• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon with 3 types?

Sylveon

Reaction score
I think there are several Pokemon that should really have a third type, or at the very least replace one type with another. I know this would complicate the type-charts a little, but I don't really see a big problem with it. I'm glad the new Fairy-type made a few retcons, but here are some more examples:

Charizard (pre-Mega Evolution): Fire/Flying/Dragon
Beedrill: Bug/Poison/Flying
Aerodactyl: Rock/Flying/Dragon
Hoothoot: Normal/Flying/Psychic
Noctowl: Normal/Flying/Psychic
Scizor: Bug/Steel/Flying
Tyranitar: Rock/Ground/Dark
Lugia: Psychic/Flying/Water
Dustox: Bug/Poison/Flying
Latias: Dragon/Psychic/Flying
Latios: Dragon/Psychic/Flying
Hydreigon: Dark/Dragon/Flying

For Gyarados, I'd just change it to a Water/Dragon type. What is the point of it being a Flying type? It can't even learn any Flying-type moves.
I have no idea why Groudon isn't a part-Fire type.
And, at a stretch, I'd change Horsea and Seadra so that they are also part-Dragon types.

What do you guys think? Is three types pushing it a bit?

I think it would get too complicated when trying to calculate damage, especially for younger players. Right now a move has 5 forms of effectiveness: 0, x.25, x.5, x1, x2, and x4. Introducing a third type would throw a wrench into this. For example, say a Pokemon was Grass, Flying, and Ground and is hit by an Ice Beam. Would the Ground be cancelled out by Grass and it just deal x.5 damage? Or would they have a completely new system in this case? I just don't think it's worth the effort that players would have to put forth.

For example, say a Pokemon was Grass, Flying, and Ground and is hit by an Ice Beam. Would the Ground be cancelled out by Grass and it just deal x.5 damage? .

This one is easy, considering Grass/Flying/Ground has 3 weaknesses to Ice Beam. 2x2x2 = 8x damage.

I think what you MEANT to suggest was Grass/Flying/Water, where there are two resists and one weakness. I assume it would be 2x2x.5 = 2x damage.

8x weaknesses and 8x resistances is probably too powerful. As an example, I know that my Vileplume is going to die to Blaziken, but it's not like Leaf Storm is completely ineffective, it will still do ~30% damage before I die.

For example, say a Pokemon was Grass, Flying, and Ground and is hit by an Ice Beam. Would the Ground be cancelled out by Grass and it just deal x.5 damage? .

This one is easy, considering Grass/Flying/Ground has 3 weaknesses to Ice Beam. 2x2x2 = 8x damage.

I think what you MEANT to suggest was Grass/Flying/Water, where there are two resists and one weakness. I assume it would be 2x2x.5 = 2x damage.

8x weaknesses and 8x resistances is probably too powerful. As an example, I know that my Vileplume is going to die to Blaziken, but it's not like Leaf Storm is completely ineffective, it will still do ~30% damage before I die.

Oh wow, I was not thinking straight when I wrote that. I didn't meant to have three types that Ice is Super effective against.

Well that just lost me all credibility I might have had in Pokemon matters.

If third type is to be introduce, very obviously the type effectiveness multipliers must need to change.

As it just implies, if a Pokemon has type combination that is all three types weak to attack of one type, the received damage will be 2x2x2=8x damage, which is just too much. And with the same argument, the lowest possible damage will then be 0.5x0.5x0.5=0.125x, which is just too weak.

If ever had any chance that 3rd type is introduce, the type effectiveness multipliers IMO should then be 0.66x for not very effective and 1.33x for super effective. Then the highest and lowest possible damage to be receive will become 1.33x1.33x1.33=2.35x and 0.66x0.66x0.66=0.29x, which now is in a much more reasonable damage range.
Another alternative can be 0.75x for not very effective and 1.25x for super effective, then highest and lowest possible damage to be receive will be 0.75x0.75x0.75=0.42x and 1.25x1.25x1.25=1.95x. But then this will make Pokemon series more like a traditional RPG game. So rather the above-mentioned one will be a better choice.

It would mean that some Pokemon will be facing death if they fight certain Pokemon, while probably getting certain victory over others. I like the idea. Competitive play needs some more spice.

Interestingly, Trick-or-Treat adds a Ghost-type to the target, meaning that even if the target is a dual-type, it will still be in effect, so in essence, it will give them a triple type.

A Hawlucha will become Fighting/Flying/Ghost after being hit with this move, meaning that it will be immune to Fighting and Ground, but weak to Psychic. This is probably the only way to achieve a triple type in-game. Due to this, there can't be a triple weakness since Ghost and Dark are super-effective on two types each, but there can be a triple resistance to Bug or Poison.

Thanks for reading.

For Gyarados, I'd just change it to a Water/Dragon type. What is the point of it being a Flying type? It can't even learn any Flying-type moves.
I have no idea why Groudon isn't a part-Fire type.

Gyarados learns Bounce. Also, Groudon only really has connections to magma (moreso than fire) because it's associated with the deep underground where magma is generally found, as well as the sun and heat to contrast to Kyogre's rain and water.

For me, Tri-typed Pokemon just screams disaster. Especially considering how confusing it'd be to calculate damage (as mentioned previously) and it'd break many trainer's play-styles.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom