• Another scrumptious episode of Bulbacast has been uploaded to YouTube. Watch it here. I hope you don't feel desserted after watching this one.
  • Hello all! The forum staff have introduced a new rule set. We've reduced the number of rules, made trick language easier to understand, and have hopefully simplified the rules to make understanding them easier. Please have a read over the new forum rules here.
  • Grookey, Scorbunny or Sobble, which one do you love most? Want to show your support with a cool banner, check out the info here!

NEWS: Pokemon Uncut Dub Petition

prog rocker

Reaction score
Like would they keep the untranslateable puns?
I think they could do something like a One Piece Spanish fandub I saw and apparently the official English Jojo dub did: Replace the unstranslatable reference for something that fits the context. Here's what they did in each case:

In one One Piece filler there was a villain whose powers came from the Kama Kama no Mi and Luffy kept calling him the okama guy. Since that doesn't exactly work in Spanish, Luffy calls him there "el tipo de las camas" (the bed guy), since kama and cama are pronounced the same way and it keeps Luffy's stupidity intact.

In the Jojo dub, there's Ghiaccio, a character that hates how people deform Italian pronunciation and proverbs "that make no sense". In one of his rants, he's talking about a Japanese proverb that had to do with leaves and roots (I can't remember exactly what it was). Since that expression doesn't exist in English, they replaced it with the saying "taking a leaf out of someone's book", keeping at least the leaf part in tact.

Last edited:

Dogasu

ロケット団よ永遠
Reaction score
Hidden Mew said:
Even with the untapped market, I'm just not sure if they'd want to go the extra mile with making another version of the dub.
I mean, I don't disagree with that. But let's be clear here: the reason we don't have an uncut dub isn't because it's too expensive or because there's no demand or because it's too difficult logistically or whatever else. The reason we don't have an uncut dub of Pokemon is because TPCI is just too cheap to provide us with even that bare minimum. That's it, point blank period.

They should have been making an uncut dub / providing subs for years now at this point. But they haven't, because TPCI.

GalacticRonpa said:
Like would they keep the untranslateable puns? Or stay as original as possible as in using the characters' Japanese names (or the Pokemon and cities for that matter, even if I'd understand if they didn't in the Pokemon case only). Not mentioning stuff like items or moves (would Silver Wing finally become Silver Feather? lol)
prog rocker said:
I think they could do something like a One Piece Spanish fandub I saw and apparently the official English Jojo dub did: Replace the unstranslatable reference for something that fits the context.
You two are literally just describing English translation in general lol

Yash

CHOCOLATE
Reaction score
I never said that you were. Even with the untapped market, I'm just not sure if they'd want to go the extra mile with making another version of the dub. I think that out of the two options, official subs would be more likely to happen, if only because I imagine it is less expensive to do that than making a broadcast and uncut dubs at the same time.
Just do it the same way Funimation and nearly every other company does it - dub it uncut first, then redub whatever handful of lines need to be changed to be acceptable for broadcast. Situations where a show's uncut dub is completely different from its edited-for-broadcast version are extremely rare, especially nowadays (like, the only examples that come to mind are some early DBZ projects, Saint Seiya and the 4Kids series that got short-lived uncut releases).

I mean, it's Pokemon. I know Disney XD has required a bit more censorship than usual for the series, but an "uncut" Pokemon dub would be like 98% the same as the current dub. I can't imagine there would be that much work involved in ensuring it would sync up perfectly to the Japanese footage.

Like Dogasu said, I'm surprised there hasn't been any real effort to simulcast the series with its Japanese airings. XY had its first two episodes premiere just two days after the Japanese airings, and we know that in the past TPCI has dubbed episodes that haven't aired in Japan yet, so it'd definitely be possible for them to get up to speed enough to make it happen. And then of course, they could just simulcast subtitled versions as well.

Hidden Mew

Administrator
Reaction score
I mean, I don't disagree with that. But let's be clear here: the reason we don't have an uncut dub isn't because it's too expensive or because there's no demand or because it's too difficult logistically or whatever else. The reason we don't have an uncut dub of Pokemon is because TPCI is just too cheap to provide us with even that bare minimum. That's it, point blank period.

They should have been making an uncut dub / providing subs for years now at this point. But they haven't, because TPCI.
That's certainly true on both accounts. TPCI doesn't even dub the specials like 4Kids did most likely because they're too cheap, along with how the specials don't usually feature new Pokemon.

Just do it the same way Funimation and nearly every other company does it - dub it uncut first, then redub whatever handful of lines need to be changed to be acceptable for broadcast. Situations where a show's uncut dub is completely different from its edited-for-broadcast version are extremely rare, especially nowadays (like, the only examples that come to mind are some early DBZ projects, Saint Seiya and the 4Kids series that got short-lived uncut releases).

I mean, it's Pokemon. I know Disney XD has required a bit more censorship than usual for the series, but an "uncut" Pokemon dub would be like 98% the same as the current dub. I can't imagine there would be that much work involved in ensuring it would sync up perfectly to the Japanese footage.

Like Dogasu said, I'm surprised there hasn't been any real effort to simulcast the series with its Japanese airings. XY had its first two episodes premiere just two days after the Japanese airings, and we know that in the past TPCI has dubbed episodes that haven't aired in Japan yet, so it'd definitely be possible for them to get up to speed enough to make it happen. And then of course, they could just simulcast subtitled versions as well.
I'm not sure how many lines would have to be changed for Pokemon to be acceptable for broadcast TV. I know that Team Rocket's dialogue is usually pretty different from the original version, but I don't know how different the rest of the dialogue would be or what they'd have to change to get it on Disney XD. I wasn't thinking that there would be an issue with dialogue so much as keeping the original BGM. That would have to be included for either option and I don't think TPCI has kept most of the original BGM for quite some time. I don't know how expensive that would be for TPCI to do, even though most companies that dub anime are able to do it just fine.

theworldofkevinc

Working to help with dub related content
Reaction score
I've always wanted a Yu-Gi-Oh scenario.
Uncuts subs on crunchyroll, and a made for TV dub on...well...TV

The VRAINS dub has 100% dub music, dub OP and ED, and has its own dubisms, but 4K/Konami Cross also allows a sub version to exist

However, VRAINS dub hasn't got a release in the US, only Canada and Australia, so who knows if it would work for Pokemon

Though Dogasu, 100% agree with you that an uncut full JP BGM dub would be great, but if TPCi wanted to test the waters, they should go the route 4K is

Hidden Mew

Administrator
Reaction score

The VRAINS dub has 100% dub music, dub OP and ED, and has its own dubisms, but 4K/Konami Cross also allows a sub version to exist

However, VRAINS dub hasn't got a release in the US, only Canada and Australia, so who knows if it would work for Pokemon

Though Dogasu, 100% agree with you that an uncut full JP BGM dub would be great, but if TPCi wanted to test the waters, they should go the route 4K is
Admittedly, I think that the Vrains dub not having a U.S. release has less to to with the subs on Crunchyroll and more to do with the lack of popularity of any Yu-Gi-Oh! series here aside from Duel Monsters. None of the spin-offs have been able to take off here for various reasons, the first two didn't get complete dubs and even with each series getting a complete dub now, they're years behind the Japanese version, which is a major problem considering that the dub ends up promoting slightly outdated cards by the time they eventually air on TV. I don't think that the Pokemon dub would go through the same problems because the franchise is far more successful and the dub airs pretty consistently. For all of TPCI's faults, they do keep the gap between the dub and Japanese versions at a pretty reasonable length. A few months is nothing compared to being over a year behind with most of the Yu-Gi-Oh! dubs. Plus, Disney XD does treat the series pretty well, certainly better than Cartoon Network did during its last few years on its schedule at least.

That being said, going the Konami Cross route would probably be the best way for TPCI to go. They could experiment with subbing some of the older series, most likely the original series because of its nostalgia and being pretty recognizable, and then eventually move towards other series. It took awhile for a Yu-Gi-Oh! series to the simulcast treatment, but part of why it happened was because the subs for the other series were successful enough for them to do it. That and they probably didn't want to wait until they could get DVD quality footage to sub like they had been doing with the other series as that obviously took way too long. I still don't know how likely it is for TPCI to do that, but if they were going to do something with the original version, that would probably be the easiest option to do.

GalacticRonpa

超高校級に忘れっぽい残念子さん
Reaction score
I wonder if they ever release an uncut Pokemon they'd do the same with Digimon Adventure. Because really, everything in this version sucks, lines, characterization, OST, etc (not trying to be offensive or anything, just my radical opinion) Thank goodness I grew up in a place where the dub was done based on the Japanese version.

I wonder if Saban did the same with other the anime they handled back in the 90s.

FANG-TAN

リーリエの為に戦ってるトレーナー
Reaction score
I wonder if they ever release an uncut Pokemon they'd do the same with Digimon Adventure. Because really, everything in this version sucks, lines, characterization, OST, etc (not trying to be offensive or anything, just my radical opinion) Thank goodness I grew up in a place where the dub was done based on the Japanese version.
A (badly) subtitled version of the Japanese version of Digimon Adventure was available on Netflix for some time. Seems their contract has expired though.
I wonder if Saban did the same with other the anime they handled back in the 90s.
They did.

Dogasu

ロケット団よ永遠
Reaction score
Hidden Mew said:
I wasn't thinking that there would be an issue with dialogue so much as keeping the original BGM. That would have to be included for either option and I don't think TPCI has kept most of the original BGM for quite some time. I don't know how expensive that would be for TPCI to do, even though most companies that dub anime are able to do it just fine.
It'd cost more than free, which is why TPCI is so allergic to it. We've already established that TPCI is too cheap to make a quality product :p

theworldofkevinc said:

I mean...that'd be better than what we have currently for sure. But I also think dub fans should have the chance to watch an uncut version of the show in English if that's the version they prefer. The PokeProblem segments are often funny and charming, and a lot of the Next Episode Previews, especially in the current Sun & Moon era, are just flat-out silly. Dub fans should get to enjoy them too.

GalacticRonpa said:
Pretty much every Japanese show that aired in the U.S. in the 90s has since had Japanese w/English subtitle releases and many of them have gotten better, more accurate redubs as well. Pokemon's basically the only show that hasn't gotten at least one of them.