• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Video Games Hindsight thread - What Would You Have Changed About Previous Entries?

Reaction score
I suck at titles :v

Obvious title is obvious xD Of all the games in the series, surely there must have been something, a change, that you didn't like. Whether that's adding something you dislike or removing a feature or theme you liked, you'd like to turn back time and do things differently in the series. The purpose of this thread is to discuss what we would have changed about specific games in the series with what we know now x3

Please don't post one-liners like "Black and White was a mistake" or something of the sort, give well reasoned responses and please remember to keep things in touch with reality and history ^^" (aka no "I would have made Pokemon 4K Ultra HD on the GBA" :v, for example).

I would have made it so gen 3 kept the day/night cycle from gen 2. I think FRLG would have been just a little more standout (albeit not much) if it had inherited that little feature.

Also would have kept a bunch of gen 6's features (DexNav, trainer rematches, super secret bases, pokemon amie's mini games (don't judge me, lol), super training, horde battles, etc. for gen 7. I miss ALL of those features a lot.

Would absolutely go back to every game that features berry growth, and replace berry fields/patches with portable berry growth items like HGSS's key item, or gen 7's berry island. I've recently started playing Platinum for the first time and the fact I have to backtrack or hover near berry patches is a real bummer.

I'm sure there's more but, that's all I got for now. :)

As much as I loved Sinnoh as a region, its Pokemon distribution in the Diamond and Pearl games is poorly handled and would be the first thing I'd changed if it were possible. If you didn't chose Chimchar as a starter, your only other Fire-type option is the Ponyta-line. Unthinkable by modern day standards of course, but that's what this threads about. ;-)

hqdefault.jpg

Last edited:
I would change the distribution of Pokemon and items in Gen 2, 3, and 4. Like Guidznl said, there's only one fire-type in D/P besides Chimchar, which Platinum thankfully fixed. And Johto focused more on Kanto Pokemon than Johto Pokemon; newly introduced ones like Dunsparce and Yanma only have a 1% encounter rate in one location outside of swarms and some like Misdreavus and Houndour can only be caught after the Johto section of the game.

I also wish that the evolution stones were buyable in Gen 2 as well as one-per-file items like the Luxury Ball (only found in the Abandoned Ship in R/S/E) were buyable too.

Honey slathering, Headbutt/Apricorn trees, and DexNav would remain with some tweaks. Firstly, get rid of the whole secret ID mechanic for Munchlax, and just limit it to a 1% encounter rate - it'll be much easier to find, while still being rarer than Heracross. Headbutt trees are self explanatory - just include them in future generations with more Bug- and Flying-types.
Rotomdex would've beeen perfect for DexNav - it already has the marker, so I don't see why it can't somehow be included. It'll be great as an alternative to farming SOS encounters for shinies and hidden abilities. Can you tell I hate SOS battles?

And Johto focused more on Kanto Pokemon than Johto Pokemon; newly introduced ones like Dunsparce and Yanma only have a 1% encounter rate in one location outside of swarms and some like Misdreavus and Houndour can only be caught after the Johto section of the game.
Murkrow/Yanma in Illex Forest, Misdreavus in Dark Cave and Mt.Mortar, Houndour in Route 37 and Burnt Tower, Sneasel in Ice Path, and Larvitar in Dark Cave and Route 45. Something like that?

Speaking of Johto, I'd also include more Gen 2 mons (and maybe Gen 4 in HGSS) in the Johto leaders' rosters, and increase the levels. And maybe switch around some party members. Something like this:

• Falkner: Hoothoot (lv.13), Pidgeotto (lv.14)
  • Bugsy: Spinarak (lv.19), Ledyba (lv.19), Scyther (lv.20)
  • Whitney: Furret (lv.20), Aipom (lv.22), Miltank (lv.23)
  • Morty: Misdreavus (lv.27), Haunter (lv.29), Haunter (lv.29), Gengar (lv.31)
  • Chuck: Hitmontop (lv.33), Heracross (lv.33), Poliwrath (lv.34), Primeape (lv.35)
  • Jasmine: Magneton/Magnezone (lv.37), Magneton/Magnezone (lv.37), Skarmory (lv.38), Steelix (lv.40)
  • Pryce: Sneasel/Weavile (lv.42), Cloyster (lv.42), Dewgong (lv.44), Piloswine/Mamoswine (lv.45)
  • Claire: Lapras (lv.45), Dragonair (lv.46), Dragonair (lv.46), Gyarados (lv.48), Kingdra (lv.50)
The Elite Four would be between lv.50 - lv.60. Kanto trainers and leaders would be around the same levels.

Last edited:
Unbreakable TMs.
That's such a big difference that encourages using new moves and makes defeating Gym Leaders more meaningful. Just make obtaining them more difficult to balance it out.

Gen I's constraints are complicated so it's difficult to do many reasonable things and keep within them.
Ghost is fixed to be SE to Psychic, and Shadow Ball added. Marowak is Ground/Ghost?
A powerful bug type move added. At least Scyther, Parasect, Venomoth and Pinsir can learn it, maybe some Grass types?
(Also Scyther learns Guillotine just for kicks of seeing something broken like that)
Dragonbreath is added. Seadra is a Dragon type. Dragon Rage deals 80 damage to dragons.
Butterfree and Venomoth have swapped graphics.

Gen II
Will has a Girafarig (and/or Wobbufett?). Bruno has Heracross. Karen has a Tyranitar.
You can get a Larvitar on the Game Corner, and then in the end of Dark Cave cave south of Blackthorn.
Make the move relearner (there is one in stadium) far more accesible.

Two words: Safari Zone.

Seriously, it needs revamping. HGSS had the right idea, where you had no step limit and could customize the area, but it was still very faulty. They need to especially rework the Bait/Mud/Rock idea, and maybe modify the capture rate of the Safari Balls. If memory serves, Safari Balls have a 1.5x catch rate, but that seems rather low, especially in Gen 1 where they can freakin' MISS on super-rare ones like Chancey and Dratini. They need to up that to 2x, since the 1.5x rate is not only low, it hardly guarantees anything, especially with low catch rate Mons. Basically you need the RNG gods' blessings to get such Mons without making them run and blowing it.

In terms of the Bait/Rock/Mud situation, I would've made both increase the chances of catching the Pokemon, but with different rates. For example, throwing Bait makes the Mon more likely to stay and increases the chance of catching it by 10% or so each. While Rock/Mud doubles the chance of catching the Mon but also doubles the chance of it running. Basically Bait increases the chances slowly while Rock/Mud increases it faster. While it would mean that Bait would probably be the more likely choice for Safari Zone goers, it would still help in some way or form to make both Bait and Rock/Mud have the same overall effect instead of making one harder to use than the other.

Also, as a last addition to it, increase catch rates for Safari Mons, even if it's just for the Safari Zone. For example, Chancey has a low catch rate all around, so why not increase its catch rate while in the Safari Zone and let non-Safari Zone Chancey retain the same catch rate as normal. This way it'll be more of an incentive for players to hunt down Safari Zone Mons in the Safari Zone, as they'll be easier to catch even though you're reduced to just Ball, Bait, and Mud/Rock. I mean, the Safari Zone is supposed to be a place for rare Mons and to give everyone a chance to obtain them in one place, so why not modify their catch rates so players would have better chances of catching them in the Safari Zone than in the normal areas. That's my 2 cents.

I would have made Pokémon Yellow much more like the anime. I'm talking Brock and Misty joining you (and if we can't have them literally following you like Pikachu, then at least have them appear at certain moments throughout the game, and give you some method of phoning them), Team Rocket creating Mewtwo and Mewtwo being far more than a stationary cave boss, Ho-Oh and Lugia hints/cameos to call forward to GS, a tournament replacing the Pokémon League, remodeled Gyms to more closely resemble the anime (so like Voltorb traps in Koga's Gym), and so on. Maybe include Togepi and a couple of other new Pokémon. And then the eventual remake would include the Orange Islands.

I would probably conduct mass rewrites on the stories of Gold/Silver, Diamond/Pearl, and X/Y. I think all three of them have their shares of interesting ideas and good things going for them, but it is fair to say that none of them execute their material as well as they could. Mewtwo would definitely be involved in the XY story, for sure.

Gym Leader rematches would feature in every game, period. Also, the Kalos Elite Four would get rematch teams with Mega Evolutions (Mega Houndoom for Malva, Mega Blastoise for Siebold, Mega Aggron for Wikstrom, and Mega Garchomp for Drasna).

Gyms would stop being so rigidly type-based after a while, and would eventually start focusing on technical strategies or alternative battle styles.

Not only would I keep Challenge Mode, I would go completely nuts with it. In addition to increasing the opponents' levels and AI, it would let more generic NPCs use held items and healing items. For the player, though, Max Potions, Full Restores, and Full Heals would all cost twice their normal price at the Poké Mart so as to discourage heal spamming, and you would receive slightly less money from Trainer battles in general. Revives are banned, as are any kinds of Poké Balls other than standard, Great, and Ultra (which cost 500P more than usual). The Battle Style would locked on Set Mode, and you would not be able to challenge a Gym with more Pokémon than the Gym Leader uses. The Elite Four would all have special enhancements, like maybe one of them uses all slow Pokémon and their chamber generates a perma-Trick Room effect, or maybe another gets an automatic +1 stat boost in Special Attack for all of their Pokémon. The Champion's enhancement would make it so that all of their Pokémon's attacks move up by one effectiveness tier (immunities still apply, but their NVE attacks would become normal effectiveness, normally effective attacks would become super effective, and supereffective attacks would become double-damage attacks), and their last Pokémon would have full Amie/Refresh benefits.

Now for some smaller fixes:

For crying out loud, let Victini learn V-create via Move Tutor.

I'd have done more with Regigigas in DPP. I really love the Regi trio and the convoluted puzzle that they're shrouded by in RSE, but to my disappointment, DPP didn't refer back to that stuff at all.

I would not only keep Inverse Battles, but I would have them occur in more areas, though always with a prompt (kind of like Sky Battles).

I would remove the type-boosting items like the Silk Scarf, Twisted Spoon, etc.. They didn't care about them enough in order to create a Fairy-type equivalent (or simply resurrect the Pink Bow from Gen 2 but with a new effect), and they're made redundant by Arceus's Plates anyway (and as of SM, there's not even a concern in terms of "but what if I want to make Arceus a Fire type while boosting something else's Fire attack?", since Arceus can change type using Z-Crystals now too). All they do at this point is clutter up the Bag.

I definitely would have carried Trainer customization over into ORAS. At the very least, keep the skin color options. And as a corollary to that, I despise that they stuck May in that awful Pop Star outfit for Contest Spectaculars. What I would have done is, I would have given both Brendan and May five different costumes each - one for each category, just like Cosplay Pikachu. I mean, May looks nine-hundred billion times cooler in the Rock Star outift. And I know, I know, "but then you'd have to put Brendan in the Pop Star outfit!" to which I say, "So what?" This is the game with that Wallace redesign. There's no "it's too flamboyant" excuse to fall back on. Hell, just give him a magenta version of Tucker's outfit and call it an Easter egg. (Or for that matter, actually have Tucker show up and give it to the player - that gets at another change I'd make; while I'm not hurt by the absence of the Battle Frontier in ORAS, and recognize that the Frontier Brains not appearing isn't ultimately a huge loss, I do think it would have least been possible to have them show up in fun little cameos, rather than just obliquely referencing three out of seven of them.)

I also hate that they got rid of O-Powers. Wouldn't do that. :mad:

Last edited:
Welp *cracks knuckles*

GSC:

-The Underground Path connecting Rt. 7 and Rt. 8 is open and connects with the Rt. 5-Rt. 6 path so you can go in any direction.
-The Pokemon distribution is overhauled so more Johto Pokemon are in Johto and more Kanto Pokemon are in Kanto:
-Houndour: Rt. 35 (Night)
-Slugma: Burned Tower
-Pikachu: Rt. 39
-Electabuzz: Rt. 39
-Clefairy: Ruins of Alph
-Murkrow: Rt. 42 (Night)
-Misdreavus: Mt. Mortar 2F (Night)
-Sneasel: Ice Path (Would be there from the start instead of just being in Crystal only)
-Larvitar: Dark Cave
-Drowzee: Rt. 11
-Farfetch'd: Rt. 11
-Koffing: Rt. 17
-Tangela: Rt. 21
-Lickitung: Rock Tunnel
-Johto gym leaders would have more 2nd gen Pokemon
Falkner: Hoothoot Lv. 10, Pidgeotto Lv. 12
Bugsy: Ledyba Lv. 14, Spinarak Lv. 14, Scyther Lv. 19
Whitney: Snubbull Lv. 23, Clefairy Lv. 23, Miltank Lv. 25
Morty: Haunter Lv. 27, Misdreavus Lv. 27, Gengar Lv. 29
Chuck: Primeape Lv. 31, Poliwrath Lv. 31, Heracross Lv. 33
Jasmine: Skarmory Lv. 37, Magneton Lv. 37, Steelix Lv. 39
Pryce: Sneasel Lv. 33, Dewgong Lv. 33, Piloswine Lv. 35
Clair: Gyarados Lv. 41, Dragonair Lv. 42, Dragonair Lv. 42, Kingdra Lv. 44
-Meowth and Persian are retconned to Normal/Dark

RS:

-National Dex is properly introduced in this game instead of FRLG (i.e. you would unlock it after beating the game instead of randomly obtaining it by trading)

FRLG:

-All 2nd gen evolutions are added to the Kanto Dex and are obtainable in the main game
-Plot is fleshed out with TR admins and Team Rocket actually having detailed plans beyond "LOL bad guys"
-Berry trees are added to Kanto instead of just finding them randomly on the ground.

HGSS:

-All changes from GSC carry over here.
-All cross gen evos added to the Johto Dex instead of just the ones that evolve by level up + move. Moss Rock is found in Viridian Forest, Icy Rock is found in Seafoam Islands, and Magenton evolves into Magnezone on Rt. 10.
-Mantine and Delibird would be swapped between HG and SS to balance out the added cross gen evos.
-The Volcano on Cinnibar Island is explorable and Moltres is found here instead of Mt. Silver. Other wild Pokemon found here include Growlithe/Vulpix, Ponyta, Rhydon, Weezing, Muk, Houndoom, and Magcargo
-Mt. Moon is expanded and has trainers.
-Trainers besides Silver are actually in Victory Road.
-The Odd Egg can be obtained from the Day Care Center like in Crystal.

BW:

-The Unova Dex is not limited to new Pokemon only, and the Pokemon that are obvious clones (Woobat, Roggenrola, Timburr, etc.) would not exist.
-Emolga is an evolution of Pachirisu and Alomomola is an evolution of Luvdisc
-Moss Rock is found in Abundant Shrine and Icy Rock is found in Giant Chasm.

BW2:

-Major overhaul to the distribution so that all 300 Unova Dex Pokemon would be obtainable in the main game and the post game areas would be filled with Pokemon that were DW exclusives. Some later game Pokemon are also moved to earlier in the game (seriously, you only have access to about half of the Dex in the first 3/4 of the game. That's insane)
-Munna: Gift from Fennel in Castelia City
-Yanma: Castelia City Park
-Gligar: Rt. 4
-Clefairy: Rt. 16
-Jigglypuff: Rt. 16
-Wingull: Driftveil Drawbridge
-Remoraid: Driftveil City
-Mantyke: Driftveil City
-Corphish: Virbank City, Driftveil City
-Bronzor: Relic Castle B5F, Celestial Tower
-Golett: Celestial Tower
-Durant: Reversal Mountain
-Heatmor: Reversal Mountain
-Carnivine: Rt. 14
-Vigoroth: Abundant Shrine
-Tropius: Rt. 13
-Pupitar: Rt. 11
-Croagunk: Rt. 22
-Stunfisk: Rt. 22
-Lickitung: Victory Road
-Unown: Secret B6F section of Relic Castle
-Cascoon/Silcoon/Beautifly/Dustox: Pinwheel Forest Inside (Cascoon/Silcoon more common in one version, Dustox/Beautifly exclusives)
-Nincada: Pinwheel Forest Inside
-Burmy: Pinwheel Forest Inside
-Machoke: Pinwheel Forest Outside, Twist Mountain
-Loudred: Wellspring Cave
-Graveler: Wellspring Cave, Twist Mountain, Clay Tunnel
-Luxio: Rt. 3
-Dusclops: Dreamyard
-Chimecho: Dreamyard
-Linoone: Rt. 3, Rt. 2, Rt. 1
-Kricketune: Rt. 2
-Tentacool: Rt. 17, Rt. 18
-Arbok: Rt. 18
-Scyther: Rt. 18
-Electrode: P2 Laboratory
-Porygon: P2 Laboratory
-Magcargo: Rt. 15
-Torkoal: Rt. 15
-Dugtrio: Clay Tunnel
-Snorunt: Twist Mountain
-Snover: Twist Mountain Outside
-Masquerain: Moor of Icirrus
-Gloom: Rt. 10 (see below)
-Tauros: Rt. 10 (see below)
-Miltank: Rt. 10 (see below)
-Rt. 10 remains in the game, but is post game. The path to the old Victory Road remains blocked, but you can catch new Pokemon here and find a secret entrance to Challenger's Cave (now blocked by a Strength boulder instead of collapsing). Mewtwo can be found inside Challenger's Cave.
-Grass Patch is added to the entrance of Twist Mountain to allow for earlier access to Ice types. Pokemon found here include Vanillite, Cubchoo, and Cryogonal.
-Hilbert/Hilda can be fought in Nature Preserve. Their team is scripted based on your character's version and starter:
Simipour/Simisage/Simisear Lv. 76, Musharna Lv. 77, Zoroark Lv. 77, Volcarona Lv. 77, Serperior/Emboar/Samurott Lv. 78, Reshiram/Zekrom Lv. 80
-Difficulties are a selectable option from the start.
-The upper floors of Relic Castle are completely gone. However, the lowest floor with Volcarona has been expanded into a multi-level maze of rooms with sandpits.
-The Key system allows you to switch entire areas to the other version's counterparts and allow you access to their exclusives. For instance, you can switch Rt. 4 from the Black 2 version to the White 2 version and can catch Mincinno and Braviary.
-Day Care Center moves to Rt. 5
-Fossils can be restored in Driftveil City instead of Nacrene Library. You can obtain one of the Cover or Plume Fossils from an ex-Team Plasma Grunt in Relic Castle.

XY:

-Difficulty modes would carry over from BW2.
-Storyline would be overhauled so Xerneas and Yveltal's roles are actually properly explained. Also, Malva would play a role in the main storyline, not just the Looker Bureau.
-Challenge Mode Rosters:
-Viola: Surskit Lv. 13, Nincada Lv. 13, Vivillon Lv. 15
-Grant: Onix Lv. 25, Amaura Lv. 26, Tyrunt Lv. 28
-Korrina: Mienfoo Lv. 34, Machoke Lv. 35, Hariyama Lv. 35, Hawlucha Lv. 37
-Ramos: Jumpluff Lv. 36, Weepinbell Lv. 37, Ferrothorn Lv. 37, Gogoat Lv. 39
-Clemont: Emolga Lv. 39, Magneton Lv. 40, Lanturn Lv. 40, Heliolisk Lv. 42
-Valerie: Mawile Lv. 44, Mr. Mime Lv. 45, Azumarill Lv. 45, Sylveon Lv. 47
-Olympia: Sigilyph Lv. 50, Slowking Lv. 51, Reuniclus Lv. 51, Wobbuffet Lv. 51, Meowstic Lv. 53
-Wulfric: Cryogonal Lv. 61, Beartic Lv. 62, Abomasnow Lv. 62, Mamoswine Lv. 62, Avalugg Lv. 64
-Malva: Pyroar Lv. 71, Torkoal Lv. 73, Houndoom Lv. 73, Chandelure Lv. 73, Talonflame Lv. 75
-Wikstrom: Klefki Lv. 72, Probopass Lv. 73, Escavalier Lv. 73, Scizor Lv. 73, Aegislash Lv. 75
-Siebold: Clauncher Lv. 71, Starmie Lv. 73, Sharpedo Lv. 73, Gyarados Lv. 73, Barbaracle Lv. 75
-Drasna: Dragalge Lv. 71, Altaria Lv. 73, Kingdra Lv. 73, Druddigon Lv. 73, Noivern Lv. 75
-Diantha: Hawlucha Lv. 74, Tyrantrum Lv. 75, Aurorus Lv. 75, Gourgeist Lv. 75, Goodra Lv. 76, Mega Gardevoir Lv. 78
-Battle Chateau rematches (Levels +10 in Challenge Mode):
-Viola: Masquerain Lv. 60, Ariados Lv. 61, Yanmega Lv. 62, Vespiquen Lv. 63, Scizor Lv. 64, Vivillon Lv. 65
-Grant: Golem Lv. 60, Probopass Lv. 61, Aerodactyl Lv. 62, Tyranitar Lv. 63, Aurorus Lv. 64, Tyrantrum Lv. 65
-Korrina: Hawlucha Lv. 60, Mienshao Lv. 61, Breloom Lv. 62, Pangoro Lv. 63, Machamp Lv. 64, Mega Lucario Lv. 65
-Ramos: Sawsbuck Lv. 60, Tangrowth Lv. 61, Roserade Lv. 62, Mow Rotom Lv. 63, Ferrothorn Lv. 64, Gogoat Lv. 65
-Clemont: Emolga Lv. 60, Jolteon Lv. 61, Galvantula Lv. 62, Magnezone Lv. 63, Luxray Lv. 64, Heliolisk Lv. 65
-Valerie: Mawile Lv. 60, Slurpuff Lv. 61, Aromatisse Lv. 62, Mr. Mime Lv. 63, Azumarill Lv. 64, Sylveon Lv. 65
-Olympia: Grumpig Lv. 60, Claydol Lv. 61, Musharna Lv. 62, Slowking Lv. 63, Alakazam Lv. 64, Meowstic Lv. 65
-Wulfric: Cryogonal Lv. 60, Beartic Lv. 61, Abomasnow Lv. 62, Walrein Lv. 63, Mamoswine Lv. 64, Avalugg Lv. 65
-Elite 4 rematch rosters (Levels + 10 in Challenge Mode):
-Malva: Pyroar Lv. 69, Camerupt Lv. 70, Ninetales Lv. 70, Chandelure Lv. 70, Talonflame Lv. 71, Mega Houndoom Lv. 73
-Wikstrom: Probopass Lv. 69, Escavalier Lv. 70, Bisharp Lv. 70, Lucario Lv. 70, Aegislash Lv. 71, Mega Scizor Lv. 73
-Siebold: Clauncher Lv. 69, Starmie Lv. 70, Shapedo Lv. 70, Milotic Lv. 70, Barbaracle Lv. 71, Mega Gyarados Lv. 73
-Drasna: Dragalge Lv. 69, Druddigon Lv. 70, Kingdra Lv. 70, Salamence Lv. 70, Noivern Lv. 71, Mega Garchomp Lv. 73
-Diantha: Hawlucha Lv. 72, Tyrantrum Lv. 73, Aurorus Lv. 73, Gourgeist Lv. 73, Goodra Lv. 74, Mega Gardevoir Lv. 76

ORAS:

-The Hoenn Dex would receive a significant expansion instead of just the cross gen evos, adding in completely new families of 1st, 2nd, 4th, 5th, and 6th gen Pokemon.
-Rattata: Rt. 101, Rt. 102, Rt. 103
-Petilil/Cottonee: Petalburg Woods
-Vanillite: Reward in Seashore House for defeating the trainers
-Helioptile: Rt. 110
-Elekid/Magby: Rt. 110
-Sunkern: Rt. 117
-Cherubi: Rt. 117
-Ponyta: Rt. 112, Jagged Pass
-Growlithe: Rt. 112 (now forms version exclusive pair with Vulpix)
-Darumaka: Rt. 113
-Rufflet/Vullaby: Rt. 113
-Clefairy: Meteor Falls
-Gastrodon: Rt. 115 (West Sea), Rt. 120 (East Sea)
-Mankey: Jagged Pass
-Gible: Rt. 111
-Frillish: Rt. 108, Rt. 122
-Joltik: New Mauville
-Klink: New Mauville
-Rotom: New Mauville
-Kricketune: Rt. 118, Rt. 119
-Yanma: Rt. 119
-Litwick: Mt. Pyre
-Misdreavus: Mt. Pyre
-Elgyem: Mt. Pyre
-Volcarona: Scorched Slab
-Aipom: Safari Zone
-Stantler: Safari Zone
-Floette: Rt. 123
-Remoraid: Rt. 124-131
-Mantyke: Rt. 124-131
-Lapras: Rt. 125
-Beartic: Shoal Cave
-Sneasel: Shoal Cave
-Finneon: Underwater
-Skrelp: Underwater
-Clauncher: Underwater
-Eelektrik: Seafloor Cavern
-Shuckle: Seafloor Cavern (Rock Smash)
-Carbink: Cave of Origin
-Druddigon: Victory Road
-Gym Leader/Elite 4 changes:
-Roxanne: Geodude Lv. 13, Nosepass Lv. 15
-Brawly: Machop Lv. 15, Meditite Lv. 15, Makuhita Lv. 19
-Wattson: Magnemite Lv. 21, Joltik Lv. 22, Voltorb Lv. 22, Manectric Lv. 24
-Flannery: Darumaka Lv. 28, Slugma Lv. 29, Numel Lv. 29, Torkoal Lv. 31
-Norman: Vigoroth Lv. 31, Raticate Lv. 32, Loudred Lv. 32, Slaking Lv. 34
-Winona: Pelipper Lv. 34, Swellow Lv. 35, Skarmory Lv. 35, Altaria Lv. 37
-Tate/Liza: Lunatone Lv. 44, Solrock Lv. 44
-Wallace: Alomomola Lv. 44, Whiscash Lv. 45, Sealeo Lv. 45, Waillord Lv. 45, Milotic Lv. 47
-Sidney: Mightyena Lv. 51, Cacturne Lv. 52, Weavile Lv. 52, Sharpedo Lv. 52, Absol Lv. 54
-Phoebe: Sableye Lv. 53, Banette Lv. 54, Mismagius Lv. 54, Jellicent Lv. 54, Dusknoir Lv. 56
-Glacia: Beartic Lv. 55, Glalie Lv. 56, Froslass Lv. 56, Vanilluxe Lv. 56, Walrein Lv. 58
-Drake: Druddigon Lv. 57, Altaria Lv. 58, Flygon Lv. 58, Dragalge Lv. 58, Salamence Lv. 60
-Steven: Skarmory Lv. 61, Claydol Lv. 62, Cradily Lv. 62, Armaldo Lv. 62, Aggron Lv. 63, Mega Metagross Lv. 64
Challenge Mode:
-Roxanne: Geodude Lv. 15, Aron Lv. 15, Nosepass Lv. 17
-Brawly: Machop Lv. 21, Mankey Lv. 22, Meditite Lv. 22, Makuhita Lv. 24
-Wattson: Magnemite Lv. 26, Joltik Lv. 27, Chinchou Lv. 27, Voltorb Lv. 27, Manectric Lv. 29
-Flannery: Darumaka Lv. 33, Slugma Lv. 34, Numel Lv. 34, Vulpix Lv. 34, Torkoal Lv. 36
-Norman: Vigoroth Lv. 36, Raticate Lv. 37, Loudred Lv. 37, Zangoose Lv. 37, Slaking Lv. 39
-Winona: Pelipper Lv. 39, Swellow Lv. 40, Skarmory Lv. 40, Braviary Lv. 40, Altaria Lv. 42
-Tate/Liza: Claydol Lv. 47, Xatu Lv. 47, Solrock Lv. 49, Lunatone Lv. 49
-Wallace: Alomomoala Lv. 48, Whiscash Lv. 49, Sealeo Lv. 49, Lapras Lv. 49, Waillord Lv. 50, Milotic Lv. 52
-The Battle Frontier would return, and it would be part of a larger post game archipelago. After clearing Sudowoodo, you can Surf down the Waterfall and head East to new areas or go through Artisan Cave and come out on the West side of the island to continue. Mirage Spots would be gone.
-Desert Underpass would be explorable again, and would contain Fossils that you can find by Rock Smash. At the other end of the Underpass is a secret ruins under the desert where you can find Unown.
-The post game expansion of the Safari Zone would function like the Friend Safari and contain the remaining starter HAs (2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th)
-Match Call functionality would be intact from Emerald and you can rematch gym leaders using it (Levels +10 in Challenge Mode):
-Roxanne: Golem Lv. 55, Cradily Lv. 56, Armaldo Lv. 57, Aerodactyl Lv. 58, Tyranitar Lv. 59, Probopass Lv. 60
-Brawly: Primeape Lv. 55, Poliwrath Lv. 56, Medicham Lv. 57, Heracross Lv. 58, Pangoro Lv. 59, Hariyama Lv. 60
-Wattson: Magnezone Lv. 55, Zebstrika Lv. 56, Galvantula Lv. 57, Heliolisk Lv. 58, Electrode Lv. 59, Manectric Lv. 60
-Flannery: Darmanitan Lv. 55, Camerupt Lv. 56, Ninetales Lv. 57, Magmortar Lv. 58, Talonflame Lv. 59, Torkoal Lv. 60
-Norman: Zangoose Lv. 55, Stoutland Lv. 56, Kangaskhan Lv. 57, Tauros Lv. 58, Snorlax Lv. 59, Slaking Lv. 60
-Winona: Pelipper Lv. 55, Swellow Lv. 56, Skarmory Lv. 57, Braviary Lv. 58, Togekiss Lv. 59, Altaria Lv. 60
-Tate/Liza: Reuniclus Lv. 56, Gothitelle Lv. 56, Gallade Lv. 58, Gardevoir Lv. 58, Solrock Lv. 60, Lunatone Lv. 60
-Wallace: Alomomola Lv. 55, Whiscash Lv. 56, Jellicent Lv. 57, Waillord Lv. 58, Lapras Lv. 59, Milotic Lv. 60
-Victory Road would be more like later Victory Roads and have a variety of environments indoor and outdoor instead of being a generic cave. Would also have a wider variety of Pokemon.
-Customization is retained from XY.
-Poke Marts merge into Pokemon Centers like in 5th, 6th, and 7th gen.

SM:

-Would be held off for the Switch instead of 3DS.
-All barriers on the islands would be removed, allowing you to go anywhere you want on the island from the first time you visit.
-The Rotom Dex would have DexNav functionality.
-SOS Battles would be limited to Totem Battles, Hordes would replace them in wild Pokemon battles.

Last edited:
Emerald
-The seas have more varied Pokemon, most fishing-exclusive Pokemon could be found in the surface.
-Ever grande city gets a city.
-Mirage island, Chimecho and Feebas have higher chances of appearing.
-The stones are buyable.
-The Johto starters are a gift in the Battle Frontier without prior requirements.

Platinum
-Zubat, Magikarp, Geodude, Tentacool and Wingull are replaced with cooler things. Same with Bibarel in the second half.
-HM use is reduced.
-Rock climb is 90 base power and Rock-type.
-The swamp and the snow are easier to walk in.
-Darkrai is not an event Pokemon.

HeartGold
-The level curve would be fixed.
-The safari's roster would be more creative.
-More extra story details, focusing more on the TR admins.
-HM use is reduced.

B2W2
-Hard and easy mode can be unlocked without trading, and they have effects on the PWT, the Battle Subway and the Battle Tree.
-More wild Pokemon in the postgame.
-Gym leaders can be rematched in the Stadium after fullfilling some conditions. Alder can be rematched too.
-The boyfriend/girlfriend subplot does not require a guide to be completed, you can call him/her and continue with it.
-The genies are catchable normally.

XY
-Some trainers in Battle Chateau have better teams.
-The story is more focused.
-Half of the Emma story happens in your second visit to Lumiose, and the other half happens in the postgame.
-More difficulty.
-Victory road contains Pokemon from all dex zones.
-There is a postgame zone called South Kalos :whistle: with 50 Pokemon to catch and new enviroments.
-The Megas would be more balanced across the regions, and all Megastones could be found in the main game.

ORAS
-Battle Frontier returns in glorious 3D.
-Wallace has his original design.
-Wally would be battled more times and his story would be less "in your face".
-Zinnia's story would have a clearer point.
-The Mauville apartments would be useful.
-A small dex expansion with Pokemon from newer gens.
-More towns would be redesigned.
-A postgame zone with 3 big islands, with new Pokemon.
-Phanpy would be found in the safari instead of Donphan.

SM
-Zubat, Magikarp, Geodude, Tentacool and Wingull are replaced with cooler things. Same with Gumshoos, Raticate and Trumbeak in the second half.
-Half of the Alolan forms are redesigned and given better typings. Also, there are 20-30 more from other regions.
-Fishing objects and fishing Pokemon are done in separate places. Magikarp becomes rare and gives the others some time to shine.
-The Battle Tree and the Battle Royale have easier modes.
-Turtonator gets an evo and Minior a preevo.
-The PC is a character in itself who has his own thoughts and reacts realistically to what happens, like in the Mystery Dungeon games. He is still customizable.
-More Aether, they help you in many situations and give you advantages in trials. Skull has less appareances but each one of those has more content.
-Ultra Beast quest replacing the League, you have to go to many new places around the region and defeat each one of the Ultra Beasts. Also, you partner with one Tapu in double battles. Maybe something like this:
You & Tapu Koko vs 2 Nihilego
You & Tapu Lele vs 2 Buzzwhole/Pheromosa
You & Tapu Bulu vs 2 Xurkitree
You & Tapu Fini vs 2 Kartana/Celesteela
You & Nebby vs Guzzlord, which gets a more active role as the leader of the UBs and the strongest of them.
The UBs would be uncatchable in this part. Then in the postgame, you can catch them normally just like in the normal game, and you can go to the league too.
-More postgame Pokemon.
-The trials have puzzles and stuff, and they are never treated like a child's game.
-Rotomdex does not tell you where to go.
-More open houses, towers & stuff, if I couldn't finish them in time I would add them as free DLC at least.
-Amie minigames.
-Supertraining returns.
-QR codes can sometimes generate Pokemon in the wild in a certain zone.

This would almost make Seadra literally invincible in the Gen 1 games.
Not really...? Seadra isn't very good. It would simply be, at most, a considerably worse Kingdra.
Especially with giving use to the Dragon weakness, which is the whole point in the first place.
It even loses resistance to Blizzard which is a huge deal in Gen I battling. (And for in-game... the Dragon Rage change makes it lose most of the HP it's going to ever have, and the starter most concerned about it can learn both that and Dragonbreath.)
Maybe the concern is it having an unresisted STAB, but considering it's just a 60BP special move (which is easier to wall in gen 1), it is not SE on anything that either isn't itself or would care, and that Seadra really can't do anything else I'd think it balances out.

I would add gym leader rematches in every game, and also E4 will have different and much, much stronger team for the rematches. Of course, that would mean that there would have to be a decent amount of postgame so you can lvl up your pkmn easier.

Also, what I posted in another thread:
If most of the bad guys in the game are all about stealing other people's pokemon, then why all of them have exactly the same pokemon? Isn't it logical that if you're stealing pokemon, you'd steal some interesting/strong ones, and not a bunch of rattatas or zubats or what else.

I wish GSC had better level scaling for the gyms, like;
  • GYMS
  1. Hoothoot Lv10, Noctowl Lv14, some flying move as a TM reward.
  2. Ledian Lv19, Ariados LV19, Heracross Lv21
  3. Teddiursa Lv23, Stantler Lv24, Miltank Lv25
  4. Haunter Lv27, Gengar Lv29, Misdreavus Lv29, Gengar Lv30 (Not much I can do with this one.)
  5. Primeape Lv33, Hitmontop Lv34, Poliwhirl Lv35
  6. Skarmory Lv 34, Magneton Lv35, Forretress Lv35, Steelix Lv37
  7. Sneasel Lv 38, Lapras Lv 38, Jynx Lv 39, Piloswine Lv 40
  8. Seadra Lv 40, Gyarados Lv 40, Dragonair Lv 42, Dragonair Lv42, Kingdra Lv45
  • E4
  1. Xatu Lv50, Slowbro Lv 50, Wobbuffet Lv 51, Xatu Lv 52, Slowking Lv53
  2. Weezing Lv52, Pinsir Lv52, Venomoth Lv53, Muk Lv53, Scizor Lv55
  3. Steelix Lv54, Hitmonchan Lv55, Hitmonlee Lv55, Hitmontop Lv55, Machamp Lv 57
  4. Murkrow Lv56, Houndoom Lv57, Umbreon Lv57, Gengar Lv58, Tyranitar Lv 59
  5. Aerodactyl Lv 60, Charizard Lv 61, Gyarados Lv62, Kingdra, Lv 63, Dragonite Lv64, Dragonite Lv65
And then, the Kanto gyms would average around 65-70. Finally, E4 rematches.

1. 1. Xatu Lv70, Slowbro Lv 70, Wobbuffet Lv 71, Xatu Lv 72, Slowking Lv73
    2. Weezing Lv72, Pinsir Lv72, Venomoth Lv73, Muk Lv73, Scizor Lv75
    3. Steelix Lv74, Hitmonchan Lv75, Hitmonlee Lv75, Hitmontop Lv75, Machamp Lv 75
    4. Murkrow Lv78, Houndoom Lv75, Umbreon Lv75, Gengar Lv78, Tyranitar Lv 79
    5. Aerodactyl Lv 80, Charizard Lv 81, Gyarados Lv82, Kingdra, Lv 83, Dragonite Lv84, Dragonite Lv85
Beating the 8 Kanto gyms unlocks the E4 rebattles, the first time you battle, Lance has similar speech to when Blue became champion in RBY, this time Silver comes in as a 6th battle;

Champion Silver
Sneasel Lv 80, Crobat Lv80, Alakazam Lv83, Gengar Lv83, Magneton Lv 83, Typhlosion/Meganium/Feraligatr Lv 86

Once Silver has been beaten, subsequent E4 rematches will end in a rotating 6th battles with Red, Blue or Silver.

Champion Red
Espeon Lv 80, Snorlax Lv80, Venusaur Lv83, Blastoise Lv83, Charizard Lv83, Pikachu Lv 86

Champion Blue
Elm's leftover starter Lv 80, Rhydon Lv80, Vaporeon Lv83, Flareon Lv83, Jolteon Lv83, Pidgeot Lv 86

Champions Silver and Blue can be rebattled in New Bark Town and Pallet Town respectively, whilst Red remains atop Mt. Silver

Would have not removed the season cycle in future games. It was a really nice addition imo. Also the entire Battle Frontier in ORAS would have been nice too.
It's the teasing of it they did in ORAS that bothers me most. At the least, they could have given us the Battle Tower, like in R/S (gotta admit I never did much with any of the Battle facilities cause it isn't really my thing)

Ideally, if I could change something about ORAS, it would be to add the Battle Tower (and remove Maison) and Scott. Let the player meet Scot a couple times during the main campaign, like in Emerald (maybe less, just enough to remind the player he exists and something is going on). Once you arrive at the island, Scott introduces you, tells you in more detail about his plan to set up the frontier, then puts you on a quest to unlock the different facilities (ideally, in whatever order you prefer). By using the facilities more, the BF becomes more popular and more facilities can be openen

Aside from that, I would probably add a small new area to Meteor Falls as part of the Delta Episode, with as couple houses, and dub it the Draconid Village (or give it another name, that doesn't matter). I judt thought it was weird Zinnia and her grandmother were the only Draconids ever encountered even though apparently their people have been around forever. Just a little secret area that opens at the end of the episode, when you've proven your worth by saving Hoenn, where you can find Zinnia's grandmother and maybe hear the history of the Draconids again or something. Potentially some sort of mini-game?

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom