi, who's lived in a castle all her life, my character, Reiya is an arrow-slinging street-smart hero who happens to know a thing or two about music--so he is practically a walking database of heroes and villains of the martial world." Brock explained. "You don't want to be totally oblivious to who Fearless Storm is, but you don't really know much about him, and maybe one or two of those so called facts may just be rumors, or flat out incorrect. This is a comical scene leading up to the shootout, so the goal is to make the audience laugh a little--especially when we see Fearless Storm for the first time."

A brown haired boy approached Brock some moments later. "How's this for something like a costume, Brock?" he asked, striking a powerful pose and making a black and gold thunderbolt print scarf flutter in the air conditioning. "Is this fearless enough?"

"I'd say that will make for a wonderful temporary costume, Dustin." Rona assured the boy as she approached the group. "Remember, you're not a truly 'evil' character--just someone who is proud of who he is, and especially not expecting to be beaten by a girl who is surprisingly sure of herself."

"Okay, so less 'bad', and more 'prideful'...I can probably do a comical bad guy like this!" Dustin smiled.

"For now, just be waiting at stage left while we go over the scene leading up to your entrance, okay?" Rona replied.

"Got it! I'll just study my script a bit more." Dustin called before hurrying off towards stage left.

Rona next addressed the group. "Now then...let go over the scene where Princess Yumi is mulling over her challenge, and Reiya tries to assure her that she can take on anyone. Remember, while this is a comical scene, it also foreshadows Princess Yumi's potential as a heroine, okay?"

"Right!" the group chorused.

"Remember, when the lights come up on you guys, you're not running--briskly walking at the most." Rona explained. "Remember the walking exercise we did in an earlier rehearsal? This entrance should tell the audience a little about your character, and how they are feeling right now at this stage in the play, without saying a word."

"So I should still have some royal grace, but a little speed to signal I am nervous?" Noelle asked.

"That's one way you can try it." Rona replied. "Just remember that you don't want to run--you still want to retain a graceful and elegant-looking walk."

She smiled as Noelle elegantly jogged to join the group. "Yes, just like that!"

Once she gave the cue to begin, she watched the group make their way onto the stage. "Are you sure my own bow skills will be enough to beat this...Fearless Storm?" Noelle asked Dawn as the group made their way to their places for the scene.

"I'm sure you will, Yumi-sama." Dawn assured Noelle in character. "If you can best any of the royal archers, you may have a chance against any of the martial world's best shots!"

"Have you HEARD some of the stories they tell about some of the archers of the martial world???" Noelle gasped in feigned terror, making Rona chuckle a little. "I would have to train for YEARS to even be their equals!"

"Peace, Your Grace--many of these archers are all bark and no bite." Brock assured Noelle in character. "Fearless Storm may be renowned for striking faster than lightning, but his confidence may be a double edged sword. He is a young hero, and isn't quite used to the ways of the martial world yet. This is a prime opportunity to show him that you can't even underestimate royalty in the martial world."

"Don't let the legend of a fighter intimidate you--know thy enemy and know them well." Ash agreed. "So long as you know what you're up against, you should do well against Fearless Storm..."

"But I DO know what I am up against!" Noelle protested. "I'm up against the son of the Golden Storm Clan, who are renowned for their speed and power! Their bows are said to never miss, even if the target is a thousand miles away!"

"What is said in a book and real world experience are two very different things, milady." Dawn replied. "If you have traveled through the martial world like our companions have, you would know that abilities are often exaggerated to intimidate world be challengers."

"Besides, running away in terror would be unbecoming of royalty." May agreed. "You want to show your people--that you will one day rule--that you are unafraid of any evil that may assail your kingdom."

Noelle pondered what May had said for a moment. "You're right--I can't run away like a scared Buneary! When dark days fall on my future realm, the people will look to me as someone to stand against evil--and I cannot do that if I flee from even the weakest of foes. So let us continue onward to the grove, and show this Fearless Storm the power of a royal bow!"

"All right, and scene!" Rona smiled before gently ushering Dustin away for a moment. "First of all, nicely done on that feigned terror, Noelle!..."

Last edited:
Episode 22: Best Friends Make Their Debut

"Ready to go?" Dawn--now in a beautiful purple costume with lavender and silver trim, asked as Noelle emerged from the dressing area in an ornate magenta, orange, and gold Wakunese princess costume, complete with a matching pink headdress.

"Yeah..." Noelle agreed. "Even though there was some confusion over whether to use elemental martial titles or Wakunese names for the characters, I'm glad we went with elemental titles after all--Pearl Moon."

"Hopefully the next play makes it clearer how the characters are supposed to be named." Dawn agreed before embracing Noelle.

"Yeah--Scarlet Fire does have a ring to it!" Ash smiled as he emerged in a red orange and gold costume that evoked fire.

The gentle twangs of a vina tuning got Noelle's attention. "Oh, Brock, you look great!" she smiled as Brock emerged in an orange green and gold costume with rose designs, carefully tuning a well loved vina.

"Thanks--ready to try out your archery skills for real?" Brock asked. "Just remember to relax during every part of the shot, just like we did in all those practice sessions."

Noelle nodded before accepting an ornate bow from a crew member. "I'll do my best to power past the nerves and remember what we went over, Master Brock. Or should I say, Master Emerald Rose?"

"Master Emerald Rose sounds cool, actually." Brock admitted as he slipped on his vina fingerpicks.

Misty emerged in a pale blue costume with subtle green trim, with May not far behind in a purple, pale green and gold costume, and Serena in a shimmery gold costume. "Everyone's here...good!"

The lights flashing the five minute warning snapped her to attention. "It's time--so let's have Noelle join in our preshow good luck cheer!"

Chees filled the wings as the group, including Noelle, laid their hands on top of each other. "Shimmering! Sparkling! Light! Go, Ka-ga-YOU!!!" the group cheered as they separated their hands...

---------

"Are you sure my own bow skills will be enough to beat this...Fearless Storm?" Noelle asked Dawn as the group made their way onstage some time later.

"I'm sure you will, Yumi-sama." Dawn assured Noelle. "If you can best any of the royal archers, you may have a chance against any of the martial world's best shots!"

"Have you HEARD some of the stories they tell about some of the archers of the martial world???" Noelle gasped in feigned terror, making laughter fill the theater. "I would have to train for YEARS to even be their equals!"

"Peace, Your Grace--many of these archers are all bark and no bite." Brock assured Noelle. "Fearless Storm may be renowned for striking faster than lightning, but his confidence may be a double edged sword. He is a young hero, and isn't quite used to the ways of the martial world yet. This is a prime opportunity to show him that you can't even underestimate royalty in the martial world."

"Don't let the legend of a fighter intimidate you--know thy enemy and know them well." Ash agreed. "So long as you know what you're up against, you should do well against Fearless Storm..."

"But I DO know what I am up against!" Noelle protested. "I'm up against the son of the Golden Storm Clan, who are renowned for their speed and power! Their bows are said to never miss, even if the target is a thousand miles away!" More laughter went up at this.

"What is said in a book and real world experience are two very different things, milady." Dawn replied as the laughter quieted. "If you have traveled through the martial world like our companions have, you would know that abilities are often exaggerated to intimidate world be challengers."

"Besides, running away in terror would be unbecoming of royalty." May agreed. "You want to show your people--that you will one day rule--that you are unafraid of any evil that may assail your kingdom."

Noelle pondered what May had said for a moment as the orchestra started a hopeful melody. "You're right--I can't run away like a scared Buneary! When dark days fall on my future realm, the people will look to me as someone to stand against evil--and I cannot do that if I flee from even the weakest of foes. So let us continue onward to the grove, and show this Fearless Storm the power of a royal bow!"

With that, she confidently led the others offstage as the lights went down, and the orchestra played a majestic interlude...

---------

The lights came up on a beautiful green forest grove decorated in flowers. "Hello?" Noelle called as she arrived onstage with the others. "I come to accept your challenge of an archery contest..."

...Let us pluck and wear
Chrysanthemum blooms
That a summer of eternal youth
Should last forever!
Dustin--now in a majestic black and gold costume with thunderbolt designs--sang as he arrived onstage from stage left. "Good day, milady--are these your champions who will be competing against me?"

Noelle was unfazed. "No...I have no need of champions. I plan to compete against you myself."

"Very well then..." Dustin replied, snapping to reveal a target on a prop tree. "Your challenge is to hit the target I have hung on that tree over there at least once. We will each have three attempts to do this. If you score higher than me, I and the rest of the Golden Storm Clan will recognize you as a Queen of the Bow, and worthy to learn our electrifying shot should you so choose."

"Your proposed rules are fair, Fearless Storm." Noelle replied. "How far shall we shoot from?"

Dustin pantomimed drawing a line in some imagined grass. "Is this acceptable, milady?"

Noelle studied the distance to the target from the imagined line. That shouldn't be too hard--it's the same distance the targets at the archery practice range are...

She addressed Dustin again. "That will be fine."

"If I may, milady, I would like to judge this archery contest, and make sure everyone shoots fairly." Brock offered.

Noelle nodded. "Emerald Rose-san will judge our competition." she explained to Dustin. "He knows much of the way of the bow, so he should be able to judge fairly..."

Episode 23: The Emerald Song Among the Flower Branches

"Noelle did great in the lead!" Dawn smiled as the caravan continued on its way some days later. "She says thank you for your drawing of Princess Yumi's costume, by the way." she assured Ash as he joined the others in the common room.

"Aw, it was nothing..." Ash replied. "I was just inspired to draw my version of it after seeing a picture of it."

He glanced up at the map of Kanto on the wall. "From here, we're on our way to Flower Branch Station--where we will perform our next play--and then we'll arrive in Viridian City."

"Well, before that, we need to focus on the play we're doing at Flower Branch Station--'Song of the Righteous Martial Arts'." Brock assured Ash. "I'm looking forward to actually writing a melody for the song that drives the story..."

"Well done on getting the lead role, by the way." May interjected. "This is your chance to show off your vocal ability, and flaunt that powerful tenor a little bit!"

"Yeah, everyone knows its you when you sing for promos!" Dawn agreed. "You'll make a perfect Emerald Song!"

"Based on what I understand of the story..." Serena mused as she found her script in her bag. "The show tells the story of Emerald Song--Brock's role--a traveling storyteller seeking to write an epic song cycle about as many of the martial world's noble sects as he can. But one of his companions, Jade Sky--May's role--can't help but notice that every time they visit a sect, the Shadow Arbok Sect attacks, so the song is looking less like the history of the noble sects and more like how they drove out the Shadow Arbok Sect from taking over the noble sect. Golden Sunrise--my role, and another companion, agrees, finding the Shadow Arbok Sect's ambitions very strange for a small evil sect that was only recently founded. It turns out that the song may be key to saving the martial world!"

"The weird part is, there's no melody for the song in question in the script, nor do the production notes suggest one..." Misty interjected as she showed the group the production notes in her copy of the script. "The only thing we have to go on is that the sung interludes should be 'heroic in character, but not comical'."

"There's no names for the sects in the script, so Rona's idea to have them change every show is brilliant solution." Brock agreed. "So it'll be worth your time to come see the play multiple times."

He turned business-like again. "Since I have lyrics here in the script, but no tune, once we're done here, I'll settle in the music wagon with my guitar and try to come up with a melody for the lyrics in the script."

"Bb would be a little hard to play on guitar..." Serena remembered.

"Not with a capo, it's not." Brock explained. "I can use my easy open Bb fingering based on the A major shape, or just stick a capo on the first fret and play in A to easily play in Bb--so something Zelda-esque is no trouble at all with some creative fingerings or a capo."

"Come to think of it, I did pack my own guitar..." Serena mused. "So could you teach me your open Bb fingering later? I can't ever get the standard barre fingering to sound right!"

"Sure." Brock smiled. "Knowing Bb is not just for impressing an audience with the Zelda theme song--it's important if you're gonna be backing up brass instruments."

"Moving along, here..." Dawn mused, turning the conversation back to the play at hand. "When would be a good day and time to get together for a readthrough?"

"I'd probably need a few days to read the whole play and make some preliminary notes on it...so near the end of the week works for me." Misty suggested.

"Friday should be fine." Serena agreed. "That should give us all enough time to read the play over, and think about how our roles fit in it."

"That, and give us a chance to talk with the crew on any music, dancing, fights, and acrobatics the rest of us need to do." Ash suggested. "Maybe ask Fara if she wants to sit in on the readthrough? It could inspire her and the other crew Rotoms to make sets for dojos and training grounds..."

"Every dojo is as unique as the sect or school that trains in it." Misty agreed. "Since my character is more ice-based, I may ask Rona if I need to do any ice skating for this play."

"You can ice skate?" May was impressed.

Misty nodded. "Granted, I'm not Pokelympics level good, but I can at least skate well enough should the ice rink come out for a play."

"So, our schedule for the week..." Dawn began. "Brock brainstorms a tune for the song that drives the play's story, we all read the play and make some preliminary notes for the readthrough Friday. We all talk with the crew about acts and feats for this play, and invite Fara to our readthrough, and maybe get measured for our costumes."

"Costume measurements won't happen until we reach the station's theater and we get set up." Serena reminded Dawn. "I am looking forward to performing in the Flower Branch Theater, though..."

"Brock singing some Cheri blossoms into existence over some real flowers should really sell the fantasy!" Ash smiled as the group got up to go their separate ways.

Brock just chuckled at Ash's excitement. "At any rate, read over the play, think about your role in it, and come prepared with questions for Friday's readthrough." Cheers filled the air as the group departed...

Episode 24: Reading Through the Song

"Okay, everyone..." Brock began as the group gathered to read through the script of "Song of the Righteous Martial Arts" a few days later. "Is there anything you don't understand about your role, or don't understand about the play overall?"

When no one said anything, Brock went on "Before we jump into a scene by scene breakdown, let's review the play's basic plot. The show tells the story of Emerald Song--my role--a traveling storyteller seeking to write an epic song cycle about as many of the martial world's noble sects as he can. But one of his companions, Jade Sky--May's role--can't help but notice that every time they visit a sect, the Shadow Arbok Sect attacks, so the song is looking less like the history of the noble sects and more like how they drove out the Shadow Arbok Sect from taking over the noble sect. Golden Sunrise, another companion and Serena's role, agrees, finding the Shadow Arbok Sect's ambitions very strange for a small evil sect that was only recently founded."

He grinned as he intoned "It turns out that the song may be key to saving the martial world!"

"What are we going to do about all the sects we visit?" May wondered as she paged through the script. "Do we use the names in the script, or are they going to change every show?"

"Rona says they are changing every show--and I plan to tweak the song that drives the show accordingly." Brock assured May. "So maybe we should take a few minutes to brainstorm noble sect name ideas. Once we have a big enough list, I'll send it off for Rona's okay. What gets approved is the master list of names we'll draw from. The more names, the better!"

"The only rules being we can't visit the same sect for two shows in a row..." Ash suggested.

"...and if we do use a sect name again, it can't be in the same place." Misty suggested.

"Both fair rules." Brock replied before finding some blank paper and a pencil to write with. "Does anyone want to write name ideas down, or should I do it?"

"I'll do it!" Dawn volunteered. "I'm right here at the table, so writing it should be no problem."

May passed down the paper and pencil in Dawn's direction. "Now--whatever names you suggest will also inform what I'm performing." Brock explained before finding a familiar black acoustic-electric guitar and starting the tuning process. "So I'll add on one more rule--include a little bit of a backstory for each sect, if you can. This will give me some ideas for a verse about your sect. If you can't think of anything, I'll improvise something during the show."

Ash smiled. "It's always nice to see the guitar again..."

"Thought I'd bring it along to get you guys' feedback on the sect verses we all create." Brock replied as he fine tuned the high E string. "So depending on what you come up with for a backstory about a sect, I'll perform a verse--or part of a verse, if I can't think of anything--that may work."

"Then I'll start things off!" Dawn volunteered as she wrote down her idea. "How about the Way of the Golden Summer? They focus on light ki based martial arts, evoking the summer sun."

Brock nodded in approval as he found the D chord he needed to start on. What is there to be said of a golden summer,
When there is no cloud in the sky...
he sang over some soft chords.

"Not a bad start, there!" May smiled.

"I'll think of a way to finish it later, but that was the first thing to come to mind." Brock admitted before finding his way back to the D chord again. "Who's next?"

Misty thought for a moment. "The White Rose School, maybe? I can think of several different ways a verse could go, given a white rose's many meanings."

Brock just smiled as he started his introduction in D again. Of all the flowers that bloom in the garden,
The white rose is loyal, faithful, and true,
No matter what the journey of life may bring,
She will be true to you, always...

Serena led the applause. "That was beautiful!"

"Yeah, we've gotta have that one somewhere in every show!" Dawn agreed as she waited to see who else would make a suggestion.

"Well, keep in mind these are just preliminary ideas." Brock explained. "I'll refine them and fine tune them after we get a Rona approved list built."

"Okay...what would a song about a Noble Rainbow Sect be about?" Ash challenged. "They can use all the colors of ki to battle evil, in many different ways!"

A smile formed on Brock's face as his starting chord changed from D to Bb, to knowing giggles from the others. After kicking off a heroic Zelda-esque melody, he sang The many colors of a noble rainbow!
Uniting to drive the darkness away!
The many colors of a noble rainbow,
Will unite to bring us a brand new day!

Ash seemed the most excited as the others applauded. "Yes! Yes! My kind of song!"

"Keep the ideas coming, everyone--we'll keep brainstorming and I'll keep singing until we can't think of any more." Brock assured the others before re-forming another D chord. "Let's keep going..."

"For Misty--the Holy Rain School!" May suggested. "Can't think of a backstory at the moment, so I'll let you work your musical magic!"

Brock nodded as he started a harp-like melody that evoked rain. A divine rain falls from heaven,
To heal and renew the land... he sang.
Let darkness and evil be washed away,
Against the light they cannot stand!

More applause filled the room at this. "This is fun!" Dawn smiled as she wrote down May's suggestion. "I can't wait to see how many sects and schools we create!"

"And the songs Brock thinks up for all of them!" Misty agreed as she watched Brock retune for the first time of the session...

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom