• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

EVERYONE: Pokemon: The Song of Jewels

@Tophat Dragoneye; @The Imaginatrix;

Episode 48: "Intermission! A review from the Nutpea gallery!"

As the lights came up for intermission, Hibiki stretched in her seat. "Okay....does anyone need to use the potty before the second act starts?"

[Ooh, I do!] Fuka groaned as he squirmed in his seat.

"Come on..." Hibiki scooped Fuka in her arms and carried him to the closest bathroom.

Satomi, meanwhile, nudged Raku. [What do you think so far?] she asked.

[I dunno how Falco and Joanna are gonna figure out the case when the Young Fletchinders know no more than they do.] Raku mused. [The guy they're looking for is dead as a doornail!]

[I will admit, a harmonica stands in for bagpipes very nicely when it plays "Amazing Grace"] Hinata grinned.

Terra pictured Brock, in full Highland attire, playing bagpipes and burst out laughing. [That mental image is just too funny!] she wheezed as Hibiki and Fuka returned.

[Huh?] Fuka asked.

[Oh, Terra imagined Daddy playing bagpipes and thought it was funny.] Emi explained as Terra continued laughing.

"All right, breathe, Miss Giggle-mon." Hibiki assured Terra. Terra just wiped a tear from her eye as she let a few last chuckles escape before composing herself.

[What do you think's gonna happen next, Mama?] Fuka asked, changing the subject.

Hibiki thought for a moment. "Maybe their person of interest isn't actually dead..."

[Huh?] the Pokemon gasped.

[Hibiki's right--in some Falco Dolan mysteries, a dead person of interest isn't actually dead, but alive, well, and hidden somewhere where the bad guys can't find him.] Satomi explained.

[So what if that's happened here?] Raku wondered.

"That's possible--and if true, we'll see him in Act 2." Hibiki agreed. "Another possibility is the bad guys simply kidnapped the man and made it appear he was dead to throw Falco off their trail."

[A red Goldeen.] Satomi agreed.

[I'm more interested in the Persian's Eye...] Mizuchi interjected. [What is so special about that gem?]

"Well, we know it doesn't have magical power..." Hibiki mused, to some "aw"s from the younger Pokemon. "We know Queen Elencia wants to put it up for auction in hopes of building her husband another palace."

[But doesn't a queen have enough riches to build it herself?] Raku asked.

[You may be onto something, Raku...] Satomi smiled. [I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest the stolen Persian's eye and the dead person of interest are connected...remember this part of the first act?] The ruby on her forehead glowed, projecting part of a scene of Act 1 before the group:

The actress gives Brock a crumpled piece of paper. After looking it over for a moment, he muses "All right, so he was last seen at the Ruby Lord tavern, under the pretense of meeting a business associate." The actress nods to confirm his deduction.

"The question is, could this have been a cover for something more sinister?" Wendy muses.

"If it was, what was the meeting a cover for, and who orchestrated the plot?" Brock adds.

"I just want him home--preferably alive." the actress sobs. "Or if he is dead, who killed him and why."

"I will agree with Joanna that all of this is a cover." Hibiki predicted. "However, Falco brings up a valid point as well."

[What if Her Majesty doesn't really want to sell it, but the jewel is involved in some kind of plot?] Mizuchi suggests, her head spinning with ideas. [What if an evil team is forcing the queen to do this on pain of something terrible happening to both her and the person of interest?]

[Just how many spy movies do you watch a day?] Hinata was not amused by Mizuchi's fanciful second act prediction.

[Some Falco stories are like that, but...] Terra started.

"Here's an idea for you: What if the bad guys are luring Falco and Joanna into a trap?" Hibiki suggested.

The Pokemon shuddered at this possibility. [Yeah--what if they want to shake Falco and Joanna off the trail by tying them up somewhere, then escaping while they're busy trying to get out?] Hinata was the first to run with Hibiki's suggestion.

[And on top of that, a train's coming!] Emi suggested.

Terra, however, wasn't so sure Emi's scenario would work onstage. [How would they fit a train in here?]

"Well, someone could blow a train whistle to mimic a train coming..." Hibiki suggested. "They could just pretend a train is there."

The lights flashing the five minute warning got Mizuchi's attention. [The second act is gonna start soon!]

Hibiki smiled as she cradled Fuka in her arms--were any of their predictions going to come true? Or did the second act have a surprise in store not even she could think of?

Relax, Hibiki--however the second act plays out, you're in for a ride. she told herself. Brock, Wendy, and the rest of the cast have worked hard to put this on for you, and you'll find out what happens soon enough!

Episode 49: "PokeTheater! Wendy as Joanna! Brock as Falco Dolan!" (part 2)

Some tense music filled the air as the lights came up on Brock, Wendy, and an actress playing Officer Jenny in a conference room. "We have tried to interview the deceased's wife, but she is very clearly distraught by all of this." the actress began.

"Understandably so--no one deserves to die like this." Wendy mused.

"Here is what we know about the deceased's background and some observations from the scene of the crime..." the actress went on as she consulted some prop papers. "The deceased was known to always carry a briefcase with him at all times, but one was not found at the crime scene. We believe it may have been washed away, although other options have not yet been ruled out."

"Even if one were found at the scene, what are some potential things he may have carried inside?" Brock asked. "Jewelry, perhaps?"

"What makes you think that, Falco?" Wendy asked.

The actress' eyes lit up. "You may be onto something, Falco...the lab determined there was a type of polishing powder on his jacket, and an old issue of a jeweler's trade magazine was found in one pocket. We also know that his last known place of employment was Kara, the auction house downtown."

"...where the Persian's Eye was due to go on the auction block!" Brock replied confidently.

"That's right! The news did say Kara was in charge of the auction!" Wendy added.

Brock got up from the table. "Based on the deceased's background from the police report..." he smiled at the Officer Jenny actress. "which I owe you my deepest thanks for allowing me to read--he was a good husband, and father to two little girls."

"But why would a good person go bad? That 's what I don't get." Wendy mused.

"With the economy the way it is, it is hard enough to feed one person, so you can imagine the difficulty feeding four." Brock explained. "It is entirely possible that our deceased took the emerald to sell it himself. The person of interest at the tavern was an interested buyer--and offered enough money to easily feed a family of four, if not more."

"That makes sense!" the Officer Jenny actress smiled.

"You say that all options are on the table at this point." Brock went on. "But let me suggest another possibility. The financial stress and high emotions that come with it drove the deceased to suicide."

"Well, we didn't find a suicide note, but that would possibly explain why we also found a life insurance policy at the scene..." the actress replied. "It was worth just as much, if not more, than any attempt to sell the emerald."

She got up and shook Brock's hand. "Falco, Joanna, you both brought up some thought provoking questions and some intriguing leads--please keep us posted if you find anything more."

"We will, Officer!" Wendy smiled as the lights went down over a tense stinger.

The lights came up on a city street, where Wendy was thinking hard on a park bench with Brock looking on. "Our person of interest--dead as a doornail it seems...the Persian's Eye nowhere to be found...police are baffled...we've found a few promising leads....but the more I think about it, I keep coming back to the man our person of interest was going to meet--who is he, and why does--or did--he want the Persian's Eye?" she mused.

"Then I guess our next step would be to turn our focus on him." Brock replied before starting offstage. "Let's go home and talk more over dinner."

"Good idea!" Wendy got up from the bench and was about to follow Brock offstage before a child's voice calling got their attention. "Huh?"

A crowd of the Young Fletchinders dashed in the scene, with two of them carrying a box that was labeled "Kloose and Eviedense." "Falco, Joanna, we found some clues!" a girl cried.

"Clues?" Brock asked as the box was set down before him.

"Yeah, Officer Jenny let us help look for clues, and she had no idea what to do with this stuff, so she said to ask you." a boy breathlessly explained.

"Let's take a look, then, shall we?" With that, he told the children "Remember, any of the items in here could be red Goldeens, but for now, we will go on good faith that they will help our investigation."

Wendy dug out a button and examined it. "Button from a man's suit, stained..."

She gasped. "There's actually a gun in here!"

Brock quickly shooed the children away. "I am not trained to handle firearms, so I will leave this in the box for an expert to examine. I don't know if it is loaded or not, but treat it as if it is loaded--very carefully!"

"Right!" the children replied before hurrying off with the box.

Wendy then sniffed the air. "That's odd...do you smell peppermint out here?"

"Yeah..." Brock feigned a dreamy yawn. "It...smells...delicious..."

"And I'm feeling tired....too..." Wendy feigned a yawn before both of them slumped to the ground, "asleep", to a tense stinger and gasps from the audience.

After a few tense moments, the lights came back up on Brock and Wendy bound together in rope. "I'd say we're fit to be tied..." Brock noted, to some laughter as Wendy worked herself free.

"Just a little more..." Wendy finished untying herself. "There! I knew all those knot tying lessons in my scouting days would come in handy one day!"

Nervous laughter went up as she hurried over and untied Brock. "Rope's never stopped us before!" he grinned as he stood up.

"And it certainly isn't the first time we've been tied up." Wendy grinned as she kicked the rope away.

"Save the reminiscing for later." Brock cautioned. "It IS the first time we've been affected by sleeping gas, and then tied up--I have a feeling someone wanted to warn us away from here."

The two of them gasped and said the true culprit's name together. "The Phantom Thief, Aisha Moreno!" A "dun-dun-dun" and tense harmonica riff punctuated the name as the lights went down....

Episode 50: "PokeTheater! Wendy as Joanna! Brock as Falco Dolan!" (part 3)

"Is someone there?" a familiar voice asked as Brock and Wendy calmed themselves down from their feigned panic.

"Who's there?" Wendy asked.

The lights expanded to include a man also struggling to get free from ropes, to some relieved applause. "My name is Leon Belmonte, jeweler and gemologist extraordinaire....although how I got here from the tavern, I don't know...I'm sure my beloved Perla is worried sick about me..."

"Worse, she actually believes you are dead--and quite frankly, we did too until we wound up here." Brock explains.

The man playing Leon looks Brock up and down for a moment. "I can't believe it...the legendary Falco Dolan, captured like this?"

"I know Aisha all too well." Brock replies. "Normally she works for the highest bidder, but she is not afraid to strike out on her own. Normally, she uses a sweet mist to knock people out, but is not above flat out killing people if her client demands it or she deems it necessary. She has charisma, and is not afraid to flaunt it, as well.

"She has to be hiding here, I just know it!" Wendy notes.

"All right, Aisha...the game is up!" Brock announces. "You've got nowhere to go now...seems the greatest thief in the world is off to see the inside of a jail cell!"

Some soft laughter fills the air as a black haired girl in a tight navy blue leotard-like costume and beret-like hat appears in a puff of smoke. "It seems you've found me again, Sharp-Eyes...but now the greatest thief in the world has the greatest jewel...the Persian's Eye."

[Sharp-Eyes?] Raku asked, confused.

[In stories where Aisha Moreno is the villain, Sharp-Eyes is Aisha's nickname for Falco.] Hinata explained. [It's a reference to his keen eye for detail.]

"But I thought Leon stole the jewel!" Wendy gasps.

"He didn't--I convinced him to sell it to a non-existent buyer, while was all a ruse for him to bring me the Persian's Eye directly." the actress playing Aisha explained. "Once I had the Persian's Eye, I had no further use for him, so I used some of my famous sleeping mist to bring him here for later--it helped that his deep sleep fooled his family, his friends, the police, and even you, into believing he was dead as a doornail!"

"As you can plainly see, I am very much alive!" the actor playing Leon agreed as Wendy untied him.

"But now that I have no further use for him--or for you two..." Gasps go up as Aisha draws a prop dagger and approaches Brock with it. "I'll just have to rub you three out so you can't tell anyone the truth! The Persian's Eye will be mine, and I will go down in history as the greatest thief of all time!!!"

"Oh yeah?" Brock manages to kick Aisha in the knee, making her drop the prop dagger in surprise. "Take the knife and go!" he instructs Wendy. "Alert Officer Jenny, and quickly, while I deal with Aisha!"

"Got it!" Wendy hurries offstage as the lights go down and the standard Falco Dolan "fight" music plays over the sound effects of punching, kicking, and Brock's war cries as he performs a number of (unseen) kung fu moves.

[Are those cries for real???] Mizuchi gasps. [I didn't know Lovebird knew karate!]

[Oh, he has studied for a few years now--up to a green belt in kung fu] Terra smiled. [You don't want to get in his way when he needs to fight.]

[Granted, he's just pretending, since this is a play, but he's always told us that knowing how to do something for real makes it more convincing when you do it onstage.] Hinata explained.

"That's pretty clever..." Hibiki grinned as back onstage, the actress playing Officer Jenny "arrested" the actress playing Aisha.

"Falco, Joanna, you were very brave to take on Aisha like that--engaging someone with a knife is very dangerous to the average person." the Officer Jenny actress warned as the actor playing Leon and the actress playing Perla joyfully reunited nearby.

"Oh, Leon!" the actress playing Perla smiled. "I was told you were dead!"

"Oh no...as you can see, my love, I'm still very much alive..." the actor playing Leon replied as the actress playing Aisha was led away. "And..." He showed everyone present a large prop emerald, making awed gasps go up onstage, and excited whispers waft through the audience. "The Persian's Eye was safe in my pocket all along--that rascally Aisha lured me into a trap under the ruse of an interested buyer."

"Then, once you had arrived at the Ruby Lord, she drugged you using her famous sleeping mist and took you down the river to her hideout, making sure to throw an empty suitcase that resembled your briefcase into the river to make it appear you had died." Wendy explained. "It fooled Perla, the police, and for a while, even us."

"Then, once she spotted us roaming around the vicinity of her hideout, she drugged us and took us there as well, with the intention of killing all three of us." Brock concluded.

"You were very brave to fight her like you did." the actor playing Leon agreed. "Although I never knew you knew an inkling of martial arts."

"Second dan black belt, kung fu." Brock grinned before turning to Wendy. "Well, Joanna...the city has one less thief skulking the streets now..."

"And the Persian's Eye can now go to a legitimate buyer, as per Queen Elencia's wishes." the actor playing Leon agreed.

"If only Her Majesty could hear of you two's courage and bravery..." the actress playing Perla smiled. "She'd award you with medallions of valor in a heartbeat!"

"The only medallions I want to see right now are meat medallions..." Wendy grinned, making relieved laughter fill the stage.

"Then we'll be on our way home, then..." Brock mused as he started offstage. "But if any other would-be criminal mind wishes to cause trouble--they will not escape the eyes of Falco Dolan!" With that, the lights blinked off to end the play.

"YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!" the audience roared over the Falco Dolan theme as the lights came up for the curtain call...

Episode 51: "Detective Brock and Melanie's tears!"

"I can't believe it...my first rose button!" Wendy grinned as she admired the red rose button in her hands. I've waited so long to earn one of these.... she thought as she turned the button back and forth in her hands, making it glint in the lights of the Pokemon Center. and here it is...my first rose button!

"Remember what the director said?" Brock reminded Wendy as the three friends got ready for bed. "You really did well in playing off of me and conveying the deep respect and camaraderie Joanna has for Falco."

"At the same time, I felt you also did well portraying her vulnerability--she does know a lot, but she doesn't know everything." Hibiki added.

Then, a thought occurred to her. "I may be going out on a limb here, but I think I saw a little bit of me in your portrayal of Joanna."

"How so?" Wendy asked as she sat down on her bed and welcomed Raku in her arms.

"When Falco and Joanna discovered that the gemologist was alive and well, I could sense the fear in your voice when you said your line--the fear of getting caught." Hibiki explained before hanging her head. "A fear I know all too well."

"And a fear we're all going to have to deal with if we're going to survive our quest." Brock reminded the girls. "Aika is very driven, smart, cunning...and is not above manipulating others to get what she wants. Remember when she Eevee-napped Raku?"

[Don't remind me...] Raku shuddered.

"That was an emotional ploy to lure all of us into her clutches." Brock continued. "and the world is doomed if we fall into her hands."

A tense silence filled the air before Hibiki spoke up. "You know...Melanie helped the two of you get the things you needed to perform...so shouldn't you go and thank her for helping us out?"

"We'll go see her in the morning..." Brock assured Hibiki. "Who knows, we may get lucky and get treated to a concert."

The next morning...

"Melanie?" Wendy asked as the group peeked in the Gym's main foyer the next morning. "Where are you?"

"We wanted to thank you for everything." Brock explained.

"If you're looking for the boss, she's in a bit of a funk at the moment." a brown haired girl replied as she brushed some dust from a blue fedora. "Although if you wanna try and cheer her up, be my guest."

"Indy's right--ever since her favorite ring disappeared, and none of us have touched it, she's been devastated." a black haired girl in a green costume added.

Brock swallowed hard as he tried to quell the romantic euphoria willing up inside of him, ever aware of the death stare Mizuchi was giving him--if she had to spray him, all three of them would likely be kicked out of the Gym.

After breathing deep a few times, he told Indy "Will you tell Melanie I want to try and help her, in return for how she's helped us over the last few days?"

"Sure!" Indy replied before putting on her fedora again. "Come with me--I'll take you to the boss' room."

The group followed Indy through the foyer, down the hall past the main stage and some smaller stages that doubled as battle arenas, and around another corner into a large sunroom that overlooked the city. "Boss...someone's here that wants to help you find your special ring."

Melanie glanced up to see the group. "You guys...what a surprise!" she smiled as she brushed away some tears. "Forgive me for being all weepy here, but I've got a problem on my hands...."

"Well, we mainly came to tell you thank you for helping us out over the last few days..." Brock explained. "But seeing those tears, we feel that helping you in return would be better than just words."

"If you don't mind my asking, why is your ring special?" Wendy asked.

"Okay...story time." Melanie began as she motioned for the group to gather around her. "Although this is more of a history lesson than a tale of adventure." she grinned at Brock.

Once everyone was quiet, Melanie began. "A long time ago, Akari was just a little town, nothing like what you see today. My grandma started what eventually became the Starlites as a way to promote tourism and allow Akari to hear the latest hit tunes. As the town grew, and recordings became more commonplace, the group evolved into something like a show choir or glee club--singing classic songs and dancing."

She added as an aside. "Although what was defined as classic changed as the years passed by."

"I see..." Wendy mused.

"When the years caught up with Grandma, Mom succeeded her as the leader of the group." Melanie continued. "She always wore an onyx ring onstage for good luck. So when it was my turn to succeed her--so she could focus on a less demanding career--she gave me her ring as a passing of the torch. I continue to wear it when I go onstage too, so her good luck rubs off on me."

"Aw..." Hibiki smiled, touched at the story.

Melanie's face turned somber again. "Here's the sad part--last night, I put it in my nightstand drawer like I always do before going to bed. When I woke up today, it was gone!"

Brock thought for a moment before grinning. "So lets play detective for a minute...it didn't fall behind any walls?"

"Nope." Melanie replied.

"Didn't fall off your finger somewhere?" Hibiki suggested.

"Nope...I turned the whole Gym upside down looking for it." Melanie replied.

"Did any of your attendants somehow end up with it?" Wendy suggested.

"Nope--none of them have given me cause to believe they took it." Melanie sighed. "The Gym was locked up tight, as well--so how could someone had gotten in and taken it?"

Hibiki thought for a moment. "Perhaps the doors were all locked, but could someone had gotten in a window?"

"There's an idea..." Brock smiled before addressing Melanie. "Have you reported it being stolen?"

"Yeah--I've offered 5000 credits to whoever finds it, although no one's come forward yet and the police have no leads." Melanie mused.

"We would be willing to look around the outside of the Gym and the general vicinity." Brock offered. "Maybe another pair of eyes could catch something you didn't."

A smile formed on Melanie's face. "You'd really go to any lengths to find my ring?"

"Arceus' honor!" Wendy replied, making the three fingered scout sign to prove her point.

"T-thank you...I really don't know how to repay you!" Melanie stammered.

She suddenly caught herself as Indy returned to the room. "Or maybe I do...Indy, go round up everybody and get ready to perform--we're giving Mister Renaissance Man and friends their own private show!"

"Right!" With that, Indy rushed out as Brock and the girls were led to the main auditorium.

"Feel weird you're in the audience for a change?" Wendy grinned as the group settled into some seats near the middle.

"Not at all...I enjoy watching a good show as much as putting one on." Brock replied as Hinata, Emi, and Terra bounded into his lap.

After discussing song ideas, Melanie blew a Bb on a pitch pipe, which spurred two male attendants to sing the same note as drone-like Oh.... as a third did a bongo roll. Day-O! Day-o! Daylight come and me wan go home! Melanie sang, her powerful voice echoing through the room. Day! Me say day-o! Daylight come and me wan go home...

She then sang Work all night, till the mornin' come!

Daylight come and me wan go home... the other girls sang over the bongos, the bass singers, their clapping and the beatboxer.

Stack banana till the morning come! Melanie sang again.

Daylight come and me wan go home... came the echo.

Brock smiled as Melanie and the Starlites danced and clapped their way through the classic tropical anthem. They're good...Melanie clearly loves doing this... he thought as he watched Melanie jump and punch the air during the Lift six foot, seven foot, eight foot bunch! lines, Emi happily bouncing to the beat in his hands all the while. I promise I will pursue the thief that took her ring with that same enthusiasm!

TO BE CONTINUED...

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom