• All content from the former Roleplaying Games forum has been merged into the Writers' Workshop forum. You can find more information in this thread.

We hope to see you roleplaying away soon!
  • The World Beyond Restructure is now finished! Check out the update here!
  • The 2020 staff drive for Bulbagarden is now live! If you're interested in joining the Bulbagarden staff team (whether it be forums, social media, or more!) then you're encouraged to apply!
  • Hey everyone! The Writer's Workshop is hosting an exciting event, Trainers of Fanfiction! It's a community event focused around your characters!

Spoilers Pokémon UNITE

Thoughts on the announcement of Pokémon Unite?

• Can't wait!

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • It looks okay.

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • Meh...

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • Pass.

Votes: 36 67.9%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Pokemon Unite has united the world, including uniting people in the United States of America as well as China whose relationship has soured in recent weeks (according to Hong Kong's South China Morning Post- https://www.scmp.com/abacus/article/3090580/pokemon-unite-moba-game-disappointing-nintendo-fans-both-china-and-us). If Pokemon Unite was to unite the world, it has done it.

Anybody wants to nominate The Pokemon Company and Tencent for an Ig Nobel Peace Prize for preventing a Second Cold War by uniting the people of both the United States of America and China against Pokemon Unite?

Flame Trainer
Reaction score
Pokemon Unite has united the world, including uniting people in the United States of America as well as China whose relationship has soured in recent weeks (according to Hong Kong's South China Morning Post- https://www.scmp.com/abacus/article/3090580/pokemon-unite-moba-game-disappointing-nintendo-fans-both-china-and-us). If Pokemon Unite was to unite the world, it has done it.

Anybody wants to nominate Nintendo and Tencent for an Ig Nobel Peace Prize for preventing a Second Cold War?
Today I learnt USA and China consist the entire world.
Seriously, though, if it’s chock full of micro transactions that’s the nail in the coffin for the game.

Reaction score
My suggestion of nominating The Pokemon Company and Tencent for an Ig Nobel Peace Prize for Pokemon Unite might be silly, but it is not unprecedented, as in 1993, the Pepsi-Cola Company of the Philippines was awarded the Peace Prize for sponsoring a contest to create a millionaire and announced the wrong winning number, thereby inciting and uniting 800,000 riotously expectant winners, and bringing many warring factions together for the first time in their nation's history.

And in case you are wondering, the Ig Nobel Prize is a parody of the Nobel Prize.

Reaction score
They just removed 50k dislikes from the youtube presentation. There were 180k dislikes a couple of hours ago, now "just" 130k dislikes. This is getting worse hour after hour XD
Yes,i've seen that, it's lame haha. I don't understand how pokemon can work with a company like this. This is kinda a weird and I think things can turn really bad if they continue with their cell phone mentality for to long.

Laid to Wake
Reaction score
Before we get all conspiratorial, I don't think it's technically possible to remove a certain segment of dislikes from a YouTube video on a whim (I mean, if they really wanted to hide the controversy, they could just disable reactions altogether). I suspect the heavy influx of dislikes may just be setting off bot auditors designed to counteract review bombing.

PinkIceTales!
Reaction score
I hope so, because I'd be baffled that removing dislikes is something you can do. Like. Holy shivs.

Reaction score
Before we get all conspiratorial, I don't think it's technically possible to remove a certain segment of dislikes from a YouTube video on a whim (I mean, if they really wanted to hide the controversy, they could just disable reactions altogether). I suspect the heavy influx of dislikes may just be setting off bot auditors designed to counteract review bombing.
I've read of people saying they disliked the video yesterday but today their dislike was gone. Or even worse that their dislike was turned into a like.

Laid to Wake
Reaction score
I've read of people saying they disliked the video yesterday but today their dislike was gone.
I don't think that's anything new, I think that's a technical problem within YouTube. Even without factoring in bot auditing that could be registering some reaction input as spam, analytics can get buggy. Here's a similar issue report that somebody filed last year describing much the same phenomenon. Personally, I remember the site having a problem once where a video's views would cap at like 300 even if it had been watched by far more than that. YouTube encounters software problems all the time, and I would sooner suspect that's the case here than active manipulation of the numbers, especially since the video in question is getting so much traffic at once.

Or even worse that their dislike was turned into a like.
Eh, call me skeptical.

Reaction score
I'm all for the franchise branching out, and a Pokemon MOBA has potential, even if you're not into the genre or mobile games...

But having Tencent involved ruins it :sick:

Reaction score
Review bombing goes both ways though. So if Negatives get removed, positives need to get removed as well.

Oddium Wanderus
Reaction score
I expected nothing and I am somehow still disappointed in TPCI for this. This didn't warrant an entire presentation on its own.

Gen 1 pandering + Pandering to the chinese = not for me, but I'm guessing it'll be ridiculously lucrative given how these games do in China...

Laid to Wake
Reaction score
Review bombing goes both ways though. So if Negatives get removed, positives need to get removed as well.
It can (though I will say that personally, every instance of review bombing I've ever encountered or heard of has been negative, which to me makes sense because people on the Internet love to shit on things and make sure that others know it), but that doesn't mean it always does. If the detection systems aren't sensing an unusual amount of likes coming from suspicious accounts, then they're not going to interpret it as bot work.

Reaction score
It's no conspiracy, Youtube just sucks.

Happened before. Anyone remember Diablo Immortal? Ooooof, also a mobile game that got downvoted into oblivion.

Anyway, a famous quote from the Chinese Three Kingdoms period:
"The empire, long divided, must unite; long united, must divide. Thus it has ever been."