• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon types you've been lucky/unlucky with

Reaction score
A lot in the games is left to chance and while some types are stronger than others, sometimes we can luck out in unexpected types (often catch pokemon with correct natures, have easier time catching them, etc) compared to what 'should be'. I'll give you an example.

Grass is considered 'the weak type' but this is OPPOSITE from what I experienced in my games. I've been very lucky with them, to the point that once in Platinum my Tangrowth fought fire type elite member (and won!!!) Grass is the only type I ever did a monotype run of (and succeeded beating the champion in Ruby/Sapphire). On the other hand, Psychic types are considered overpowered but I just can't seem to make them work....
I LOVE them but have worst luck with them. And for poison types, it's even worse. One of my toxicroaks (half fighting type, dammit!) fainted from everything like a complete pansy. And for the most part, no matter how much I try to utilize poison types, I fail! But Dark type, which is notoriously fragile, seems to work well for me for some reason, in every game!

Overall, types I consider 'lucky' are:
Grass
Dark
Flying

And types I just can't make work are:
Poison
Psychic
Rock

Do you have lucky and unlucky types? Did some of them surprise you?

I've never noticed this before now, but after thinking about it... I think my most lucky type is Electric, and my most unlucky must be Flying.

In my most recent playthroughs of the Gen IV games, the very first Electabuzz I caught to evolve into Electivire was Adamant, and the Eevee I wanted to evolve into Jolteon was Modest. They ended up being HUGE powerhouses on each team even when at a disadvantage, and becoming some new favorites of mine when originally I didn't think all too much of 'em battle-wise. I also made a Light Ball Pikachu set for competitive a while back that I really didn't expect to work, but it's pulled through a lot of victories for me.

On the other hand... Flying-types have caused me a lot of grief. I really like the coverage they bring but I just have awful luck with them. I've heard so many good things about Crobat over the years, but every time I try to use one, mine seem to be really frail and I can never, ever get them to work out the way I've seen. Pidgeot is the same way. :( Gliscor may be an exception, but I think that's because I barely treat it as half Flying to begin with...

(Kudos on your lucky Tangrowth, by the way. It's such an underrated Pokemon!)

I've never noticed this before now, but after thinking about it... I think my most lucky type is Electric, and my most unlucky must be Flying.

In my most recent playthroughs of the Gen IV games, the very first Electabuzz I caught to evolve into Electivire was Adamant, and the Eevee I wanted to evolve into Jolteon was Modest. They ended up being HUGE powerhouses on each team even when at a disadvantage, and becoming some new favorites of mine when originally I didn't think all too much of 'em battle-wise. I also made a Light Ball Pikachu set for competitive a while back that I really didn't expect to work, but it's pulled through a lot of victories for me.

On the other hand... Flying-types have caused me a lot of grief. I really like the coverage they bring but I just have awful luck with them. I've heard so many good things about Crobat over the years, but every time I try to use one, mine seem to be really frail and I can never, ever get them to work out the way I've seen. Pidgeot is the same way. :( Gliscor may be an exception, but I think that's because I barely treat it as half Flying to begin with...

(Kudos on your lucky Tangrowth, by the way. It's such an underrated Pokemon!)

So I was right about there being some kind of luck, haha! :) Your observations are interesting. As I said, I was moderately lucky with electric myself but I must say, flying is far luckier for me now! It is so strange because you said it's unlucky for you! My Toucannon in Alola was my main powerhouse, absolute beast. And during my last Kalos playthrough all flying types were nothing but a joy to work with. But, curiously, I also have trouble with Crobat! But I've always attributed that to my lack of luck with Poison!
And thank you on commenting on my Tangrowth, too bad I don't have that save anymore, he was probably the best pokemon ever and I didn't appreciate him enough! After a tenth or so Incinerate he only lost like 1/10 (to be honest, even less) of HP, bless his heart T_T. I still don't know WHAT he was, perhaps it was the BEST TANGROWTH of all time. But it was when I was myself very green (pun intended) and didn't appreciate him!

I think it's probably Fairy to me. Like, it's one of my fav typings, and I always try to have one in every team that I do simply because they are pretty versatile. In ORAS, I got an female Timid Ralts. Timid is an excelent nature for Gardevoir even in a non-competitive scene, cuz it outspeeds a surprisingly amount of Pokemon. It was a huge Powerhouse, and took me out of very tight spots more than once. In SM, I got an Modest Cutiefly, and man, that Pokemon is amazing for the main game. Not only does it hits pretty hard, but it's fast and considering how slow the Pokemon in Alola are, it was excelent to break throgh those walls, with just an single Quiver Dance. And Mimikyu just SHREDS through the game in USUM with an impressive feat to be honest.

I think the worst for me has to be Poison. I do like them, and they do provide some good resistances and poisoning that Pokemon that you couldn't just finish off at once with an Sludge Bomb or Poison Jab is excelent, but I just never seem to make it work for me. They are always a bit too frail, and they never seen to hit hard enough. :(

My most lucky type is probably Ground. Always get the good or at least the decent natures on them and they also have helped me out of peril a few times, tanking moves that are SE against them.

My most unlucky type is Poison (Seems i am not the only one). Their movepool is shallow and the majority of them is also slow (And while i think speed is overrated, with Poison its a true issue), they can't take hits well and one other issue they have is that one of the types they are weak against is Ground and that type is widely distributed to Pokemon that aren't Ground types either.

These all have been curious! And I also want to draw your attention to a curious fact! So far, ALL unlucky-lucky pairs mentioned are CONNECTED by one being weak against the other!

First poster's lucky type is Electric and unlucky is Flying (Obviously, Flying weak against electric)
Second poster's lucky type is Fairy and unlucky is Poison (AGAIN, Fairy is weak against poison!)
Third poster's lucky type is Ground and unlucky is Poison (Poison being weak against Ground! Works like a charm again!)

And me is even more excessive example,
I mentioned three lucky types: Dark, Grass, Flying and guess what my unlucky are?
Psychic (weak against my lucky Dark!), Poison (which my lucky Grass is weak against!) and Rock (which my lucky Flying is weak against!!!)

What gives ...:O

Idk why but I've always been unlucky training Poison types even dual ones. For some reason they often end up being the weakest members of my teams even when they're fully leveled up and there are hardly any Poison type moves that I like using other than Sludge Bomb.

I tend to luck out with Fire types a lot. I often get good natures and given the sheer number of powerful Fire moves out there make them absolute beasts, be it physical or special. As fate would have it, Fire is my second favorite type, along with my preferred Starter type choice. The fact that I, despite my usually bad luck, often inflict Burns on my foes even with just Ember is the icing on the cake.

As for bad types, I tend to not fare well with Grass. I rarely get good natures and Grass often suffers due to limited move pools, poor stats, or a bevy of weaknesses that hold it back. While recently (and by that I mean Gen 8 recently) I've done better with Grass Mons, for the most part I tend to have a lot of bad luck with them. It's a shame because there are some good Grass Mons out there that I like, such as Torterra, but Grass tends to suffer the most out of all the types in multiple regions, limiting their usefulness.

Water types are some of the most reliable Pokemon that I've ever trained but Rock types and Bug types aren't really my thing. Especially Bug types because many of them have low stats and too many weaknesses.

Electric, Fire and Water types have usally been very good on my teams (Charizard,Raichu,Jolteon,Lapras,Typhlosion,Ampharos,Walrein,Infernape,Luxray,Floatzel,Samurott,Darmanitan,
Galvantula,Greninja,Talonflame,Heliolisk,Vikavolt,Araquanid,Drednaw,Boltund,Centiscorch,Toxtiricity) Bug, Poison and Rock types have been not really useful (Caterpie,Nidoking,Crobat
,Heracross,Galvantula,Lycanroc,Vikavolt,Araquanid,Drednaw,Centiscorch,Toxtiricty)
My MVP's:
Charizard
Lapras
Walrein

Garchomp
Krookodile
Mega Lucario/Mega Charizard X
Decidueye
Dragapult
My LVP's:
Raichu
Crobat
Swellow
Leafeon
Samurott
A-Raichu
Dubwool

The Good
Fighting: I always have one on my team and they always perform well. Though I suppose it isn't too surprising when it hits 5 types for SE and there's often many opponents weak to fighting like the evil team who are often loaded with dark and normal types.
Steel: Can't lose if you can't get KOed right? It also helps that there's quite a few steel types that hit hard and tank like champs like Ferrothorn and Aegislash. Ferrothorn in particular practically soloed many otherwise tough battles for me.

The Bad
Ghost: Many of my ghosts have underperformed with Decidueye being the worst. It's a shame too since I like ghost types for their spooky aesthetic. It also doesn't help that most things it counters is done better by dark types.
Ice: Probably has less to do with my luck and more to do with it being a bad type to be in. Assuming I can even get a decent one (by ice type standards) in a reasonable amount of time I usually go back to using a water type with ice beam.

Water is lucky. Their sturdinessis useful for walling enemies' attacks, and their decent offensive power hits well neutrally. One of the few times low speed is worth it.

Fairy is both. In the early game they level up very slowly, have poor defenses and have to rely on weak moves like Fairy Wind. But once they get to their final form they get much better defenses and are reliable dragon slayers. As enemies, they also gave me trouble when I don't have super effective moves.

Steel is unlucky because of their impossibly high amount of resistances.

Grass/Bug. The worst dual typing out there. My most lucky types are ground and water. Amazinnggg.

Gonna say Water as well when it comes to getting lucky with types. Having access to Ice type moves really gives it a nice edge, specially against Grass types which Water is weak to. Plus they come in all shapes and sizes, from speedy attackers to tanks and everything in between.

Honestly, never been unlucky with any particular type. I can count with both my hands pokemon that have been good in my teams from each type. I have been unlucky with specific pokemon, but in those cases it was more something else than just the typing (a particular bad stat or stats, shallow movepool, etc.)

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom