• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon theories

Ghost girl

Hmmm what are these creatures and do I splat them?
Reaction score
I just had to make this I have a theory about Allister that I just need to tell someone. This is for general theory discussion it can be about anything pokemon related from the anime to the games feel free to share your theories ( man I can't spell)

I've theorized for years that Venonat was originally gonna evolve into Butterfree given the similarities between their body color scheme, eyes, hands, mouths and antennae. I'm like 99.9% sure that Gamefreak planned that but changed things to make Butterfree evolve from Metapod instead because they probably thought Butterfree would appeal to folks more than Venomoth would as a regional insect.

One of my mainstay theories is a pretty common one, I gather - legendary and mythical Pokémon are not, in fact, gods, but merely very powerful and rare species that suitably impressed the local population so that they were deified. The idea of a huge, hellenic Pokémon pantheon is frankly a bit silly, not to mention the obvious disconnect between the 'lore' and your ability to capture and make these supposed divinities duel dormice (and occasionally lose to said rodents).

The one exception I might allow is Mew (as in, it actually could be the ancestor of all known Pokémon) because A: it's rarely described as being particularly powerful, and B: it's a very good realisation of a lot of those Gen 1 themes around evolution, biology and artificial life. It's also extremely well-handled in the manga - it just occasionally turns up without comment or ceremony to mess with the plot a bit. The powder is being kept very dry on that one.

One of my mainstay theories is a pretty common one, I gather - legendary and mythical Pokémon are not, in fact, gods, but merely very powerful and rare species that suitably impressed the local population so that they were deified. The idea of a huge, hellenic Pokémon pantheon is frankly a bit silly, not to mention the obvious disconnect between the 'lore' and your ability to capture and make these supposed divinities duel dormice (and occasionally lose to said rodents).
That makes sense. If they were gods, then why is anyone able to catch and control them?

The one exception I might allow is Mew (as in, it actually could be the ancestor of all known Pokémon) because A: it's rarely described as being particularly powerful, and B: it's a very good realisation of a lot of those Gen 1 themes around evolution, biology and artificial life. It's also extremely well-handled in the manga - it just occasionally turns up without comment or ceremony to mess with the plot a bit. The powder is being kept very dry on that one.

I mean I've never liked how most fans call Arceus a god or the God of Pokemon when the thing isn't invincible. I still cackle out loud when I remember how it was almost killed in the 12th Pokemon movie by what was essentially cement just because it lost its Plates. What kind of god falls victim to something so ridiculous?

I like the theory about Blue's Raticate dying after the battle on the S.S. Anne and that he was at the Pokemon Tower to pay his final respects to it. It makes so much sense because we never see his Raticate after the S.S. Anne battle.

I like the theory about Blue's Raticate dying after the battle on the S.S. Anne and that he was at the Pokemon Tower to pay his final respects to it. It makes so much sense because we never see his Raticate after the S.S. Anne battle.
Obviously the Raticate is really in the PC. After all, look at his team between the two fights:
S.S Anne Battle: Starter, Pidgeotto, Raticate, and Kadabra.
Pokemon Tower Battle: Starter, Kadabra, Pidgeotto, and Exeggcute/Gyarados/Growlithe

The Pokemon Tower Team has better Pokemon. Gyarados, Arcanine, and Exeggutor are good Pokemon. Raticate is not that great. Meant for more the early game.

Obviously the Raticate is really in the PC. After all, look at his team between the two fights:
Pokemon Tower Battle: Starter, Kadabra, Pidgeotto, and Exeggcute/Gyarados/Growlithe

The Pokemon Tower Team has better Pokemon. Gyarados, Arcanine, and Exeggutor are good Pokemon. Raticate is not that great. Meant for more the early game.
Not to mention that his dialogue at the Pokémon Tower doesn't make much sense if he were paying respect to his Raticate.
Before battle
"Hey, <player>! What brings you here? Your Pokémon don't look dead! I can at least make them faint! Let's go, pal!"

Being defeated
"What? You stinker! I took it easy on you too!"

After being defeated
"How's your Pokédex coming, pal? I just caught a Cubone! I can't find the grown-up Marowak yet! I doubt there are any left! Well I better get going! I've got a lot to accomplish, pal! Smell ya later!"
Does this sound like something a person grieving over his deceased pet would say? I'd say no, even if he were trying to hide his grief. Plus, it also shows that Blue has Pokémon that he doesn't use on his team as neither Cubone or Marowak make an appearance.

I don't know too many fan theories but I like the one about how Gengar might be the spirit of a dead Clefable or at least based on the same design when Game Freak originally created it.

Isn't this kind of nitpicky? The point of the thread is to mention favorite fan theories and very few of them can actually be refuted with solid facts, so it seems wrong to try and pick apart theories that nobody other than Game Freak's staff know the truth about.

I don't know too many fan theories but I like the one about how Gengar might be the spirit of a dead Clefable or at least based on the same design when Game Freak originally created it.
Well, the last part got kinda killed by that one picture that had a proto-Gengar and a proto-Clefairy (Clefable?) on it.

Isn't this kind of nitpicky? The point of the thread is to mention favorite fan theories and very few of them can actually be refuted with solid facts, so it seems wrong to try and pick apart theories that nobody other than Game Freak's staff know the truth about.
I mean, when you make a comment like:
It makes so much sense because we never see his Raticate after the S.S. Anne battle.
You're kinda opening yourself up to people looking into the logic of the theory. Plus, this is a discussion forum, and naturally some theories are going to be divisive and spark discussion, including debate.

Last edited:
My theory is that Pokemon reproduction doesn't involve sex, romance or families, and newborn Pokemon are expected to survive on their own. My reasoing here:
I think this is one of those things that can only be solved with headcanons. But as far as evidence goes:
  • Across the franchise, there have been examples of "Pokemon raising their child" as well as "Eggs being found randomly", but the latter is way more common. This leads me to believe that breeding is just an instinct to keep the species alive and is possibly unrelated to Pokémon falling in love and wanting to raise families (with a few exceptions). Eggs and baby Pokemon can usually survive on their own without parents.
  • In the games, breeding only happens in specific locations, and some smells and objects can influence breeding. Also, some genderless Pokemon can breed. Therefore, I doubt breeding involves sex, and is more the cause of smells amplifying a Pokemon's "breeding energy" that makes it combine with its partner's, magically forming an egg without physical contact.
  • If the above point is true, then mass breeding isn't a bad thing, since Pokemon are more than glad to give their "breeding energy" as many times as possible in order to assure the species' survival. And if Point 1 is true, mass releasing isn't bad either because those Pokemon are capable of surviving in the wild and its parents have no emotional attachment to it.
  • Pokemon in the Undiscovered Egg group are able to breed (with some exceptions) but only by special methods the player can't replicate.
  • Pokemon can be made from non-Pokemon materials, but once something becomes one, it is subject to Pokemon rules. Individuals can choose whichever method feels the most efficient. It's possible that Pokemon like Sandygast had initially the Undiscovered Egg group but evolved (in the Darwinian form) to have other egg groups in order to assure survival.

Please make anatomy of tyrantrum pokemon please and tell how it creates a metal crushing bite

So I've had this theory that's been kicking around about the old "Giovanni is Ash's father" chestnut.

See, in Pokémon Live! it's stated that Ash's mother used to date Giovanni, and this is the closest any official Pokémon material has ever come to establishing a relationship between them. A lot of people think this confirms Giovanni to be Ash's absentee father, but it's worded just vaguely enough that it could be interpreted a number of ways. For example, what if Delia had another child with Giovanni before leaving him to marry the man who would become Ash's father. This, of course, means that Giovanni would have a child slightly older than Ash.

Enter Domino, the mysterious Team Rocket agent from Mewtwo Returns. She seems to be younger than the other Team Rocket members we've seen— a teenager at most. She also seems to be extremely high-ranking, and is so close to Giovanni that she is even able to get away with talking back to him. Why? Because she's his daughter.

Not only that, but Domino's facial features look suspiciously like Ash's. Therefore, it stands to reason that Domino is Giovanni's daughter from a previous marriage to Delia Ketchum, in effect making her Ash's half-sister.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom