• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Spoilers Pokémon UNITE

Thoughts on the announcement of Pokémon Unite?

• Can't wait!

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • It looks okay.

Votes: 11 15.9%
  • Meh...

Votes: 13 18.8%
  • Pass.

Votes: 42 60.9%

• Total voters
"People actually giving the game a chance, spurring rehabilitation after initial negative reception" phase incoming

ngl, that trailer looked amazing.
I felt the opposite, primarily because we saw so little gameplay. I wasn’t exactly impressed or interested by the run-of-the-mill epic animated section that was longer than the stuff we’ll actually be seeing in-game. And the gameplay we did see was edited in such a way that I couldn’t get a feel for the game.

Last edited:
Link to the trailer for anyone interested:

Oddly enough, only the UK version is up on the channel.

Pokemon devolving before a battle starts is an interesting concept. Reminds me of the Trading Card Game, where Pokemon usually start out in their Basic form and then evolve as the battle progresses.

Why make some Pokemon revert to base stage but not all? Snorlax, Lucario, and Mr. Mime could all revert to their base stages and function the same until evolving... Is it just cuz they're baby pokemon? Cuz that's the dumbest reasoning imo.

It does seem like it might have something to do with Baby Pokemon - Pikachu didn't devolve either. Perhaps, like in the Trading Card Game, the likes of Pikachu and Mr. Mime are classed as Basic Pokemon? Or maybe there's another reason... perhaps once a Pokemon has reached a higher level it can begin battle in its evolved state?

Last edited:
Pokemon devolving before a battle starts is an interesting concept. Reminds me of the Trading Card Game, where Pokemon usually start out in their Basic form and then evolve as the battle progresses.

It does seem like it might have something to do with Baby Pokemon - Pikachu didn't devolve either. Perhaps, like in the Trading Card Game, the likes of Pikachu and Mr. Mime are classed as Basic Pokemon? Or maybe there's another reason... perhaps once a Pokemon has reached a higher level it can begin battle in its evolved state?

Yeah, i also think it has something to do with Baby Pokemon (And Absol would have never caught up with Talonflame anyways, since it would be the fastest thing on the field)

I've gone from 'wouldn't touch with a bargepole' to 'seems fun, let's give it a try'. That trailer was very, very good.

I wonder whether the initial reveal of Pokemon UNITE would have been met with a warmer reception if this cinematic trailer had accompanied it?

Finally got motivated enough to watch the trailer yesterday. Seriously, what's wrong with having Lucario not become Riolu or Snorlax not become Munchlax? Pikachu I can somewhat understand because it's the mascot, but the others don't have that excuse on their side.

Pragmatically speaking, Snorlax, Lucario, and Mr. Mime are all far more iconic and recognizable than their baby stages. But then again, you could probably say the same about Greninja in relation to Froakie and Frogadier, so it probably is just because of the Baby thing. For whatever reason, I guess they just don’t want to use Baby Pokémon in this setting. And like Puddle noted, they wouldn’t be the first medium to do so, either.

——

On a more general note, my only “gripe” with the game - to the extent I can even be said to have had one - has always been simply that it didn’t really look like a genre I’d be interested in. I have no issue with its existence, and I wasn’t burned by having any specific expectations for the Direct back in 2020. My take on the game has always been, “It’s a savvy decision on the part of TPC, but just doesn’t really seem like my thing.”

However, the new trailer was pretty good, and the presentation was rather exciting. Since I’ve been attempting to break out of my comfort zone with video games lately by trying out games I wouldn’t usually have an interest in, maybe I’ll give the Switch version of UNITE a try.

Last edited:
Finally got motivated enough to watch the trailer yesterday. Seriously, what's wrong with having Lucario not become Riolu or Snorlax not become Munchlax? Pikachu I can somewhat understand because it's the mascot, but the others don't have that excuse on their side.
All those lines have baby Pokemon as part of them, so that's probably why. I guess they didn't want players to use baby Pokemon.

All those lines have baby Pokemon as part of them, so that's probably why. I guess they didn't want players to use baby Pokemon.
That's what I don't get. This game doesn't have more violence than the main series where baby pokemon can fight or than anime where recently we watch a riolu participate in battles or than the super smash bros where pichu is smashed again and again. These pokemon being "baby" doesn't mean anything actually.

That's what I don't get. This game doesn't have more violence than the main series where baby pokemon can fight or than anime where recently we watch a riolu participate in battles or than the super smash bros where pichu is smashed again and again. These pokemon being "baby" doesn't mean anything actually.
Besides, Riolu is probably one of the most popular baby Pokémon, so I fail to see why Lucario couldn't devolve.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom