• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

UNITE Pokémon UNITE General Discussion Thread

People who pay are funding Tencent and therefore indirectly funding what tencent supports, which is the People's Republic of China and all their anti-free speech, thought controlling, and general terrible beliefs. That's how they would be doing harm. They're supporting in all but name. (Kinda like how if you let someone bully another person just because the bully is your friend, you're supporting that abusive behavior by not saying anything.)

Of course they know people will pay. That's why this game exists because apparently that type of game is huge in China from what I remember reading when this game was announced. Plus people who don't pay but still play a lot give them numbers to brag about and say 'see how popular we are you should play too!' and then manipulate those who are easily swayed (and- lets face it- dumb impressionable children who know how to find mom and dad's bank/credit/whatever cards) into starting up and eventually forking over cash for whatever sparkly new thing is out. Gods help us if its also got Gatcha mechanics.

I won't bug people to not play though. Hell, I don't even usually get involved with stuff like this. Just blew my mind that this game went from having its reveal removed and reuploaded by the pokemon youtube page to try and reset the votes because it got downvoted to hell to everyone talking about it like its all neat and stuff. Like either they were just mad about the timing of the announcement and were hoping for something else, or they were just acting like they were outraged because it was what was in fashion at the time. Though I'm happy about the outrage that did happen, because otherwise I'd have never learned about Tencent.

Even if this were a genre of game and a game model I didn't despise aggressively I'd never play it myself.

Of course they know people will pay. That's why this game exists because apparently that type of game is huge in China from what I remember reading when this game was announced. Plus people who don't pay but still play a lot give them numbers to brag about and say 'see how popular we are you should play too!' and then manipulate those who are easily swayed (and- lets face it- dumb impressionable children who know how to find mom and dad's bank/credit/whatever cards) into starting up and eventually forking over cash for whatever sparkly new thing is out. Gods help us if its also got Gatcha mechanics.

To be fair, this could happen with any form of entertainment. I mean these children could take their parents cards to buy anything.

So, the accusation that they will manipulate children seems unfair.

Oh, I'd point that sort of finger at all kinds of games like that Tencent is far from being special in any way, shape, or form in that regard.

We're talking about pokemon here though. And Nintendo and Gamefreak don't shy away from the fact their target demographic isn't exactly the people like me who have been playing since Red and Blue came out. They all want that sweet, sweet kids who beg their parents for things money. Another reason why this genre of pokemon game is being made. Since these... MOBAs? I have no clue what genre this game is but I'm assuming its along the lines of league of legends and whatever where you group up and strategize battle stuff. I assume kids still like that? Is that what fortnight is? God I feel old right now.

All they gotta do is give all the pokemon their own unique dumb looking dance move and the children would be all over that like it was a truck full of candy that flipped on the side of the road.

In other news, I feel ancient and out of touch with the youth. Gonna go to bed with my like 30+ pokemon plushies now.

I didn’t think I’d enjoy this game but I’m liking it so far. It’s got the usual issues of any online game like people being inactive but otherwise I’ve had a decent experience from the 10 rounds I’ve played.

What's up, guys. Say, here's what the TiMi Studio Group developers excluded from all playable characters in this game:
  • Mega Evolutions
  • Dynamaxes & Gigantamaxes
  • Ash-Greninja Bond Phenomenon
  • Kantonian forms of the Vulpix evolution families, as only their Alolan forms have been included in this game.
  • All alternate and regional forms.
  • All regional and branched evolutions.
  • All pre-evolved baby stages and Raichu.
So, I'm just wanting to know why do you think that the developers have done so?

What's up, guys. Say, here's what the TiMi Studio Group developers excluded from all playable characters in this game:
  • Mega Evolutions
  • Dynamaxes & Gigantamaxes
  • Ash-Greninja Bond Phenomenon
  • Kantonian forms of the Vulpix evolution families, as only their Alolan forms have been included in this game.
  • All alternate and regional forms.
  • All regional and branched evolutions.
  • All pre-evolved baby stages and Raichu.
So, I'm just wanting to know why do you think that the developers have done so?
I don't believe anyone expected, nor SHOULD expect, such a list like that from A: a game of this genre, and B: a spinoff game by a company other than Gamefreak.

But to address your points, in-battle power-ups were probably excluded for balance purposes, also could get confusing fitting them into the gameplay.

Regional forms, it's probably just a creative decision? Like yeah they could reskin Ninetales to look Kantonian while maintaining the same functions, but why? This actually opens up the possibility that maybe they'll include Kantonian Ninetales in the future with a whole new kit.

Branched evolutions, again kinda the same thing. The only thing here that I can't answer is how they'll handle, say, Slowking, if they ever add it. Given that they would both devolve into Slowpoke, that could get confusing.

Raichu is obvious mascot pandering, nothing to be done.

The only one I'll fully agree with you on is the baby Pokemon. It's clear that they made that decision firmly, but for what purpose I cannot fathom. I don't see why Mime. Jr, Riolu, Munchlax, etc, couldn't work the same way as other evolving Pokemon.

Last edited:
I don't believe anyone expected, nor SHOULD expect, such a list like that from A: a game of this genre, and B: a spinoff game by a company other than Gamefreak.

But to address your points, in-battle power-ups were probably excluded for balance purposes, also could get confusing fitting them into the gameplay.

Regional forms, it's probably just a creative decision? Like yeah they could reskin Ninetales to look Kantonian while maintaining the same functions, but why? This actually opens up the possibility that maybe they'll include Kantonian Ninetales in the future with a whole new kit.

Branched evolutions, again kinda the same thing. The only thing here that I can't answer is how they'll handle, say, Slowking, if they ever add it. Given that they would both devolve into Slowpoke, that could get confusing.

Raichu is obvious mascot pandering, nothing to be done.

The only one I'll fully agree with you on is the baby Pokemon. It's clear that they made that decision firmly, but for what purpose I cannot fathom. I don't see why Mime. Jr, Riolu, Munchlax, etc, couldn't work the same way as other evolving Pokemon.
I mean, Megas could be a cosmetic change that only appears when you use your UNITE move.

I mean, Megas could be a cosmetic change that only appears when you use your UNITE move.
That is very true. But if it's just a cosmetic change, I frankly don't see the point. They could spend the time animating a whole new model to work with the same moveset as the base form for what, like 10 seconds? Or, they could spend their time on an actual new Pokemon. I'd prefer the latter.

That is very true. But if it's just a cosmetic change, I frankly don't see the point. They could spend the time animating a whole new model to work with the same moveset as the base form for what, like 10 seconds? Or, they could spend their time on an actual new Pokemon. I'd prefer the latter.
I meant during the Unite move, not after.

I hit master rank last week. With ranked and normals/quick matches combined I have around 400ish games atm, needles to say, I've suprisingly been enjoying it haha.

Some thoughts:
-the pay to win argument is pretty overblown. Just by playing for a few days you can level up 2-3 items to 20 with all of the ticket rewards you get from missions, log in bonuses, etc. Lvl 20 is where the most meaningful stat increase kicks in. There's diminishing returns paying to level items to 30 to the point where it's not worth the 100+ dollars. People can pay to upgrade but it honestly doesn't make much of a difference. You aren't going to win matches solely from having lvl 30 items bc the stat boosts are minor and not impactful enough to replace actual player skill. The biggest difference is just flat out not equipping items, but you get items for free so there's no reason not to.

-timi needs to patch in more pokemon on a quick, consistent basis. Due to the short match times you play for a few days and suddenly you just feel like you're seeing the same pokemon over and over and over again. I'm hoping they do bi-weekly pokemon additions.

-Ranked matchmaking needs an overhaul. Someone playing in great rank can be matched with people in expert and vet, and masters players can be matched with vets and ultras, making teams horribly unbalanced at times.
-game needs better tutorials. A lot of people playing unite have never played a moba before and the tutorial does a pretty bad job of explaining things like laning, roles, etc, which is why in pretty much every level of play you have laners taking jungle xp, junglers randomly taking lane exp. Due to how exp works in the game it can legit ruin a match when that happens too.

-Balance is pretty fine. Gengar and Zeraora were overtuned prior to nerfs but even then they were never really that strong in higher ranks because at that point most people just understand to avoid them when they pop hex/dischard, CC them when it's off CD, etc etc. Pretty much every team still runs cinderace and snorlax but I attribute that more to them filling very specific roles that are uncontested due to the lack of roster variety at the moment.

Game has massive potential but it needs more content updates like new maps, pokemon, etc. The game is only a few weeks old at this point so I think the current amount of content is fair, but yeah the game can definitely become massively popular if timi takes full advantage of the brand.

So I'd like to hear what anyone has to say about UNITE, like what is good, what is bad, and what types of people they found while playing, and their overall opinion.
Well i just played a game and got reported for bad language you can't even talk in the game? And no way to defend your self from those accusations. LAME!

Well i just played a game and got reported for bad language you can't even talk in the game? And no way to defend your self from those accusations. LAME!
I've been seeing mentions of that on Reddit a lot.

It may not help, but the default option for voice chat is "on" in your main settings. I'm pretty sure you can still get reported for it even if you have it turned to off, though. It's a really messed up system if you ask me.

What's up, guys? Do you think that Dracovish is going to become a playable character in the later update of Pokémon UNITE? Why?

Personally I've enjoyed unite but it would be nice if there was a port of it onto pc (I know it'll never happen but its still nice to dream)
If there were I'd probably play more.

What's up, guys? I'm just wanting to know why you think that Abra and Herdier as catchable NPC wild Pokémon do not evolve in Pokémon UNITE?

What's up, guys? I'm just wanting to know why you think that Abra and Herdier as catchable NPC wild Pokémon do not evolve in Pokémon UNITE?
I do not know who is Herdier but Abra is a clear masterpiece memory from res ans blue games where was really really dificult to capture (first turn always escaping with teleport) this pokemon and it was not possible to find wild kadabra or alakazam.

Tried the game. Went through the tutorial and played a couple of online matches with Pikachu.

I didn't enjoy it as much. 10 minutes feels too long for a match. Granted, I used to play games that had 3-minute matches, so it might be just me.

After a stint experimenting a bit more with Venusaur, I keep coming back to Eldegoss - it's deceptively tanky and feels easy to use. Some physical attackers think they have me cornered before realising that I'm actually perfectly happy to get some healing off the Pollen Puff that I've stuck to their face.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom