• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
aI1hXqi.png

In the recent past, a programmer and former Pokémon trainer named Andromeda Jameson creates a video game for Silph Entertainment Software as a tech demo. Based upon the Digimon franchise, the game utilizes the same principles developed for the Porygon project to permit limitless, lifelike AI. Silph is so impressed with her work that they pursue a development license from Bandai Namco.

Now, Digimon World Online has taken the world by storm with its stunning graphics and gameplay. But, what Andromeda has kept secret from both players and Silph is that the game isn't just a game. Having been created using the Porygon technology—a technology that resulted in an actual lifeform—the Digital World, and all of the Digimon within it, are very real and alive. Not only that, it is even possible to physically enter and leave the Digital World at will with the right equipment.

Most shocking of all, however, is the fact that Digimon of the highest levels are potentially even more powerful than most legendary Pokémon. Coupled with the fact that they can, in theory, simply be programmed for total loyalty, this has made them highly desirable for use as weapons by the military of the United Pokémon Territories.

Having failed to hack the game's source code, the military has instead dispatched an operative designated "sonicstar229" into the Digital World to reprogram the Digimon one by one. Andromeda has done her best to fight back, but has unfortunately been driven into hiding.

In her place, the game has chosen you as one of its protectors. As both a Pokémon trainer and a DigiDestined, it will be up to you to master the monsters of both worlds and stop sonicstar229 from upsetting the balance of power.

RULES:

In general, I have only three main rules:

1) No godmodding. If you don't know what that is, look it up.

2) No explicit sexual content. I'm not just being a prude, here; to be blunt, it interrupts the flow of the story. If your characters must be intimate with one another, do everyone a favor and send them offscreen for a while.

3) This RPG uses English dub terminology for both the Pokémon and Digimon elements, where available. Your character may express a differing preference in dialogue, but please stick to this model in narration to avoid confusion.

More specific rules are noted in the sections below.

SETTING:

This RPG uses the Pokémon world as the "real" world. The primary canon is that of the video games, with elements of the other continuities added in where appropriate or interesting. You may start in and explore any region up to Generation VII.

You can also start in and/or travel to real world locations (such as Japan or the United States) if desired, bearing in mind that wild Pokémon may only be encountered in the Pokémon regions until a proper method of predicting wild Pokémon patterns in Pokémon GO is determined.

The Digital World is located on a development server, far from the prying eyes of the game's regular players. On entering, you will first appear in the Primary Village on File Island, which is located in A-Sector, an area of the Digital World based on its appearance in Digimon Adventure and other materials from that era. There are also T-, F-, S- and X-Sectors based on subsequent media, but they are currently inaccessible due to sonicstar229 shutting down their access points. These may be brought back online as the game progresses.

GAMEPLAY:

This is a fairly open-world game with few limits on where you can go or what you can do.

Combat is turn-based and officiated by the GM (that's me). You declare your move, your opponent declares their move, then I tell you the result. Pretty simple, right? If there are more than two combatants, please make sure I know who all is participating. Pokémon and Digimon may not attack humans or vice versa.

Human-on-human combat is permitted, but has no associated gameplay mechanics. I ask only that you refrain from godmodding.

Most of the core series Pokémon games' mechanics, such as levels, the stat system and basic combat mechanics, are ported over to this RPG, along with several additions from spinoff media. The same mechanics are also applied to Digimon, with some unique twists. The possibilities are pretty broad, so I won't try to list them all here. If you have a question about a specific feature, you need only ask.

Items can be purchased in shops or via the D-Terminal, or can be dropped by defeated opponents. Wild Pokémon can be caught the same way as in the handheld games, while defeated Digimon may randomly offer to join you. Digimon may be stored in the D-Terminal for convenience.

I will keep track of just about everything behind the scenes. You may still wish to keep your own record of your party and inventory, however.

CHARACTER CREATION:

Characters begin with one thousand Pokémon Dollars (₱1,000), a Pokédex, any desired Pokémon apps, one Potion, five Poké Balls, a Digivice and a D-Terminal. You are not limited to one character, and may submit as many as you feel you can reasonably keep track of. All characters must be original. Please wait to be approved before you begin playing.

Username: Your forum username goes here.
Name: Your character's name.
Nickname (Optional): If your character has a nickname, this is where it goes.
Age: Your character's age. Older children and adolescents are encouraged, but there is no law against adult trainers and DigiDestined.
Sex: Your character's biological sex.
Gender (Optional): Your character's psychological gender, if different from their sex.
Nationality: Your character's country of origin and/or citizenship. Can be one of the Pokémon regions or a real world location.

Starter Pokémon: You may start with one non-legendary, non-glitch Pokémon at a Baby or Basic evolutionary stage. Phione counts as a legendary for the purposes of the game, and is therefore disallowed. YOU MAY NOT START WITH A SHINY POKÉMON. All starter Pokémon start at level 5.

First Digimon Partner: This can be any Fresh-level Digimon EXCEPT for Arukadhimon, Jyarimon or Poyomon, for story reasons. All first Digimon partners start at level 1.

Pokémon Apps (Optional): You may have any combination of the following: P★DA, Pokégear, PokéNav/PokéNav Plus, Pokétch, C-Gear/Xtransceiver, Player Search System/Holo Caster

Appearance: Your character's appearance. Please try to be as detailed as possible.

Personality: Your character's personality/disposition. Please try to be as detailed as possible.

History: Your character's backstory. Please try to be as detailed as possible.

Have fun!

ACCEPTED CHARACTERS:

Keanan West — Lone_Garurumon
Celia "Lia" Kurogami — Alex64
Michael "Mike" Wilson — SeanWheeler

Last edited:
As poorly as turn based/GM officiated battle type RPs tend to go here, I need to be a part of this should it get off the ground. Fair warning, force of habit will make me use the Japanese quite often. I'll try to proofread and catch it before posting, but there may be a few that get through. Just warning.

Username: Lone_Garurumon
Name: Keanan West
Sex: Male
Nationality: Sinnoh

Starter Pokemon: Loki the Rockruff, Male (Backup: Rohan the Electrike, Male)

Digimon Partner: Punimon

Pokemon Apps: Holo-Caster, Pokenav

Appearance: Having hit his growth spurt early, Keanan's tall for his age, standing around 4 inches taller than most, and due to his current stage of development, rather lanky. He has medium length brown hair that he never really bothers doing anything with, usually just letting it sit however it ends up. His clothing tends to just be whatever's right for the weather, he mostly wears thongs when able though (That's the footwear! I just refuse to use "Flip-Flops" OK?) Upon becoming a Digidestined, he went out and buy a pair of aviator's goggles to wear on his head, as is the standard fare.

Personality: Keanan has what some people would call "Chronic Hero Syndrome". Basically he can't stand to see people in trouble, and just does what he can, regardless of whether it'd be a better idea to just keep walking. In fact he's gotten suspended from school more than once for sticking up for a kid he saw getting picked on. He tries to be a fun guy to be around, making jokes and such to try and lighten the mood if necessary.

History: Keanan was born in the US, but his parents moved to Sinnoh when he was still a baby, so he really has no idea what the place was like. He never went out on a Pokemon journey, so he's still in school.

Last edited:
Is it OK to just say Rockruff now, knowing that in about 4 days Sun and Moon will be out?
If the base stats and stuff are available by then, I guess it's fine. Have a backup plan just in case, though, okay?

You can also feel free to specify your Pokémon's nickname and gender.

Digimon Partner: Punimon (As a question: isn't the Fresh Stage a little much? Since they're almost universally helpless for the most part. Punimon's Digimon Reference Book profile even explicitly states "It is unable to battle")
If it proves unable to battle effectively, use your Pokémon to bait-and-switch it until it hits level 4, at which point it can Digivolve to an In-Training level and stay that way. At level 15, it can maintain a Rookie form; at 31, a Champion, and so on.

Through the use of a modified Synergy mechanic (taken from Pokkén Tournament), it can also access the next immediate Digivolutionary form before reaching the necessary level, as if it were a Mega Evolution.

Note, however, that you will need to manually select which Digimon to Digivolve your partner into prior to entering battle, and that some other requirements must also be fulfilled. This is managed through the D-Terminal, where Digivolutionary forms may be purchased at a relatively small cost, and items found in the Digital World (including those required for Digivolution) may be stored. It works similarly to the Digital Monster Card Game; the desired Digivolutionary form and its requirements must be equipped on, or "plugged into" the relevant Digimon.

History: Pretty standard life up until the whole "Digidestined thing".

Is there any chance you could go into more detail here?

Username: Alex64
Name: Celia Kurogami
Nickname: Lia
Sex: Female
Nationality: Johto
Starter Pokémon: Totodile
First Digimon Partner: Kuramon
Pokémon Apps: Pokégear
Appearance: Standing at 5'7", Celia has a slim figure with an average bust, fair complexion, and deep blue eyes. She has hip-length dark brown hair, parted on the left with a blonde streak running through it, usually worn in a high ponytail. Her normal outfit consists of a black denim jacket over a red tank-top, grey jeans, and dark red shoes.
Personality: Celia is what some would call a 'thorny rose'. To a stranger, she would seem quite rude and uncaring, and the sort to return cruelty tenfold. A smile is an expression almost never seen on her face; she almost always has a steely glare. Yet she does have her soft spots: the level of kindness she shows to her Pokémon and Digimon is to be envied, and if you do manage to become friends with her, you'll have gained a trustworthy ally.
History: Born in Unova's Castelia City, Celia's parents divorced when she was 5, and she's lived with her father, who moved to Johto, ever since. Though she resides in New Bark Town, where Prof. Elm resides, she hasn't started on a Pokémon journey yet, claiming a lack of interest. As such, she's currently still in school, albeit in her last year; it's unclear what she'll pursue afterwards, if anything.

Also, I'm asking for everyone here, but what's your policy on profanity?

Approved. Welcome aboard, Alex64!

Also, I'm asking for everyone here, but what's your policy on profanity?
I don't have a particular policy. My personal preference is to avoid the stronger end in dialogue and keep it out of narration entirely, but the rest of you are under no obligation to follow the same model.

Maybe I'll join for some experience of playing a forum RPG.

Username: SeanWheeler
Name: Michael Wilson
Nickname: Mike
Nationality: Kanto
Starter Pokémon: Charmander

First Digimon Partner: Botamon

Appearance: Mike is 5'8. He has brown hair and blue eyes. He wears glasses, blue skinny jeans, a green shirt and a red jacket. He has scrawny muscles.

Personality: Mike is a hot-headed jerk with a big crush on Lia. He is really impulsive and impatient. But he has a good heart and is really smart. He is both a geek and a jock.

History: Mike was born in Viridian City, Kanto. He played many Nintendo games. He didn't get his Charmander until his sixteenth birthday. He has never been in a relationship but he's been waiting for the day he finds someone.

From the look of it, this appears to be a very unstructured RP in what we're allowed to do, most of the RPs we see here have a fair amount of structure in what the characters are doing at any one time, but this one looks to be giving us a lot of free reign.
Also, the combat, in most of the RPs here, combat is dictated solely by the combatant players (unless there's some obvious godmodding going on), but this says the combat will be a turn based system with the GM telling us how things go, which isn't very common around here.
I'm not saying that this way of running things is bad, just uncommon here.

Maybe I'll join for some experience of playing a forum RPG.

Username: SeanWheeler
Name: Michael Wilson
Nickname: Mike
Nationality: Kanto
Starter Pokémon: Charmander

First Digimon Partner: Botamon

Appearance: Mike is 5'8. He has brown hair and blue eyes. He wears glasses, blue skinny jeans, a green shirt and a red jacket. He has scrawny muscles.

Personality: Mike is a hot-headed jerk with a big crush on Lia. He is really impulsive and impatient. But he has a good heart and is really smart. He is both a geek and a jock.

History: Mike was born in Viridian City, Kanto. He played many Nintendo games. He didn't get his Charmander until his sixteenth birthday. He has never been in a relationship but he's been waiting for the day he finds someone.
I'm good with this. Welcome aboard, SeanWheeler!

We now have enough players to start the game. Signups will remain open in case anyone else still wishes to join in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom