• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Tournament/League

Which Idea do YOU prefer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Badal

What the deuce?
Reaction score
Bulbagarden Competitive Development

Hello, I was looking through the IPGL and saw that there was a lack of actual activity.

With the development of our tiering system and our own Pokémon Online Server, I figured that we should expand into being able to support a fully functional simulator league.

There are a few ideas in my head right now, quite basic, but lets see.

I personally felt that the current system of running a "gym" league wasn't particularly the best one considering the lack of activity. I have been a gym leader on the Pokémon Online Forums and its not enjoyable to be annoyed every time you go online with a battle. I figured I'd leave that as an option.

Option 1
So I was thinking, after the success of the Team Tournament last September I think, we could do something of that sort again. Except this time really make it big. We could do it with a mixture of both Wi-Fi and Simulator, allowing an inter-mingling of both.
Here's how I'm looking at it, I'm open to changes:

Tiers:
Gen 4 OU [Wi-Fi & Sim]
Gen 5 OU [Wi-Fi & Sim]
Gen 5 Little Cup [Sim]
Gen 4 UU [Wi-Fi & Sim]
Gen 4 OU Doubles [Wi-Fi OR Sim]
2 Side Metagames that can be voted on (such as Challenge Cup or 1v1 at a later date and change every season)

3 selected players can play a maximum of two metagames, to cover up for the lack of competitive players.

Selecting Players
There are two ideas I'm looking at right now:

1. A Captain Sign-Up thread shall be put up, where users who wish to be captains can sign-up. Then either the host can sort out the top signed-up players as captains or all players who signed up as captains become captains. Then there is a sign-up for players who wish to also play. There will then be an auction, where users can bid a certain number of points for players. If two captains agree they can join together in one team, but this will be reviewed by the host and the funds will not increase. Teams will be picked through the auction.
  2. Users can pick their own teams. If a team fails to get the total number of players required, they can then have an auction with remaining players and incomplete teams to pick players.

Trading:
Teams can actively trade players every round. Once a user has left a team, he cannot return to the same team until the next season.

Format:

• Depending on the number of teams that we get, there will be one league or two leagues.
  • If we have two leagues, we will first host a tournament, where the top half of the teams, are in the Upper League and the bottom half are in the Lower League. Every season [number can vary] the bottom two teams from the Upper League will get relegated to the Lower league. Also, the Top 2 teams from the lower league get promoted to the upper league.
  • In every league, each round, two teams will have to play each other. So a Gen 4 OU player will play the Gen 4 OU player from the other team. The team with the max number of wins, wins the matchcup
  • Now I'm debating on this one. Either we can have a round robin where each team plays each team OR we can have a system where matchups are decided and its a single/double elimination tournament

Prizes:
Undecided. It would be nice to have big prizes. Maybe some BulbaNews action, I really can't think of much here.

Extra:
  • I was thinking during each season, we could have a small session where non-competing players could join in and have a few battles
  • Also, we could have a small break where we have troll metagames being played by users so they can enjoy themselves.
  • Other activities such as Trades, IRC chats and other competitions would make this a more interactive tournament to join

Comments: I just realized this sounds a lot like the SPL on Smogon. Well, firstly I hope for this to be a more open event where even other non-participating users can have some fun. Aside from that, well its not that bad of an idea overall, so what if its very similar to what Smogon does, we gotta admit there's nothing wrong in learning from other websites who do good stuff. Heck, we could even have a thing where at the end of every season the winner of SPL could face off the winner of this league.

Option 2:
Expand the IPGL into the simulator and make a gym league

Maybe we could have both?

Comments and Suggestions to add on stuff or to change stuff is more than welcome

Already one step ahead of you, bro. I'll invite you to the group because you seem to have good ideas, but don't make me hate you.

Well, it sounds good, but then again, I don't want this to be a replacement to IPGL, I wouldn't mind having the expansion and this side-by-side.

If IPGL is too low-trafficked for you, what makes you think that we could support two active leagues side by side?

The need for users to constantly play matches. IPGL is a different format, a repititive one, plus it being exclusive to Wi-Fi restricts it at the moment. Another thing restricting activity in IPGL is varied rules for every gym, here a user can get away with having just one team through the tournament. That and the appearance of new ideas I think will help pull this through.

talk with the IPGL gym leaders about this. Try to work out something with them.

Yeah. I'll post this in the IPGL Dev group too, but I just posted this here to help refine/correct any changes that need to be done. Aside from that, I don't think this needs to be linked to the IPGL, considering that this is very different and the gym leaders won't necessarily have anything to do with it, but its ok if you feel we should.

EDIT: It'd be nice to get other people's opinions on this idea. It would be good for the competitive community to tell me their views on this so we can go ahead with it.

I think that this idea should be included with the IPGL after the upgrade from Gen IV to Gen V.

I really like this tho, its like haveing teams and fighting other teams basically, right?
------------------------------------------------
the trading team members might not work out too well unless theres some rules restricting how you trade the pple.
trading your team memebers might make some the member that you are trading away very angry.
this option shouldn't be allowed on a regular basis.
------------------------------------------------------
The other members of the IPGL renovation group may be able to give good ideas aswell

this could help the forum become more competative if it works out.

So you basically want Pokemon Online clans and have tournaments? I don't understand how you can't just create clans in the Social Groups and organize tournaments in the Tournament forums or on PO.

Clans are quite different. I don't like the idea of clans. It makes it seem to violent. Consider this as a "league" a league of teams, similar to the NBA, EPL, MLS, NFL, etc.

Well for one, you can't start tournaments, secondly, you can join as many teams as you want, and lastly, it has teams which were made ages ago, including users who aren't active anymore.

Also another reason why Social groups isn't such a great idea- mods won't be able to play, several mods, namely you Sublime and F-22, play competitively and we could loose 2 players if we use social groups.

EDIT: Unless the teams thing is fixed, I think Separate Tournament>Social Groups>The teams thing DCM linked.

I don't see why you can't just make new teams and why you'd lose two people if you used social groups.

Because its no fun if the users can see through the other team, the whole point is to not know what the other team's strategy is. I think having threads as a medium to host rather than the teams (You can't make more than one team iirc)is more beneficial since you can talk and stuff, it gives it the feel of a proper tournament.

Social Groups. You can set them so only members if them can view it

I always thought moderators could override that option.
Either ways... I'm thinking we could try doing this at a smaller scale maybe with 2-3 teams and see how it goes first and then implement this at a larger scale?

Yeah, we can. But you shouldn't plan on moderators cheating.
Make your teams in the team option and discussions in social groups. I don't see anything to actually do administratively on this project.

Well, its something that we need support in terms of handling and publicity. Moderator's won't cheat ._. but they might open the social group by accident and that may cause issues, etc. But anyways, If we're doing the social groups thing, then team option isn't in anyway shape or form helpful, considering you can't really host anything there.

Why would moderators do that? That would be foolish. Use social groups. /locked

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom