• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon vs. Pocket Monsters

Xenidal

Reaction score
I've heard that the name "Pocket Monsters" had to be changed to "Pokémon" outside of Japan because they couldn't trademark "Pocket Monsters" due to the similarity between that phrase and "Monster in My Pocket". I was wondering if this is true or not... it makes perfect sense, except for one thing -- the monsters are commonly referred to as "ポケモン pokemon"... even in the original Red and Green Versions. If that variation was already in use then isn't it possible that they could have just chose that name for marketing reasons / because it's simpler and not because of some trademark conflict?

I've heard that the name "Pocket Monsters" had to be changed to "Pokémon" outside of Japan because they couldn't trademark "Pocket Monsters" due to the similarity between that phrase and "Monster in My Pocket". I was wondering if this is true or not... it makes perfect sense, except for one thing -- the monsters are commonly referred to as "ポケモン pokemon"... even in the original Red and Green Versions. If that variation was already in use then isn't it possible that they could have just chose that name for marketing reasons / because it's simpler and not because of some trademark conflict?

In the original japanese the official title is pocket monsters and the official shortening is pokemon which is used as the name of the creatures.

I'm aware of that... I'm just wondering if the reason for re-naming it was really trademark issues or if the shortened term "Pokémon" was just simpler. I mean, take Digimon for example. There would have been no trademark issues with the name "Digital Monsters", but they chose to shorten it anyway.

I imagine that the ones who own the "Monster in my Pocket" franchise would sue Nintendo for using the name "Pocket Monsters" on the grounds that they have both the words "Monster" and "Pocket" in it, similar to how Facebook trademarked the words "Face" and "Book" to prevent similar occurrences. However, I think it is a great decision to rename it Pokémon because that name sounds catchier than Pocket Monsters. It also keep things simple for everyone else, because everyone can just call it Pokémon instead of some people calling it Pocket Monsters and others calling it Pokemon.

Thanks for reading.

What is the world are monsters in my pocket? Either way I like Pokemon much better. Its fun to say and it's more original. Kids would have just said 'monsters' anyways instead of 'Pocket Monsters'. If there were a issue with TM then it probably would have been Pocket Monsters for a while longer. I don't know about infrigment but they probably wanted something more original.

I wonder what Pocket Monsters sounds like in Japanese since it's shortened?

Monster In My Pocket was something from (I believe) the '90s. I really don't rememer anything about it other than the name (I don't even remember if I knew about it before I heard of Pokémon or if I heard of it because of the trademark issue). But anyway, they had trading cards and comic books and video games so yeah, it'd definitely be similar enough that the trademark would affect "Pocket Monsters" (unlike if it was completely different, like a brand of dishwasher called "Monster in My Pocket", which in that case I don't think they could legally do anything about it since no one is going to confuse a dishwasher company for a video game).

Not only stole the name but:

They stole the idea and concept from them. Monsters in my Pocket 1989 - Pokemon 1995. Remember they had figurines, cards, comics etc. they improve the idea of battle them, they have point values (like HP), height, species (like the types on pokemon), speed, intelligence, strength, and weakness. I used to collect them so i got an idea of what i'm talking about.

Shame on you Game Freak you are the real Team Rocket

Yes, it's a shortening. Poketto Monsuta Aka to Midori - Pokemon AM. "Poke" pronounced like "Pocke" in "Pocket", "Mon" like the "Mon" in "Monster" (IIRC "Pockemon" - pronounced pok-keh-MON is name of a french professional dancing band and propably an actual french surname too. Some bands can get cartoons and videogames, and some videogames such as Vocaloid are p-much used to make bands and there is bands made using videogame sounds as a genre. May be that's this why they left out the C.) and AM is pronounced "a emu" which is japonesization of how those letters are pronounced in english.

A dishwasher company could become a company who produces sanitary products in general, expanding both to medicine and to underwear. The medicine thing would spread to natural remedies and organic foods and maybe even books and videos about health, i presume there could end up being a videogame where you defeat the titular monsters in the pocket. Such as lint or viruses or w\ever.

Yes, it's a shortening. Poketto Monsuta Aka to Midori - Pokemon AM. "Poke" pronounced like "Pocke" in "Pocket"

This has always bothered me. The word itself is Pokémon, which is pronounced "poke uh mon" by most people in commercials and "poke ayy mon" in the English dub of the anime. Strangely, neither derivative resembles "pocket."

This has always bothered me. The word itself is Pokémon, which is pronounced "poke uh mon" by most people in commercials and "poke ayy mon" in the English dub of the anime. Strangely, neither derivative resembles "pocket."
Nonetheless, "poe-kay-mon" is the correct pronunciation, both in the Latin alphabet and original katakana. "Pokey-mon" is probably the most common mispronunciation I hear (and the one I'm most likely to correct).

Nonetheless, "poe-kay-mon" is the correct pronunciation, both in the Latin alphabet and original katakana. "Pokey-mon" is probably the most common mispronunciation I hear (and the one I'm most likely to correct).

Still doesn't sound like pocket though .~.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom