• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon USA's negotiation may not work after all...

How is that possible when CN just aquired Advanced Challenge and Chronicles?

It would seem pretty stupid for CN to aquire reruns and a spinoff series and not aquire Season 9.

I still believe Pokemon will be syndicated, just like the Star Trek shows, and end up on whichever station, UPN or WB, was abandoned when the CW was formed.

Yeah, CN is going to show Advanced Challenge and Chronicles, but KTLA was showing old episodes of "Friends" while new episodes were airing on NBC.

Just throwing fresh meat out for you to chew on.

Last edited:
But then there's the issue (if I remember correctly),that networks can't advertise as much since Pokemon would be considered children's programming.

It's why the Kids'WB weekday line-up was axed and moved to Saturday's only if I'm not mistaken.

Besides,going from syndication,to network,and then back into syndication isn't exactly what I'd call progress.I can't see Pokemon USA making a good case for themselves if something like that ever happened.

= Instant bullshit.
Hey, he never lies to me! And he talked to an actual representative....
If you're not willing take me seriously then I'll go get him for you. He's at my house too...
edit: he doesn't want to be bothered right now. He just says to go email Nickelodeon to really find out. He says that you're just too lazy to do research and some other stuff I'd be banned for if I posted it here.

Crystal Clair said:
Sorry for the bump but I just heard
Nickelodeon has bought the rights to Pokemon (cartoon network cant air it without paying Nickelodeon)
I'm honestly wondering if this is true. I mean I did find out on the sixth of June. But my sister's boyfriend never lies. He works at the cable company and he met representatives from Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network. It turns out the respresentative from Nickelodeon told him (he asked because we had this discussion) and they told him this.
Can someone confirm this?
I can't confirm that or anything......

But, anyway, I believe that could be true, Crystal Clair. And if he works for the cable company and has met representatives from BOTH CN and Nickelodeon, that makes sense.

I mean, remember back when the voice actors told everyone to send emails about the new season to CN, telling them not to get the new season if it's gonna be with the new VAs?

Well, maybe after getting all those emails, they decided not to air season 9 on the network? I think that's possible, and it could be what happened. I don't really know though, I'm just guessing.

Nomekop Oen said:
But then there's the issue (if I remember correctly),that networks can't advertise as much since Pokemon would be considered children's programming.

That didn't stop KidsWB from advertising something like "Loudest Belch Weekend" using edited clips from their shows, including Pokemon.

Nomekop Oen said:
It's why the Kids'WB weekday line-up was axed and moved to Saturday's only if I'm not mistaken.

As I recall, it was because the WB affiliates wanted to air shows that were more profitable.

Nomekop Oen said:
Besides,going from syndication,to network,and then back into syndication isn't exactly what I'd call progress.I can't see Pokemon USA making a good case for themselves if something like that ever happened.

As long as the show airs someplace, PUSA will make money. How it got there doesn't matter.

the gadfly said:
As I recall, it was because the WB affiliates wanted to air shows that were more profitable.

Not according to the one I called (WB32 in Portland, Oregon). They told me it was due to the FCC's ruling on how much advertising space per week could be targeted to children.

So, that would imply that the Pokemon anime is nothing more than an advertisement? As such, its air times must be restricted?

So, let me get this straight.

The WB dropped its weekday broadcasts of Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh! and the rest because of "commercial time"? Meaning the time spent during commercial breaks promoting the shows, but the not actually the shows themselves?

Hell, the stations could have easily gotten around that by advertising "Friends" or something while keeping the shows advertising video games and TCG.

No, the FCC had a problem with the shows themselves. They are after all commercials for products.

Or the WB affiliates wanted to air something more profitable for them.

Actually, back when this originally happened, I heard that the exact reason the WB had to get rid of their weekday programming was because of the FCC saying that there wasn't enough commercial time during the shows. So it definitely must've been the FCC.

And that really doesn't make sense to me, because I know that Pokemon has 3 different commercial breaks on KidsWB. So, apparently, 3 different breaks wasn't enough for them? Or they just couldn't air enough commercials during that time?

Ugh....another reason to hate the FCC for me. @@; I'd rather not have more commercial time than show time, not to mention I was never one for pretty much having a nauseating amount of advertisements shoved down my throat. It's not just on TV, either!

Well - one way or another there must be 8 minutes of advertising - because each episode only has about 22 minutes of content.

http://promomagazine.com/news/ana_fcc_020805/ <- The removal of weekday programing block on WB was deffinetly because of new FCC regulations.

On the Nick thing, I am doubtful. Nick never plays anime, and a deal where CN is airing reruns/Chronicles, and Nick airs the new seasons just seems too sloppy. Whereas WB and CN were sister-networks, Nick and CN are direct rivals.

Last edited:
Crystal Clair said:
Hey, he never lies to me! And he talked to an actual representative....
If you're not willing take me seriously then I'll go get him for you. He's at my house too...
edit: he doesn't want to be bothered right now. He just says to go email Nickelodeon to really find out. He says that you're just too lazy to do research and some other stuff I'd be banned for if I posted it here.
All I got was a former Nickelodeon exec was hired on as a PUSA promoter.

the gadfly said:
So, let me get this straight.

The WB dropped its weekday broadcasts of Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh! and the rest because of "commercial time"? Meaning the time spent during commercial breaks promoting the shows, but the not actually the shows themselves?

Not promoting the shows, but promoting other products. Like toys and movies and video games and whatnot.

After the rash of toy properties-turned-cartoons during the 80's, limits were placed on how much advertising kids should be exposed to because it was believed that bombarding kids with nonstop ads was harmful to them. While "regular" TV has seen advertising time increase (Matt Groening complains about this sort of thing in one of the Simpsons DVD commentaries), kids' TV's advertising seems to have remained just as strict.

While I think the FCC explanation is part of the reason weekday Kids' WB! got axed, I think the bigger issue was that the weekday block just wasn't getting good enough ratings. That's probably due to the fact that the block was, more often than not, nothing but reruns, and also the fact that stuff like ER and Friends can reach a wider audience than a bunch of kids' cartoons can.

Dogasu said:
Not promoting the shows, but promoting other products. Like toys and movies and video games and whatnot.

I guess the WB couldn't be bothered to promote their other shows or offer Public Service Announcements, huh? Makes me wonder what was more valuable to them, the show or the commercials. (Duh. The commercials.)

Dogasu said:
While I think the FCC explanation is part of the reason weekday Kids' WB! got axed, I think the bigger issue was that the weekday block just wasn't getting good enough ratings. That's probably due to the fact that the block was, more often than not, nothing but reruns, and also the fact that stuff like ER and Friends can reach a wider audience than a bunch of kids' cartoons can.

I couldn't agree with you more.

Please note: The thread is from 18 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom