• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Theories or Headcanons you Despise

This isn't exclusive to the Pokémon fandom by any means, but I'm not really a fan of the drive to turn canon friendships into headcanon romance ships. It seems like it happens to every friendship (unless they're related or have a substantial age difference), which sort of creates the impression that friendship is worthless on its own and has to be "upgraded" to romance to be meaningful. Which is sad and just not true. I know that's not the intended message 99% of the time, but still...not my favorite type of headcanon.
I completely agree with this one, I have seen a fair share of ships that really don't have a solid foundation for them to even be plausible, Pokemon or otherwise. Honestly, I don't know why two very close characters can't just be best friends. There are already examples I have seen where two characters who formed a bond became best friends and that's it.

This isn't exclusive to the Pokémon fandom by any means, but I'm not really a fan of the drive to turn canon friendships into headcanon romance ships. It seems like it happens to every friendship (unless they're related or have a substantial age difference), which sort of creates the impression that friendship is worthless on its own and has to be "upgraded" to romance to be meaningful. Which is sad and just not true. I know that's not the intended message 99% of the time, but still...not my favorite type of headcanon.
I get what you mean. The word "shipping" in this context almost always refers to romance between character, even though the word "friendship" ends with, well, ship. Both are still relationships, but somehow, only the romantic part is taken in account for those types of things despite both contexts being perfectly valid.

Please note: The thread is from 7 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom